This Bothers Me...

Costiny
User is offlineOffline
This Bothers Me...

My Catholic mother has a MUCH bigger problem with my lack of belief in her god than she does of her adopted daughter's Wiccan belief in multiple gods and goddesses.  Both myself and her adopted daughter disagree with her belief, but I'm more of an "asshole" because I don't believe in any god.  Any thoughts?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Since you expect logic,

Since you expect logic, reason and evidence for a god before you can believe, you are much harder to convert.

Wicca and Catholicism are closer to each other than you may think. 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

magilum
User is offlineOffline
It may be a "belief in

It may be a "belief in belief," which could be a harder nut to crack than religion itself.

CrazyRoper
CrazyRoper's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: It may be a

magilum wrote:
It may be a "belief in belief," which could be a harder nut to crack than religion itself.

Yeah pretty much.  A friend of mine (who is a Thelemite) asked me, "Why do people not just act on impulse", when he found out I was an atheist.  I said something I can't remember because I was in shock from what he said.  He also said something about atheism being a copout.

"I, on the other hand, do not feel it necessary to construct a lofty meaning for myself. I prefer the style of the butterfly myself. I will eat what I want, flit about aimlessly, and enjoy the sunshine. Then, I will die. " - Nero, RRS Forum User

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
She probally thinks you are

She probally thinks you are gonna be more difficult to bring back into the light, perhaps her daughter will figure out shes only worshipping demons and re-convert. In her mind anyway.

Morte alla tyrannus et dei

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
CrazyRoper wrote:   A

CrazyRoper wrote:

A friend of mine (who is a Thelemite)

Holy shit!  A real, live Thelemite!?!?!  Is she a member of the Ordo Templi Orientis

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Zan
User is offlineOffline
My suggestion to you is to

My suggestion to you is to not ever let anyone make you react emotionally.  I live in the heart of the Bible belt and make no secret of my atheism.  I only tell people when they ask a question that requires that I say so to avoid dishonesty. 

When I tell them I am an atheist I do so in the same manner that I would tell them that I am a machinist.  I have not lost a friend because of it.

I think most atheists get very defensive and come across as hostile.  Bad move.  It is bad for friendships and bad for atheism.  I am 71 years old and my son-in-law, who is a true believer, asked me if we were Christians.  I very blandly said no, that we didn't believe in any supernatural being.  No problem.  There would have been if I had started emotionally defending my beliefs as a Christian would do.

If anyone asks me why I am an atheist I tell them but do so in a friendly, unemotional way.  It works.  I think one reason it works so well is that there are fewer true believers than you would think.  I think the majority just go along to get along and have very serious doubts.

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
CrazyRoper wrote: magilum

CrazyRoper wrote:

magilum wrote:

Yeah pretty much. ...

I'm going to hop on this bandwagan as well.  My mother in law is fine as long as my wife believes in "something" and "has faith"

Most theists see faith as a virtue and they want their friends and/or family to have that "virtue".  Your wiccan sibling has faith in their deities which is probably why your mother has more of a problem with you. 

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Zan
User is offlineOffline
Faith is believing what you

Faith is believing what you know ain't true....Mark Twain

Costiny
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for all the

Thanks for all the comments.  It's put it in a little bit better perspective for me. 

CrazyRoper
CrazyRoper's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: CrazyRoper

Nero wrote:
CrazyRoper wrote:

A friend of mine (who is a Thelemite)

Holy shit! A real, live Thelemite!?!?! Is she a member of the Ordo Templi Orientis?

Heh yeah he is. 

"I, on the other hand, do not feel it necessary to construct a lofty meaning for myself. I prefer the style of the butterfly myself. I will eat what I want, flit about aimlessly, and enjoy the sunshine. Then, I will die. " - Nero, RRS Forum User

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Both myself and her

Quote:
Both myself and her adopted daughter disagree with her belief, but I'm more of an "asshole" because I don't believe in any god. Any thoughts?

In addition to the thoughts that have already been contributed (because I think they're pretty accurate) you should also bear in mind that you're her real son and she's not her real daughter.

I know it's not supposed to make a difference, and she says she loves you both, but the jury's in on adoption. There is most definitely a difference between adopted and natural children. It might not be a huge deal in your family specifically, but it is a real effect, and it would be kind of silly to dismiss it because it's your family and you know better. After all, everyone says that!

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism