Can employers not hire you because you have long hair? (for a guy?)

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline
Can employers not hire you because you have long hair? (for a guy?)

I put in an application at a local restaurant, and after waiting for 15 minutes to get an interview the manager finally comes over to me.  She pointed to some of the guys that worked there with their "clean cut" hairstyles, and said that they couldn't hire me because my hair was below my earlobes.  I kindly pointed out that the girls have longer hair than I do, but they tie it back.  Why would that be a problem?  I guess it's a guy thing.  Longer hair isn't "normal."  Now, some of my friends think this is kind of discrimination, and I could sue them for it.  I don't think so, not that I would want to work for them after they judged me already, but still.  What is the official word on this?

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
No,i t is not

No,i t is not discrimination.  Courts have repeatedly stated that companies have the right to have a "corporate image."  In my line of work, I must admit that I would not hire a male with long hair.  I also would not hire someone with visible tattoos, missing teeth, or filthy appearance.

I know it doesn't seem fair, but the corporate world isn't fair.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Unfortunately, that's the

Unfortunately, that's the way it works.  For example, I have to make sure that none of my tattoos are visible when I go work.  Actually, the way I look at work is nothing like the way I look outside of work! 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane

pariahjane wrote:
Unfortunately, that's the way it works.  For example, I have to make sure that none of my tattoos are visible when I go work.  Actually, the way I look at work is nothing like the way I look outside of work! 

Do tell.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ditto everything everyone

Ditto everything everyone else said.

However, I aslo used to be an HR director and from that position I would say that if the length of your hair is really causing a problem in gaiing employment and you don't want to cut it (I assume) go to the interview with it *already* tied back.  Some people will have a different response if they could see what pulling it back really means.

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah I have long hair and

Yeah I have long hair and luckily in the field and stuff I do its not (or hasn't been) a big deal.  If your hair is long enough to put in a pony tail, I would think most companies would not have a big issue with it but im sure there are some that would.  Just as having a shaved head might affect you.  Or as Nero pointed out, tattoos. 

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I had long hair for about

I had long hair for about four years that I always pulled back. Fortunately I worked in the non-profit sector for the most part during that time, so it was looked at as simply "different" and not detrimental in any way. I even got hired by a for-profit company, though they were fairly liberal and progressive. Ironically, the CEO never gave me shit about my hair, but he was all over me (and other male employees) if we missed a day shaving. Go figure.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: pariahjane

Nero wrote:

pariahjane wrote:
Unfortunately, that's the way it works. For example, I have to make sure that none of my tattoos are visible when I go work. Actually, the way I look at work is nothing like the way I look outside of work!

Do tell.

Can't.  It's top secret.  I'd have to kill you if I told you.  Sticking out tongue

If god takes life he's an indian giver

AngelEngine
AngelEngine's picture
User is offlineOffline
The same reason why Modeling

The same reason why Modeling industries dont hire women who are fat, ugly, and unpleasant.

stevedave83
stevedave83's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's an unfortunate

That's an unfortunate truth.  My wife has five tattoos, 00 gauge ear piercings, a lip piercing and a septum piercing...and she's a nurse.  She has to cover all that shit up when she goes to work.  Three of her tats are in the collarbone area and when she wears a lower-cut top to work, she has to wear special tattoo cover up makeup. 

You can't rationally argue out something that was not rationally argued in.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
It is unfortunate companies

It is unfortunate companies are allowed to do this. Capitalism is the worst system ever invented.

Zymotic
Superfan
Zymotic's picture
User is offlineOffline
stevedave83 wrote: That's

stevedave83 wrote:

That's an unfortunate truth. My wife has five tattoos, 00 gauge ear piercings, a lip piercing and a septum piercing...and she's a nurse. She has to cover all that shit up when she goes to work. Three of her tats are in the collarbone area and when she wears a lower-cut top to work, she has to wear special tattoo cover up makeup.

How does one hide the fact that they have 1/2 inch holes in their ears?

Also, my hair goes down to my belly button. I have no idea what I'm going to do if I have to cut it for work when I get older. I'd like to end up in a situation where I'm not just another guy in a suit. 

My Brand New Blog - Jesu Ad Nauseum.
God of the Gaps: As knowledge approaches infinity, God approaches zero. It's introductory calculus.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I think the hair think

I think the hair think kinda depends on what kind of job you have and what kind of boss you have. If its any typical teen job they will probably want to you fit the mold.

Telemarketing? well they might want you to fix an image too...

stevedave83
stevedave83's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zymotic wrote:

Zymotic wrote:

How does one hide the fact that they have 1/2 inch holes in their ears?

Well...there's kind of a loophole there. Most places have a rule that you can have a maximun of two earrings in each ear and no earring can exceed the size of a dime. Since her 00 gauge eyelets are about the size of a dime, they technically aren't against the rules. The lip and septum (the 'middle nostril' ) are a little more difficult. Some places are ok with a clear plastic retainer in the lip, at her current job she has to take it out. For the septum, she wears a clear 'pincer' shaped retainer and flips it up inside her nose.

You can't rationally argue out something that was not rationally argued in.

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
Voiderest

Voiderest wrote:
Telemarketing? well they might want you to fix an image too...

Most Telemarketing companies force a look upon the people that work there. They usually have stricter dress codes thanmost places, actually.