Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lol, thats great.

Lol, thats great. Smiling

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
hmm.. i'm not sure what to

hmm.. i'm not sure what to think. I see why they want it but i just don't know.

Teknison
Teknison's picture
User is offlineOffline
 you get a bad gut feeling

you get a bad gut feeling about this...

Sounds like good fun as long as any adversion towards religion is not rubbed onto the children. I think  its important understand why ideas are logicaly inconsistent (not by simply pointing out what ideas are such) Infact I dont think religion, jesus, god, allah, etc. should ever be mentioned in this type of setting. This may be impossible though because children will often question such subjects with anyone willing to converse with them.

Its easy to see how this is potentially bad. Think about it, we could be raising a generation of radical anti-religious fundies.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
    I love it, ... just

I love it, ... just what the kids need, it's moral and ethical education. Yeah to the progressive buddhists.

Compare that to this , "Pint-size Preachers" !

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3717627&page=1

geezzzzzz

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yea... I'm not sure I'm for

Yea... I'm not sure I'm for this kind of setting.  One of the biggest things that most atheists stand for (at least it's the impression that I get) is that they are against the indoctrination of children which is kind of what this sounds like to me.

Although at the same time is teaching a child how to think logically and critically really indoctrination?

I would be for a system like this that teaches critical thinking, and an overview of world religions as long as it doesn't go on to say this one is wrong because of a, b & c, and that one is wrong because of d, e, & f... 

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
    educate kids, read

educate kids, read the OP link again ....

"overview of world religions" is the point .... 

Johannes Ackermann
Johannes Ackermann's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't know. If you asked

I don't know. If you asked me a year ago, I would say "yeah, show them all the options", but at the moment I'm inclined to take a more direct approach. We might not think we're in a battle, but the theists deffinitely think we are. Do you think they sit around in Sunday school and teach kids that some people don't believe in god and that's ok? Not a chance. Religion is a disease, and the sooner we are willing to teach our kids that, the sooner we can cure this planet of the cancer that is holding back progress. It's easy for atheists to sit back and complain about how they are discriminated against and how angry it makes them, but it seems like very few actually have the guts to say "Fuck this! I'm not wasting another second of my life OR my childrens' lives on this god-mumbo-jumbo! Little Jimmy! There is no god. Period. Now go read you science textbook." I'm not quite there either... I'm not suicidal. Where I live I would probably condemn my family to eternal ridicule if I were to take a harch stance like that, but lately I've been wondering if I shouldn't take that chance. Reading that Time article actually made me think of trying to find more free thinkers in my area and start something like that Sunday school. Anybody in the Durbanville area, Western Cape, South Africa that are interested?

Atheism: My licence to sleep in on Sundays.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
This was recently posted

This was recently posted here, http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/the_rational_response_squad_radio_show/freethinking_anonymous/11385

I love it, ... just what the kids etc need, it's moral and ethical education. Yeah to the progressive godless buddhists.

Compare that to this , "Pint-size Preachers" !

geezzzzzz

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anytime people gather

Anytime people gather children into groups and don't teach them stupid shit, I'm pretty much in favor of it.

Seems like a pretty good idea. 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

magilum
User is offlineOffline
This is one of the

This is one of the fundamental problems I have with proselytizing religions -- it forces everyone's hand; it presents everyone this ultimatum: “If you don't indoctrinate people, by golly, we will.“ So, even if you reject the specific tenets, you're cornered into their paradigm: force-feeding the improbable on people when they're most agreeable to rote learning.

DLSS
DLSS's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sunday School for Atheists

I personally dont kno what to think about this ....

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1686828,00.html?xid=site-cnn-partner

Quote:

Sunday School for Atheists

Sunday morning at The Children's Program at the Humanist Community of Palo Alto, California.

On Sunday mornings, most parents who don't believe in the Christian God, or any god at all, are probably making brunch or cheering at their kids' soccer game, or running errands or, with luck, sleeping in. Without religion, there's no need for church, right?

Maybe. But some nonbelievers are beginning to think they might need something for their children. "When you have kids," says Julie Willey, a design engineer, "you start to notice that your co-workers or friends have church groups to help teach their kids values and to be able to lean on." So every week, Willey, who was raised Buddhist and says she has never believed in God, and her husband pack their four kids into their blue minivan and head to the Humanist Community Center in Palo Alto, Calif., for atheist Sunday school.

An estimated 14% of Americans profess to have no religion, and among 18-to-25-year-olds, the proportion rises to 20%, according to the Institute for Humanist Studies. The lives of these young people would be much easier, adult nonbelievers say, if they learned at an early age how to respond to the God-fearing majority in the U.S. "It's important for kids not to look weird," says Peter Bishop, who leads the preteen class at the Humanist center in Palo Alto. Others say the weekly instruction supports their position that it's O.K. to not believe in God and gives them a place to reinforce the morals and values they want their children to have.

The pioneering Palo Alto program began three years ago, and like-minded communities in Phoenix, Albuquerque, N.M., and Portland, Ore., plan to start similar classes next spring. The growing movement of institutions for kids in atheist families also includes Camp Quest, a group of sleep-away summer camps in five states plus Ontario, and the Carl Sagan Academy in Tampa, Fla., the country's first Humanism-influenced public charter school, which opened with 55 kids in the fall of 2005. Bri Kneisley, who sent her son Damian, 10, to Camp Quest Ohio this past summer, welcomes the sense of community these new choices offer him: "He's a child of atheist parents, and he's not the only one in the world."

Kneisley, 26, a graduate student at the University of Missouri, says she realized Damian needed to learn about secularism after a neighbor showed him the Bible. "Damian was quite certain this guy was right and was telling him this amazing truth that I had never shared," says Kneisley. In most ways a traditional sleep-away camp--her son loved canoeing--Camp Quest also taught Damian critical thinking, world religions and tales of famous freethinkers (an umbrella term for atheists, agnostics and other rationalists) like the black abolitionist Frederick Douglass.

The Palo Alto Sunday family program uses music, art and discussion to encourage personal expression, intellectual curiosity and collaboration. One Sunday this fall found a dozen children up to age 6 and several parents playing percussion instruments and singing empowering anthems like I'm Unique and Unrepeatable, set to the tune of Ten Little Indians, instead of traditional Sunday-school songs like Jesus Loves Me. Rather than listen to a Bible story, the class read Stone Soup, a secular parable of a traveler who feeds a village by making a stew using one ingredient from each home.

Down the hall in the kitchen, older kids engaged in a Socratic conversation with class leader Bishop about the role persuasion plays in decision-making. He tried to get them to see that people who are coerced into renouncing their beliefs might not actually change their minds but could be acting out of self-preservation--an important lesson for young atheists who may feel pressure to say they believe in God.

Atheist parents appreciate this nurturing environment. That's why Kitty, a nonbeliever who didn't want her last name used to protect her kids' privacy, brings them to Bishop's class each week. After Jonathan, 13, and Hana, 11, were born, Kitty says she felt socially isolated and even tried taking them to church. But they're all much more comfortable having rational discussions at the Humanist center. "I'm a person that doesn't believe in myths," Hana says. "I'd rather stick to the evidence."

psosna
User is offlineOffline
I think this is a great

I think this is a great idea, especially if they run it like the Unitarian Sunday School I went to, which did nothing but solidify my Atheism.  We studied not just christian beliefs, but the beliefs of all the major religions and were encouraged to make up our own minds about them.  Most of us ended up deciding they were all crap.

I'm raising my son as an Atheist and I'm very proud that he is so ethical.  I dare say he acts more like the christians say a christian should act than most christian children I know.

I would like to see Atheist Sunday School for adults as well.  I've always been an Atheist, but I was not what I would call an educated Atheist, in spite of my Sunday School.  I  certainly would not have been able to hold my own in a debate.  It wasn't until about 20 years ago that I started reading Dr. Madalyn O'Hair and Robert Ingersoll's works.  That's when my serious religious education began.  Atheism was the one thing that we weren't taught about in Sunday School; I wish it had been.    

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Compare that to this , "Pint-size Preachers" !

geezzzzzz

Yeah, but have you seen this?

--

JanCham
User is offlineOffline
This could be a very good

This could be a very good thing, there may be hope left for this sad race called Human.  I just hope they don't use the 'religion vs. us" model of teaching.  I think religion is bad, but the reasons are pretty transparent when you each children how to think critically.  As long as they have a place they can start off with a clear head and the ability to think for themselves, most should live a happy and secular life.

Has anyone ever did a study of how many secular children grow up to become theists?  My guess would be a rather small number in comparison to those who do not.

To go beyond your limits you must first find them.

JanCham
User is offlineOffline
This is morbid *And* is

Okay...... the Pint Sized Preacher thing is morbid *And* is child abuse. I'm thinking of Malicai (sp?) from "Children of the Corn"

To go beyond your limits you must first find them.