20 Questions Pamphlet

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
20 Questions Pamphlet

OK after about a week of riding the FTA forum that led to several great suggestions, I believe the 20 questions pamphlet is close to ready. I have added a link to the bottom of this post to the PDF for printing. Here are some images of what the pamphlet looks like:

FRONT:

Front

INSIDE:

Inside

(Bottom image is slightly distorted due to editor constraints)

http://joshpatten.googlepages.com/20-questions-final-draft.pdf

If there is anything that needs changed, please tell me before these go into circulation (hopefully by the end of the week)

Hopefully this is the final revision. Again, please suggest changes if they are needed.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think it looks great! I

I think it looks great!

I would imagine that you could take this to 100 atheists, and get 100 suggestions on different questions, but I think these are good.  Something this short can never be all inclusive, after all.  It's a great length for people who don't usually read books... that's a plus.

It's my opinion that nitpicking details is not nearly as important as simply getting as much exposure as we can.  Great work!

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

BizarroAzrael
User is offlineOffline
I agree it looks good and

I agree it looks good and I'm going to get a bunch printed and hand them to the guys that always hang around Piccadilly Circus in london (asking them why they think anyone should give a shit what they have to say if they wont read them)

However, I think maybe it could use a quick explaination of why you shouldn't use rationalisation or appeals to supernatural.

dead_again
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cool, remember to use the

Cool, remember to use the PDF file I linked to at the bottom of the post. Also remember this is a release candidate so the general message will still be the same for the "production release" but there may be some small community changes (doubtful because I think I worked out all the bugs in this post: http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/the_rational_response_squad_radio_show/freethinking_anonymous/10995 )

Also thanks for all the comments and compliments everyone.

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Good work, joshpatten.

Good work, joshpatten. You've inspired me, actually. I'm thinking about other quasi-tracts we can aim at doubters.

Not_Your_Therapist
atheist
Not_Your_Therapist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Erm...  The sentance that

Erm...

The sentance that reads, "Almost all aspects of life are subject to this type of scrutiny expect for religion"

Should probably be, "Almost all aspects of life are subject to this type of scrutiny EXCEPT for religion"

Your resident OTD/S, Christina
A good scientist will always change her mind if new evidence is presented which gives her sufficient reason to change it.
www.ziztur.com

ctressle
User is offlineOffline
Marvelous... Hope I'm not

Marvelous... Hope I'm not too late to add suggestions. Because of this, I felt rushed to add this suggestion... so if this is a repeat or already otherwise explained, I apologize in advance and will return to the thread to read it in full.

Near the beginning of the paragraphs, it says, "Almost all aspects of life are subject to this type of scrutiny expect for religion." The underlined word should be "except".

Again, this looks fantastic! 

ctressle
User is offlineOffline
Sorry Not_Your_Therapist

Sorry Not_Your_Therapist (who already pointed out the mistake) and joshpatten (who posted it just today), just now reading the thread in full, I was rushed to meet the end-of-the-week-circulation deadline! At any rate; what exactly is this for? Just to hand out to random people? What is the FTA? Is this the continuation of another thread? It just kinda pops up immediately on the "recent discussion forums", and this "20 questions pamphlet". From your wording, I get the impression you've been planning this for a short while, and that you've informed other RRS forum members about it a while back, and you're finishing up your original discussion? Or is this very new? I'm just confused as to the whole context as to why you're doing it.

Don't get me wrong... I like it very much so far! Good questions, nice and tidy, with web sites, etc... But I just want a context to put this in (other than trying to help theists out of their mind disorder of course... I was expecting a more narrow context, with the way this thread has been worded and such?). 

dead_again
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry for not explaining

Sorry for not explaining ctressle, I should have put a bit more information on the original post. This is sort of a continuation of this thread:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/the_rational_response_squad_radio_show/freethinking_anonymous/10995

It started out as a project for MedivalGuy to put them up at places like Wal-Mart around "Liberty" "University" and quite a few people chipped in with ideas. Before I knew it, it kinda took on a life of it's own.

I plan on making more of these and posting them, Maybe I will put up a website somewhere where they are easily viewable and downloadable. Perhaps even a printing service for them (don't count on it Laughing out loud )

I will post the EXCEPT correction in my next post within the next hour or so.

Also, FTA stands for Freethinkers Anonymous.

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOVE IT!!! Looking forward

LOVE IT!!! Looking forward to distrubuting these to Baptist churches in my area.

dead_again
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://joshpatten.googlepage

http://joshpatten.googlepages.com/20-questions-2nd-final-draft.pdf

OK that should be very close to the final version. I fixed the EXCEPT typo and noticed a few more formatting issues that are now fixed. I also removed all the trailing slashes on the ends of the websites. I would go as far as saying this version is a "feature freeze" meaning no additional content will be added and only major bugs/typos etc. will be changed.

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just printed out the

I just printed out the pamphlet. It looks great. Maybe we should pass these out at the Republican and Democrat Conventions next summer. These 20 question should be asked of all the U.S. presidential candidates.

Another question in particular I'd like to ask Mitt Romney is; "Do you believe in magical glasses and magical underwear?"

And a question for Mike Huckabee; "Do you believe that an invisible, evil monster lurks among us and makes us do bad things?"

And for Hillary; "Do you believe that an example of rational thinking is that a corpse lay dead for three days and then got up and walked around?"

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

yeahokwhatever
User is offlineOffline
Flaws, fallibility and the human race

This "god" thing that so many people claim is a concept. He/she/it is just a greater power that nobody could possible explain. The Bible is a man-made documentation of stuff that may or may not have happened. The culture of the time in which it was written is a great influence on the Bible, hence, the slavery, sexism, ect. The freakin' book did not fall from the sky. The bible written by someone capable of being wrong has been transcibed, edited (very heavily, by the Vatican), re-formatted...all by fallible humans.

As for the question: why can't people just magically get whatever they want...            let's go back in time and take a look at Jagger's philosophy.... "You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, if you try, you can get what you need" Combined with the phrase "With a will, there's a way" it pretty much explains why life isn't perfect. Humans as a society could, with effort, maybe not make problems disapear, but compromise a solution get the necessities. Combined effort of humans could fund a church or save a life, accomplish alot. humans just aren't that good at working together.                                   

If god exists he/she/it cannot be labeled BY MAN. We can't pin a situation or an image to him. And don't even try asking a bunch of average-minded humans to explain the mistakes that religious documenter-peoples made. The culture is just not the same in the 21st century. Pointing out flaws of the Bible, and humans' documentation skills, is not going to deny the existence of a greater power. Nice try, but think of something with a little more insight to stump those theists, if you want to get a message across.  

dead_again
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
What might you suggest? If

What might you suggest? If you look in the other forum topic listed further up in this forum topic, you will see that I am only capable of designing these things. Coming up with ideas for them is not my strong point, as I simply put someone elses ideas on paper for this pamphlet. If you feel there is a better way to address theists please don't hesitate to provide a suggestion.

That also goes for anyone else who would like to see their ideas become a pamphlet like this one.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
yeahokwhatever wrote: This

yeahokwhatever wrote:

This "god" thing that so many people claim is a concept. He/she/it is just a greater power that nobody could possible explain. The Bible is a man-made documentation of stuff that may or may not have happened. The culture of the time in which it was written is a great influence on the Bible, hence, the slavery, sexism, ect. The freakin' book did not fall from the sky. The bible written by someone capable of being wrong has been transcibed, edited (very heavily, by the Vatican), re-formatted...all by fallible humans.

As for the question: why can't people just magically get whatever they want...            let's go back in time and take a look at Jagger's philosophy.... "You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, if you try, you can get what you need" Combined with the phrase "With a will, there's a way" it pretty much explains why life isn't perfect. Humans as a society could, with effort, maybe not make problems disapear, but compromise a solution get the necessities. Combined effort of humans could fund a church or save a life, accomplish alot. humans just aren't that good at working together.                                   

If god exists he/she/it cannot be labeled BY MAN. We can't pin a situation or an image to him. And don't even try asking a bunch of average-minded humans to explain the mistakes that religious documenter-peoples made. The culture is just not the same in the 21st century. Pointing out flaws of the Bible, and humans' documentation skills, is not going to deny the existence of a greater power. Nice try, but think of something with a little more insight to stump those theists, if you want to get a message across.  

Since you're into non-constructive criticism, I wanted to mention that I find your post mind-bendingly insipid. First, you assert some vague, idiosyncratic god-concept, unjustifiably presenting it as though it were universal, and proceed to ramble ambiguously about how the bible is man-made. No shit, Sherlock. Your second paragraph cites a Rolling Stones song for support, which is just... precious. It also says nothing of value, and misses the point of the text: which isn't to get answers from Christians, but to encourage them to ask questions. Your third paragraph is pure ad hoc bullshit and condescension. I have to wonder what compelled such an inept communicator to level this criticism.

zekehampton
zekehampton's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think this is a great

I think this is a great idea.  jeez, how many of those crazy religious tracts have a I had to endure over the years...

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
zekehampton wrote: I think

zekehampton wrote:
I think this is a great idea.

I agree. The pamphlet's 20 questions are excelent ones. I think it's fine just the way it is. 

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

nullusdeus
SuperfanBronze Member
nullusdeus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Really great Josh! Is there

Really great Josh! Is there a way to edit this? i.e; put you name and email on it before you print it.

Miracles don't exist. "Miracle" is a word given to a preposterous event that a theist considers dogmatically advantageous. Def. - Ecclesiastical sensationalism.

dead_again
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
There are 2 ways to edit

There are 2 ways to edit it.

1. use a PDF editor to add the text in or

2. I can PM you the link to the original MS publisher file.

Also, are there any new ideas for the next pamphlet?  I would really like to keep these things going but without ideas the project will fizzle out.

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
joshpatten wrote: There

joshpatten wrote:

There are 2 ways to edit it.

1. use a PDF editor to add the text in or

2. I can PM you the link to the original MS publisher file.

Also, are there any new ideas for the next pamphlet? I would really like to keep these things going but without ideas the project will fizzle out.

Let's see... 

1. Creationism vs. the evidence.  

2.  Point by point bulleted list showing most of the elements of Christmas that aren't Christian in origin.  (showing roots in other traditions and older religions)

3. Trust the bible knows all?  Two lists for side by side comparison, diseases science has cured vs. diseases the bible has cured.  Inventions thanks to science, inventions thanks to the bible.  (i predict an imbalance) 

4. For Americans.   A counter-pamphlet to the statement "America was founded on Christian values."   You know.. list the founding values like genocide, rape and murder vs. the native americans and slave labor.   They might say "hey, those aren't christian values!"  Then you cherry pick from the bible for areas with genocide, slavery, war, sexism, etc..etc..  Then rhetorically ask is that really what you mean and want to go back to?

Anything sound good yet?  I can keep thinking  Smiling 

dead_again
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
I posted this before the

I posted this before the site crash and it disappeared, so I'll post it again.

1. This is a field I generally have trouble with because there is so many things about biology that I simply don't know. I know some basics about biology and evolution and have a basic understanding of how they work, but for me to write a one page pamphlet about evolution would take a really long time Smiling

2. This one would be fun to do. Can you point me to the website you posted before?

3. You're right, the imbalance would be embarrassing.

4. The title of my next pamphlet will (tentatively) be Was America Really Founded on Christian Principles?

Check out http://atheismtracts.googlepages.com for the final version of the 20 questions pamphlet.

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sure, I think these are

Sure, I think these are the items I posted before.

TV special on the roots of Christmas here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcmWvkSdjYY

FFRF podcast with Tom Flynn: http://ffrf.org/radio/podcast/archives/2006.php

December 16, 2006 - Reason's Greetings! Guest Tom Flynn
The theme of this show is the Winter Solstice, and features an interview with Tom Flynn, author of "The Trouble with Christmas," and the song, "Solstice Tribute," by Dan Barker. As Freethought Radio's solstice treat for listeners, the show includes an excerpt from Julia Sweeney's "Letting Go of God" one-woman play, in which the comedian reads the bible and discovers it isn't everything it's cracked up to be. Freethinkers Almanac features songwriter Jay Gorney ("Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?&quotEye-wink, and includes a rare song by by blacklisted Gorney celebrating the Bill of Rights, recorded by freethinker Paul Robeson. (MP3, 49 min, 22,4 MB)

Book on it (from the guest above): http://tinyurl.com/yv7v9u

ERRI8013
User is offlineOffline
Hi Josh, this is my first

Hi Josh, this is my first post,

I think that you would be ironic and I believe that your pamphlet shows an important matter, but it will not be useful to discuss with Chrstians and I will try to explain why.

You wrote two criteria, one about no-supernaturals and the other about no-excuses.

Religion and faith is basically supernatural and theology is an excuse, so far I believe that the criteria are the critical points of your pamphlet.

dead_again
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
I understand, but the point

I understand, but the point of this is to help christians realize that they really have never thought about these things before. Plant the seed of doubt, ya know.