Why is it every time I criticise Islam...

Fire
Fire's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why is it every time I criticise Islam...

Why is it every time I criticise Islam or Neopaganism and don't happen to say something negative about Christianity, some idiot walks in and says something negative about Christianity as a rebuttle to me. I've gone as far as using the using the user name "Godless Sodomite" on some boards and people still do it. It worse when I complain about Islam and some idiot calls me a racist. Islam is not a race. I don't advocate profiling. What I object to is the irrationality of it. How these people claim to be a religion of peace when it is so easy to justify violence in the name of Islam. I object to divine command ethics based on the interpretation of a book, especially one that is so filled with barbarism.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    I cannot say as to

I cannot say as to WHY they do that, however I would like to say that I am for profiling in these times. I personally have many muslim friend, however even if these are good people (as far as I have know) however the fact is we are at war with a faction of islam (the taliban is an islamic belief based enemy), as well those of the islamic faith have shown to have hatred towards those of others beliefs (or of the western civilization). Profiling might be viewed as wrong, but until the imams and the followers of islam denounce these people altogether and are united in this, profiling should and most likely will continue (this is not a racist/anti-religious statement, just fact based). Yes islam is not a religion of peace, in it's entire existance it had maybe 13 or 15 years of peace, outside of that it has for the most part evolved by force, forcing people to convert through war and conquering. Throughout the middle east this has happened, in somalia and ethopia it happened, in Sudan as well. They have garned much ignorance among their imam towards their followers to the point I say of abuse and the cause of much suffering amoung their followers and non followers as well, in their hatred towards the west and our beliefs. This is no religious of peace.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
You know it's funny, but

You know it's funny, but often if you criticize Christianity, someone gets pissed that you didn't say anything negative about Islam. Eye-wink  It cuts both ways.

Islam actually sucks more than Christianity at this moment in history, but Christians have nothing to be proud of.  Christian history is littered with corpses. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think its simply that, if

I think its simply that, if you critizie either of those religons, people automatically assume you are christian. Probally because they are so used to hearing suchs things FROM christians

Morte alla tyrannus et dei

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
What Zombie said. I was so

What Zombie said.
I was so used to hearing bigotted nonsense Christian fundies and general nationalists/racists that when I first heard genuine criticisms of Islam, I just brushed them off as the same old tired bigottries.

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
Islam is different from

Islam is different from other Abrahamic religions in that a large faction within the religion believes that criticism of Islam is a punishable offense.  There are criminal penalties in the laws of some countries for certain kinds of criticism.

So when you criticize Islam in even the mildest way, you have to bear in mind that many Muslims are preprogrammed to discount anything you say and feel deeply offended at the same time.

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Textom wrote: So when you

Textom wrote:

So when you criticize Islam in even the mildest way, you have to bear in mind that many Muslims are preprogrammed to discount anything you say and feel deeply offended at the same time.

In other words, criticize a Christian, and they'll defile your atheist bumper stickers. Criticize Islam, and they'll kill you.

Perhaps our tagline as atheists should be: "We find all religions to be equally ridiculous".

What Textom says is true, though. The indoctrination process even in non-fundamentalist Islam is as strong and likely stonger than in fundamental Christianity. So it should be no surprise that an atheist from an Islamic background would be reluctant to even think about saying anything against Islam.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fire wrote: Why is it every

Fire wrote:
Why is it every time I criticise Islam or Neopaganism and don't happen to say something negative about Christianity, some idiot walks in and says something negative about Christianity as a rebuttle to me. I've gone as far as using the using the user name "Godless Sodomite" on some boards and people still do it. It worse when I complain about Islam and some idiot calls me a racist. Islam is not a race. I don't advocate profiling. What I object to is the irrationality of it. How these people claim to be a religion of peace when it is so easy to justify violence in the name of Islam. I object to divine command ethics based on the interpretation of a book, especially one that is so filled with barbarism.

If anyone calls you a racist for pointing out the nasty parts of their holy book, they are ignorant. BUT, I do warn to merely keep in mind that you can find just as much justification in the Christian bible to justify barbarity. That book too, even in the new testement contains verses that have been used to justify racism, sexism and murder.

It is because of the concept of secular goverment that Christians for the past 200 years have slowly gotten away from sectarian tribalism. But to say that Islam is the only religion capable of barbarity, is absurd.

Even in this I will get accused of being hatefull toward religion, when I am merely pointing out the human capability OF ANY RELIGION to use it's holy book as a weapon against others.

Right now in current history, Middle East Islam has not had the benifit of secular government and is still stuck in the dark ages. But to say that Christianity is peacefull, has to come with a qualifyer. It  is RIGHT NOW, but wasnt always, and the only way to keep it peacefull is to keep an eye on it and keep western governments from becoming Christian theocracies. To say it cant happen is to be complacent.

So you are NOT a racist for pointing out what bad things some |Muslims do in the name of Islam and Allah. But Christian history has pleanty of zeolots who commited murder and created political theocracies in the name of Jesus. For right now, Christianity is forced to play nice because modern society DOES NOT take the bible as litterally as Christians did in the past.

And to the Christians and Muslims reading this, this is not a bigoted post. It is merely a recoginition that people can and do bad things and claim that they have the right too do so by divine athority(incert deity here).

It is simply a warning to humanity what can happen when religion is used as a weapon and that it is a weapon. Failing to recoginize that will cause history to repeat itself.

I would think that if the Christian and Muslim want to protect their religion and the freedom to exorsize it, they should call on their own to demand that those within stop projecting their deity on people who dont believe the same thing.

No, you are not a racist, just someone amongst many, including theists who recognize the dark side of religion. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

zack
User is offlineOffline
A few thoughts

Islam seems somehow “worse” than christianity because of where you’re living (a christian-dominated nation). Christians have state power and can inflate how bad islam is with relative ease. I’m no friend of islam or christianity and reject both equally because of their illogical world-views. I would further like to state that islam may objectively be “worse” than christianty in today’s world because islam still has WAY more fundies in it than that of any christian sect… and for that matter has way less splits and differences than christianity does. Islamic nations are also at the stick-end of the “war on terror” being waged by the most christian-fundie nation (the U.S.).

Again, I’m no friend of either irrational/ridiculous dogma.

“It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.” - Voltaire

zack
User is offlineOffline
Brian37, great points. I

Brian37, great points. I agree.