Class Today

Sleepy Norris
User is offlineOffline
Class Today

I just got back from a class where i outed myself as an atheist. Actually i tend to do this whenver religion is dicussed in any of my classes and considering i am a history major religion is often discussed. I dont know about other athiests but i enjoy speaking up in class, pointing out the flaws in religion, pointing out negitive aspects and essentially the overall ridiculousness of it all. That being said today's was especially interesting. We were discussing Jewish customs and traditions in my "Outcasts in Early Modern Europe" class, and my teacher was comparing them to Christian customs and then we were talking about different Jewish religious holidays and comparing them to Christian Holiday's. Well at some point my teacher had mentioned that "Jesus was born in April", I eventually got into the discussion and brought up her mentioning the month Jesus was born, i asked her "what evidence she had" considering their are no contempory accounts, and another student said the bible based reasoning for it and i asked what real historical evidence does she have that Christ ever lived quickly following it up witih mentioning that the bible was written well after "jesus had supposedly lived" All the Roman influences (which were mentioned by the professor earlier in class) and that the bible was written in Greek not Arariamic which is what "jesus supposedly spoke". This had one girl say "there is no evidence" for god, *in a sense that you should just believe without evidence, to which i said EXACTLY. This of course got a nice little discussion going but i felt very comfortable, i think i only really pissed off four or five people in the class. I like the fact that arguing from the atheist perspective gives me an advantage in any debate because in the course of all human history nobody has ever been able to prove the existance of god. After the dicussion died down for a second the kid directly next to me who i had no idea who he was turned and said "well said" to me. Which of course made me smile. I think that more young atheists especially in the class room should challange their fellow students when they say something that isnt rational. School gives you a nice forum to say what you want, its a place where you are supposed to challange your beliefs and learn new information so when a subject like this comes up. Speak up, make your point. This had to be the 4th or 5th class in the past year that i outed myself as an atheist and i had a great time each time. Its fun to see how many people are with you and its funny to see the christians get all fired up. Remember you always have the intellectual advantage. Take advantage of it.

HAVE THE BALLS TO STAND UP AND SAY I FIND RELIGION TO BE NONSENSE. When religion is mentioned say hey, 911 was religoius.

I dont know what you think of this but hey today was a fun day.

Not_Your_Therapist
atheist
Not_Your_Therapist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am in grad school and

I am in grad school and though my field is OT which is a medical field, religion seems to get mentioned quite a bit. When we run through made up case studies, the clients are always church volunteers or something to that nature. I have mentioned this in another thread but meh, may as well mention it again.

I have a shirt which says, "Have you hugged an atheist today?". I got it over the summer and wore it to class on the first day of the semester. 

I got lots of hugs! A faculty member even hugged me and said, "Me too!" and she told me I was brave to wear it because there are a lot of really religious people in my class... she would know because she does the scheduling for religious observances.

At any rate, I will be glad to mention my atheism if it ever becomes apropriate for me to mention it. I think it is important to speak out, especially because if you speak out, someone else in the room might speak up too who otherwise may have been silent out of fear of a backlash. 

Your resident OTD/S, Christina
A good scientist will always change her mind if new evidence is presented which gives her sufficient reason to change it.
www.ziztur.com

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Great story. It's good to

Great story. It's good to hear people starting to speak out without fear. I remember back in school when any mention of atheism brought immediate scorn and rolling eyes (and worse). I wish there was IG and RRS back then. Would have helped a lot.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Sleepy Norris
User is offlineOffline
I have a shirt that says

I have a shirt that says "Je$us needs your money" i wear it from time to time. However, my lack of belief isnt exactly something that i would want to wear, plus im not all that big on people hugging up on me... i just tend to voice my opinions... and i must admit that sometimes i end up reaching and throwing a needless dig in at religion, but hey it happens. Christians often needlessly bring up peoples faith in a positive manner when it isnt needed.

I didnt realize how poorly written and long winded my previous post was but i was on a high after my class. I mean during the dicussion my professor asked a girl who doesnt know where she stands, (not religious) if she was an atheist, she responded "i wouldnt say that" so i said "i'll say it, I am an atheist, i find religion ridiculous". At another point we were talking about minorities and discrimination and she said something about how christians prostylize and she said "i guess it failed with you" and i said "failed horribly" and then i said "atheists are the most discriminated against minority in this country", which got a little chuckle from the professor saying "he's cute". (she jokes around with her students, and i could tell she enjoyed that i actually know what i am talking about) Personally i found that 90% of my college professors give positive reactions to my "attacks" on Christianity. 

I always try to be nice and personable in class but when it comes to religion i take a proactive stance. 

Sleepy Norris
User is offlineOffline
Well i am sure that in many

Well i am sure that in many parts of this country it is still like that, but all i know is that in my university i feel comfortable enough to say stuff. Honestly, i cant wait until christians give me a hard time for my opinions on religion so i can use the great Bill Hicks line- "you're a christian, so forgive me" (hillarious)

BTW i am in the Northeast, actually with the way the Rational Response Squad is growing i am the "center of atheism in america" Philadelphia PA. (well its immediate suburbs). I go to the same school that Stak's who has his own forum on this board went too. I would love to know what kind of reactions i would get if i were in another area of this country but i am glad to say in this part of america... I can be safe running my mouth... comparing God to Santa Clause