Interesting

Rogue9
User is offlineOffline
Interesting

Does anyone else think the description of this forum is a bit...oxymoronic?  

Freethinking people only...No taboo topics...NO THEISM!  WE WILL DESTROY THEISM!

Just joined the site, I guess this is sort of my test post to see how many free thinking people there truly are here.

I guess it just threw me off that a site that promotes free thinking would wish to stifle questions and...

well....

thought. 

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
We have already heard this

We have already heard this argument. A few times actually. Got anything new to add to it? Why is it surprising that a group of atheists want a place just for themselves? Theist are allowed and even encouraged to post in any other forum.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Your comment would be apt

Your comment would be apt if theists were allowed to post no where on the site; however, this is the only forum from which they are restricted.  "Freethinker" is a nomenclature that refers to atheists; so, it is akin to saying "atheist" anonymous.

I invite you to go to the General Conversation forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Look up the definition of

Look up the definition of 'freethinker'. Trust me, the founders of this site didn't make it up.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Pathofreason
Superfan
Pathofreason's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well

They have sections for everyone else? It's not like they are saying Freethinkers only all across the forum. They have a section to discuss theism vs. Atheism. I could understand your point if they said No Theist's at all.

Co-Founder of the Atheist/Freethought website Pathofreason.com

www.pathofreason.com

Check it out

Rogue9
User is offlineOffline
funny

I understand the need to have a haven where no one argues against you (although it does irk me that "freethinkers" must think like you do), I simply thought the description of the forum was a little...deceptive.  

DrTerwilliker
DrTerwilliker's picture
User is offlineOffline
You may be misunderstanding

You may be misunderstanding the definition of freethinking.  Here's the def. from dictionary.com:

free·think·er (frē'thĭng'kər) 
n.   1) One who has rejected authority and dogma, especially in religious thinking, in favor of rational inquiry and speculation.

2) a person who forms opinions on the basis of reason, independent of authority or tradition, esp. a person whose religious opinions differ from established belief.

This would, in most cases, not suggest a theist.  I understand that there may be a rare few theists who fall under this definition, but for the most part, these people would lack any particular belief in a deity. 

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmm

I think you are getting a bit too hung up on semantics.