You guys will get a kick out of this!

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
You guys will get a kick out of this!

Ok, as many know I go to college right next to Liberty "University", the nation's leading fundie "university". (They claim to have fossils that are 3,000 years old) Here at my college we have a lot of myths about what life is like at Liberty. I went to their website and found their list of rules and regulations. They have a reprimand system. After X amounts of reprimands they kick you out of the college. Oh, they also fine you X amount of money for each reprimand. So here is the list:

----1 reprimand - $0 fine

late for class/ curfew

----4 reprimands - $10 fine

Absence from required meeting

Disturbance during required meeting

Dress/hair code violation

Failure to respond to an offical slip within 48 hours

Horseplay 

Improper personal conduct (anything beyond hand holding)

Improper sign out

Music Code violation

Out of residence halls after Curfew

----6 reprimands - $25 fine

Possession/use of Tabacco

Direct disobedience/disrespect

Gambling

Attendance at a Dance

----12 reprimands - $50 fine

Possession/viewing an R rated movie

Deceptioin

Malicious horseplay/behavior

Participation in an unauthorized petition/demostration

Possession of a school key without authorization

Students of the opposite sex visiting alone at an off-campus location

Entering residence hallway, quad or on-campus apartment of the opposite sex or allowing the same

----18 reprimands - $250 fine - 18 hours community service

Association with those who consume alcohol

Commission of a Misdemeanor

Obscene, profane, or abusive language/behavior

Possession/viewing of sexually explicit materials

Entering bedroom of opposite sex ON OR OFF campus or allowing the sme

Failure to identify yourself

Falsification of information on any official documentation

Racial harrassment

Sexual harrassment

Sexual misconduct/any state of undress

Threat to do bodily harm

Two or more people of the opposite sex in a motel room without proper permission

Vandalism

----30 reprimands - $500 fine - 30 hours community service - Possible Administrative withdrawal

Abortion

Assault

Commission of any felony

Possession/use of illegal drugs

Immorality

Involvement with witchcraft, seances or other satanic or demonic activities

Life-threatening language/behavior to others or oneself (immediate removal from campus)

Non-participation/disruption/non-compliance

Possession/consumption of alcoholic beverages

Refusal to submit to drug/alcohol test

Spending the night with a member of the opposite sex

Stealing

Unauthorized possession of weapons 

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
No fine for not accepting

No fine for not accepting Jesus as your Lord and savior? 

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not a lot of liberty at

Not a lot of liberty at Liberty University, is there?

QuasarX
QuasarX's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow... those poor

Wow... those poor students.  The worst part is, one of the offenses in the most severe category is "Immorality".  Can they get any more vague?

Sadzaeater
Sadzaeater's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sounds like all it takes for

Sounds like all it takes for a student to be liberated from Liberty University is for them to break enough of the rules that limit their liberties.

Stop that... It's silly.

thormos
thormos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Horseplay Deception

Horseplay

Deception

Immorality

They shure know how to be spesific....

I mean....what constitutes horseplay?

Do they alow horses on campus Smiling 

"Everyone knows that God drives a Plymouth: "And He drove Adam And Eve from the Garden of Eden in His Fury."
And that Moses liked British cars: "The roar of Moses' Triumph was heard throughout the hills."
On the other hand, Jesus humbly drove a Honda but didn't brag about it, because in his own words: "I did not speak of my own Accord." "

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whew!  At least gays are

Whew!  At least gays are safe there!

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote: Whew! At

Thomathy wrote:
Whew! At least gays are safe there!

The funny thing is that many parents send their children there to "pray the gay away". Yet when the students get there and are allowed almost no contact with the oppposite sex it kinda doesn't work. (Not saying that contact with the other sex would make someone hetero, just thought it  was ironic)

DrTerwilliker
DrTerwilliker's picture
User is offlineOffline
I actually almost want to

I actually almost want to cry for these people.  No R-rated movies even?  Where the hell does that come from?

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Association with those who

"Association with those who consume alcohol"?!?!?!?!?!

What are you supposed to do, ask everyone you meet if they drink?  

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Medievalguy wrote: So here

Medievalguy wrote:

So here is the list:

Hair code? So mullets are out! 

No Gambling?  So Pascal's Wager is out.

No attendance at a dance?  I wonder if this includes official dances organised by the univercity

"Participation in an unauthorized petition/demostration"  ....... isn't that against your constitution or something?

"any state of undress"

This is one that immediately jumped out to me as being very difficult to follow...

So they have to wear the same clothes for the whole year or just per semester?  What if they shower too soon before going to a class, and don't have time to dry out?  Some moron sitting there in soaking-wet-yet-rock-solid-filthy clothes stinking up the lecture halls?  Awesome, really awesome.

Is there an exception if some of your clothes are on fire?

"Two or more people of the opposite sex in a motel room without proper permission" Well how can you have 3 people all of the opposite sex?  Regardless, I guess they just stick to Hotels rather than Motels.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
DrTerwilliker wrote: I

DrTerwilliker wrote:
I actually almost want to cry for these people. No R-rated movies even? Where the hell does that come from?

Perhaps I should apply.  Presuming they give me a scholarship (because I wouldn't give them a cent) I'll show up on the first day with microwave popcorn and a copy of "The Passion of the Christ." 

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow, that is an expensive

Wow, that is an expensive school. I tried to do a rough estimate and I think I would be at well over $1500 a day in fines without really trying. Hard to judge though every day is different. Do they fine you per occurence or just once for the day? Like for the movies, is it $50 for each movie?  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

UltraMonk
User is offlineOffline
Sorry I don't understand

Sorry I don't understand why they even have rules at Liberty University? Aren't they meant to be good, law and morally abiding folk attending it?

: Freedom - The opportunity to have responsibility.

: Liberty is about protecting the right of others to disagree with you.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
UltraMonk wrote: Sorry I

UltraMonk wrote:

Sorry I don't understand why they even have rules at Liberty University? Aren't they meant to be good, law and morally abiding folk attending it?

It's so that they can kick out anyone that they don't want there.  You realize mid-way though Creation Science 101 that all this shit is crap?  They kick you out for smoking a cigarette, etc...  

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
UltraMonk wrote: Sorry I

UltraMonk wrote:

Not when MedievalGuy and his ilk are over there attempting to corrupt some college co-eds. I'm sure that they are directly responsible for the rule against associating with people who consume alcohol. Repressed Christian Girls Gone Wild, heck what warm blooded unattached guy wouldn't be over there?

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

UltraMonk
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy

shelleymtjoy wrote:
UltraMonk wrote:

It's so that they can kick out anyone that they don't want there.  You realize mid-way though Creation Science 101 that all this shit is crap?  They kick you out for smoking a cigarette, etc...  

My apologies, I should have been a bit clearer on what I meant.

To me only good, law and morally abiding Christian folk should be attending the University in the first place. Thus those rules should not exist as they wouldn't even be applicable.

However because those rules do exist, it suggests to me that the people who do attend aren't actually Christians, they just say they are.

And if they kick out people they don't want there, isn't that immoral as everybody has a right to seek Christ and the salvation of God? Smiling

I've always wanted to visit America, but I've changed my mind, you seem to have too many crazy people running around the place. Smiling

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
UltraMonk wrote: And if

UltraMonk wrote:

And if they kick out people they don't want there, isn't that immoral as everybody has a right to seek Christ and the salvation of God? Smiling

Yes, the are hypocrites.  No surprise there... but even in an environment as sheltered as Liberty, college is a time when people meet different people and explore different ideas.  I have heard of people that see the light (pun intended) and are subsequently kicked out for stupid shit.

Another answer exists though - the Administration could be fully aware that the Bible is fiction and therefore decided to enact punishment in this life since there will be no next life.  That or they just want to make more money than Big Tobacco on the nicotene habit.

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:
UltraMonk wrote:

Not when MedievalGuy and his ilk are over there attempting to corrupt some college co-eds. I'm sure that they are directly responsible for the rule against associating with people who consume alcohol. Repressed Christian Girls Gone Wild, heck what warm blooded unattached guy wouldn't be over there?

Yeah dude. That kind of thing is always hot. If I was a single guy I would be asking medievelguy if I could come crash on his couch while I try to get me some action.  

UltraMonk
User is offlineOffline
They missed a rule

Hey, they missed a rule!

Don't they have to hang out at Walmart to spread the good Word?

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
It seems to me that many of

It seems to me that many of those rules would create an atmosphere of spying on one another specifically the ones that involve "OFF CAMPUS" behaviour. I mean really, do they have student spys or do the faculty take time to follow and watch...how does one find out about little Janet Smith going to the theater a town over to watch an "R" rated movie....? Does god tell on them?

"Viewing an R rated movie"

"Students of the opposite sex visiting alone at an off-campus location"

"Entering bedroom of opposite sex ON OR OFF campus or allowing the sme"

"Two or more people of the opposite sex in a motel room without proper permission"

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: Not

Beyond Saving wrote:

Not when MedievalGuy and his ilk are over there attempting to corrupt some college co-eds. I'm sure that they are directly responsible for the rule against associating with people who consume alcohol. Repressed Christian Girls Gone Wild, heck what warm blooded unattached guy wouldn't be over there?

Mwhahahahahahaha Cool The funny thing is, I don't even drink or smoke, and I'm probably a whole lot more moral than some of the people there. But that does give me ideas. I could get my camera and call it something like "Fallen angles" Sticking out tongue (kidding of course, someone as moral as me would never think of such things. Innocent)

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
rzubak wrote: how does one

rzubak wrote:

how does one find out about little Janet Smith going to the theater a town over to watch an "R" rated movie....? Does god tell on them?

Jerry actually used his clout to get a movie theater moved right next to Liberty so the students could go see a movie and be back in time for curfew. The theater also doesn't play any R rated movies despite being open to the general public. 

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
Medievalguy wrote: But

Medievalguy wrote:

But that does give me ideas. I could get my camera and call it something like "Fallen angles" Sticking out tongue (kidding of course, someone as moral as me would never think of such things. Innocent)

Want me to do it? Ill do it. Man we would make tons of money off that website! Surprised

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
AbandonMyPeace

AbandonMyPeace wrote:
Medievalguy wrote:

But that does give me ideas. I could get my camera and call it something like "Fallen angles" Sticking out tongue (kidding of course, someone as moral as me would never think of such things. Innocent)

Want me to do it? Ill do it. Man we would make tons of money off that website! Surprised

I'll help, I'm not going to let a little thing like morals get in the way. BTW Medieval you don't have to drink, it is actually better if you don't, just get them to drink. All I need to do is find a legitimate excuse to explain to my wife why I will be gone for a few weeks...

Eight Foot Manchild
Eight Foot Manchild's picture
User is offlineOffline
Liberty is bad, but it's a

Liberty is bad, but it's a hedonistic pleasure cruise compared to Bob Jones University.

"General Expectations":

http://www.bju.edu/prospective/expect/general.html

"Dress Codes":

http://www.bju.edu/prospective/expect/dress.html

"Residence Hall Life":

http://www.bju.edu/prospective/expect/rhall.html

My favorite part:

-Posters of movie and music stars and fashion models are not permitted. The subjects of personal photos should not exhibit immodesty or inappropriate physical contact.
-Music must be compatible with the University’s music standards:
New Age, jazz, rock, and country music is not permitted.
-Contemporary Christian music is not permitted (e.g., Michael W. Smith, Stephen Curtis Chapman, WOW Worship, and so forth).
-Televisions, DVD/videotape players and headphones are not permitted in the residence halls; computer DVD players may not be used to view movies.
-You may not possess or play computer and video games rated T, M, A, or E10, or having elements of blood and gore, sensual or demonic themes, or featuring suggestive dress, bad language, or rock music.
-Due to space considerations, appliances such as mini-refrigerators and microwaves are not permitted in residence hall rooms. A refrigerator and microwaves are provided in each residence hall.
-Residence hall students may not watch videos above a G rating when visiting homes in town and may not attend movie theaters.
-All weapons must be turned in for storage. Trigger locks are required for pistols. Fireworks are not permitted on campus.

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
The system at Liberty

The system at Liberty creates some interesting moral arithmetic.

Being late to class 30 times is the moral equivalent of an abortion.

Stalking your girlfriend or threatening to kill her is not as bad as owning a Tarot deck. 

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eight Foot Manchild

Eight Foot Manchild wrote:

-All weapons must be turned in for storage. Trigger locks are required for pistols. Fireworks are not permitted on campus.

The National Rifle Association must be a big donor to the university. According to this rule, you can actually bring a gun onto campus, as long as you turn it in for "storage". Which also means that there's a de facto weapons cache on campus at any given time.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

AngelEngine
AngelEngine's picture
User is offlineOffline
NO SEX? Jesus, how do these

NO SEX? Jesus, how do these people live?

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
AngelEngine wrote: NO SEX?

AngelEngine wrote:
NO SEX? Jesus, how do these people live?

I have a feeling this is why so many fundies are so uptight, some of them just need to get laid now and then. *sigh* 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
geirj wrote: Not a lot of

geirj wrote:

Dammit! Smiling  You beat me to it.  I was going to suggest to MedievalGuy that he put quotes around "Liberty" and "University." Eye-wink 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline

DrTerwilliker wrote:
I actually almost want to cry for these people. No R-rated movies even? Where the hell does that come from?

I didn't see an R-rated movie until I was well over 21.  I was such a bore. Sad  I didn't see a PG-rated movie until Star Wars came out.  I was eleven.  I remember vividly my mother covering my eyes when Luke came upon the smoldering bodies of his aunt and uncle.

Should I have warned about a spoiler?   

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
UltraMonk wrote: I don't

UltraMonk wrote:
I don't understand why they even have rules at Liberty University? Aren't they meant to be good, law and morally abiding folk attending it?

Before I attended a Christian college I had to sign a profession of faith.   

heyeverybody
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Medievalguy,

theists are not permitted to post in the Freethinking Anonymous only section of the forum

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
heyeverybody

heyeverybody wrote:
Medievalguy, I actually go to Liberty Seminary. Which school do you go to? Ergun Caner is doing an event for the local colleges in November or December. Liberty students aren't invited. I think they might be doing it at Lynchburg College, but I'm not sure. I think he is taking questions, you should ask him one. See if you can stump him.

RRS has already been there and done that. Eye-wink

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/the_rational_response_squad_radio_show/the_rational_response_squad/5203

heyeverybody
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

theists are not permitted to post in the Freethinking Anonymous only section of the forum

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
heyeverybody wrote: Iruka

heyeverybody wrote:
Iruka Naminori wrote:
heyeverybody wrote:
Medievalguy, I actually go to Liberty Seminary. Which school do you go to? Ergun Caner is doing an event for the local colleges in November or December. Liberty students aren't invited. I think they might be doing it at Lynchburg College, but I'm not sure. I think he is taking questions, you should ask him one. See if you can stump him.

RRS has already been there and done that. Eye-wink

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/the_rational_response_squad_radio_show/the_rational_response_squad/5203

oh, you're talking about the radio show. everybody here is biased, so i'll say, i think ergun did a very, very good job. i'd admit if he didn't (ehem, Matt Slick). What's to lose here? do you not want to have dialogue? (i think you're missing the point if you say "no.&quotEye-winkAnd when is RRS going to visit Liberty? I promise we wont bite. Im sure some people here have been to campus church before and they were not treated badly. And arent you all tired of talking about Way of the Master? i mean Caner has offered his best scholars!! come on.
Forgive me if you guys already have a date settled. im really just messing with Ik here.

Actually, if you read the thread I posted, you'll see that even the theists / Christians weren't terribly impressed with Mr. Caner's answers.  I wasn't either.  However, he was a lot nicer than I thought he would be.  Everyone stayed level-headed.  It gave me a little hope.

Speaking only for myself, I am not terribly interested in a "dialogue" with fundamentalists at this time. Catch me at a time when religion isn't tearing my life apart and I might try again.  Right now I feel like most of you don't care about the truth or who you hurt by clinging to rigid, disproven belief systems.  I'd like to be proven wrong.  It would make me feel maybe a teensy bit better about losing my family to the beast of religion.

heyeverybody
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
heyeverybody

heyeverybody wrote:
Medievalguy,  I actually go to Liberty Seminary.  Which school do you go to?  Ergun Caner is doing an event for the local colleges in November or December.  Liberty students aren't invited.  I think they might be doing it at Lynchburg College, but I'm not sure.  I think he is taking questions, you should ask him one.  See if you can stump him.
As for the rules, I know they are outdated.  And contrary to popular belief, most people here aren't that uptight, some are.  RA's are the saftey patrol of the school.  My roommate and I got a good laugh the other day, because an RA who had written my roommate up this semester was out of dress code.  We joked about calling him out, he didn't have a collared shirt, so he wore a scarf over it.  
50 years ago you wouldn't have found a school in America without a lot of those rules.  Maybe the others should follow suit considering Liberty has a very low crime rate.  Compared to my undergrad University of Florida, it's like a different planet, and that can be good...except on gameday.
And for those of you who think we are not alowed to touch the opposite sex.  One of my teachers told a story about a kid who kissed a girl at graduation.  My teacher jokingly said, "Hey, no PDA (public displays of affection)."  The student replied, "That's ok, she's carrying my baby."  Yes...they were married.  
So when is RRS going to come to Campus Church anyway?

Wow, he was out of dress code? How scandalous. And married people kissing in public! Kids these days, what is the country coming to? 

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm wondering what a theist

I'm wondering what a theist is doing in here, but while he's asking questions I'll give a couple of quick answers

heyeverybody wrote:

2. I don't think true Christianity is religion at all. I think it has been made into relgion, but it is really about letting go. Religion is about working for something.3. Would I be wrong to say that one of the attractive things about atheism is the ability to let go and stop trying? I have noticed that it is simliar to Christianity in that way. 4. Would it make you happy if you found out that God really does love you? 
 2)   From Merriam-Webstter: Religion: (1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance.Yup, xianity is a religion.
3) What do you mean by let go and stop trying? 4) It makes me happy (can't speak for everyone) to know how the world works, so if there were a god that would be something I would be very interested in. And if that said god loved me then I would probably be even happier.

Of course it goes without saying that 1) After many years of searching I've yet to find any evidence of any god and 2) It's pretty obvious that the yahweh doesn't love anyone.

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:

geirj wrote:

Dammit! Smiling You beat me to it. I was going to suggest to MedievalGuy that he put quotes around "Liberty" and "University." Eye-wink

If you notice, every time I talk about Liberty "University" I always put the quotation marks around university. I guess I should do the same for "Liberty" 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
heyeverybody wrote:

heyeverybody wrote:
Iruka Naminori wrote:

Actually, if you read the thread I posted, you'll see that even the theists / Christians weren't terribly impressed with Mr. Caner's answers. I wasn't either. However, he was a lot nicer than I thought he would be. Everyone stayed level-headed. It gave me a little hope.

Speaking only for myself, I am not terribly interested in a "dialogue" with fundamentalists at this time. Catch me at a time when religion isn't tearing my life apart and I might try again. Right now I feel like most of you don't care about the truth or who you hurt by clinging to rigid, disproven belief systems. I'd like to be proven wrong. It would make me feel maybe a teensy bit better about losing my family to the beast of religion.

1. I'm not sure if life will ever stop tearing us apart.

I didn't say life was tearing me apart. I said religion was tearing my life apart. Don't put words in my mouth, please.
Religion is the gift that keeps on giving. Once you've managed to extract yourself from its clutches and ban fear of hell, you have to deal with maniacal family members who see you as a threat to their beliefs for simply existing. I have not actively tried to deconvert family members. I was trying to leave them out of it by working here in the public spectrum (Hi, Mom).
I think Jerry Falwell was instrumental in turning members of my family into mouth-breathing right-wingers who let Pat Robertson, Rush Limbaugh and Faux News do their thinking for them (Hi, Mom). Before Reagan became president, my family actually did some thinking for themselves. I think. They actually still thought of Carter as a "decent man" and were suspicious of George H. W. Bush, as well they should have been. Of course, they didn't like him because he was a member of the Trilateral Commission , but the point is they didn't paint all Republicans as saints until they were told to by religious leaders.

heyeverybody wrote:
2. I don't think true Christianity is religion at all. I think it has been made into relgion, but it is really about letting go. Religion is about working for something.

If Christianity isn't a religion, what is it? What is "true" Christianity?

heyeverybody wrote:
3. Would I be wrong to say that one of the attractive things about atheism is the ability to let go and stop trying?
I have noticed that it is simliar to Christianity in that way.

What?! Hehehe. Smiling That's funny!
No. Since I'm on my own, it's my responsibility to take control of my own life and make it work. Christianity is about giving up responsibility and leaving everything up to an imaginary sky daddy. Of course, no one showed or taught me how to take responsibility for my own life, so I still have a lot to learn.

heyeverybody wrote:
4. Would it make you happy if you found out that God really does love you?

It would make me every bit as happy as learning that the invisible microscopic orangutans living in my armpits love me.

(On edit: I've noticed that my paragraph breaks aren't being saved lately. Yes, I'm using Firefox. Someone call Giz Eye-wink )

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Medievalguy wrote: Iruka

Medievalguy wrote:
Iruka Naminori wrote:

geirj wrote:

Dammit! Smiling You beat me to it. I was going to suggest to MedievalGuy that he put quotes around "Liberty" and "University." Eye-wink

If you notice, every time I talk about Liberty "University" I always put the quotation marks around university. I guess I should do the same for "Liberty"

Yup, that was the idea. Smiling  BTW, love your sig. 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

-snip-

Wow, he was out of dress code? How scandalous. And married people kissing in public! Kids these days, what is the country coming to?

BTW...since I'm commenting on sigs, I've been meaning to tell you that your avatar reminds me of an evil Brian from Family Guy.  I swear...all you need to do is Photoshop that face onto Brian's body.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:
heyeverybody wrote:

I didn't say life was tearing me apart. I said religion was tearing my life apart. Don't put words in my mouth, please.
Damn, Iruka - you beat me to it! I was all over the word change. Smiling
heyeverybody wrote:
Iruka Naminori wrote:
It would make me every bit as happy as learning that the invisible microscopic orangutans living in my armpits love me.

It wouldn't make me happy either. If God maybe came down from the heavens and told me himself, I'm not sure that it would make me happy so much as it would make me ponder my atheism a bit.
I'll tell you what would make me happy. I live my life under the opposite of the assertion of Pascal's Wager. I don't know if it has a name, but I'll call it the Orangutan's Wager, in a nod to evolution and Iruka's armpits.
The Orangutan's Wager is this: What if there is no God, and therefore all the prayers being sent by us to him are going unanswered? A lot of people are asking a lot of things of God. Doesn't it make more sense to live our lives assuming God doesn't exist, and take care of the things ourselves that we're asking of God? To do good and compassionate works for the betterment of society and, more importantly, the planet? (Don't get me started on Christianity's lack of interest in preserving the environment.)
If we live this way, and there actually is a God, I would hope - based on everything I've read and heard about him - that he'd be smart enough to let us in the pearly gates. I mean, if I got to heaven and God said "You know, you led a good life, did lots of good things, didn't kill anyone or steal...but you didn't believe in me - so off to hell with you!" - I'd be not only pissed, but I'd also be glad I was an atheist anyway because that's not the kind of god I have any interest in worshipping.
I'd be much happier if I got to heaven and God said "I know, things are really screwy down there on earth, but there's a nice buffet lunch set up over here in the St. Peter Room, and at 1 o'clock there's a briefing for new arrivals that will hopefully help explain things a bit."

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori

Iruka Naminori wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

-snip-

Wow, he was out of dress code? How scandalous. And married people kissing in public! Kids these days, what is the country coming to?

BTW...since I'm commenting on sigs, I've been meaning to tell you that your avatar reminds me of an evil Brian from Family Guy.  I swear...all you need to do is Photoshop that face onto Brian's body.

Lol, it actually is my old dog and he used to act like an evil Brian too. He's saving a good spot for me in hell now.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

DrTerwilliker wrote:

I wonder if they make an exception for "The Passion of the Christ"...  

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
heyeverybody

heyeverybody wrote:
As for the rules, I know they are outdated. And contrary to popular belief, most people here aren't that uptight, some are. RA's are the saftey patrol of the school. My roommate and I got a good laugh the other day, because an RA who had written my roommate up this semester was out of dress code. We joked about calling him out, he didn't have a collared shirt, so he wore a scarf over it.
50 years ago you wouldn't have found a school in America without a lot of those rules. Maybe the others should follow suit considering Liberty has a very low crime rate. Compared to my undergrad University of Florida, it's like a different planet, and that can be good...except on gameday.
And for those of you who think we are not alowed to touch the opposite sex. One of my teachers told a story about a kid who kissed a girl at graduation. My teacher jokingly said, "Hey, no PDA (public displays of affection)." The student replied, "That's ok, she's carrying my baby." Yes...they were married.
So when is RRS going to come to Campus Church anyway?

Is it a low crime rate or a low reported crime rate? Huge difference. 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

iranu
User is offlineOffline
I think I broke most of

I think I broke most of those rules within the first week of being at university.  If heaven is full of these people I sure as hell don't want to spend eternity there.

TonyZXT
atheist
TonyZXT's picture
User is offlineOffline
iranu wrote: I think I

iranu wrote:
I think I broke most of those rules within the first week of being at university. If heaven is full of these people I sure as hell don't want to spend eternity there.

You make a good point.  If heaven is just full of fundies, it would be like hell to most of us here anyway.  Besides, you know all the best parties aint in heaven! 

"They always say the same thing; 'But evolution is only a theory!!' Which is true, I guess, and it's good they say that I think, it gives you hope that they feel the same about the theory of Gravity and they might just float the f**k away."

JeremiahSmith
User is offlineOffline
heyeverybody wrote: 1. I'm

heyeverybody wrote:

Love.

Love will tear us apart.

Again.

Quote:
2. I don't think true Christianity is religion at all.

Hee! You said "true Christianity". Smiling

Quote:
No, because the way he shows that love indicates that his love is like that of an abusive husband or stalker psycho.

Götter sind für Arten, die sich selbst verraten -- in den Glauben flüchten um sich hinzurichten. Menschen brauchen Götter um sich zu verletzen, um sich zu vernichten -- das sind wir.