Activism Poll: Christian companies

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Activism Poll: Christian companies

Atheists:  Do you actively avoid any Christian owned, or openly Christian companies?  How much effort do you put into finding non-Christian companies?  Have you ever returned a purchase, or cancelled an appointment, etc, because you later discovered it was Christian?

I'll answer first.  I generally avoid anything with a fish on it, and I actively avoid companies I know to be Christian owned.  Before I gave up fast food entirely, I quit eating at Chick Fil-a, or however you spell it.

I almost returned some peanut butter the other day, but I had already opened it, and felt weird about making a trip all the way to the store just to return peanut butter.  In retrospect, I wish I'd returned it.  It's really nasty.  That's not just my opinion.  I've taste tested it a few times on friends, and they all agree it's nasty.  It's called Mara-Natha Organic Peanut butter.  Avoid it like the plague if you value your taste buds.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I do try to avoid them, such

I do try to avoid them, such as for hobbies i will not enter that loathsome hobby lobby . I have for fun went into a christian bookstore in town once (boy just being around such delusion really numbs the mind i tell you), but other then that i'll avoid them if i know they are christian.

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
Haven't had a Domino's

Haven't had a Domino's Pizza since the 1980s. 

It's funny, I was a Christian during one of the Proctor & Gamble scares (rumors that they were Satanists) and we were supposed to boycott them.  I think it turns out that they're actually hardcore Christians.  But it was pretty much impossible in those days to boycott Proctor & Gamble unless you were willing to make your own soap. 

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have walked out of stores

I have walked out of stores because of 'god garb'. Usually this encompasses gift stores and such, there many in the area that are privately owned that are very similar to Hallmark stores.

If it is blatant in your face propaganda, I am outta there. 

Women need to watch the 'Philosophy' cosmetics that they sell in malls, they have preachy little god messages on their products. Ugh!

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
I never heard of MaraNatha

I never heard of MaraNatha (but googed it {I'm inventing a new word "goog"})

But yea, I pretty much avoid anything that has anything to do with religion if it is obvious. I suspect there is a lot of invisible religious money.

Have you heard Abu Dhabi investment group buys $622M chunk of AMD

And you drive a car right? hmmmm

EDIT:

The only way religion is going to be wiped off the face of the earth is to show that supernatural beings do not exist.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes. I avoid businesses

Yes. I avoid businesses that advertise that they're a "Christian owned business." If there's a fish sign on their advertisment anywhere I stay away.

I didn't know that Chik-Fil-Lay ( or however you spell it ) advertised that they were Chrsitian owned. Thanks for the heads up.

I think the Christian owner of Dominos sold the company years ago.

My mechanic however is a Christian. I've been doing business with him since 1982. Back then I was also a Christian. He knows I'm gay and is cool with it. Plus, he's never once ripped me off.

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I actively avoid

I actively avoid Chik-Fil-La and Domino's.  Generally any chain that I find out is steeped in religion.

BGH - I don't think Philosophy is religious.  They have those preachy little feel good sayings but I think it's just supposed to be uplifting.  Plus, I'm positive the Christopher Reeve foundation, which supports stem cell research.  Granted, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. 

I use their products.  Of course, now when I go home I'm going to re-read everything!  I've never noticed before.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

cam
User is offlineOffline
stats

seeing as most people seem to be religious in some manner, and certainly in the west christianity is the most popular, would this not mean that most businesses be owned and run by christians?

It may get very difficult for the atheist to totally avoid giving christians money. 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
If I did, I'd have to avoid

If I did, I'd have to avoid In-N-Out burgers. Fuck that.

Sadzaeater
Sadzaeater's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gloria Jean's coffee

Gloria Jean's coffee outside of the US is controlled by 2 prominent members of the Hillsong Church and is a significant donor to Mercy Ministries. 

Stop that... It's silly.

Nimitz68
Nimitz68's picture
User is offlineOffline
Chick-fil-a is one place I

Chick-fil-a is one place I won't set foot in.

Hobby Lobby is another.

My auto mechanic shop is also a hard core fundy. But they've never said a word about the darwin and evolve fish on the back of my car. As much money as I've dropped in the place over the last 20+ years they better never. Laughing out loud

Ever "hang-ten" on the bow of a nuclear powered aircraft carrier at 30+ knots?

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I make my own peanut butter

I make my own peanut butter in the blender because of all the potentially annoying things in the world, I'm allergic to iodized salt - which is in practically anything packaged or processed.

Anyway, if I know an corporation is religiously affiliated or gives funds to religious organizations I will not go back.  I don't actively hunt and peck for information on every company though.  With a family member high-up in labor unions I know that doing this results in a boycott list so long you would spend 5 hours looking for a tomato.  If a corporation cares enough to make their religious affiliation/support public, I won't go back.  Period.  Chick-fil-a states their religious charities on the bag for the person above who was wondering. 

CheshireCat9
CheshireCat9's picture
User is offlineOffline
Does anyone have a list of

Does anyone have a list of these types of companies?  I stay away from animal testers, I might as well stay away from adults who poison this country's childrens minds with that shite.

Except for Chic-Fil-A.  I dont live near one and if i dont get my chicken biscuit when I drive back down south for xmas, I am going to be so cranky!  Ill make sure and cross out In God We Trust on the money I use there first. 

well i used to stand for something
now i'm on my hands and knees
traded in my god for this war
and he signs his name with a capital g

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Prince Alwaleed of Saudi

Prince Alwaleed of Saudi Arabia  owns 3.6% of Citigroup and he holds about $2 billion of Apple, Motorola, AOL, and Teledesic

The mormons own the Marriott

Added: As of 2007, Prince Alwaleed's net worth is estimated at US$20.3 billion, and he is ranked by Forbes as the 13th richest person in the world.

And the vatican never discloses their worth which I'd guess to be more than the top ten richest people in the world combined. Who knows where it is?

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sadzaeater wrote:

Sadzaeater wrote:

Gloria Jean's coffee outside of the US is controlled by 2 prominent members of the Hillsong Church and is a significant donor to Mercy Ministries.

I used to drink there all the time due to it actually being nice coffee unlike starbucks, until I discovered that link. Fortunately Australia has had coffee shops that serve good REAL coffee all over the place long before starbucks opened on our shores.

I wasn't aware of domino's, but I don't eat from the big pizza chains anyway - prefer the smaller shops even if they are more expensive it's well worth the extra money for the better pizza. 

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't bother because I

I don't bother because I believe one of the fastest ways to corrupt religion is through capitalism. A good capitalist company can only be effectively run by CEO's who break at least three or four commandments. Nothing like making a whore out of religion.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

HC Grindon
High Level DonorModerator
User is offlineOffline
Nah, I don't go out of my

Nah, I don't go out of my way to avoid Xtian companies, their employees gotta make a living too.

-HCG 

econgineer
econgineer's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't bother avoiding

I don't bother avoiding x-ian companies.  They can do what they want with their money.  Yes I'm a capitalist.  But I would avoid organizations that discriminate, like Salvation Army.  

Responsibility: A detachable burden easily shifted to the shoulders of God, Fate, Fortune, Luck or one's neighbor. In the days of astrology it was customary to unload it upon a star. ~Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary, 1911

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I see both sides of this,

I see both sides of this, and I don't have really strong feelings about it.  It's not like I'd starve before buying a chicken sandwich, but here's how I look at it.  Every dollar I put into a company that isn't Christian goes to somebody's paycheck, just like if it were a Christian company.  I can only contribute to one paycheck at a time, so I might as well make it a non-Christian.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism