Has anyone else made this slip of the tounge?

JanCham
User is offlineOffline
Has anyone else made this slip of the tounge?

Every once in a while I get into teological debate with a Christian friend of mine, while arguing I made a slip of the tounge that made him pretty upset.  I honestly don't know if I feel bad about it though...  Instead of calling it "Christian Theology" I called it "Christian Mythology".  I try to be kind to some extent, but there are moments when my friends talk of "Obedience to god" makes my blood boil.  Honesty I would like to hear someone Like Chirstopher Hitchens debate a theologan and use that phrase repeatedly, just to see the look in the Theologans face :3.

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've said "mythology" on

I've said "mythology" on any number of occasions but I do it deliberately.  I also use a number of other terms as well.  Tiptoeing around the subject and using their terms only encourages them.  It gives them the idea that you are not strong in your convictions and you may be open to belief in their god.  Don't feel bad about it.  It wasn't so much a slip of tongue as it was a burst of honesty.

I like that idea about Hitchens using the phrase white debating a worthy opponent (if there are any). 

Keep it up, you might help your friend see the light, so to speak.  It doesn't have to be said in a mean way, just said with conviction and confidence or knowledge.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
.Maybe it irritates him

Maybe it irritates him because deep down he has doubts and your use of the word "mythology" just reminds him of what he'd rather not face up to.

It's like when I go into a bookstore and I see row after row of supposedly non-fiction Christian books. Then I get to the section titled "Christian Fiction". I just laugh to myself...it's all fiction you arrogant morons and all religions are equal in this regard.

EricMS00
User is offlineOffline
I would not avoid the word

I would not avoid the word mythology, for that is what it is. Honesty is important.

psosna
User is offlineOffline
I used to have a bumper

I used to have a bumper sticker on my car I got from American Atheists that said, "Religion is myth information".

Omnibus
User is offlineOffline
Oh horrors! You called a

Oh horrors!

You called a spade a spade. If you tip toe around the facts just to "protect" someone's feelings you are being deceptive and disingenuous. THAT is not respectful either. And it is an impossible goal.

Too bad stupidity isn't poisonous.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nah, that wouldn't be a

Nah, that wouldn't be a slip of the tongue.  I make a habit of calling things exactly what they are.  Christianity is a myth.  Teleology is neither philosophy nor science.  Intelligent design is bad politics.  God is a myth, like Santa Clause.  Religion is superstition.

Why should we let them have their words, when all they do is make their position look more credible than it actually is?

Hell, if homosexuals got to take "gay" back, then we damn sure ought to be able to say "myth."

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism