moderates are the solution??

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
moderates are the solution??

I went to a lecure last night at my college.  It's part of a series on current topics.  Generally speaking I have found the series informative and make a point to attend.  The "lecturers" are staff from the University that are typically well-known in their field and have usually written a book or ten.

Last night the lecure was on world conflicts - not just Muslim related but pretty much all the current conflicts in the world that involved more than one nation.  The woman seemed educated from the bio and it sounded like she researched this issue with a group of scholars for some time.  Well, obviously religion creaped in which I wasn't surprised about since religion causes most conflicts, but...

On thing she said that really pissed me off was that even though this was not a "Christian" country, all the founding fathers were Christians!  She went into contradictions in the Bible, Koran, etc... I think it was mostly to get laughs as she used examples like the justified killing of your backtalking teanager.   Then she stated that all these "Abrahamic Religions" should really realize how similar they are and work together, however the fundamentalists were the problem. In her view, we need a rise of religious "moderates" - her examples were MLK, Ghandi and some Bishop something or other guy I had not heard of. 

I tried to ask a question afterwards but the moderator only allows three questions (typical in this series) and I wasn't seated in the first few rows like the people that did get called on.  I want to send her an e-mail.  I can't believe someone that has "researched" this for so long and presents these "conclusions" about the religious moderates being the "solution" could be so ignorant! 

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Virtually nobody wants to

Virtually nobody wants to piss off moderates because they comprise such a large and powerful voting block, not to mention a huge consumer block.  Anybody with a vested interest in damn near anything is too smart to piss off half the country.

Even so, the logic is inescapable.  Without the compliance of moderates, the religious right would have no political power.

If you're interested, I wrote an essay about this very thing.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
We have too many religious

We have too many religious moderates right now. That's the problem. Too many religious moderates who actually listen to too many extremists/fundamentalists. What we need are more religious liberals (which do exist). A lot more.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit - that was

Hambydammit - that was interesting essay. Thanks for the link.

If this woman was just trying to sell books I would understand - I still wouldn't think it was right but I would 'understand' where she was coming from. However, when she said the thing about all the founding fathers being Christian I relized that there was quite a chance that she actually believed this BS.  I have an exam tomorrow, but I think later this week I'm going to write her a letter.

richard955
User is offlineOffline
I think the speaker had a

I think the speaker had a point from a practical viewpoint. It seems easier to convert a fundamentalist to a moderate than to an atheist. And if that would reduce the violence, I have to agree with it.

The worldview of the rational atheist is so far away from that of the fundamentalist and even the moderate religious that I find it very hard to come up with a line of debate that may persuade the religious. So maybe we have to find a way to minimize the violence and live in peace both atheists and religious.

A mystic is someone who wants to understand the universe, but is too lazy to study physics.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
   ... anyone who says

... anyone who says our atheist founding fathers were xians should be rounded up for an up coming buddhist comedy tv show, to air 2050 ?

get pissed, fix the tv, world wide tv .... I am even more pissed off than yesterday, thanks RRS

....and this weeks "Newsweek" magazine cover ! oh shit, more god of abraham delusion with A bombs .... Pakistan, "The most dangerous nation in the world"

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
richard955 wrote: I think

richard955 wrote:

I think the speaker had a point from a practical viewpoint. It seems easier to convert a fundamentalist to a moderate than to an atheist. And if that would reduce the violence, I have to agree with it.

The worldview of the rational atheist is so far away from that of the fundamentalist and even the moderate religious that I find it very hard to come up with a line of debate that may persuade the religious. So maybe we have to find a way to minimize the violence and live in peace both atheists and religious.

I see what you're saying and if you had given the lecture I probably would not have left so upset.  She did not say anything about 'converting' fundies... she simply said the moderate leaders should rise up (as MLK and the Dalai Lama did).  She argued that moderates are best chosen for this because they change their religion with time as opposed to holding on to 2k year old traditions.  

It just seemed rather uneducated from a supposed 'expert' in the field.

Shadrach
Shadrach's picture
User is offlineOffline
the moderates are just a

the moderates are just a buffer for fundies from reality, they are the go between.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shadrach wrote: the

Shadrach wrote:
the moderates are just a buffer for fundies from reality, they are the go between.

that, and i've always felt that if we respect the religious views of the moderates we have to except that of fundamentals as well.  Just my $0.02 - personally i respect the person, but i will not respect irrational beliefs. 

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
geirj wrote: We have too

geirj wrote:
We have too many religious moderates right now. That's the problem. Too many religious moderates who actually listen to too many extremists/fundamentalists. What we need are more religious liberals (which do exist). A lot more.

Before I can make my point on this topic, we need to talk about the word 'moderate'. In the Uk (and possibly other places like this university) we use the word 'moderate' for what Americans call 'liberals' and the word 'fundamentalist' for what many Americans call 'moderates' and for what American's call fundamentalists... well, we don't really have a word for that - when the existence of such people are shown to us we're like, "wtf?" wtf

It sounds like the speaker was using the word 'moderate' in the same way that we do here in the uk. My opinion on this forum might be a bit controversial, but I think that there is virtue in religion when it is treated the right way. Moderates/liberals tend to get this balance, that they implicitly recognise how religion should be treated as opposed to simple minded literalists.

I think that many atheists also miss the point in religion (mostly those who take their idea of religion from fundamentalists) often taking it as an alternative account of the facts of the world to science. If you look at religion as it is really practiced, it kind of makes claims but people don't treat it to inform as facts (and those who do we call fundamentalists) - most treat it as an important part of their lives and claim more that it is important for humans in dealing with their experience with the world. I think that literalists on both sides have missed the point in religious belief, literalists on the religious side who demand that religious beliefs be treated like literal facts, and those who believe that religion is irrational because religious beliefs are false as literal fact.

That's why moderates tend to have the credibility, as they have recognised what 'truth' religions does have and also recognise the limits of such truth.

Shadrach
Shadrach's picture
User is offlineOffline
maybe in europe its a little

maybe in europe its a little different than the US. around 60% of americans believe the bible is factual, all of it. about 40% believe the rapture will happen in their life time. this is a massive number of people (100 million americans), you brits would say "wtf?", i know i do.

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Perhaps to prove your point,

Perhaps to prove your point, I don't believe those statistics at all! Laughing out loud
Given the large amount of fundamentalism in America, it's perhaps not surprising that most American atheists use fundamentalism/literalism as their 'model' for religion.

The problem is when they go on to make statements about religion in general. You can tell because many of them define religion as dogma and indoctrination, but if you look at religion around the world this definition doesn't always apply.

Shadrach
Shadrach's picture
User is offlineOffline
well the numbers are real,

well the numbers are real, click the links and read for yourself.

this is from 2006

Poll: Nearly One-Third of Americans Believe Bible Word-for-Word

and this one is from 2007

One-Third of Americans Believe the Bible is Literally True

ArianeB
ArianeB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Politically I like to call

Politically I like to call myself a "Radical Moderate". On many political issues I take moderate positions, which are not only consistent ideologically, but guaranteed to upset both the left and right (for example I belive that Abortions and Guns should both be "safe legal and rare&quotEye-wink.

But, comparing my philosophy to the radical right wing theocrat/neo-con cabal I can be easily mistaken for a liberal.

Getting back to the topic of Moderate Christians however, I have been reading the Freke-Gandy books on "Gnostic Christians" and their interesting theory of Jesus as a Myth.

What fascinates me is that a form of Christianity once existed that did not rely on the acceptance of irrational mythology as literally true, but merely allegorical to teach followers how to live a decent life. Gnosticism is basically a Christian form of Budhism (including the rejection of an anthropomorphic god in favor of being one with the universe).

The modern day equivalent would not be the moderate christians, but the Unitarian/Universalists. The UUs basically believe in church without the religion. Why? Because church is a social gathering of like minded individuals. Church members look out for one another, and church organization requires LEADERS. If you do not have leaders, church participation can create leaders. Churches are mini communities of members that together can do big things.

Here we hit upon the reason why the fundamentalists are winning even though they clearly do not have reason or logic on their side: Leadership and organization.

It is not just a matter of a lack of moderate Christian leaders taking back Christianity from the fundies, it is also a serious lack of rational-atheist-humanist leaders (and followers) willing to take back truth from the irrationalism wherever it may be found. The fact that we have no interest in "Church" puts us at a huge disadvantage.

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shadrach wrote: maybe in

Shadrach wrote:
maybe in europe its a little different than the US. around 60% of americans believe the bible is factual, all of it. about 40% believe the rapture will happen in their life time. this is a massive number of people (100 million americans), you brits would say "wtf?", i know i do.

You are misrepresenting the poll a little here. You said "60% of americans believe the bible is factual, all of it" when the poll says 31% believe it is literal. Then again, another 47% said it is inspired by god... sigh.

-Triften 

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
ArianeB wrote: The modern

ArianeB wrote:

The modern day equivalent would not be the moderate christians, but the Unitarian/Universalists. The UUs basically believe in church without the religion. Why? Because church is a social gathering of like minded individuals. Church members look out for one another, and church organization requires LEADERS. If you do not have leaders, church participation can create leaders. Churches are mini communities of members that together can do big things.

On the way home from school tonight I saw a car with two bumper stickers.  One was for a local UU church, the other said "My FAITH will vote No on #1"  (Number 1 was a local marriage ammendment - giving rights to unmarried partners regardless of sex.)  When people with so-called 'moderate' views still place their faith in control at the voting booth I'm scared... 

Reality Fan
Reality Fan's picture
User is offlineOffline
By my standards, neither

By my standards, neither MLK Jr nor ghandi were moderates.  They were radicals.  They deliberately walked out of the mainstream to effect change.

Remember when radicals were sometimes the good guys?

Regarding her comment that all the founding fathers were christians; I know this lie has been promoted for a long time, but I get the distinct impression that the churches are really pushing it hard these days because I'm hearing it more and more often.  On the radio I heard a reference yesterday about someone claiming that not only were all the founding fathers christian, they were actually members of the clergy!

They're using the same tactic Bush does: repeat a lie often enough and eventually people will believe it.

Susan

Shadrach
Shadrach's picture
User is offlineOffline
thats why i attend UU

thats why i attend UU functions, and not all of them are smelly hippies.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Reality Fan wrote: By my

Reality Fan wrote:

By my standards, neither MLK Jr nor ghandi were moderates. They were radicals. They deliberately walked out of the mainstream to effect change.

I agree and I also don't think MLK needed to use religion to have done what he did but seems like it's rare to find someone that shares that view. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote: that,

shelleymtjoy wrote:
that, and i've always felt that if we respect the religious views of the moderates we have to except that of fundamentals as well.  Just my $0.02 - personally i respect the person, but i will not respect irrational beliefs.

I'm so glad someone else understands this.   It's hard for people to digest the implications of this because nobody is off the hook.  It's such a threatening concept, but it's true.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Shadrach
Shadrach's picture
User is offlineOffline
i believe that most people

i believe that most people are really good and will do good things for the betterment of mankind.

religion is the most popular way of doing good things (and bad things too), which is why they feel like they have the high ground when it comes to morality.

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy

shelleymtjoy wrote:
Reality Fan wrote:

By my standards, neither MLK Jr nor ghandi were moderates. They were radicals. They deliberately walked out of the mainstream to effect change.

I agree and I also don't think MLK needed to use religion to have done what he did but seems like it's rare to find someone that shares that view.

While I appreciate the sincerity of the statement, I don't think that MLK would have attracted more than a couple of followers for his journey had it not been for religion. Like AdrianeB pointed out, religion has its organization and leadership down to a science. MLK, while a brilliant and compassionate man, used the church as a tool to rouse the hearts of his followers. Had he not used that tool, his words would have fallen on deaf ears and he would have died much younger.

On the idea of moderates (semantic arguments aside), I believe the moderates are fully culpable for the affect religion has on society and the government. While they are not the ones stepping out and trying to change public opinion, they are the people that are quietly voting for the Right and spending their money in religious stores and donating to religious causes. They are fully within their rights to do so but calling them anything but THE reason for religions vast power is incorrect. If it were not for the moderate religious dinks the fundie psychos would have not power/effect at all. They would just be flakes standing on street corners screaming about Santa Claus.

[edited for content]

Shadrach
Shadrach's picture
User is offlineOffline
oh, now you deny Santa

oh, now you deny Santa Claus?

well if hes not real then whos lap was i sitting on last year???

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote: While I

marcusfish wrote:

While I appreciate the sincerity of the statement, I don't think that MLK would have attracted more than a couple of followers for his journey had it not been for religion. Like AdrianeB pointed out, religion has its organization and leadership down to a science. MLK, while a brilliant and compassionate man, used the church as a tool to rouse the hearts of his followers. Had he not used that tool, his words would have fallen on deaf ears and he would have died much younger.

True.  I suppose I should have said that I see MLK as being so uniquely charasmatic that there must be a way for a movement to succeed solely on the merits of that movement rather than on the back of religion. 

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote: True.

shelleymtjoy wrote:

True. I suppose I should have said that I see MLK as being so uniquely charasmatic that there must be a way for a movement to succeed solely on the merits of that movement rather than on the back of religion.

Granted; if anyone could have done it, MLK would certainly have been the guy. Even still, using the most powerful weapon of our species (the fear and wonder of religion) MLK accomplished more than he should have been capable of. He was clearly a very charismatic man and his community, forced by the fear of hell or not, would have (and did) follow him to their own bloody deaths.

Sorry to distract from the original topic.  

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Granted; if anyone

Quote:

Granted; if anyone could have done it, MLK would certainly have been the guy. Even still, using the most powerful weapon of our species (the fear and wonder of religion) MLK accomplished more than he should have been capable of. He was clearly a very charismatic man and his community, forced by the fear of hell or not, would have (and did) follow him to their own bloody deaths.

Sorry to distract from the original topic.

Because this topic is so near and dear to me, I feel like I have to chime in. It's very, very important to note that we're talking about two distinct things here. This paragraph comes close to sounding like an admission that something unique happened because of religion that wasn't possible without it. It simply isn't so.

What MLK did was hasten the end of racial discrimination in America in the last half of the 20th century. We have to note that all over the world, there are places where there is no legalized discrimination, and there was no religious leader necessary to get that way.

While it may be true that religious fervor made it an easier sell to Americans -- and I'm honestly not convinced that this is true -- it is not true that discrimination could only end with the help of religion. It is remarkably easy to construct a scientifically compelling argument for the equality of the races, and very easy to construct a model of an equal society based on nothing more than that scientific data and the principle of blind justice.

More on whether or not it was a religious sell. Although this is not my area of historical expertise, I get the distinct impression that the gist of most discussions of race was not, "God wants it to be equal, so we ought to do it that way." Rather, people discussed the logical reasons why race should not be used for discrimination. It's impossible to know what kind of impact a non-religious activist would have had, but it's instructive to note that the suffragist movement was not religious, though it entered the national consciousness with the same kind of rapidity as equal race rights.

That's not a point I'm really interested in debating because I'm admittedly not well versed enough in the civil rights movement. The point that I want to emphasize is that we have many clear demonstrations that civil rights are possible without religion. To suggest that MLK could only have done what he did when he did it with the emphasis of religion is to miss the point entirely. Maybe the addition of the religious fervor hastened the awareness in the public consciousness. Nevertheless, the actual arguments for civil rights are not mysterious to us. We arrive at them by reason.

To summarize: Religion is not the only meme capable of motivating the public quickly and effectively. To suggest that because religion was used to motivate the public for a good end, religion is good on balance is ridiculous. Nobody I'm aware of denies the existence of good acts done in the name of religion, or because of devout religious fervor. I simply refuse to grant that because the ubiquitous character of altruism in humans infiltrates religion that it makes religion good.

That is all.

Books about atheism

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just wanted to let you

I just wanted to let you know how this ended up...

I wrote her an e-mail that was about a page long (single-spaced). She wrote two or three lines back that basically said everyone is entitled to their own opinion ... "like the difference in perspective about "terrorists" and "freedom fighters."

Clearly she didn't get what I was saying.  Either that or she really insulted me - I'd prefer to believe the former.