Christian Constitution?

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christian Constitution?

Ugh, these are disturbing statistics..... Check out this video of the Cafferty files.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2007/09/12/sot.cafferty.file.wednesday.cnn

[MOD EDIT - fixed link]

ctressle
User is offlineOffline
That scares the shit out of

That scares the shit out of me, considering how so many fundamentalists have a hold in office. What makes it worse is that, I'm convinced anyway, we barely have the infrastructure to drastically change all of this before it's too late. Even if rational people begin to get education back on footing again, there's too big of momentum for the fundamentalists.

By the way, the direct link wasn't working; I had to hightlight, copy and paste. Though I had the same trouble a while back, as well... speaking of which, what link I did have to report is also shocking: passed in law, the President has the authority to "coordinate" all three branches of government in times of (vague) crises.

We are fucked. Cheers! 

SassyDevil
SassyDevil's picture
User is offlineOffline
Those statistics are

Those statistics are sickening.  It scares the crap out of me, too.  People don't know their history, and like the one guy who responded in those letters, apparently don't read The Consitution.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
I couldnt get the video to

I couldnt get the video to work.

But in any case. It is bullcrap for fundies to cry that the "minority" is ruling the majority. There are 300,000,000 people in America. ONLY 50 million identify themselves as Evangelicals.

The reality of our voting system is not "majority rule" but who gets the most people to the voting booth. The reality is that we have a minority ruling a majority and that is because their base is much more well funded and organized than their competition.

For fundies who are the minority who are in dominate power to say they are opressed is a load of bullshit. Untill non-fundies of all labels, not just atheists, but all people who dont want to go down the road of theocracy, become as effective as the right wing, they will continue to maintain their power.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

DrTerwilliker
DrTerwilliker's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's so depressing. 

That's so depressing.  It's sickening how many Christians claim to love America, and yet have no idea what values it was actually founded on.  What they are adoring is the United States they made up in their heads. 

I'm absolutely in love with our Constitution.  I think it set up the foundation for a very successful nation, one that truly allows its citizens as much freedom as possible, a nation that adapts and grows as time passes.  Unfortunately, we've managed to fuck that up.  Still, it's a brilliant document, and I wish these assholes would take the time to read it.  That's all you have to do to understand the kind of nation our Founding Fathers intended.  

SassyDevil
SassyDevil's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm pretty sure I saw the

I'm pretty sure I saw the exact same video on YouTube, but here's one that has part of it, for those who might not be able to see the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-1o0u6K4x0

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's it. Let's nuke the

That's it. Let's nuke the U.S. I'll give you guys a week to move to Canada. We'll start with Texas, then spread out until your country cuts it the fuck out.

Good idea?

No?

Fuck. Well I thought it was a good idea.

SassyDevil
SassyDevil's picture
User is offlineOffline
Can we all live with you,

Can we all live with you, Ben? Tongue out

The problem is, if we leave, the other Americans win.  Or not...they aren't going to all produce religious children.  Sometimes, those kids will eventually become atheists.  Do they get kicked out, too?  Shunned?

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
SassyDevil wrote: Can we

SassyDevil wrote:

Can we all live with you, Ben? Tongue out

The problem is, if we leave, the other Americans win. Or not...they aren't going to all produce religious children. Sometimes, those kids will eventually become atheists. Do they get kicked out, too? Shunned?

Sure! I'll let you all live in my basement!

See, under my "plan", they wouldn't reproduce. They'd be charred skeletons living in houses that are completely obliterated by bombs Innocent but you're right. Fight the power, don't run away. Hopefully, the veil of ignorance will be removed soon enough. I'm told, in fact, that many parts of the U.S.A. are liberal enough to the point where people don't even think about abandoning evolution. Those places are called "Blue States" (or so the legend goes). If you guys start establishing some more Blue States, and make sure that Blue States are better to live in, Red States will have to adapt (evolve) or perish (metaphorically, through lower test scores and such).

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
I didnt see any "stats in

I didnt see any "stats in the Yutube Video" and the cnn link did not work for me.

BUT, recently I did see on Fox stats that showed 50 some od percent mid 50s believe the nation was a  "christian nation" and 41 percent did not.

So we can look at that as the glass being half empty or half full. Considering the growing voices of secularism I think the past 30years of fundy politics combind with the Bush incompetance is finally exposing the truth that can no longer be hidden by theocratic propaganda.

I dont think it is that fatalistic. The more we talk about "no religious test", the fact that "so help me god" IS NOT in the constitution, combined with the Barbary Treaty(Treaty of Tripoli) and the criticisms of the founders of pulpit politics, the fundy house of cards will fall.

But, that can only happen by secularists, both theist and atheists raising their voice. Secularism is what keeps religion free. Neutral goverment void of religious favortism allows people to worship or not worship without goverment interferance.

BUT IT TAKES MORE VOICES AND CONSTANT MAINTANANCE. Freedom is not a given. No one should be out to use goverment to opress anyone, majority or minority. But the majority is not intitled to a monopoly of national symbols and public property to promote only their religion.

The First Amendment is an anti-trust law that says on the issues of speech and religion WE WONT PLAY FAVORITES TO YOU, WE WONT COME AFTER YOU, but WE WONT AID YOU EITHER|(ON YOUR OWN TIME WITH YOUR OWN RESORCES)

How any moron can claim that that means we want the forcable end of Christianity is absurd. It is true that most atheists think the world would be better off. But we are not stupid. If we want to convince people they dont need a deity ATHEISTS do not wish to do it by gunpoint.

It horrifies atheists just as much when Muslim zealots force non-Muslims at gunpoint to convert. Westernized atheists are for freedom and the only tactic we use is our voice and reason. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
BenfromCanada

BenfromCanada wrote:

That's it. Let's nuke the U.S.  

I wasn't aware that Canada was part of the "nuclear club".

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher

Watcher wrote:
BenfromCanada wrote:

That's it. Let's nuke the U.S.

I wasn't aware that Canada was part of the "nuclear club".

It isn't....yet.