Satanism?

pettman
User is offlineOffline
Satanism?

I'm kind of curious what other atheists think about (theistic) satanism, is it worse, just as bad as or not as bad as Christianity (or the other Abrahamitic religions)?

My own opinion is that they are just as bad since they irrationally believe (or pretend to believe just to be "cool", which is even worse) in a supernatural entity and worship it in order to gain advantages of one form or another.

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
pettman wrote: My own

pettman wrote:
My own opinion is that they are just as bad since they irrationally believe (or pretend to believe just to be "cool", which is even worse) in a supernatural entity and worship it in order to gain advantages of one form or another.

I agree. I don't know much about Satan worship. But if they actually believe there's an invisible, monsterous deity floating around out there somewhere that can read their thoughts and do magic then they're as looney as the other guys.

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Delusion, is delusion, is

Delusion, is delusion, is delusion, is delusion, is delusion, is delusion, is delusion, is delusion, is delusion, is delusion, is delusion, is delusion, is delusion, is delusion.

Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Mormonism, Satanism, Scientology, Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism, Paganism, Deism, Pantheism... all invoke some kind of magic and that is where my brain kicks in and says, "no".

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
Satanism is generally

Satanism is generally misunderstood by many people. Most atheists know that modern non-theistic satanism is more of a moral code and philosophy than anything. I have only met one theist who knows what satanism really is. http://www.modernsatanism.com/satanism.html that provides a little insight on modern satanism. (WARNING: there are some elitest attacks by the author at the bottom of the page on satanism vs. atheism)

As for theistic satanism, yes, it is in my opinion even more ridiculous than xtianity.

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
joshpatten wrote: As for

joshpatten wrote:

As for theistic satanism, yes, it is in my opinion even more ridiculous than xtianity.

You said it right here. There are different forms of 'Satanism', just like Christianity, and any that invoke the supernatural are hogwash.

TwilightOfTheIdols
TwilightOfTheIdols's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is true that many

It is true that many philosophical Satanists, especially those within the infmaous "Church of Satan", are indeed atheists.  They do not believe in a metaphysical entity called Satan, nor do they believe in demons, hell, or any other nonsense.  It is more a system of living whereby individual strength is exhalted above external spirituality.

Just as a bit of evidence that, despite the fact that it's quite theatrial, Satanism is a fairly serious set of beliefs, check out the podcast of Peter Gilmore on Point of Inquiry:

http://www.pointofinquiry.org/?p=122

In my personal view, the ritualistic side of Church of Satan style Satanism whereby the participant is encouraged to discard intellectual objections to the proceedings, seems stupid.  However the moral system that was endorsed in The Satanic Bible is really quite practical, and certainly more admirable than the 10 commandments or whatever other distilled list of do's and don't that you might find.

To answer the OP though, I personally think that the worship of an actual Satan is less harmful than Christianity, if only because it is such an isolated viewpoint that the movement is unlikely to gather any momentum.  It is my feeling that religions are only harmful insofar as they effect my right to not feel the same way.  Christianity, in America, is enemy #1 by virtue of the fact that it's adherents pump their views directly into your lives in political, recreational, and professtional venues.   The idealist side of me wants to say that all such belief systems are equally absurd, and while they are, I really feel that whichever one is the most persistent and pervasive in socity must be labeled the most harmful. 

Through the clouds
Through the lies
You'll never see what's never been
At the passing of life and the coming of death
Pass not through it's gates, but into the dark

DrTerwilliker
DrTerwilliker's picture
User is offlineOffline
I respect Satanists' moral

I respect Satanists' moral code a lot more than I respect those of other religions.  They basically believe in indulging their urges and experiencing pleasure responsibly.  I don't know why you need a weird spiritual group to allow you to do that, but whatever.  At least they aren't trying to make everyone just like them.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
    Vexen Crabtree's

Vexen Crabtree's website on Satanism is one of the best  http://www.vexen.co.uk/vexen/satanist.html

generally they are fun atheists with a humorous  message, ie shock treatment effect against religion.

Vesha
Vesha's picture
User is offlineOffline
Instead of worshipping an

Instead of worshipping an alpha male it's being the alpha male.  I'd still have to refute the idea of not wanting to help people by curing the mental disease of theist-ism ,but someone has to do it.

eldeeder
eldeeder's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've actually read "The

I've actually read "The Satanic Bible" (Anton LeVay) and the first part of it actually seems to be based on the book "Might is Right." Very mackiavellian (no idea how to spell that) Then it starts to go into the spells and its just crazy. Satanic cults are a lot like midevil witch covens. They just don't exist. (Im sure some do, but not even close to the extent people think)

I think satanists view themselves as in control of their own destiny, and they've chosen the "Anti" christian god for a symbol as a form of rebellion.

Dont get me wrong, its all nonsense, but a satanists definition of satanism is MUCH different from a christians view of a satanist. 

Edited to add: As an Atheist, I really don't like being lumped in with satanists. Thats half the reason I stayed agnostic so long. It is hard enough to get religous people to just REASON, let alone trying to get them to "Come to the dark side."  Regardless of whatever they believe, Satanists don't do us any favors...

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
    ... there more than

... there more than one way to skin a cat, thank goodness for halloween, laughing at the devil, that is good thing .... and shouldn't we "pray" for the one that needs it most , the devil, said mark twain !

love that twain , google his quotes .... hee hee

theotherguy
theotherguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Satanism is just as

Satanism is just as irrational and stupid as christianity.

People follow satanism when they not only believe in christianity, but feel like "rebelling" so they can feel cool and do the "wrong" thing. If there were no christianity, there'd be no satanism.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
   "If there were no

"If there were no christianity, there'd be no satanism. "

YUP ! but there is .... so go get em Satan !