Microbiology

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Microbiology

I bought a college textbook on Microbiology today so I can understand half of what DeludedGod is talking about.  lol

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lol, better you than me

Lol, better you than me dude. Smiling

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Which one?

Which one?

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: Which

deludedgod wrote:
Which one?

ISBN 0-07-232041-9 by Prescott, Harley, and Klein.  I found out in the first chapter that my biology and chemistry understanding may be deficient.  If so I will research and buy additional college textbooks to correct the deficiency.

Any advice?

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
What is the first chapter

What is the first chapter on?

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
"The History and Scope of

"The History and Scope of Microbiology"

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
When I said that my

When I said that my understanding of biology and chemistry may be lacking is that the first paragraph of the first chapter said this book "presumes" a couple semesters in biology and chemistry.  So I gathered that I might not understand something based on that presumption for who was studying the book.

I have a BA in Computer Science.  So, I only had basic chemistry and biology.  Definitely not a couple semesters.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
I imagine that (I do not

I imagine that (I do not have the book, although I have several on medical microbiology) the book will presume knowledge of the following:

-Quantitative chemistry, moles, molarity, the gas laws, Dalton's Law of Partial Pressure, Boyle's Law, titers and titrations etc.

Chemical reactions: Reduction and Oxidation, Precipitation, Displacement, trends, Rates of Reaction, Catalysts and their functions 

-Periodicity: Electronegativity and Ionization Energies, Associated trends (Melting points, Boiling points, etc)

Acidity and Alkinity: the pH scale, Lewis acids and bases

Enthalpy changes: Calculating the occurance of reaction by deltaG changes 

Bond Energies and Bond Types

Quantum Chemistry and s,p,d,f orbitals

-Organic Chemistry, and the Carbon Families (Alkanes, Alkenes, Alkynes, Purines etc etc)

Biochemistry, Biochemical reactions, Enzymes, Polymerization, anabolic and catabolic reaction

This is just me shooting in the dark, really...but if you know that you should be fine 

-Me

Books about atheism

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Anything I find myself

Anything I find myself deficient in I will research and learn.  Complicated knowledge does not intimidate me(Actually I get flushed with excitement and feel kind of giddy with the idea of learning it).  Thanks for the insight, DG.  Much appreciated.

Actually, thank you for showing me what is even involved with microbiology with some of your posts.

Wow.  I feel like I'm planning to tour europe.  So exciting to open your mind to more of reality.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually, for any of those

Actually, for any of those things if you do not understand them, I will be happy to teach them to you. For me, ultimately, nothing is more important than the dissemination of scientific information, such that it does not become concentrated, hence politicized. I believe one of the greatest damages done by the post-modern movement is its attempt to reduce science to a method of political control by a ruling elite, and in the eyes of a largely ignorant public, they have succeeded in ridiculously juxtaposing science with their political beliefs. Epistemology is scrapped in favour of self-refuting relativism, and this has spawned the kings of igorance, such as alternative medicine, and quasi-spiritual-religious movements like New Ageism. If we are to combat and destroy this ignorance, we must disseminate scientific information, which is why I feel near duty-bound to do so for anyone who asks it of me.

So, with that irrelevant context out of the way, ask away... 

-Me

Books about atheism

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Awesome, DG!  Thanks so

Awesome, DG!  Thanks so much.  I was actually hoping to be able to ask you for help when I got hung up on something.  I really appreciate you offering your help.  I will certainly pm you when I need you to explain a point to me.  I will only do so after I have exhausted a search to find the information in other means. 

Sometimes asking another human is the only way to find the information you are looking for.