An awesome letter

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
 .... cool, witty, we have

.... cool, witty, we have another George Carlin !

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
OH MOTHER OF ALL GOOD

OH MOTHER OF ALL GOOD THINGS!!!! I have been waiting for something like this, a old-ex friend of mine is so against homosexuals (event though we have mutual homosexual friends male and females) I am so sending this to him and would love to see what he says about it. Although I am not going to hold my breath....this is awesome.

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Great letter, been around

Great letter, been around for years though. Smiling

Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jim, author of the

Jim, author of the letter, wrote:
I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

Well, Jim, you could play without gloves since 'pigskins' aren't literally made of the skin of a pig. I'm not entirely sure where the term came from, but I think it's because the earliest footballs were made out of a hollowed-out pig filled with some sort of stuffing.

Good night, funny man, and thanks for the laughter.

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
great letter! We all

great letter! Laughing out loud

We all pretty much knew these things were in the bible but it's pretty funny to see them all right there with the sources included.

As far as footballs go...

The insides were origonally made with the bladdars of animals (often pigs).  So the outsides were considered the pigs skin.

... At least this is the most reliable and plausible explanation I found. 

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

The_Fragile
The_Fragile's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nice letter. I actually

Nice letter. I actually listen to Dr. Laura almost every morning. I generally don't have a problem with her advice. Some of it I find useful honestly. Time to time though she'll go on one of her religious conservative rants. I tend to just zone out at that point or shake my head with irratation. At worst I'll change the channel.

I hope they cannot see
the limitless potential
living inside of me
to murder everything.
I hope they cannot see
I am the great destroyer.

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dr. Laura Schlessinger is

Dr. Laura Schlessinger is an ignorant bitch.

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
Very cool letter.  I

Very cool letter.  I haven't seen this one before.

Quote:
I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15:19- 24. The problem is, how do I tell?

In New York, certain orthodox Jewish men won't shake hands with a woman--any woman, ever--because she might be menstruating.  Insane rudeness.

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
    oh yeah women are

oh yeah women are forbidden ! bloody creatures ! says the bible ... pay for your women sin with a cheap "dove" , sold by WE the church, so jesus let the doves go , then they killed jesus ? !