The relationship between entheogens and religion.

systemnate
atheist
User is offlineOffline
The relationship between entheogens and religion.

What is everyones opinion of the connection between psychedelic drugs and spirituality / religion?

After reading the Bhagavad Gita and Dhamapada and other texts I came to the conclusion that either some drugs make us more aware of our purpose and place in the world allowing us to perceive things we normally cannot, or these religions were developed directly from drug use. If anything the fact that in the Bhagavad Gita things are said that perfectly describe a mushroom or acid trip says SOMETHING (if only that drugs were possibly the foundation). Anyhow the relationship is interesting if anything. If you haven't read DMT: The Spirit Molecule by Dr. Rick Strassman, or Zig Zag Zen: Buddhism and Psychedelics by Allan Badiner and Alex Grey they are both an interesting read.

Also reading these ancient texts, I found that most of these "trips" were not discussed as drug trips, but as high level meditation.  Since I have never reached such a high level of meditation, I cannot personally say that the awareness gained is roughly equal to a drug trip or not, but that there may be a connection is interesting.

Bottom line: I am wondering what everyones rational response is to this: "Do you think that there is a connection between drugs and the formation of religion or that drugs can lead to a higher perception of the senses?"

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
The drugs came first, so the

The drugs came first, so the obvious answer would be that drugs shaped those religions, if not all. Things like Salvia, the sages plant, have the same chemical in the brain that is released when you die (or before I would suppose) that produce massive trips.

systemnate
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Absolutely.  Dr. Strassman

Absolutely.  Dr. Strassman believes that N,N Dimethyl Tryptamine (DMT) is release at birth, death, near death, and sometimes other occasions.

I wonder if their descriptions (in religious texts) come from meditation, or drugs.  Taking certain drugs (mushrooms for example) may very well "unlock" and open your mind up exactly like meditation.  Two different paths to the same goal (meditation / drugs).  What do you think? 

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I've got to get me some of

I've got to get me some of those types of drugs!

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Out of body experiences can

Out of body experiences can be recreated without drugs.

Thread can be found here.