They actually do exist!

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
They actually do exist!

I had always heard people claiming the craziest things they heard come out of a theists mouth.  I always felt like there was no way people out there were that ignorant but I actually heard an earful of it the other day.

I'm flipping through AM stations to get college football scores the other day and I stumble onto an evangelical xian's talk show and actually heard him say all of the following things:

"Evolution is a myth and has been thoroughly debunked several times"

"The inquisition was an anomily and the bible doesn't preach violence"

"Humanism is responsible for more deaths world wide than any other religion and it's not even close"

"The full title of Darwin's book is 'On the Origin of Species and the preservation of favored races'.  That means Darwin was a racist and so is evolution" 

"Most secular humanists haven't even read 'On the Origin of Species'"

How is that last one even an point??  I would probably guess that just as many atheists have read Origin of Species as xians have read the whole bible.

I'm sure there was more than that as well, I just can't remember it at the moment. 

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
Of course The Origin of

Of course The Origin of Species isn't the overall authoritative  document of Atheism, like the bible is supposed to be the overall authoritative document of Christianity.... so yeah, not really much of a point he's made.

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Isn't it scary how idiotic

Isn't it scary how idiotic humans can be? I am reminded of one my my favorite Einstien quotes

Einstien wrote:
There are two things that are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and i am not sure of the former.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Heck my mother is a very

Heck my mother is a very intelligent person but she believes some really stupid things.

1) There was no "monkey". (Meaning the common ape-like ancestor to both humans and the other great apes)

2) Noah's flood actually covered all of the Earth.

3) It never rained (not once) before Noah's flood.

4) Religiously themed near death experiences prove religion.

Just shows me how religion can literally hijack a person's intelligence into believing utter rubbish.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

BethG
BethG's picture
User is offlineOffline
In my town, a couple of

In my town, a couple of weeks ago, I saw someone wearing a shirt from the Creationist Museum in KY.  It said something like "I went and I believe"  or somesuch.

It was depressing. Sad 

DrTerwilliker
DrTerwilliker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote: Heck my

Watcher wrote:

Heck my mother is a very intelligent person but she believes some really stupid things.

1) There was no "monkey". (Meaning the common ape-like ancestor to both humans and the other great apes)

Just shows me how religion can literally hijack a person's intelligence into believing utter rubbish.

WOW!  Where the hell is #3 even coming from?  My dad's an evangelical minister, and I've still never heard him say anything quite that stupid.  

Wait.  He did once say "You know, I think the Salem Witch Trials were justified."  That's pretty fucking stupid. 

Juvenile Narcissist
Silver Member
Juvenile Narcissist's picture
User is offlineOffline
DrTerwilliker

DrTerwilliker wrote:
Watcher wrote:

WOW! Where the hell is #3 even coming from? My dad's an evangelical minister, and I've still never heard him say anything quite that stupid.

Wait. He did once say "You know, I think the Salem Witch Trials were justified." That's pretty fucking stupid.

i went to a southern baptist school as a kid, and i was taught that it never rained before the flood. something about there being a "rain canopy" that was full of water and just kept everything moist or something. it was their pseudo-scientific way of trying to explain how it could rain for 40 days/night. looking back, i can't believe my parents actually PAID for me to get an education that bad. i feel completely robbed.

Rill

ispeakmetal
ispeakmetal's picture
User is offlineOffline
GEN 2:6 But there went up

GEN 2:6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.

This combined with the fact that there had never been rainbows before the flood provide some of the rationale for thinking that it never rained until the flood. It's a pretty common idea among fundies.

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm so bummed.    I

I'm so bummed.

I totally forgot the best quote of the entire show...

"Newton, who I think was the greatest scientist ever, didn't believe in the theory of evolution"

My jaw hit the floor when I heard this one.  I'm sure he also didn't believe in radio waves either Sticking out tongue

This is by far the dumbest thing I have ever heard come out of a creationists mouth. 

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Juvenile Narcissist

Juvenile Narcissist wrote:

i went to a southern baptist school as a kid, and i was taught that it never rained before the flood. something about there being a "rain canopy" that was full of water and just kept everything moist or something. it was their pseudo-scientific way of trying to explain how it could rain for 40 days/night. looking back, i can't believe my parents actually PAID for me to get an education that bad. i feel completely robbed.

Goodness, imagine all the air pressure necessary to keep that amount of water up in the air.  Perhaps Adam and Eve had gills.  It makes me wonder if fundies hate science or just fear it like a phobia about snakes. 

iranu
User is offlineOffline
ispeakmetal wrote: GEN 2:6

ispeakmetal wrote:

GEN 2:6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.

And they will claim that this quote shows the bible to be scientific.

Tongue out

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
V1per41 wrote: "Newton, who

V1per41 wrote:
"Newton, who I think was the greatest scientist ever, didn't believe in the theory of evolution"

Lol! Fantastic!
Even when they get a true fact they still manage to find the most retarded way to apply it! Laughing out loud