Need help quick!

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
Need help quick!

Tell me fast! Often while reading these boards a theist will say something about how great god is and an atheist often comes back with terrible things the bible says. The one thing Im most interested in right now is "stoning disobedient children" Im not sure if I have that right. Is that something that comes from the bible? f so where can I find it?

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Yes, it does.  When it

Yes, it does.  When it elaborates on the 10 commandments by telling what the punishments to breaking them are.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Deuteronomy 21:18-21 "If a

Deuteronomy 21:18-21 "If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son, who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and, though they chastise him, will not give heed to them, then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city at the gate of the place where he lives, and they shall say to the elders of his city, `This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.' Then all the men of the city shall stone him to death with stones; so you shall purge the evil from your midst; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
Thanks! I need to get myself

Thanks! I need to get myself a bible sometime. Would really help with quick situations like that.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I just used google.  lol

I just used google.  lol

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
I tried but I didnt know

I tried but I didnt know exactly what I was looking for to begin with. Again thanks for your help. It was for my boss. I said something I shouldnt have said until I had the evidence to back it up really.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://www.skepticsannotated

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm relieved you only want

I'm relieved you only want to stone a few disobedient teenagers.  I had a feeling when I saw the title that you were having a overwhelming cigarette craving.

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
Nope no smokes. Just want to

Nope no smokes. Just want to beat a few kids but only in a way god would approve of. Wink

QuasarX
QuasarX's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote: Deuteronomy

Watcher wrote:

Deuteronomy 21:18-21 "If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son, who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and, though they chastise him, will not give heed to them, then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city at the gate of the place where he lives, and they shall say to the elders of his city, `This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.' Then all the men of the city shall stone him to death with stones; so you shall purge the evil from your midst; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

I think that specific quote is referring to an adult son.  Unless chilidren were drunkards back then.  But still a good quote in general.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
QuasarX wrote: I think that

QuasarX wrote:
I think that specific quote is referring to an adult son.  Unless chilidren were drunkards back then.  But still a good quote in general.

Crap, they had to still listen to their parents even after they became adults?

That sucks!  I'd still have to go to church!

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
since most people died by

since most people died by age 30, what would be an adult?

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote: since most

aiia wrote:
since most people died by age 30, what would be an adult?

Dude, moses lived to 120.  I can prove it.  Right here in the bible it says...hahaha.

*gasp*  I almost was able to type that without cracking up.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
lol

Laughing

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
On a serious note, I've read

On a serious note, I've read that when you usually hear about a life expectancy it usually factors in infant mortality.  However if they survived childhood you could expect to live into your old age in any time throughout human history.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote: On a serious

Watcher wrote:
On a serious note, I've read that when you usually hear about a life expectancy it usually factors in infant mortality. However if they survived childhood you could expect to live into your old age in any time throughout human history.

I had always heard that sanitation issues have had a direct impact on lifespan.   

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Yeah I've heard that too. 

Yeah I've heard that too.  I have no idea what someone would consider "old age".  So I don't know.