Not letting people speak

Eustacia_Vye
User is offlineOffline
Not letting people speak

I hate it when people do not let others speak.  It is a trick of preachers.  I was in Covent Garden at the weekend, and decided to have a chat with one of them.  What REALLY angered me was that I couldn't get a word in.  I'm starting to think that there is a 'preacher training school' where they are taught to speak very quickly non - stop, and fire bible verses at people.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to combat this?  Drives me insane.

E.V

QuasarX
QuasarX's picture
User is offlineOffline
The most effective method

The most effective method I've watched others perform is to play their game and try to talk over them until they realize that you're not going to put up with that tactic. My personal preference, however, is to hold up my hand to indicate that I want them to stop for a minute... and if they don't, I get up and walk away.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Make your hand a flat

Make your hand a flat plane.  Then, with yor flattened fingers, jab the opponent in the throat.  It should have two effects: surprise and sudden oxygen reduction.  Both will slow the opponent's speech down enough to get in any points you might be holding back to that point.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Slice
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: Make your hand

Nero wrote:
Make your hand a flat plane. Then, with yor flattened fingers, jab the opponent in the throat. It should have two effects: surprise and sudden oxygen reduction. Both will slow the opponent's speech down enough to get in any points you might be holding back to that point.

Pastors don't have brains; lack of oxygen would only mildly annoy them Sticking out tongue

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
The most effective tactic

The most effective tactic for me is to listen. What I mean by this.... feign my interest and delight at their theologic spewings. Then, when they think they have me right where they want me and they are tired (usually about 35 minutes) I smile and tell them that I don't believe them. THEN I walk away... it is neat to see their face.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

kaab
User is offlineOffline
The only way to combat this

The only way to combat this is to be just as irrational as they are. trust me, my wifes dad (I refuse to refer to him as my stepfather) is a belligerent religious nut and is a founding member of Operation Rescue. when they start raising their voice and shouting and trying to win the argument by sheer volume and intimidation and belligerence, start shaking your fists and tell them that they could not be more ridiculous and ignorant if there was a contest that had the sole outcome of coming up with something retarded.

"You have no leg to stand on, your argument is completely ridiculous, and you are not even intellectually qualified to even argue with me on this matter. There is, literally, nothing to argue about. the tenets of Darwinian evolution have been tested time and time again, and without fail, they have passed all these so-called tests."

Be bold, fuck those idiots, they are retarded and wicked and by their own biblical definitions, evil.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I scream at them, "you are

I scream at them, "you are just like the self rightious pharisees of the bible book who killed Atheist jesus who tried to free people from religion. Who the hell told you we aren't god ? What bible are you reading ? Jesus would call you satan and a blind idiot. " ... etc.

I love throwing the bible back into the face of them dangerous fundys.

Off the top of my head, here's a pretty cool blog for ammunition. http://counterbias.com/201.html

The god of abraham was / is the enemy of JesusBuddha ....

( p.s. hey nero, did that make any sense ? )

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote: I

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

I scream at them, "you are just like the self rightious pharisees of the bible book who killed Atheist jesus who tried to free people from religion. Who the hell told you we aren't god ? What bible are you reading ? Jesus would call you satan and a blind idiot. " ... etc.

I love throwing the bible back into the face of them dangerous fundys.

Off the top of my head, here's a pretty cool blog for ammunition. http://counterbias.com/201.html

The god of abraham was / is the enemy of JesusBuddha ....

( p.s. hey nero, did that make any sense ? )

That is much improved.  It is amazing what happens when proper structure is used in communication, isn't it?  Keep your ideas well focused like this, and your contributions might be understood by your audience!

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eustacia_Vye wrote: I hate

Eustacia_Vye wrote:

I hate it when people do not let others speak. It is a trick of preachers. I was in Covent Garden at the weekend, and decided to have a chat with one of them. What REALLY angered me was that I couldn't get a word in. I'm starting to think that there is a 'preacher training school' where they are taught to speak very quickly non - stop, and fire bible verses at people. Does anyone have any ideas on how to combat this? Drives me insane.

E.V

I dont think that is a "preacher" trait as much as it is that we live in a McDonnalds society where growinginly people talk past each other.

I have atheist friends online that I vioce chat with, and admittdly sometimes I catch my own short attention span, and you should hear the three of us sometimes trying to get a word in edgwise with each other.

What ticks me off more than this situation, are the Televangelists on TV who dont debate themselves on national tv with an atheist. They hide in their studios and passively preach and never face the people they condemn. 

They have no disire to defend what they claim face to face with their opostion. Their goal is to raise money for their spacific club. If a "debate happens" it is a token think on their turf done by underlings as showboating, "Playing to the audiance".

I doubt that people like Pat Robertson or Ann Coulter have the moral courage to face RRS or Dan Barker or Christopher Hitchens outside Fox Noise Channel. These people are nothing but charlotons out for a buck. If they are not, we love to be proven wrong, then they should face us here as many times as we have faced them there on their turf.

I dont think they will because I dont think they have the balls to do it. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
   yeah brian37, that's

yeah brian37, that's why I keep yelling fix the tv (and radio) ,the  most important tool for public change.

That's why I wrote that misunderstood rrs blog, "to heal the christians give them god".....

The god in our western dictionary isn't the god of the east ....

If only the the public was just half informed of the many other ideas from Atheists,  Buddhists and real intellecuals.....

I am so troubled over this ...   

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Violence and screaming

Violence and screaming aside, no matter how satisfying it might be, I think the oxygen thing might be key here. Just keep trying to get a word in every time they need to take a breath. They will probably pause to take a breath so get in there. If they don't they breath they will pass out. win win.