A defence of the immaterial mind.

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
A defence of the immaterial mind.

Before I started I thought I should make some points:
1) I know that there have been a several topics of this topic in the forum that I could have put this in but I thought that this one was significantly different enough to warrant its own thread.
2) You'll notice that I am using the word 'immaterial' in a different way to traditional philosophy. I have two reasons for this, that I think it is closer to how we use it in everyday circumstances and that the philosophical version was a perversion of this by trying to squeeze it into our 'world description' frame of language.
The other version is that the philosophical version (as Todangst shows in the topic I link to) is incoherent so this version is the only way the word can have a significant meaning.

This is specifically aimed at Todangst and DeludedGod who have written various essays on this subject, but all views will be welcome.
Todangst has written an essay claiming that immaterial is a broken concept while Deluded God has done a series of essays that deal with the subject.
As I understand it, they both subscribe to physical reductionism, which in contemporary philosophy is the most metaphysically correct position, but one that is at odds with many (if not all!) of our intuitive concepts of the mind.
My aim is to give a conception of the mind that is coherent, respects both materialistic metaphysics and the results of neuroscience and also retains (and vindicates) the common intuitive conceptions of the mind.
(That's right Chris, that fucking nobel prize will be mine for sure! Eye-wink)

This essay will be done in three steps:
1) Define the immaterial mind in a way that is coherent and respects materialist metaphysics.
2) Show that such a conception is compatible with neuroscience and how that traditional 'interactionism' problem is not an issue for this one.
3) Explore how this immaterial mind favours our intuitive conceptions of mind.

Defining the immaterial Mind
Todangsts essay argues that nothing immaterial can exist.
I agree with the essay so have decided to go with denying the 'existence' of the immaterial mind - I've decided that the question of "does the mind exist?" is a bit like "what is the weight of yellow?" is a category error.
So if the mind isn't a 'thing' that 'exists' then what exactly is it?

We use language for a variety of things.
We can greet people, give orders, ask questions, describe the world, etc.
Describing the world is the language we use for science and it is this mode of language that metaphysics is also based on. Everything that we describe is matter and/or motion - material.
Immaterial means not material.
As Todangst has argued, 'immaterial things' are not even defined within the discourse of description, so if I am going to be putting forward a concept that isn't material then it will have to be of a different discourse other than describing and our mental concepts will need a different purpose rather than to describe the world that we live in.

Although we do sometimes use mental concepts to try and describe 'how we are' to another person, this doesn't mean that they descriptions in the same sense as the ones of physical object. E.g. I can describe a table in terms of objective properties like height and colour but with an experience I have to try and work out where my friend might've experienced something similar.
Why do we make such descriptions of our mind to friends?
A common purpose is to explain our actions or to discuss future or hypothetical actions. So we could say that the concepts of mind serve a social purpose, to regulate and make sense of our behaviour.
We use it to explain our actions to other people.
So mental concepts can have a coherent use without being 'things' that exist in the descriptive sense. This allows them to be 'immaterial'.
(I believe that mathematics are also 'immaterial')

One might try and give them a material existence the following way:
Premise 1) Mental concepts are applied in a material setting.
Premise 2) This means that they exist as concepts applied in a material setting.
Conclusion) Mental concepts have a material existence.

However, I disagree with premise 2 as it appears to misuse the word 'existence'. If mental concepts like beliefs and desires exist like that, then so do non-existent objects like unicorns exist as concepts we apply. Actually existing things like tables have multiple existences - existence as the table and existence as the concept of the table... Jesus would have over a billion existences.
'Existence' as used in premise 2 leads to such absurdities that this argument to call 'mind' (or maths) material fails.

So to summarise this first section:
1) I agreed that everything that exists is material and that if something was 'immaterial' then it would have to be a concept from a different use of language rather than to refer to a 'thing' that exists.
2) I gave an alternative use of language to world description, i.e. regulating and making sense of our actions, that would allow mental concepts to be coherent in a 'not material' way. i.e. immaterial.
3) I suggested a possible argument that would claim that such concepts were still material, but I countered that such an argument depended on a misuse of what it was for something to be 'material'.

That leaves me with a coherent immaterial conception of mind that allows materialist metaphysics to be correct. The next question is, does this conception of mind survive the interactionist problem and even if it does, does it cohere with the results of neuro-science?

The immaterial mind meets the brain
The traditional downfall of the immaterial mind is when it comes to interaction with the body. We believe that light stimulating the eyes causes us to experience colours and that the decisions we make cause our actions, but causation as traditionally defined is a relation between two physical concepts. Even emergentists with their physicalist ontology have had difficulties in linking their mental properties with physical ones in a causal chain. If we are going to have the kind of causation as described in the examples above between a material body and non-material mind then we are going to have to take a fresh look at the concept of causation.

The skeleton structure of the concept causation is the counterfactual:
If A hadn't have happened then B wouldn't have happened
How can we know that if A hadn't have happened then B wouldn't have happened?
In physics it is quite easy as we can see situations where the laws of physics would lead from event A to B.
E.g. If I hadn't let go of the coin then it wouldn't have dropped, as the force of gravity on the coin was only countered by the force of my grip on it.
So how can we get a line of causation from my decision to let the coin drop (a mental concept) to the coin's dropping?

Remember I claimed that mental concepts, rather than refer to 'things', were concepts we employed in our human practice of regulating and making sense of our actions. As with all linguistic concepts there are correct ways and incorrect ways to apply them.
Take the greeting 'hello'. The word 'hello' doesn't refer to anything - it has a different linguistic purpose rather than refer to 'things' but there are still correct applications and incorrect applications that we can link with physical situations.
For example, the physical scene of two people meeting is the correct time for them to use the word 'hello' while use of it while parting would be a mis-use.
So although the word 'hello' doesn't refer to anything physical, there is still a connection between the word and the physical situations where it is correct to apply it. This link between the immaterial concept and the physical situation where one should apply it is the meeting point between immaterial mentality and physical actions.

Take the mental concept; Jim deliberately dropped the ball - this concept is a mental concept as it talks of intentions but it is clear that there are limited situations where it would be applicable. A biological machine would have to make the movements whereby a ball is released from it's grasp.
The mental concept involving Jim's intention is to be applied in scene that could be described purely physically, with no intentions or emotions in it. So here we have the supervenience between a mental concept and a physical event. From here we can use the counterfactual version of causation to show a causal relation between the immaterial mental concept of intention and the physical event of the ball dropping to the floor.

We start with the following premises:
Premise 1) Making a decision to 'drop the ball' causes the action 'drop the ball'.
(based on our everyday use of the concept "to make a decision to act")
Premise 2) If we apply a concept of "dropping a ball" then a physical event has occured that involves a biological machine moving in a way that a ball falls from its grasp.
(based on our everyday use of the concept of "dropping the ball")
Premise 3) A biological machine moving in a way that allows a ball to fall from its grasp will cause the ball to drop to the ground.
(based on the laws of physics)

Now for the following steps:
Step 1) If the biological machine hadn't released the ball then it wouldn't have dropped.
(follows from Premise 3 and definition of counterfactual causation)
Step 2) If the concept of "dropping the ball" is applicable if and only if the biological machine releases the ball.
(follows from Premise 2 and definition of counterfactual causation)
Step 3) If the concept of "dropping the ball" hadn't been applicable then the ball wouldn't have dropped.
(follows from steps 1 and 2)
Step 4) If "the decision to drop the ball" hadn't been applicable then neither would the dropping of the ball.
(follows from Premise 1 and definition of counterfactual causation)
Step 5) If "the decision to drop the ball" hadn't been applicable then the ball wouldn't have dropped to the ground.
(follows from steps 4 and 5)

Conclusion) "the decision to drop the ball" causes the ball to be dropped to the ground.
(follows from Step 5 and definition of counterfactual causation)

The argument might not be absolutely logically perfect in the details, but you can see how there can be a 'causal' connection between an immaterial concept and a physical event, thanks to the link of the rule of correct application.
This means that this version the immaterial mind respects materialist metaphysics and the closure principle (that every physical event has a physical cause) without losing its potential for causal relations between itself and the physical body.
The question I must now answer is whether this causal connection fits well with the results of modern neuro-science.

Does this conception of the mind fit in with modern neuro-science
I'm going to admit straight up that I'm not really familiar with the results of modern neuro-science. Instead, my argument is going to be based on what I believe the methodology of neuro-scientific experiments, and try to argue that the very nature of those experiments allows for the mind to be immaterial in the way that I've described. I still start by stating what I understand to be the procedure for empirically verifying connections between the neurological structure of the brain and states of the mind. (Hopefully DeludedGod will be able to confirm or refute my argument.)

Presumably the neuro-scientist will scan the brain somehow to determine what it's physical state is, and find relations between the physical state of the brain and the 'state of mind' that the person is in. They will find the state of the brain using the scanning methods and then see which states of mind it relates to.
But how do they decide which states of mind it applies to?
How do they know that the 'state of mind' that relates to this part of the brain is what they say it is? Presumably, they apply mental concepts as we usually do and are thereby relating the 'state of the brain' with the 'appropiate use of the concept'. So whatever results neuro-science finds, it will be compatable with this 'immaterial mind' as the link between the brain and the mental concept can be explained this way.

To summarise:
1) I explained how an 'immaterial mind' could have a 'causal' connection with physical events, by using the skeletal form of the counter-factual cause and using the "situation of appropiate use" link between certain mental concepts and the physical events the supervene over.
2) I showed that the method of neuro-science ensured that my 'immaterial' theory is compatible with any results it could give. My theory would merely give a different interpretation of those results. Rather than claim that those states of brain are the mental states there's the more intuitive claim that they are just the state of the brain when we apply mental concepts - there would be the same practical purposes.
How this 'immaterial' mind favours lots of intuitive ideas about it.
It's commonly agreed that Descarte's view of the mind was very intuitive, and that it's a shame that he couldn't metaphysically explain such an intuitive picture. The concepts of the mind just didn't seem to behave the same way as spacial ones. If physical reduction has all the metaphysics going for it - the only reason for someone to reject it is if they thought it mis-represented the mind in some way.

Other than pure intuition, this view of the mind does seem to agree with how we generally use mental concepts in real life. We usually explain our actions in a social context and depend on our understanding of other people's beliefs for a sense of security around them, that we can predict and handle how they are going to behave.
It also seems to be the most natural explanation of mental content, especially with Putnam's arguments for 'externalism'.

My main motivation, however, is how it fits our decision making - it allows for libertarian free will. Determinists have traditionally argued that events are either caused or random, and this is true for physical objects because the causal explanation is how we order them and without one they appear to be random. I showed that physical actions can have a causal line from our 'making the decision' to the action itself.
However, the mental concepts that characterise how we make decisions, e.g. desires and beliefs, do not have to have a causal structure. This allows for a spontenaity that allows for a libertarian free will.

This doesn't contradict that the physical world is determined, and in that sense our actions are all determined by the laws of physics. But when we give an explanation that involves 'will' and 'decision making', we aren't giving a physical explanation so different rules apply. This is very similar to Kant's argument for free will, that although the deterministic empirical explanation of the world was deterministic, as not all explanations are based in empiricism then explanations of the mind need not be determined in the same way. His arguments against Hume's compatibilism would support my position too.

This was a relatively rough sketch of a new idea, and it crammed several major topics (ontology, causation, practical use, scientific method etc) into one so it's bound to be very simplified and not account for everything. But I hope that where holes will be found that they will be minor details rather than the core ideas surrounding the theory.

Socrastein
Socrastein's picture
User is offlineOffline
Todangst I took your

Todangst

I took your challenge. Please show where I was wrong. I took the time to write out a couple paragraphs on what I think you're arguing. I'm not going to just copy and paste what you say when you ask me what you're arguing. Any monkey can do that. I tried to phrase your position in my own language, to show that I understood it.

Now, if I was wrong, tell me what I misrepresented. If you can't be bothered to go through the trouble of doing that, why challenge me in the first place? Did you just assume I wouldn't be willing to do it?  

In your last post, you acted as if it would be a horror for me to come to terms with qualia being discounted.

No, I didn't. I specifically said I was reluctant to bring it up, and I only did it out of curiousity as to how it would be addressed. I actually already discount qualia. I just want to see how you or DG do so. DG so far only told me how light was processed by the brain. He made no reference to qualia whatsoever. Interesting, yes. But irrelevent as usual.  

And I didn't miss anything. I said that common usage of a word defines a word. You quoted me saying:

the way mental concepts and the way the word existence is commonly used does allow for immaterial things.

I already explained how your definition of existence and immaterial is pretty loaded. So did Strafio. We've both done it more than once, and he's done it more times than I can count.

The point I was making was, just because you use the words a certain way doesn't mean that anyone who uses them a different way (and nearly everyone else does) is a moron.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Qualia is a worthless term.

Qualia is a worthless term. If you wish for an explanation of how neuroscientists view consciousness and functionalism, then you can read my essay on the matter. I believe I already presented it. It discusses the topics put forth.

And btw, my post was not irrelevant. You were the one who made the homunculus argument and asked how our minds percieve "redness". You were the one who asked.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Socrastein
Socrastein's picture
User is offlineOffline
Deludedgod Actually, I

Deludedgod

Actually, I didn't ask how our minds percieve "redness". I asked what the ontology of sensation was. I asked where my qualia exists. You responded with an explanation of how my brain processes light waves. 

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to read your long-ass essays every time I ask you a question. If you can't sum it up in a couple paragraphs, I'd question your grasp on the subject and your ability to communicate it effectively. 

It's about as useful as having a debate with someone who doesn't make arguments, they simply refer you to a different book for every point they want to make.  

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: It's about as

Quote:

It's about as useful as having a debate with someone who doesn't make arguments, they simply refer you to a different book for every point they want to make. 

Why should I have to repeat what I have already taken the time to write? This topic is complex. It requires a lot of explaining. If you dislike this, then get out. It's no loss.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Socrastein
Socrastein's picture
User is offlineOffline
All I'm saying is that if

All I'm saying is that if your purpose in a debate is to help your interlocutor(s) to understand you and to convince them of your arguments, it's not very practical to drown them in pages and pages and pages of arguments you wrote a long time ago.

I've debated whether or not truth exists in a deterministic universe before, for example. A few times. Never, however, have I linked someone to previous arguments I've made and simply told them to go back and read everything I've already written on the subject.

It's just not practical, and it's not an effective way to convince someone.

If your purpose in this debate however isn't to effectively communicate your ideas, and you can't be bothered to efficiently argue your points, then get out. It's no loss Eye-wink  

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fine.

Fine.

Functionalism is the dominant arm of philosophy of mind, essentially the argument that the conscious mind is a process generated by the brain. This does not mean that consciousness per se is physical. But it does not mean it is immaterial. What it means is that it is emergent. (I already made a post on emergentism). You will note that this is aimed at refuting dualism (which most philosophers do not bother with but all the major religiosn do), so it may contain some parts irrelevant to you, but it does raise important points and ideas about the nature of the mind and the process of consciousness.

We can demonstrate this by proving that the conscious mind cannot be a seperate agent from the reality it inhabits. The relevant parts to this are what I wrote here:

The science of consciousness is all about unity of the lobes of the brain, and can be demonstrated likewise: I am referring to what modern neuroscientists called apraxia, a situation which results in a longitudinal divide along the corpus callosum in epilepsy patients, which causes the dominant hand of the patient to undergo involuntary movement and uncontrollable motor functions. The hand might undo buttons, light cigarettes, even strike objects without the users control. However, combined magnetoencephelogram scanning and neurophenomenology conducted after Penfield died in 1976 have revealed that this very rare form of epillepsy apraxia is caused by the damage caused to the medial lobes by the incision along the major axis of the brain. There are different brain functions associated with voluntary movement, the cerebellum for proprioception, the grid neuron array for mechanoperception, Acetylocholin-based Somatic and visceral motor neurons which run up the body's planar axis through the center of the spinal cord and into the Sensory Somatic Cortex. The incision along the brain's long axis severs the connection between the lobes controlling movement, with the result that different areas of the brain may at different times be able to command the hand in different ways, but since they are not connected, conscious control over it is lost. Actually, apraxia is often used to make the neurophysiological distinction between intention of execution otherwise known as Executive function (Anterior Cingulate Cortex), and actual execution. In other words, we can show that the self loses control of the hand due to apraxia due to a division along the major long axis of the brain, and although the kinesthetic sensation is there, the sensation of conscious control over the hand is not. For this reason, most neurophysiologists consider that at the supramolecular level, there is an electrophysiological event which translates intent into action. The general area which does this has been pinpointed by fMRI as the medial fronal lobe. Recently, neuroimaging has revealed the area of the brain responsible for decisional inhibition to be in the parietaloccipatal system. The damage or destruction of this system results in the loss of executive functional inhibition, with the result that the subject may lose conscious control over many physiological functions. But since the area of the brain responsible for action is located on the other lobe of the brain, the result of an incision along the corpus callosum will be in rare cases the loss of ability for interagency neurological control over such functions, with apraxia, with the result that a conscious self loses control for periods of time over the limb in question unless treated. The very fact that it can be treated in a neurological fashion hence indicates that you are dead wrong. Since the brain is a contralateral control system, which means that damage to the posterior medial lobe results in involuntary movement in the opposite function, the same for the parietal-occipatal system, since the corpus callosum is the link between these two areas and the subcortical synaptogenesis which develops when basic motor skills do, the exertation of control over the movement is partitioned into four areas. In other words, we are seeing exactly what we expect to see with an epillepsy patient experiencing apraxia under IET stimulation.

at most people do not realize is that dualism has been debunked.

There is another, more brutal way to illustrate the physicality of the mind, much more clear than the cutting of the corpus callosum or disassociative identity disorder. It comes in the form of a brutal and most terrible genetic disease called Lesch-Nyhan’s syndrome. It is extremely rare, occurring only in boys and is an in utero mutation on the X chromosome, inherited from the boy’s mother. It has two distinct effects. The first is a stop-codon in the enzyme HPRT making it useless, this enzyme metabolizes uric acid, and the lack of it causes extremely high buildups of uric acid in the bloodstream. But the truly sadistic nature of the disease comes to light in the second distinct effect.

Most people do not realize it, because the situation rarely demands it, but there is no one “Other” that it present in the human brain. Rather, there are two. The human brain is triple-tiered, the bottom contains the primitive brain, then the brain stem and midbrain, and finally, the part where the thinking, conscious being is, the neocortex, the last tier. In situations of dire fight-or-flight, trauma, shock, or anything of the like, the primitive and primal lower tiers take command, controlling adrenaline flow and autonomic functions and instinctual basics, such as sexual urge. This is truly where man’s baser nature is, an ancient evolutionary structure, hopelessly unsophisticated compared with the deep intricacies of the neural networks of the neocortex, whose twisting patters of neural networks and glial cells produces all of man’s genius and creativity and thirst for knowledge.

Anyway, Lesch-Nyhan causes a mutation in the primitive second-tier of the brain, at the brain-stem, where locomotive signals are fired. There are two distinct effects of signal-crossing in the midbrain. The first is that a Lesch-Nyhan child is spastic and assumes an odd “fencer” position, as appearing with one leg diagonally bent and the opposite arm crooked backwards. The second effect is that the midbrain is deranged and the insane signal-firing causes it to “cross” signals with the neocortex. The effects are ghastly. In a fight between the primitive brain and the conscious neocortex, the primitive brain always wins, it has simply been there for a longer course of evolutionary history, it is more ingrained, it overrides the higher functions. Hence, the deranged vertical dividing of the Lesch-Nyhan brain causes the sufferer, during bouts or “attacks” when the signal firing goes berserk, to attack the people around him (always him, girls, having two X chromosomes, cannot get Lesch-Nyhan), and causes intense writhing and seizure-like convulsions. The most brutal effect of this is autocannibalism, the thrashing of the facial muscles causes the boy to eat away their own face, they will often rip out their own palate with their teeth and most of their lip flesh as well. For their own protection, they often have their teeth extracted. It is truly a ghastly disease. For their own safety, they have to be tied down with restraints, otherwise they will viciously attack themselves with their hands. Self-enucleation, removing one’s own eyes, is rare, but it happens. A boy with Lesch-Nyhan’s will not survive much past adolescence. Either from kidney failure or self-injury, most do not see their 20th birthday.

As a genetic disease, Lesch-Nyhan’s is part of my research into vector-based gene therapy. It doesn’t have much money in it, being that it only occurs in one out of every 950,000 births, but I do hope that the research done will alleviate this monstrosity of a disease. However, for the case at hand, it helps, albeit very brutally, to illustrate that the mind can indeed by divided, and that we can point to the neocortex and say, this is where the conscious, thinking “you” resides.

Secondly, whatever the “I” is, I can say with confidence what it is not-magic. This is, after all, in essence what the vitalists are appealing to, the belief that “I” is intangible, and hence cannot be the domain of the material. What is the thing that feels pain when jabbed with a needle? It is most certainly not a obfuscated vital force...you’re acknowledging that every time you have surgery! Furthermore, it may be best to flip vitalist objections on their head to reveal the absurdity of their beliefs. So, the soul is a mysterious, timeless, acausal, non-spatial essence? I would normally say that is a meaningless statement, but that is for another time. For now, I will simply say: How is it even remotely possible that this immaterial is the domain of the “I”? When your eyes are receiving photon packets and converting them into electrical signals to be transmitted across the optic nerve, how is it possible that this data, which is then reassembled into an image by a brain for review by the visual association cortex and sensory somatic cortex (obviously this is an extreme oversimplification, but were I to talk in depth about picture reassembly, you would all be bored to tears, so I shall press on). How is it possible that this distinctly tangible packet of data, physical ,spatial and causal, interact with this mysterious immateriality that is none of these things and that does not even reside in the brain (obviously it doesn’t. Terms like “reside” and “inside” are incoherent when referring to the immaterial). How can this mysterious ether interact with the neuroelectrochemistry. This seems like a reasonable objection, that being: How can this mysterious intangible possibly be a solution to any of the problems of consciousness? It seems like it multiplies the absurdity of the problem by several orders of magnitude. How can it interact with any of the physical functions of the brain at all? If it is atemporal, how does it form temporal and causal thoughts, or process temporal sensory uptakes? If it is non-spatial, how does it analyze spatial data, or interact with spatial chemicals that make up emotional response? What does it do that the material brain cannot handle? And how is it a more cogent solution to these problems than materialism? As I said before, seems it creates a gamut of extra, absurd problems. Human thought does not reside in a magical land that exists outside of space and time. By sitting at the computer screen and reading these perfectly tangible, spatial and coherent words while my prefrontal cortex and visual association cortex are buzzing and ferrying memories to and fro, I am acknowledging this.

The dualist assertion, as supported by the religious dogma it complements, is that the soul is the domain of all things mental, that mental states are a seperate reality from the glands and gristle of the brain (but then...what does the brain do? Surely then it would be vestigial, which is absurd). However, neuroscientists have been shooting those off like flies on a windshield. Even the most ardent or ignorant dualist will be forced to admit that there is physical and causal grounding for mental states. We now have convincing neurological explanations for emotion, reason, cognition, pain, perception etc, and those phenomenon which we cannot (as of yet) explain, we can at least to deduce the physical nature of such phenomenon (consciousness, self-awareness and thoughts). The deductions of physicality are obvious, you tweak a physical thing in the brain, and you get a corresponding change in mental state. An electrode at X produces a physiological effect at Y and a corresponding mental state, chemical X in neuron group Y produces mental state Z and so on. We have a slew of cerebrovascular, genetic, neurodevelopmental, congenital neurophysiological, neurotoxic and neurobiological diseases to attest. Depression (serotonin VGIC channel malfunction and limbic-cortic dysregulation), which causes, well, depression. Alzheimers (amyeloid fatty plaque accumulation), which causes dementia, senile dementia, which does the same, Wilson’s disease (accumulation of copper in the brain causing dementia and Kayser-Fleischer rings), OCD (subcortical circuitry malfunction) causing obsessive-compulsive behaivor, Lesch-Nyhan’s (autocannibalism and insanity, caused by a missing copy of the functioning hypoxanthanine-guanine ribulotransferanse), autism (miswiring of mirror neurons) causing, in extreme cases, total antisocial behaivor, inability to speak, general inability to interact with others, eating disorders are caused by frontotemporal synaptogenesis malfunction, hallucination by cytokine storms in the retinogeniculocalcarine tract, the list goes on and on.

So, in the face of 200 crushing years of neurological evidence, many turn to the icky and hopelessly unscientific notion of “free will”. This is appealling because the brain is a physical machine and hence causal, but “free will” as the name denotes, is indeterminate. Many neuroscientists hence reject the notion of “free will”. I am not here to argue for or against such a notion, except to say this:

The question of free will is merely the other side of the coin of consciousness, the existence of a being which is aware of its existence (subject/object) in relation to the world, and has a concept of “I” and hence is able to make decisions about the the world pertaining to the accomplishment of some goal. Neurologists call this executive function. There is a part of the brain responsible, the anterior cingulate cortex (ACC), although we are not absolutely sure of the precise mechanism involved. Regardless, we can be quite sure of the organic biophysical nature of the decision making process. As I explained before, this is merely the other side of consciousness, which through a series of very easy deductions, we can, as I have shown, prove to have organo-physical grounding. The “free will” and control you excercise over your actions can be altered, controlled, lost, and switched on and off by physical actions in the brain, as evidenced by the poor Lesch-Nyhan sufferer.

But the term “free will” implies your ability to make decisions is...free. It is surely not. There are a host of factors, both acknowledged and programmed, which influence decision making. It is a highly causal and determinate process, depending on the tempermant of the subject in question (which is partially genetic and partially environmental), the electrical signals which knit together to form your cohesive worldview, this is the science of perception, which I shall cover now, memory, the pattern-recognition engines of the brain, the precise neuroelectrochemical concentration at time of the decision being made, and so on. There is no such thing as “free will”, because the processes by which decisions are made are as causal and hence physical as any biological process we care to name. The dichotomy we must entertain is this: Is there a “you” commanding and controlling your thoughts, or are “you” the sum total of your thoughts? Most of neuroscience, as do I, lean towards the latter. There is no mental control room, and it is most certainly not external of the brain. You cannot control your thoughts. Try it. You are your thoughts, and these thoughts are caused by....a guess, anyone? I would suspect, along with the bulk of evolutionary cognitive neuroscientists, that the subject/object self-perception of higher organisms which generates the illusion of “free will” is a by product of the evolutionary expansion of the neocortex along the Pan/Homo genus. After all, humans are not the only animals to possess this capability, although ours is certainly most fine-tuned. At present, great apes, chimps, macques and dolphins are also among this small set of organisms which acknowledge their existence as a defined being from the world they inhabit, and hence they do not behave like mere automata, as Descartes would have us believe.

In preperation for the next section of discussion, we must turn the science of perception. In scientific terms, this is the mechanism by which the electrical signals from the external and internal world are arrayed and read to assemble a picture of reality for the brain to interpret. That’s what the brain does, it runs a first-class simulation of reality.

This simulation is based on thousands and thousands of data hard points inside and outside the body. First, there are the five exoperceptive senses, which we all know, sight, smell, taste, touch, and hearing, which depend, respectively, on the eyes and optic, trochlear, abducent and oculomotor nerves, the olfactory and glassopharyngeal nerves, the tongue and hypoglossal nerve, the thousands of recepter neurons across the body and the auditory and vestibulocochlear nerves.

Then, there are the lesser known, but equally important introperceptive senses, which regulate balance and spatiotemporal relative position and geometric orientation in the world (inner ear and cochlear tubes) called proprioception, the tracking of movement and muscle memory called mechanoperception (this one is quite remarkable, it is controlled by grid neurons which array a lattice-like projection of external reality, dividing it into grid squares, such that grid neurons corresponding to said squares fire when movement is detected in said squares. Obviously, your brain does not project this onto your vision, as that would be extremely annoying. As a matter of fact, your brain, while efficiently organizing reality, tweaks a lot of things so as not to appear unsettling. For example, the eyes never stop moving, they, even when fixed on a point, are making a jerky motion called sacchares. However, this is extremely unsettling in appearance so the brain eliminates it from the visual projection. It can be detected only by watching someone else’s eyes in the mirror.

There are many introperceptive senses, but they keep inventing new ones as they are discovered, so I shall not mention them all here. The point is that the simulation which the brain runs based on this data is the fundamental requisite of existence for a conscious mind. The mind cannot exist without it. For some hitherto unexplained reason, perhaps psuedo-therepautical, the wealthy sometimes pay to be placed for short periods of time in a total sensory deprivation tank. This is dangerous. Overexposure to total sensory deprivation will cause insanity then death. The sensory processing units of the brain will begin to unravel, as experiments have shown. Imagine a person born more unfortunate than Helen Keller. Not only are they congenitally blind and deaf, but they have CIPA (Congenital insensity to pain with anhidrosis) and ageusia. If I presented this case to a neuroscientist, they would say the baby would die soon after exiting the womb, assuming it has not been born stillborn. The mind cannot exist without the senses.

In addition to the senses and the genetic factors of temperament and chemical concentration across the VGIC arrays, the mind cannot exist without the brain’s pattern recognition engines, without which we would be somewhat like Dory the fish in Finding Nemo, except that in addition to constantly forgetting our own name, we would be unable to walk, talk, or think at all.

Born without a brain

Of the most ludicrous attempts to prove the existence of the “soul”, surely, the so-called “born without a brain” is one of them.

Of course, it is possible to be born without a brain. The precursor to the neural clusters of the brain are called neural tubes, which open and develop around 25 weeks into embryonic development, and partition along the brain’s major longitudinal axis into the four major partitions (prosencephalon, mesencephalon, rhombencephalon and the cerebrospinal fluid duct. The first three then split again into the brain’s sub-partitioning, the prosencephalon develops along the optic ducts and into the precursor of the cerebrum, which contains all of the higer-level functions and partitions (temporal lobe, occipatal lobe, prefrontal cortex and parietal lobe), and the rest develops into the sub-structures of the primary and secondary tiers of the brain, the midbrain, the fluid ducts that run between the lobes, the pons medullas and hypothalamus, the cerebellum and the brain stem.

To be born without a brain is a classed neural tube defect, which occurs around 26 weeks of human embryonic development, with the failed closure of the neural tubes. The most serious of these is called anencephaly. An anencephalactic baby has no isocortex or cerebral hemisphere, in short, they are missing 85% of their brain, the part necessary for higher-level brain function.

Very few anencephelactic babies are born, since it can be detected in utero, and nearly all mothers who learn of the baby’s condition choose to abort it, many of those who are born are stillborn. A very tiny portion remain alive. It is possible to be alive in an anencephelactic state since the brain stem is present, and hence the cardioregulatory center, so the heart will beat. Eventually, however, with no brain, the body will die very quickly (Morpheus, in the Matrix, my favorite film, was correct when he said “the body cannot live without the mind”) the record, I believe, for an anencephelatic baby is one week outside of the womb.

Unsurprisingly, an anencephaltic baby is in a permanent vegetative state, unable to feel pain, unconscious, blind, deaf and dumb. In short, there is no higher level function to speak of. No consciousness develops, no mind etc. They just...exist, although there is no “I” to speak of in an anencephelactic baby.

Anencephaly is not to be confused with a much, much rarer condition called Acephaly, which is the absence of the entire head of a parasitic twin fetus, which appallingly, can survive for a few hours by leeching blood from the heart of its twin.

So, having read the two sections above regarding free will and NTDs, we reach an incredibly obvious conclusion. The conscious mind is not a separate agent from the reality it inhabits (recall especially the section on sensory deprivation and its resulting effect). The ancient Egyptians actually believed the brain to be vestigial. Such ignorance!

Also, conscious awareness, creativity, intelligence, etc. These are functions which develop via the interactive existence of the brain and the world. It is absurd to say that they are somehow separate or come “pre-packaged” in this nonsensical and ridiculous “ether” which is somehow “injected” into the zygote or foetus (whichever, apparently, depends on whether you are Catholic or Protestant. I am trying very hard not to laugh as I write this). They depend on and build from the subject/object nature of human existence, which is why, as I have previously explained, they cannot exist in a baby born with no sensory functions (which would die soon after assuming it survived in utero). It makes no sense to pin these functions on the existence of this magical nonsense being that they are no more separate functions from the physical brain than the liver is separate from the rest of the body, as 200 years of neuroscience confirms.

-Me

Books about atheism

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
On another note, I just

On another note, I just want to point out that this argument could literally go on for decades but never get anywhere. Watch:

Me: The mind is physical, or rather, a process which is the emergent result of physicality

S: But for you to say that would requisite that you define “mind” in a neuroscientific contex. When we define “mind” in a normal everyday context, it does not refer to such a thing.

Me: But this begs the question of what “mind” in an everyday context refers to, if it refers to anything at all. In neuroscience, a mind is merely defined by the functions it exudes: Reason, perception, emotion, unless you can show me otherwise, there is no reason to suppose this is any different from the way we view the “mind” in a normal everyday context.

S: But to say that “the mind exists” is a category error. The mind is a concept.

Me: Au contraire, I would say that it is  a priori true that the mind exists.

S: But then you are required to define mind in the neuroscientific context.

Me: And, do tell, what other contexts may we use the term “mind” in a literal sense?

S: Everyday usage?

Me: And what do we mean when we say mind in everyday usage, and how is it different from neuroscience?

Me: Furthermore, your infatuation with “everyday use” is absurd. In “everyday use” we say that the sun rises. So when I point out that this is inaccurate hence the phrase “sun rises” is merely metaphorical, would you defend the notion of the “sun rising” based on our intuitive grasp of reality? Of course not. Science has shown that the sun does not rise.

S: Ah! But now you are defining sun in a scientific context and using the language game of science. Perhaps our naive pre-heliocentricity concept of stellar/planetary motion is adequate to describe the sun. Furthermore, you are assuming that scientists mean the same thing as in everyday usage when they mean “the sun”.

Me: This is an absurd denying the correlative fallacy. You know that we all mean exactly the same thing when discussing the sun: It is the yellow dwarf star 8lm from Earth which supplies nourishment to the planet.

S (on different tangent): Decisions are not causal and do not exist in the brain

Me: That is nonsense (Posts lengthy scientific  explanation regarding apraxia, Lesch-Nyhans, ACC etc)

S: That is all very well and good but you are still employing the language of science.

Me: So? How does this explain anything different from what we may call decisions in everyday usage? This is merely a technical explanation for said concepts.You are still making a denying the correlative fallacy. You are introducing nonexistent options into the fray. If decisions are not causal, why do they occur? If decisions have no material basis, how do they occur?

S: But now you are putting “decisions” into the category of “things that exist”

Me: Are you denying the existence of decisions?

S: I am saying that they are two different categories of language

Me: So...you are denying the existence of decisions

S: I am saying that however you define “decision” in neuroscience and explain in terms of physicality may not equivocate what we mean when we say decision in everyday use.

Me: That is ridiculous. Words are not to be fucked with to this degree. If I decide that the string of letters fahifhsauh should equal hello, it will not suddenly become so. Likewise, decision has a very specific meaning. A decision is a choice to execute an action based on intent. This is exactly how we define it in neuroscience and everyday life.

Furthermore, if this was not how we defined it in everyday life, it would beg the question of what we were defining it in everyday life

This argument we are having is both worthless and pretentious. Nothing is being argued. Rather, every time a point is made which links to concepts together, you unreasonably dance around them by insisting that the scientific context in which we reference this linkage may be different from our everyday usage. My first point is: So fucking what? My second point is that this is a denying the correlative fallacy since it would beg the question of the alternative we are supposedly introducing. This is precisely why your attempt to respond to my point about Relativistic Kinematcs is so absurd. Firstly, it introduces a false alternative (our naive prerelativity concept of time may have truth value for explaining the mind), which is a non sequiter. Every time I post neuroscientific evidence which links mental functions to physical ones, you assert the same thing, without realizing that we do indeed work with the same definitions! You are just being dishonest. Furthermore, you make further fallacies of denying the correlative which are no less dishonest than your last! It is precisely akin to defending egocentricity on grounds that some common phrases imply support of it. The fallacy occurs because you give no alternative, only absurdities. The idea that mental events may occur in a sort of pre-relativistic time is utter absurdity. Why? Because there is no such thing as prerelativitistic time!

Surely, you must acknowledge that the mind must depend on the brain. If I pulled out a gun and fired a bullet through both of your temporal lobes, you as a conscious being would be destroyed!  How can you deny this relationship!

And you still have not explained how this is conceptually coherent with materialism. You assert decisions have no causal basis. That is absurd. In materialism, all things except in QM are causal. Decisions included. If decisions exist, it logically follows that they have causes.

Your arguments have no substance. All you are doing is attempting to induct a false alternative solely on grounds of the possibility that our naive intuitive use of language may be referencing a different concept than our rigorous scientific definitions of what, if you study it, are actually the same concepts, but you never introduce a plausible alternative. Decisions have no grounding in the brain? Then what is their grounding? The mind is separate from the brain? How the fuck is this possible? Neurons don’t generate thoughts? Really? Have you ever been shot up with acetylcholine? You respond by insisting that our everyday use of the term mind may be conflicting with our neurosicentific one. So what? Can you define what we mean in an everyday context what we mean by “mind”?  Is it relevant? In an everyday context does “mind” refer to an existent process? In neuroscience, it does, but seeing as we do not know how the mind works, in neuroscience, we stick with exactly the same definitions as in everyday use, and it works fucking fine! Same with memory, decision making etc. In science, all we are doing is providing technical explanations for everyday employment of terms. Einstein’s general relativity explains what time is as we naively attempt to reference it. The false correlative introduced by your absurd pandering on the matter would seem to imply that this need not imply to mental concepts. But that begs the question of what “time” in the context of mental concepts is.

Theoretically, you could make your statements and arguments for virtually any word we care to name. It matters not, as I showed with the case of luminferous aether versus photonics, it is to be reduced to the absurd, as a form of argument.

-Me

Books about atheism

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Socrastein

Socrastein wrote:

Todangst

I took your challenge.

No, you did not. You merely asserted that people used immaterial language. They do use the language and think they are making coherent references, but they must actually steal from material. You never show HOW they use this language to imploy immateriality.

This is why you  have NO argument.

And this is why you just run from this point every time I raise it. 

Look what you did in response to my last post: you just ignore it, because it asks you to tell us how 'evil' can be rendered coherent without referencing materiality. 

Quote:

Please show where I was wrong.

I already did, above.

Quote:

I took the time to write out a couple paragraphs on what I think you're arguing.

Hey: why not CUT AND PASTE what I say, so that you have my actual words?

What you posted does not represent my argument. My argument is here, in my post. Cut and paste what you wish to reply to, and present a counter argument.

How simple can it be? 

Quote:

Now, if I was wrong, tell me what I misrepresented. I

I gave you my actual argument. You didn't even copy and paste it, acknowledge it, or, of course, reply to it.

Quote:

In your last post, you acted as if it would be a horror for me to come to terms with qualia being discounted.

No, I didn't.

Yes, you did.

Please, again, don't lie. You demonstrated that you DIDN'T EVEN KNOW MY POSITION, A POINT YOU KEEP REFUSING TO ACKNOWLEDGE: 

Quote:

then according to this retarded use of the word existence there would be no such thing as immaterial.

You've not shown anything here to be 'retarded' other than yourself, particuarly your inability to even work out my position before you try to argue 'against it'!

You can't even be bothered to read the first paragraph of the first post here and figure out my postion.

You can't even demonstrate an understanding of my arguments.

I'm a material monist. My arguments are intended to demonstrate that immateriality is an incoherent concept.

The fact that this is all news to you says quite a bit, doesn't it?

Did you even bother to read the first paragraph in the first post in this thread?

Why don't you go read it, for the first time, champ?

Quote:

Did you catch that?

Yes. And I have no problem with the implication, seeing as I'm a material monist who argues that immateriality is incoherent.

Did you catch that? 

But you might try to actually present my argument as I stated it.

Quote:

If I was to follow the rules of your language game, no matter how ridiculous they are,

You've only demonstrated how ridiculous you are. You've not actually cut and pasted one of my arguments and shown a flaw.

In fact, you can't even WORK OUT MY POSITION!

Quote:

then I would also come to the conclusion that all that exists is necessarily material.

Can you work out yet that I'm a material monist?

Um... excuse me... but you don't even know what my position is.... and you think you're arguing against what I actually have said?

Calling you retarded was kind.

Quote:

And I didn't miss anything. I said that common usage of a word defines a word. You quoted me saying:

the way mental concepts and the way the word existence is commonly used does allow for immaterial things.

I already explained how your definition of existence and immaterial is pretty loaded.

You've not demonstrated anything.

Quote:

The point I was making was, just because you use the words a certain way doesn't mean that anyone who uses them a different way (and nearly everyone else does) is a moron.

The point you keep dodging is that you can't show HOW language coherently employs immateriality.

How many times does this simple point have to be repeated to you?

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Socrastein wrote:All I'm

Socrastein wrote:

All I'm saying is that if your purpose in a debate is to help your interlocutor(s) to understand you and to convince them of your arguments, it's not very practical to drown them in pages and pages and pages of arguments you wrote a long time ago.

What does it matter when they were written? These essays best represent our arguments.

You're complaint is rather bizzare... if you want to actually understand the arguments you think you're responding to, rather than to ramble on over strawmen of your imagination, you'd be better off actually reading our arguments.

Socrastein wrote:

If your purpose in this debate however isn't to effectively communicate your ideas, and you can't be bothered to efficiently argue your points, then get out. It's no loss Eye-wink

That's been my complaint about you. The difference is that yours is a lie, whereas I can demonstrate mine.

You just complained about us presenting our arguements, because they are too  long, now, after admitting that you simply ignore the essays, you whine that no one is bothering to explain our position to you.

You respond to an arguments without even knowing the person's position.

Or being able to represent the actual argument

or even just cut and paste it... for common decency.

you ignore every rebuttal

while just asserting begged questions...

This post says tons about you: you can't be bothered to defend your claims or even read the arguments of your opponents.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
One more thing I wish to

One more thing I wish to add.

We often talk as though our scientific knowledge of a concept and our everyday use of the same concept are referring to different things because they seem so different.

But this again is falsehood. In reality all that is occuring is that we are referring to two different aspects of the same concept.  In science, we are merely describing the technical aspect of the same concept. For example: time.

Our everyday usage of the word time merely refers to events occuring in sequentiality.

Our scientific usage of the same concept explains precisely why this works, and that time is physical entity part of a physical entity called spacetime.

These two appear different, which is why Strafio thinks that our everyday usage of time is different from Relativistic Kinematics. This is false. The reason for this is because our everyday usage of the word time lends itself to our intuition, and our intuition would seem to tell us that time is an intangible Newtonian thing. It is not. We can demonstrate our own intuition false. 

So we need to distinguish the overlapping nature of intuition, everyday usage and scientific usage. Our scientific usage is a technical description of a phenomenon that we eperience everyday. However, our everyday usage leans heavily on or intuition, which scientific empiricism tends often to flip on its head.

The notion that "consciousness" and "the mind" are seperate agents from the material brain, otherwise known as dualism, is very intuitively easy to grasp (even if it is technically impossible to understand because it refers to something absurd). However, this view has been utterly raped by neuroscience.

Neuroscience is about describing instrisic phenomenon to our existence. How do we remember things? How do we process light and sound? What is the mind? How do we reason? We can answer these using neuroscience. However, due to the fact that it is utterly intuitive that these things appear to be seperate from the material, many balk at this. In my neuroscience essay, I smashed aside the bulk of the objections, but the point is that the phenomenon neuroscientists are describing are merely technical descriptions of our everyday experience, we just balk at this due to its counterintuitivity. We can tell you the electrophysiological events which cause decision making, we can tell you about the necessary interagency lobal control necesessary for consciousness, but many balk at this because it a) counterintuivity and b) it appears to contradict free will. I hate the term free will. It is useless. It appears that we have free will, so what of it? Even if our actions are determined by our brains, this gives us nothing to ponder save philosophical ratiocintations. 

Anyway, the point I am trying to make is that our everday use of language is riddled with inaccuracies due to our intuitive bias. These remain uncorrected even when we subconsciously acknowledge their falsehood. For example, nobody believes the sun rotates around the earth, yet the phrase "the sun rises" is still common.

It may be the same when we describe consciousness and the mind in everyday language. Although our intuitive bias would seem to indicate that these are not the processes of physicality, that we can demonstrate their necessary physicality merely reflects an inaccuracy in our everyday language. You may protest that perhaps we are making reference to something other than consciousness as neuroscientists describe it, but this is merely a denying the correlative fallacy. We both mean the same thing: The subjective experience of being the mind. That our everyday language does not reflect the empirically demonstratable physicality of the mind says nothing except that our everyday language is rooted in sometimes inaccurate intuition. It says nothing at all about the reality which it is attempting to describe.

-Me

Books about atheism

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: On

deludedgod wrote:

On another note, I just want to point out that this argument could literally go on for decades but never get anywhere. Watch:

Me: The mind is physical, or rather, a process which is the emergent result of physicality

S: But for you to say that would requisite that you define “mind” in a neuroscientific contex. When we define “mind” in a normal everyday context, it does not refer to such a thing.

Me: But this begs the question of what “mind” in an everyday context refers to, if it refers to anything at all.

Precisely. It begs the question.

And when you ask these fellows to examine their assumptions, they refuse to even acknowledge the existence of the point... the point becomes immaterial, if you will...

One cannot simply beg the question that something is immaterial, and then point to this use of language as justification that immaterial terms are coherent... one must explain HOW language employs immateriality coherently.

Telling us that 'evil' can be considered sans any positive attributes, sans IDENTITY is sheer nonsense. One must explain how one (imagines) that one is doing so... not merely assert that it is done.

I doubt we will see these basic blunders identified by our opponents, as a recognition of these blunders would require a concession.

Watch as this point goes ignored.

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Todangst wrote: One cannot

Todangst wrote:
One cannot simply beg the question that something is immaterial, and then point to this use of language as justification that immaterial terms are coherent... one must explain HOW language employs immateriality coherently.

So you keep complaining, but last time I did this it was the one bit of the post you just didn't answer to. I can't imagine why since it was the bit you've been asking for all this time!

DeludedGod, the reason why I was picking at your premises is because you were trying to use them to counter my argument. You made this claim that scientific explanations prove things about philosophy of mind and I asked you to justify the relevence of your scientific explanations.
You invariably tried to do this with scientific explanations...
Don't get me wrong, you're good at science, but you're like this guy who finds a hammer so useful at knocking nails into a wall that you try and use it to wash the dishes with as well.

It seems that both of you want to see my positive argument from language. You both passed straight through it last time it was posted so try to pay attention this time:

1) The meaning/point of a word/phrase is determined by how we would use it.
This ought to go without saying really.
"Hello" is a word we use to greet people.
"That dog is green" refers to a dog and makes a claim about the colour of said dog. etc.

2) The word 'existence' is a word we use in the context of describing things.
It's when we are describing the world that the question of whether something exists or not. The ontology is how the thing would exist (e.g. as a piece of matter or as combination of physical events etc) and the existence is whether it exists.
A concept with ontology can potentially refer to an actual material thing while an existing object actually does refer to an actual existing thing.

3) We aren't necessarily using nouns to refer to things.
This simply states that just because something is a noun, it doesn't mean that it has to refer to something. There are potentially other uses for nouns other than referring to (or potentially referring to) material things. There are two consequences to this:
a) These nouns will be grammatically similar to referencial concepts but not actually refer to material things. This means that they will share the grammatical properties of the material concept but they don't share the material properties. e.g. coords in spacetime, causal relations with other material things, existence, etc.
b) Because their purpose isn't to refer to things, they don't require an ontology to be meaningful.
(Todangst, if you disagree with this then I expect a full account of what ontology is and why it is necessary even for 'non-referencial' uses of language where 'existence' is irrelevent)

4) From here, I'll re-introduce that definition of immaterial:
Immaterial:

In language, nouns are usually used to refer to something material.
However, there are exceptions to the rule.
Some nouns share the grammar of referencing nouns but don't actually refer to anything material. So they have the grammatical properties of referencing but lack the semantics.
Because of this, we call them 'not material' as although they grammatically remind of material concepts they do not actually refer.

And by the previous premises, immaterial concepts do not need to refer to existing things or even have an ontology to be meaningful, as the requirement of ontology is one for concepts that wish to refer to the material world.

5) Numbers are nouns that do not refer to material things.
That numbers can be nouns should be obvious to anyone who has a basic grasp of our language. They are certainly treated as nouns in the logical language that mathematicians use.
That they don't refer to material things should also be obvious from the way we are taught them. When we are taught a word, we are taught the rules of it's use. To use the word 'chair' we are taught to associate the word with the object chair.
To use numbers we are taught to use the words properly by learning the rules of counting. '5' isn't taught to refer to a material thing, it is the word we say after '4' when we are counting. When you use a number, would you ever use it to refer to something? You might sometimes call the representation of the number the number. e.g. the '4' on the blackboard is the number '4', but mathematicians frown on this definition of a number and have specifically made the distintion between 'number' and 'numeral' to counter it.
Numerals are representations of numbers.
E.g. 'II' and '2' are both different numerals but both the same number.

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Socrastein wrote: No, it

Socrastein wrote:
No, it has not been shown that our intuitive ideas do NOT fit into the relationship between the mind and the brain.

Yes, it has. Deludedgod has shown this a dozen times now.

Mind is spatiotemporal, hence physical. This can and has been demonstrated. Our intuitive notions, however, see mind as immaterial, not physical, non casual, etc. So in terms of physical reality, outside of social communication, our intuitive notions are simply false. Outside of this context, they are irrelevant.

Furthermore, the relationship between mind and body is objective, while intuitive/effective communication is intersubjective.

Socrastein wrote:
You say that pointing out how people intuitively use words and ideas misses the point of the discussion.

*sigh*

It does when they are taken outside of the purpose of communication.

Socrastein wrote:
This discussion rests on whether or not mental concepts (mind/desire/choice/etc.) actually refer to physical things like the brain and neural patterns and the like.

They do, indirectly and unconsciously. I don’t have to consciously and explicitly make direct reference to something for the reference to be there. For instance, to use deludedgod’s example, when we talk about ‘time’, we are also talking about ‘space’, whether we like it or not, or whether we even know it. It is just a fact. Just like talking of water means I am making a reference to H2O. Even if I am unaware that water and H2O are the same, it is true.

Here’s an example from a book I’m currently reading, The Mechanical Mind:

The statements...

a) George Orwell wrote Animal Farm

b) Eric Arthur Blair wrote Animal Farm

...are making reference to the same object/person, since Eric Arthur Blair was Orwell’s original name. So ‘George Orwell’ and ‘Eric Arthur Blair’ are co-referring terms, they refer to the same thing. While there might be a difference intuitively, the seeming contradiction of two different people writing a book that only has one author, technically both statements are true. So todangst, deludedgod and myself are the people saying that while there is a superficial intuitive difference between the two statements, that intuition is wrong, because there is actually no difference at all. On the other hand, you’re the person who argues that they are different, solely because they intuitively seem to be.

So, many people may use words, intersubjectivly, for effective communication based on common intuition, common ignorance, common error, common agreement, etc. But this doesn’t make intuition any less true. The fact that most people might intuitively think that statement (b) is an error, doesn’t not mean it is.

Socrastein wrote:
So, Topher, tell me, if I asked you how a word is used and what it refers to, how would you answer that? Would you conduct a scientific experiment? Would you look at my brain state when I say the word?

I sincerely hope not. What you should do, assuming you're familiar with the word (I wouldn't expect you to know what un chat refers to for instance), is describe to me how it is used by most people and what most people refer to when they use it.

Yes, I agree. Now tell me what relevance this has outside the domain of how people use words, outside of social communication.

Socrastein wrote:
So, this debate is about what people mean when they say "mind", or "conciousness", or "desire".

And after that we are seeing if this meaning is actually true. If we seek to understand something and fine out if something is true, we do not turn to intuition. If someone takes mind or consciousness to mean something akin to an immaterial soul, while I know what they mean and how they are using the words colloquially, that intuitive use only has a purpose within that communicative context. When going beyond that context it’s an error to continue to apply that intuitive use. The problem, it seems, it not that you are applying our intuitive uses to other contexts; it is that you never leave that social communicative context where intuition has some validity.

Socrastein wrote:
So, I can't help but wonder, why the hell you, and deludedgod, and todangst, keep referring to neuroscience experiments to address the issue of how a word is used.

Which demonstrates that you do not understand what we are actually saying!!

We are NOT using neuroscience to show how people intuitively use words; we are using it to show that that intuition is wrong.

Socrastein wrote:
If I ask you what love means, and you link me to an article about the chemical properties of someone's brain when they say they're in love, you've missed the boat... big time.

And if I ask you how love is generated by and within the brain, and you point me to an essay on the use of language and the various uses of the word love, then you’ll not only be on the wrong boat, you be at the wrong harbour!!

Socrastein wrote:
How do you not see this? Are you just so stubborn and so entrenched in your view that you can't see the simple folly of this?

I find this highly ironic since we are agreeing with Strafio that we do have intuitive ideas and that we do apply these intuitive ideas to our use of words. But we move beyond intuition when we are outside of social communication. You and Strafio on the other hand are so entrenched in these intuitive ideas that you cannot see that they are false, not can you seem to go beyond them.

Socrastein wrote:
Do you more clearly see now where the relevence of the common usage of an idea comes in?

Do you more clearly see that intuition to is irrelevant to this discussion outside of social communication?

Socrastein wrote:
Just the same, you can't use science to prove that the way we use the word mind is false. When did neuroscience become the new Webster? You still don't see, after all this time, that all the neuroscience in the world doesn't change the common usage of a word.

Where has anyone argued this? No one is saying that neuroscience will change words, but it will help us understand the concepts behind these words, and perhaps this understanding will have an affect on culture and language? Who knows. In fact, I already made the point I don’t think these intuitive concepts will disappear even if we could eliminate them since they are too important to social communication. But this doesn’t mean we cannot still progress in understanding how they are produced by and emerge from the brain. Our intuitive ideas are irrelevant to this understanding.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Are you going to

Quote:
Are you going to just dismiss the question by saying "It has to be just neurons, because everything is material!" Wouldn't that just be begging the question? It's material because everything must be material? If it is just energy and matter, where does the dragon I dreamed of last night exist? Where is the energy and matter of that experience? Of that sensation? Of his scales, and his hot fire breath? There was nothing hot about my neurons, nothing scaly about my brain states.

This looks like a clear fallacy of composition!

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

Socrastein
Socrastein's picture
User is offlineOffline
Todangst I'll ask again,

Todangst

I'll ask again, what part of my summation of your position was incorrect? You challenged me to explain your position, I did so to the best of my ability, and you simply asserted that I was wrong. I asked you how I was wrong, and you told me to go back and reread your posts. Who's trolling again?

Deludedgod

You really need to stop trying to summarize the argument. Your attempts clearly show that you've misunderstood myself and Strafio, and your straw man representations of what you think we're saying only demonstrates your unfamiliarity with philosophy of mind, and the philosophy of language. 

In fact, I'm curious if either you, Todangst, or Topher can summarize our argument in terms that we would accept, not just sarcastic mockings. Topher, you're familiar with this idea I should think, but don't perform very well when challenged in such a way. 

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Topher wrote:

Topher wrote:
They do, indirectly and unconsciously. I don’t have to consciously and explicitly make direct reference to something for the reference to be there. For instance, to use deludedgod’s example, when we talk about ‘time’, we are also talking about ‘space’, whether we like it or not, or whether we even know it. It is just a fact.

Ah... so all this time people subconsciously knew the general theory of relativity, just subconsciously... Albert Einstein wasted time proving it empirically as he merely had to listen to his subconscious...
Just teasing. I know what you're getting at here.

There are linguistic concepts called "extension" and "intension".
Intension is comparable to the rules of use of the word and extension is the object the word refers to.
E.g. your example of H20 and Water being different intensions with the same extension, and one person with two names.

Unfortunately, this is not the case of time.
There are two ways of seeing time.
Either time is 'out there', that is the temporal structure of the universe, or time is 'in here', that is the temporal structure of our perceptual experience.
When I talk about the timeline of England, I am referring to time as in the structure of the universe. If I was describing an experience and I said "time slowed down", unless an amazing quirk had occured in the fabric of spacetime, it seems that my perception of reality saw a 'slowdown' of experience.
You are right that when we apply our intuitive notion of time to 'out there' things we are in a sense trying to refer to the 'out there' time, which turns out (through scientific experiment) to be spacetime.
However, when we are talking about the temporal structure of experience, it clearly begins and ends with our perception of time on our experience.

So the temporal structure of our experience is clearly a separate concept to the one of 'time' the structure of the universe.
The claim that mental events are 'temporal' clearly comes from how our experiences are temporal.
DeludedGod's attempt to identify that with the temporal structure of external reality was certainly a novel idea, but it relies on a conflation.

Quote:
So, many people may use words, intersubjectivly, for effective communication based on common intuition, common ignorance, common error, common agreement, etc. But this doesn’t make intuition any less true. The fact that most people might intuitively think that statement (b) is an error, doesn’t not mean it is.

Once again you appear to be implying that there is an objectivity to language. If not, I'd like to follow Socrastein and request that you give us a brief account of what 'correct' language is and how one can determine 'correct' use from 'wrong' use?
And if there are objective 'rights' and 'wrongs' in language then where do these 'rights' and 'wrongs' arise.

You're right that language is a mish-mash of alternative uses and stuff - that's why so many problems arise. The power of linguistic philosophy is to recognise this so we can take precautions to minimise error. E.g. if you see an opponent using a word in a way that you wouldn't expect then ask for an explanation for it so you can see where they are coming from.

Anyway, even DeludedGod admitted that 'belief' and 'desire' being as we use them in everyday language was a premise his argument. How do we compare our everyday use? Why, we use our ability to use them everyday (our intuitive grasp of the language) to see how we would use the words in given situations, and then we can see where certain definitions have perversed a word. Ofcourse, it can be that we propose a reforming definition, where we justify a re-defining of the word.

I'm sure you'd like to do this to mental concepts.
However, your for doing this comes from physical/meta-physical premises, so you need to show that physics and meta-physics are important to these concepts, and to do that you need to show that our original use of them involved the contexts of physics and metaphysics.

If you disagree with any of this then give your alternative account of language. What really gets me about this conversation is that all three of you have admitted to not really caring for the philosophy of language yet still make assertions on it as if you were bloody authorities on the subject.

Socrastein wrote:
So, I can't help but wonder, why the hell you, and deludedgod, and todangst, keep referring to neuroscience experiments to address the issue of how a word is used.

Topher wrote:
Which demonstrates that you do not understand what we are actually saying!!

We are NOT using neuroscience to show how people intuitively use words; we are using it to show that that intuition is wrong.

Then you've missed the point in the conversation.
Waaay back on the third thread I challenged DeludedGod to justify the relevence that the findings of neuro-science had to the concepts of mind, what justification he had for pointing to a pattern in the brain and calling that 'desire' or something like that. In his defence he made this comment:
DeludedGod wrote:
You keep insisting that I am using a prescribed definition of the mental states I am attempting to explain which is not necessarily the right one. But it is. Check it. The definitions we use in neuroscience are essentially the same as the ones we might use in everyday life. After all, we are trying to explain what people everyday consider to be certain mental functions, so why wouldn’t we employ the same definitions?

i.e. The premise behind his very argument was that 'everyday people use mental concepts to refer to physical things', and neuroscience could show which things.
Unfortunately, this premise has yet to be justified.

Socrastein wrote:
If I ask you what love means, and you link me to an article about the chemical properties of someone's brain when they say they're in love, you've missed the boat... big time.

Topher wrote:
And if I ask you how love is generated by and within the brain, and you point me to an essay on the use of language and the various uses of the word love, then you’ll not only be on the wrong boat, you be at the wrong harbour!!

Not really. If someone asked you what the weight of green was then you'd have to explain to them the meaning of the words as they clearly didn't understand their use. When you ask how "love is generated by the brain" you imply that either love is a referencial word that refers things the same way tables and chairs do, or you imply that 'generated' is a relation between physical and non-physical entities.
So something somewhere has gone wrong with your language use, and that is what we must investigate before the conversation can do any further. After all, correct use of language is the most important thing in a conversation. You have to understand what your opponent is saying before you can call them right or wrong, and all three of you appear to have forgotten that.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: However, when we

Quote:

However, when we are talking about the temporal structure of experience, it clearly begins and ends with our perception of time on our experience.

So the temporal structure of our experience is clearly a separate concept to the one of 'time' the structure of the universe.
The claim that mental events are 'temporal' clearly comes from how our experiences are temporal.
DeludedGod's attempt to identify that with the temporal structure of external reality was certainly a novel idea, but it relies on a conflation.

That is ridiculous. Are you implying that REK only applies to "certain types" of time? That our mental states our exemept. That is the pedestal of absurdity. If that were true, that experiment by UC would have failed, and Newton’s paradox would not work. Even if we do not realize it, when we say time we are referencing an utter inaccuracy. There is no such thing as time, only spacetime. Hence when we say I have 45 minutes left to do task X what we mean is: At the relative speed at which I am moving through spacetime, the dilating effect caused by the effect of my material body (and the L-F contraction resulting), means that depending on my mean velocity, I have 45min +/- 0.00000000000000012s to accomplish task X. Furthermore, my movement through this continuum as I accomplish this task only exists due the gravitational distortion of my body through spacetime a la the L-F contraction. As I move through spacetime, the dilating and distorting effects of general relativistic kinematics are what produce the movement of me as a body of mass, although unless I am to engage in a freefall while completing task X, there will be no accelerating being that due to gravitational distortion acceleration occurs only relative to the continuum itself not other material bodies.  Our mental concepts are taking place temporally as in within Relativistic temporality, and if this were not true nothing would exist since relativistic temporality is the effect which generates gravity. This is why YOU PERCEIVE TIME SLOWING DOWN AS YOU SPEED UP WHICH DOES INDICATE THAT OUR MENTAL CONCEPTS ARE TAKING PLACE WITHIN RELATIVISTIC TEMPORALITY. THIS IS EMPIRICALLY DEMONSTRATABLE BANGS HEAD ON WALL.

You are not making any argument with any substance whatsoever. All you are doing is making a denying the correlative and annoying half the people here! All you are doing is showing like a broken record that our intuitions might be referencing concepts which attempt to describe concepts in a different way that science describes the same concepts, and attempt to use this as viable justification for our intuition referring to different concepts than our scientific description of what scientists consider the same concept. There is no substance whatsoever to any of these claims, all it does is show how inaccurate our intuition are. We have two possibilities:

Me: Science overturns our intuitive grasp of certain concepts by proving that said intuitive grasp is false

You: Or our intuitive grasp of concepts is referencing something different to our scientific description.

My point has evidence to back it up. Real, testable evidence. Relativistic Kinematics and General relativity are so watertight that we can now compute time dilation to (>30sf). Your assertion is little more than skipping around anything and everything that would possibly necessarily connect the two concepts in question! By now, your repeated denial of the connection is so utterly unreasonable and absurd that your position is utterly untenable and extremely dishonest.

the gist of my argument was that you are making unreasonable and repeated denials of necessary links between concepts due solely to the fact that they do not conform to our intuitions. Heliocentricitity does not conform to our intuition, should we dump that as well? You are mining the depths of absurdity here. All you are arguing is that our intuitions refer to concepts in different manner than does the scientific attempts to describe the same concept. But, as I have pointed out, our intuitive use merely reflects inaccuracies in our language. That we describe time as if we were intuitive Newtonian Kinematists is utterly irrelevant, just as our intuitive observation would seem to indicate that the sun rotates around the Earth. The scientific description of the concept which our intuition attempts to reference is more accurate since it is demonstratably correct. I can demonstrate that relativistic kinematics must be true, and I did so three times! Which would hence lend itself to the notion that any concepts to which we reference as temporal must be physical even if we do not subconsciously acknowledge this because we intuitively grasp time as some sort of intangible unto itself! But your argument is utter nonsense. There is no dichotomy between Relativistic kinematics and intuitive time. Intuitive time is simply an inaccuracy in our language reflecting that we cannot perceive relativistic kinematics. Your defense of it is ridiculous. Your other defense of it (that intuitive time may be referencing a different concept than Relativistic Kinematics) is a genuine Denying the correlative fallacy. I could make that statement about anything (that we are attempting to reference two different things), but it has no backing whatsoever. Watch:

You: Light is a material substance which travels through luminiferous ether

Me: That is utterly ridiculous. The notion of LE has been debunked thoroughly. Light has no mass, it has wavelike and particlelike properties (As confirmed by the Double-split experiments), it travels through a vacuum (empty space time), and being that it has no mass, it is the stop on the speed of information in the universe.

You: Ah! But I am playing the language game of our intuition. We intuitively grasp light as if it were a substance travelling through luminferous aether.

Me: Yes, but that is false.

You: But you are referring the language game of science! Perhaps I might be referencing light as if it were indeed a substance travelling through luminiferous aether. Our intuitions cannot grasp the results of the Double-split experiments, therefore I might be referring to light as a substance travelling through luminiferous aether.

Me: But now you are simply mining the depths of absurdity! All you are doing is showing that modern photonics is at odd with our intuitions, and you are defending this on grounds that we might be referring to two different things solely on grounds that photonics of light and intuitive understanding of light are different! You aren’t showing anything at all, you aren’t establishing anything, all you are doing is driving up my blood pressure.

This is exactly what you are doing. By contrast, I have shown that Relativistic Kinematics must be all encompassing. If I could take you on a space ship at (>c/15ms^-1), you would actually perceive time slowing down. Because for you, and me, time would slow down. We could be gone for moments and return years later to Earth. This is not idle speculation of physicists, this is how reality works. And we have confirmed it with accuracy that will blow your mind (>10dp) More than I can say for you.

-Me

Books about atheism

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: If someone asked

Quote:

If someone asked you what the weight of green was then you'd have to explain to them the meaning of the words as they clearly didn't understand their use.

The weight of green is 0, just like every other wave on the EM spectrum. 

-Me

Books about atheism

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: You really need to

Quote:

You really need to stop trying to summarize the argument. Your attempts clearly show that you've misunderstood myself and Strafio, and your straw man representations of what you think we're saying only demonstrates your unfamiliarity with philosophy of mind, and the philosophy of language.

Oh, then what do you want me to do? My argument is very simple. The idea that the mind is seperate from physical reality is absurd.

When I show that using neuroscience, I get whined at that the neuroscientific definitions may not necessarily be the same as "in everyday usage".  Which is false, of course? What do we mean when we say decision making? Easy. The choosing of a course of action followed by the translation of this intent into actual execution of the action. Same in science. What do we mean when we say consciousness ? We mean the subjective experience of being the mind. 

Is that good enough? These were the functions whose physicality I demonstrated. Seems more or less identical to our everyday employment. 

Like I said before, scientific definitions are merely the technical phrases in which we describe the same concepts of everyday reality? What do mean in everyday use when we say "green"? A colour. What do we mean in science? A wavelength on the EM spectrum. Both are referring to exactly the same thing, just on different levels. Same here. By your argument, I should also be able to claim that perhpas the "green" which we are referencing in everday use might be different from the wavelength on the EM spectrum. WHich would be absurd. 

Quote:

Your rebuttal relies on denying the correlative. It is introducing the nonexistant alternative that any description of time may coherently reference something other than Relativistic Kinematics, and, more to the point, that there is evidence to back up this description.

Why is it so hard to get your head around the notion that our scientific description of spacetime is merely a technical description of time as we experience it everyday? You want proof. Easy! Go to the kitchen and toss an apple into the air! Does it come down? 

-Me

Books about atheism

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: That is

deludedgod wrote:
That is ridiculous. Are you implying that REK only applies to "certain types" of time? That our mental states our exemept. That is the pedestal of absurdity. If that were true, that experiment by UC would have failed, and Newton’s paradox would not work.

Oh boy... the scientific mastermind does it again.
He assumes that our language is restricted to that of science, again!
And the best bit is that this discussion leads on from his attempts to justify said assumption.

Quote:
Even if we do not realize it, when we say time we are referencing an utter inaccuracy.

This statement depends on the premise that when we apply the concept of time we are trying to describe the nature of the universe. In questions of cosmology, that is the case.
When we are describing the structure of our perceptual experience... hmmm.... is our perceptual experience the workings of the universe?

Quote:
There is no such thing as time, only spacetime. Hence when we say I have 45 minutes left to do task X what we mean is: At the relative speed at which I am moving through spacetime, the dilating effect caused by the effect of my material body (and the L-F contraction resulting), means that depending on my mean velocity, I have 45min +/- 0.00000000000000012s to accomplish task X.

So when you say you have 45 mins to do your task, you weren't informing someone of the time constraints to your activity, you were trying to give them an accurate picture of the underpinnings of the universe. Seems like a funny time and place to do such a thing.

You don't seem to like that I pick holes and show that your linguistic assumptions are unjustified, but I wouldn't have to if you didn't keep restating these assumptions so categorically. If you were to even say "Alright, I might be wrong about the application of language - what's your positive theory on it?" then this conversation you can go forward. The thing is, whenever I put forward such a positive explanation you dismiss is based on these pre-conceptions of yours, then I am reduced to having to challenge these pre-conceptions...

Quote:
Me: Science overturns our intuitive grasp of certain concepts by proving that said intuitive grasp is false

Except science cannot say anything about our concepts until it has already been established that we are using them to refer to the external reality that science deals with.
A question needs to make certain conceptual conditions before it can be considered a scientific question. You're fine once these conditions have been established - after all, these are the kinds of questions that you have been trained to deal with. The thing is, you have dipped your finger into philosophy where questions rarely meet these conditions (otherwise they would be questions of science rather than philosophy, you see?)

On the one hand, it's admirable that you're willing to tackle problems outside your area of expertise. The problem comes in when you fail to realise that all the assumptions that you could take for granted in science don't apply here. So rather than tackle philosophy, you simply misread philosophical questions a scientific ones. If that was the case, wouldn't philosophers have been given similar training to scientists in order to tackle such questions?

This in itself wouldn't be so bad if you had the humility to admit it, but after so blatantly misunderstanding the entire subject, you then start talking with an authoritative tone. And when I question your assertions in the correct way, fair enough you don't understand as this is not your area of expertise and not a discourse you have been trained to deal with, but maybe that means that if you come across an argument you misunderstand from someone who has studied then maybe you should recognise that it might just be you who isn't understanding the points that's being made.

Instead you try to blame all the misunderstandings on me, despite the fact that we're discussing an area that is clearly out of your expertise. Now I don't claim to be an expert on linguistic philosophy - I've barely started to scratch the surface of the subject. The thing is, even I can see that you've grasped the most basic issues to the subject. This might sound like an argument from authority but it's not. I'm not asking you to take my word on anything here, just pointing out that if you want a leg to stand on these discussions then you need to study the issues at hand.

Yes, your knowledge of scientific fact is very impressive.
But you clearly don't understand the nature of these facts or how they ought to be used in an argument. You were taught skills to separate scientific fact from scientific fiction. If you want to apply these facts in a scientific debate then you need to learn something new.

It seems that we're both fed up with the conversation as it has been going. You've been making the assertions and I've been trying to counter them. Perhaps you would like to turn the tables. Higher up on this page is my positive argument for the use of the word 'immaterial'. While you might not agree with it, you'll atleast get a taste for what a linguistic argument should look like and maybe get a feel for the issues involved.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Socrastein

Socrastein wrote:

Todangst

I'll ask again, what part of my summation of your position was incorrect?

I keep telling you that I don't want you summarizing at all, considering that you couldn't even work out my position. You are utterly incapable of presenting my argument accurately, so you must just cut and paste what you wish to respond to...

The fact that you continue to do this, and continue to just repeat what you've again said here, just shows me that you're an asshole out to troll the board.

You refuse to cut and paste what you think you're responding to... if you would, I could show you where you are going wrong.

For example, had you actually cut and paste my essay, you might have worked out that I am arguing for material monism... your posts proved that you couldn't even work out my position.

And you continue to lie about this too.

In return, you offer no actual argument, you merely beg the question, as I've already demonstrated, and as you continue to even fail to acknowledge.

Please stop lying that this is not the case.

Please stop trolling our boards.

Quote:

In fact, I'm curious if either you, Todangst, or Topher can summarize our argument in terms that we would accept

Please stop your incessant lying. I've given you my arguments, you refuse to read them, or respond to them. You've even whined about reading essays... i.e. you've openly refused to actually read the arguments you wish to respond to here!

If you were curious, you'd actually read them, cut and paste them into your posts, and then write actual arguments in response.

Here's just one you ran from. I don't post it for you, but for Strafio to see:

Quote:

Well, if we're referring to words and concepts, we know them through our grasp of language.

That's not answering the question, it's begging the question.

You must say how we grasp them.

I'm asking you how something works, and you're answer is basically 'beautifully!"

You can't just assert that we do it with language, you must explain how.

Provide an ontology or concede that the terms must borrow meaning from materialism.

Quote:

A good example would be the idea of evil. It has the properties of being immaterial,

You're merely begging the question that it does, and then asserting this begged question as an example of immateriality! This is the precise blunder I point out in my essay!

You can't just beg the question here! You must demonstrate your claims!

Look, try thinking this through: To express 'evil' you must point to behavior, which is physical. Whatever level of abstraction you grant a term, you can't imagine 'evil' unless you instantiate it in some manner... the abstraction must be represented in some way.

What do you think when you think 'evil'? You must have some emotional tone which can cathect or connect to something auditory or visual, or something envisioned directly...

Think about it... don't just rush to assume and then assert.

Quote:

it has the properties of being a linguistic concept, a mental idea. As such, it has no physical existence in any shape or form.

This is simply false and you'd see it if you considered how you conceive of an abstraction like 'evil'. To consider the concept, to express the concept you must instantiate it in some manner.

Please think this through. Your arguments are based on poorly begged questions....

You simply assume that a concept has no physical properites, but if this were the case, then it would have no ontology at all, no identity. So you're just not thinking this through.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Topher wrote: Socrastein

Topher wrote:

Socrastein wrote:
No, it has not been shown that our intuitive ideas do NOT fit into the relationship between the mind and the brain.

Yes, it has. Deludedgod has shown this a dozen times now.

Yes. His continued lying on this matter is trolling at this point. If I see more of it, I'll step in as a mod.  

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Strafio wrote:

Strafio wrote:
Todangst wrote:
So you keep complaining,

No, it's not just a complaint, old friend. You can't just beg the question that "X" is immaterial and then assert it as an example of how language can speak coherently of immateriality.

You must explain HOW it can do so.

Quote:

but last time I did this it was the one bit of the post you just didn't answer to.

I did respond to it, by showing the fatal flaw in the foundation of your argument. You must explain how you can conceive of an idea that has no identity! What are you conceiving, if the 'idea' has no properties, no characteristics, identity?

This defeats your entire argument.

Quote:

It seems that both of you want to see my positive argument from language. You both passed straight through it last time it was posted so try to pay attention this time:

I already have, so can you pay attention this time: You must explain how you can conceive of an idea that has no identity!

In other words, you're wrong that a term can have meaning, sans ontological status.

Quote:

1) The meaning/point of a word/phrase is determined by how we would use it.

This ought to go without saying really.

You need to stop and think rather than just pass off such claims so glibly.

You cannot grant meaning to a term that violates basic ontology.

This is the fatal flaw in your argument.

This is the heart of my essay that you think you're responding to...

You must explain how you can conceive of an idea that has no identity!

Quote:

2) The word 'existence' is a word we use in the context of describing things.

In ontology, the word 'existence' is NOT a predicate, it is not a characteristic. To exist is to exist as something, to have identity, ergo it is redundant to use 'existence' to describe anything. Once we speak of an entity, it's identity, existence is axiomatic, a necessity...

To exist is to exist as something, to have attributes, characteristics, identity.... To conceive is to conceive of something.

Quote:

It's when we are describing the world that the question of whether something exists or not.

This is a fallacy of equivocation in this context. You are using 'existence' to denote whether an abstraction has a real world correlate. Existence as a matter of ontology is different from 'existence' vis-a-vis the question:Does Bigfoot exist. Here the question is: is this idea instantiated outside of our minds. It's not a matter of existence qua ontology. In that case, in our present argument, existence relates to matters of identity. Real world correlates do not matter. This is precisely why your agument confuses abstractions for immateriality.

Do not confuse the fact that some abstractions have no real world correlate for such ideas representing 'immaterialty"

To help you best see this error, you must explain how you can conceive of an idea that has no identity!

When you see the impossibility of the request, you will see the flaw in your argument.

Quote:

The ontology is how the thing would exist (e.g. as a piece of matter or as combination of physical events etc) and the existence is whether it exists.

No. You're using 'existence' in a different sense that has no application for our discussion. All that matters here IS ontology, not whether abstractions have real world correlates. Ontologically, what matters is that to exist is to exist as something....

Quote:

A concept with ontology can potentially refer to an actual material thing while an existing object actually does refer to an actual existing thing.

ALL coherent concepts might point to a real thing, whether they do is moot. This is your confusion. What matters here is that any concept MUST have ontology.

Quote:

3) We aren't necessarily using nouns to refer to things.
This simply states that just because something is a noun, it doesn't mean that it has to refer to something.

If by this, you mean that it does not need an extra mental existence, this is moot. What matters is that for the concept to exist, it must have identity, ergo ontological status. It must exist as something, otherwise how can we identify it?

I.e. without identity, not identification.

Quote:

b) Because their purpose isn't to refer to things, they don't require an ontology to be meaningful.

And here I make the deathstroke to your argument.

It dies. Here. 

Ontology speaks to matters of existence, identity and meaning. Without any identity, there can be no identification, ergo, there can be no meaning!

None.  

If a term has NO identity, no ontological status, then how can you conceive of it... what, pray tell, are you conceiving?

Quote:

(Todangst, if you disagree with this then I expect a full account of what ontology is and why it is necessary even for 'non-referencial' uses of language where 'existence' is irrelevent)

I already have done this over and over.

HOW CAN YOU CONCEIVE OF AN IDEA WITHOUT ANY ONTOLOGICAL STATUS?

What, pray tell, are you conceiving?

Notice how your friend just ran from this point vis-a-vis his begged assertion that 'evil' is an example of 'immateriality'

Can you do better?

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cliff notes to this entire

Cliff notes to this entire thread:

Quote:

Ontology speaks to matters of existence, identity and meaning. Without any identity, there can be no identification, ergo, there can be no meaning.

So your claim is demonstratably false.

QED

End of thread.  

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Repost from page 2, one of

Repost from page 2, one of my first posts:

todangst wrote:

Strafio wrote:
] Remember that this argument relies on the premise that concepts like desire are physical concepts?

Provide an ontology for non physical concepts.

Had this been answered, we would have gone right to the fatal flaw in your argument.

No ontology, no meaning.

Socrastein
Socrastein's picture
User is offlineOffline
Look, try thinking this

Look, try thinking this through: To express 'evil' you must point to behavior, which is physical. Whatever level of abstraction you grant a term, you can't imagine 'evil' unless you instantiate it in some manner... the abstraction must be represented in some way. --Todangst

If someone bashes a baby's head in with a wooden bat, that's a token of the type evil. It's a behavior to which we attach the idea evil. There are many, many different tokens of the type evil, or many instances and behaviors to which we can attach the idea of evil, just like their are many different green pieces of paper that we attach the concept of "One US Dollar" to. I agree that the tokens here are physical, they are material. What I'm saying is immaterial is the concept that is applied to all of them, in so far as their is no physical thing that we can point to and call "the idea of evilness". There are physical things that we can point to and say "That is evil", but those are just behaviors to which we attach an idea, a word. To say that the instance and the idea are one in the same is incorrect. 

The thing is Todangst, you've defined your position in such a way that an argument against it is impossible. I'm sure you're thinking "no shit", and I realize that's what you've been saying the whole time here.

What I'm saying is, you've given no argument for why immateriality must by definition be impossible.

You define existence as physical existence. So when you're asking someone to give an example of nonphysical existence using your definition of existence, obviously it's going to be impossible. 

When you equate concievability with physical existence, obviously asking someone how they can concieve of an immaterial idea becomes an impossible request.

Now, I said before that according to the way you define these and other key concepts, nothing material can exist. I agree, from what I can see, your position seems to be internally consistent. You've defined it to be true by definition.

What you don't understand is, in philosophy, that's usually known as pseudophilosophy. If the only reason your position is true is because you've redefined it to automatically be correct, you haven't really done anything extraordinary. 

I say that most people have no problem saying that ideas and numbers exist. You would say, that's because they just haven't thought it through... correct? However, you're assumption that someone who thinks it through will conclude that immaterial is incoherent is based on another assumption, which is that everyone shares your definition of words like existence, and material, and abstraction, etc.

That's the assumption I'm questioning. I think your terms are loaded, I think that most people would reject them not because most people are stupid, but because nobody else uses them like that.

You repeat this phrase over and over in one of your latest posts:

You must explain how you can conceive of an idea that has no identity!

What you really seem to be saying, though, is that we must explain how you can conceive of an idea that has no physical identity. Since you've defined existence as physical existence, and identity as strictly physical identity, obviously this is an "impossible request".

You keep acting as though you are the last word when it comes to ontology, as though competing view points are nonexistant.

Ontology speaks to matters of existence, identity and meaning. --You

That's quite true, but the presupposition behind this statement of your seems to be that ontology only speaks to matters of physical existence, physical identity, and physical meaning.

The reason ontology is an issue in the first place is because for thousands of years people have pondered what kind of existence things that aren't matter/energy have, if they can even have any.

For you to simply define ontology physically rather arrogantly brushes away one of the most interesting and complicated branches of philosophy.

Any philosopher would agree that a red apple is physical, and a red rose is physical, and a red stop sign is physical. What philosophers don't agree on, and what you keep ignoring and dismissing with your assumptions, is what type of existence, if any, the redness that they all have in common has.

Your arguments are defined in a way that doesn't even allow for this possibility. That's ridiculous and narrow-minded. Like I said, you and a small handful of people share these very narrow definitions.

Everyone else has no problem saying the number 3 exists as an immaterial universal, because not everyone else has defined existence as strictly physical existence.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:

Oh boy... the scientific mastermind does it again.
He assumes that our language is restricted to that of science, again!
And the best bit is that this discussion leads on from his attempts to justify said assumption.

Do you realize the inherent absurdity of your request of me? I am not assuming that our language is restricted to science, I am merely pointing out that science is the best and only way of describing empirical reality. So, the hypocrisy of your request lies in the fact that whenever I attempt to link the concept of the mind to relativistic temporality, or relativistic temporality to “intuitive time”, you assert that I am “using the language of science” so, then, by “time” we may be referencing something other than relativistic temporality, or that “time” may not be used in empirical reality. Relativity is part of empirical reality, therefore, if the mind operates within the temporal real of Relativistic kinematics, obviously the evidence that I would show which would link the mind to relativistic temporality will also be...empirical! What else can I do? If the mind is does operate within the empirical, it logically follows that any evidence of this statement will also be empirical, so you are being absurdly untentable and hypocritical by accusing me of making “assumptions” when the evidence I present of said concept will also be empirical.

Every time I attempt to produce evidence of the mind operating within empirical temporality, you assert that I assume empirical descriptions of reality. But the whole point was that if the mind does indeed exist in empirical reality it logically follows that I will provide empirical evidence of it. What else do you expect me to do?

Now, you may assert that this requisites me to define “mind” in empirical terms. So what? To my knowledge, I am the only one who has given a coherent description of mental functions, in physical terms. All you have done is asserted that they are requisiting the language of physics.

All your so-called “immaterialities” are not so. They are abstractions. If you are indeed a materialist monoist, you must acknowledge that eventually they can be reduced to abstractions which is to say that they are represented by neurons. “Evil” is a concept held by sentient beings. If sentient beings did not exist, nor would the notion of “evil”. Eventually, then, the concept of “evil” can be explained in terms of neurons in sentient beings which represent the abstractions of these concepts. If you are a monoist you must acknowledge this. Likewise, I get the impression that you hold that the “mind” does not exist, that it is merely a social description of our mental experience. I disagree based on the fact that you have not defined the mind, but it is an irrelevant disagreement. The point is that this “social concept” can eventually be reduced to abstractions in the brain. This is, in essence, after all, how sentience works.

Of course, this has no relevance in everyday language, but this is irrelevant. I am pointing it out as a matter of technicality. For example, when we talk of “love”. We are talking about an emotion. We do not talk of it as a material thing in everyday language. In neuroscience, we talk of “love” in terms of oxytocin and vasopressin. Both contexts refer to the same thing, just, well...in different contexts. One is merely a very technical description of the other. You asserted that this may not be the case rather that our everyday use might be referencing a different concept, but I pointed out this inherent falsehood. They are not, and I can show they are not, but obviously, being that we are describing something empirical, It will requisite me to refer to empirical language, so please stop asking me to use empirical language and then criticizing me for using empirical language.

This is what science is. Science is merely providing the technical, physical descriptions of these concepts we reference everyday. These concepts ARE NOT immaterial! They are merely of a much lower ontological status than of the physical grounding from which they emerge! (As in emergentism, not reductionism). So, why not just use the term emergent? For example, take the mind. I believe the mind is an emergent result from the brain. You believe that “mind” is merely a social description used to describe our mental states. We disagree (or are simply using two different usages of the word), but it does not matter. Being that both our views may eventually be explained in terms of abstractions being held by sentient beings

You ask me to justify this and I do. Over and over. Then, you assert that my justification requisited that I assume that they are empirical and use the language of empiricism and science! But what do you expect me to do. You are the one asking that I justify the empirical nature of the concepts in questions, so obviously I will present empirical proof, for the obvious reason that the mere fact that empirical proof can be presented would indicate the concept itself will be empirical!

So, then, predicatably, you assert that the empirical definition of the concept in question that I employ may be different from the real-usage in everyday language. But as I pointed out, this is an unjustified assertion. Science is describing the same thing as everyday language, merely in technical terms.

What do we mean when we casually reference “memory” in everyday terms? We mean our ability to remember, recollect and store information?

What do we mean in neuroscience when we say memory: The neural mechanisms by which we store, recollect and remember information?

So, I put forth a scientific explanation of memory, then you assert that this requisites I assume the language of science and that we may reference “memory” differently in everyday context. Then I point out that the language of science is merely a technical description of everyday phenomenon, and you disagree, and I show that I am indeed correct, and then we argue over immateriality v abstraction.

Ad infinitum.

Quote:

This statement depends on the premise that when we apply the concept of time we are trying to describe the nature of the universe. In questions of cosmology, that is the case.
When we are describing the structure of our perceptual experience... hmmm.... is our perceptual experience the workings of the universe?

You misunderstand. I meant it as a matter of technicality. When I am talking amongst friends, I do not use the word “time” in a relativistic context. I use it in a social context. Since relativity is insignificant and negligible at our speeds, it makes no impact whatsoever on your or my everyday life.

But we must still acknowledge, technically, that it is there, even if it is irrelevant at our speeds.

Quote:

So when you say you have 45 mins to do your task, you weren't informing someone of the time constraints to your activity, you were trying to give them an accurate picture of the underpinnings of the universe. Seems like a funny time and place to do such a thing.

No, again, I meant that as a matter of technicality. In everyday language, I would be saying “I have 45 minutes to do task X”.

In a physics class, if I was using this example to teach relativity (I am not a teacher, but just go with the example)

Both of them are accurate, it is just that one is accurate in a social context, and the other in a physics context. The physics context is merely giving a much more accurate description of how we use in everyday language.

Now, you may assert that I justify that “time” in physics is merely a much more technical explanation of “time” as we employ it everyday, and I have, four times now. However, you will undoubtably dismiss it on grounds that it is using the language of science, but of course it will! If I am attempting to show something exists empirically I will be referring to it using the language of (shocker) empiricism. Why is this such a travesty for me to commit?

Quote:

You don't seem to like that I pick holes and show that your linguistic assumptions are unjustified, but I wouldn't have to if you didn't keep restating these assumptions so categorically

I told you before that I was merely pointing out technicalities that had no relevance in everyday life. But as I said before, I can easily link our everyday usage of “time” with our very technical usage of “time” in physics. You just won’t accept it because I am using the language of...physics. Would you like me to use the language of music instead? If you ask me to empirically link concept X and concept Y, I will be using empirical language. Likewise, I will be defining X and Y in their empirical contexts. What else am I supposed to do?

This is where your fallacy of denying the correlative enters the fray. You are introducing false alternatives into the debate, such as that “time” might refer to something “nonempircal”. To my knowledge, however, Einstein is the only one who can give a coherent description of what time is, so he wins. If I am to show that “time” as we experience it is relativistic, obviously my proof will requisite that I rely on empiricism. Surely, to accuse me of making “assumptions” based on this is to ask me to do something you know is impossible. I ask, can you give me a non emperical definition of time, or are you introducing the false alternative that “time” may not comply with REK”?

Quote:

Except science cannot say anything about our concepts until it has already been established that we are using them to refer to the external reality that science deals with.

Yes...and so obviously if I am to prove that such a concept has actual existence, eventually I will come out with an empirical description of the concept in question. Do you have any other definitions or are you merely asserting that my point about the empirical definition being the best is unjustified?

Quote:

A question needs to make certain conceptual conditions before it can be considered a scientific question. You're fine once these conditions have been established - after all, these are the kinds of questions that you have been trained to deal with. The thing is, you have dipped your finger into philosophy where questions rarely meet these conditions (otherwise they would be questions of science rather than philosophy, you see?)

Yes, but the problem is that to my knowledge I am the only one who can provide coherent definitions of the concept in questions. I can tell you what time is. I can tell you how decision making works. I can tell you about interagency control and although I can tell you very little about consciousness, I can show you that it depends on interagency control. The problem is that this requires that I define said concepts as empirical. However, again, to my knowledge, the empirical definitions of these concepts in question are the only conceptually coherent ones (hence you accusing me of making the equivocation fallacy and me accusing you of making the opposing fallacy).

Furthermore, I can again point out that these definitions I can provide are in no conflation with our everyday use of the terms. There is nothing wrong with them.

Also, you will find that as our methods get sharper, more and more philosophical questions get incorporated into science. “Time” used to be the area of armchair ratiocinations of philosophers, so did “matter”, so did “space”, so did “the mind”, so did “morality”. However, now we have Relativistic Kinematics, topological physics, neurophenomenology and cognitive evolutionary neuroscience respectively.

So, with regards to “decision making” being “acausal”, I would contest that directly because in your OP it sounded as if you were employing “decision making” as a social term used to describe mental states. Even if this were true, as a concept, it would still be reducible to the emergent result of abstractions generated by neurons in sentient beings. However, the point I am trying to make is that I did indeed explain that decisions were causal and physical and explained the electrophysiological event that generated them.

So you accused me of trying to apply scientific explanation of an idea that might be similar to our everyday use of the term “decision making”, but not necessarily in line. And I pointed out that this is false.

Everyday language: Decision making is the choice from a set of options and the translation of this intent to do something into an actual action of doing something. In short, decision making is the exercising of control over our actions.

Neuroscience: Decision making is the choice from a set of options and the translation of this intent to do something into an actual action of doing something. In short, decision making is the exercising of control over our actions. Our job is to discover the electrophysiology and area of the brain responsible for these functions. Which we have done. I believe the phenomenon above was exactly what I described in that paragraph ages ago.

I can see why you would work to deny that the concept in question has any basis in empirical reality. The second that it becomes acknowledged that the word in question might refer to empirical reality, it becomes my domain immediately. But, indeed, it begs the question of what else it could be if not a part of empirical reality.

For example, I can show that the mind is necessarily a part of empirical reality by explaining the requirement for a mind to exist in terms of sensory processing, pattern recognition engines, neuron bundles etc. I have done this. You point out that this requires me to define the mind empirically or in the “language of science”. So what? Can you define the term any other way? More to the point, is this other definition merely a non-technical description of the effect we are describing?

One last thing. You are setting up a false dichotomy with your distinguishing of our intuitive a priori time with a posteriori relativity and then concluding our mind “is described in terms of the former”. Time per se is a priori, but this sure as hell does not mean that our intuitive understanding of time as being a Newtonian ether is a priori. Whatever our description of what time is will be a posteriori since it requires us to observe the natural world. We can conclude that time is a priori, and the denial of it is self-refuting. We cannot a priori claim that time is “relativistic” or “Newtonian”. That is a posteriori. Newton came to his conclusion about time based on his observations of the world. He concluded that time was an absolute, synchronous progression of events which was in constant harmony throughout the universe. He came to this conclusion based on his observations of the world and hence wrote this in Principia. However, since Maxwell’s equations had not yet been discovered, he could not have seen the giant hole in his conception. Einstein showed as that time is relative and hence, is a physical entity, not an abstraction (by abstraction I merely mean a concept held by sentient beings). This is many implications. It means QED that any entity or concept which operates within the realm of time has or is the emergent result of physical entities, which have Cartesian coordinates in 4D characterized by (x,y,z,t) where x,y,z are spatial dimensions, and t is time.

So, then, the crux is that these things that you are insisting are a different language set to physical concepts are not so, they are merely much lower ontological status than the physical brains which generate the sentient minds which generate the concepts in question. They are not so much different language sets as they are referencing things which are simply much lower down the ontological hierarchy. I suppose then, our argument must turn to whether these notions in question are indeed simply much lower ontological status than the physical grounding of the abstractions, or if they are referencing things which are utterly “non-physical” altogether.  You claim that the only way they can be “non-physical” altogether is if they are not referencing existent things. However, we must acknowledge then that the concept or the idea can still be explained in terms of abstraction, which may be explained in terms of neurons. This is materialism. Furthermore, I would contest some of your examples are not referencing existing things, it depends how you define them.

The latter (that these abstractions in question are referencing a different language set instead of something lower down the ontological hierarchy), of course, is total nonsense. I must remind you, then, that only the former is compatible with materialist monoism. You must acknowledge that, however many orders of reduction it takes, these concepts can eventually be explained as the emergent result of a physical system (or more usually, the emergent result of the emergent result of a physical system, or third-order etc)

-Me

Books about atheism

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote:

todangst wrote:

Cliff notes to this entire thread:

Quote:

Ontology speaks to matters of existence, identity and meaning. Without any identity, there can be no identification, ergo, there can be no meaning.

So your claim is demonstratably false.

QED

End of thread.

So I've found your premise for your rejection of my ideas:
"Meaning requires an ontology."
Any claims about meaning are in the domain of linguistic philosophy.
This premise contradicts more or less every linguistic philosophy I have come across. Even the logical positivists didn't go this far!
While they had tight restrictions on what could have empirical meaning, they allowed for other types of meaning in language.
e.g. Ayers emotivism.

And popular view was that no one could come up with a more draconian restrictions on language than the logical positivists!
I've yet to come across an opinion that would make ontology and identity more fundamental than meaning. My understanding was that rules based on ontology and identity were justified by the purpose of language, not vice versa!!

But hey, I'm not here to argue from authority.
Maybe all the philosophers in history up to the present day have gotten it wrong and you're about to revolutionise the subject.
Nevertheless, you must justify this view on the philosophy of language.
You must first explain to me what ontology is, as I'm not sure I understand what you mean by it anymore.
You must secondly explain why it is necessary for a word to have an ontology in order to have meaning.

What might help us along here is if you give me some more examples. Could you please explain the ontology of the following sentences?
"Oi!"
"Please do it."
"I don't want to."
"What is your name?"
"Happy days!!"

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
EDIT: I posted this in

EDIT: I posted this in Safari and it strangely convertes ' into ‘ .  

Topher wrote:

Strafio wrote:
Once again you appear to be implying that there is an objectivity to language.

No! I am pointing to objective reality. In my example, objectively, both (a) and (b) are true. Whatever we think intuitively about the two statements is beside the point when it comes to objective reality.

Strafio wrote:
If not, I'd like to follow Socrastein and request that you give us a brief account of what 'correct' language is and how one can determine 'correct' use from 'wrong' use?

When it comes to effective communication, ‘correct’ use of terms are how they are defined, regardless of whether a definition is based on error, ignorance, intuition, etc. If people tend to agree to a term, intersubjectively, then it has a use. (And before you say “Ah! Therefore ‘agnostic’ is correct” I argue against that term due to coherence).

However outside of effective communication, such as describing things specifically, in detail, technically, objectively, we need to, and we do, move beyond intuition. This is precisely why it is an error to apply intuitive ideas outside of effective communication.

Strafio wrote:
Anyway, even DeludedGod admitted that 'belief' and 'desire' being as we use them in everyday language was a premise his argument. How do we compare our everyday use? Why, we use our ability to use them everyday (our intuitive grasp of the language) to see how we would use the words in given situations, and then we can see where certain definitions have perversed a word. Ofcourse, it can be that we propose a reforming definition, where we justify a re-defining of the word.

Well I agree they are the same in that they are describing or attempting to describe the same object. (i.e. both out intuitive idea of time and our scientific explanation of time are both describing, or attempting to in the case of the former, the same object, spacetime). However I agree there is also a superficial difference, based on our intuition. This was what my example was showing: that statement (a) George Orwell wrote Animal Farm and (b) Eric Arthur Blair wrote Animal Farm have an intuitive superficial difference, but in actuality, there is no difference in term of what they are describing/pointing to. This is NOT talking about an objective language… far from it. It is talking about the difference between an intuitive notion and objective reality.

Strafio wrote:
However, your for doing this comes from physical/meta-physical premises, so you need to show that physics and meta-physics are important to these concepts, and to do that you need to show that our original use of them involved the contexts of physics and metaphysics.

All that needs to be shown is that the words are in some way pointing to/describing/referencing physical entities/processes (and this has been shown!).

The relationship between mind and brain is clearly physical, hence we must go beyond intuition and into objective and empirical investigation, i.e. science.

When discussing how words are USED in effective communication, our intuitive ideas are fine. But when discussing and studying WHAT these words pointing to/referring to/describing (i.e. physical processes in the brain) and HOW these processes work, we need to turn to neuroscience. To apply intuitive ideas to this discourse is an error. Absurd. It would be like discussing and studying how mutations produce genetic differences in an organism and trying to do this by turning to our intuitive language/ideas, what we think is happening, how we think it works, etc.

deludedgod wrote:
Strafio wrote:
Then you've missed the point in the conversation.

Waaay back on the third thread I challenged DeludedGod to justify the relevence that the findings of neuro-science had to the concepts of mind, what justification he had for pointing to a pattern in the brain and calling that 'desire' or something like that. In his defence he made this comment:

You keep insisting that I am using a prescribed definition of the mental states I am attempting to explain which is not necessarily the right one. But it is. Check it. The definitions we use in neuroscience are essentially the same as the ones we might use in everyday life. After all, we are trying to explain what people everyday consider to be certain mental functions, so why wouldn’t we employ the same definitions?

What DG is saying is the same as what I am saying. He is saying that the terms are the same in that our intuitive use of a term is attempting to describe the same things that science/neuroscience does describe. By doing this science/neuroscience shows that our intuitive description of X technically false in comparison to reality, which is why he talked about time… the intuitive use of ‘time’ is still talking about spacetime, only in an intuitive manner, based on what we think time is. The scientific use of ‘time’ is exactly the same in that it too is talking about spacetime, only, the scientific use is correct since it actually conforms to the object reality of spacetime.

(DG… if I have mad a mistake, please correct me)

Strafio wrote:
When you ask how "love is generated by the brain" you imply that either love is a referencial word that refers things the same way tables and chairs do, or you imply that 'generated' is a relation between physical and non-physical entities.

I am not saying ‘love’ makes reference to something in exactly the same way tables and chairs do. Tables and chairs make a direct and explicit reference, while ‘love’ makes and indirect and unconscious reference. The reference is still there, but it isn’t identical. And remember, you agreed:

Topher wrote:
They do, indirectly and unconsciously. I don’t have to consciously and explicitly make direct reference to something for the reference to be there. For instance, to use deludedgod’s example, when we talk about ‘time’, we are also talking about ‘space’, whether we like it or not, or whether we even know it. It is just a fact.

Strafio wrote:
Just teasing. I know what you're getting at here.

Strafio wrote:
You have to understand what your opponent is saying before you can call them right or wrong,

Yes. You should put that into practice! Eye-wink

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Topher wrote: So, many

Topher wrote:

Strafio wrote:
Once again you appear to be implying that there is an objectivity to language.

Topher wrote:
No! I am pointing to objective reality. In my example, objectively, both (a) and (b) are true. Whatever we think intuitively about the two statements is beside the point when it comes to objective reality.

Yes, but the statement "both (a) and (b) are true" presupposes that we have established what we are talking about. To establish what we are talking about requires us to dig into how we intuitively use words, yes?
That's been the problem with you and DeludedGod.
You both start with the pressuposition that we are talking about science. The thing is, when we put that assumption into question, you would either nakedly assert it or argue from science, as if meaning was established by science rather than vice versa.

Quote:
When it comes to effective communication, ‘correct’ use of terms are how they are defined, regardless of whether a definition is based on error, ignorance, intuition, etc.

And how do we determine what the 'correct' definition is then?

Quote:
However outside of effective communication, such as describing things specifically, in detail, technically, objectively, we need to, and we do, move beyond intuition. This is precisely why it is an error to apply intuitive ideas outside of effective communication.

THe thing is, the systems of 'objectivity' were designed to serve the same purpose as the 'everyday' uses they were built on, only serve that purpose better.
Scientific language has clearly evolved the descriptive language forward, preserving the purpose of scientific premises. However, if we want to question whether X is a scientific premise, we have to investigate the purpose of our application of X and see if that purpose is fullfilled by scientific language.

Quote:
All that needs to be shown is that the words are in some way pointing to/describing/referencing physical entities/processes (and this has been shown!).

No it hasn't.
It's been nakedly asserted or argued for using premises that already assume that words are already point some way to physical processes.
e.g. mind is temporal as in the time concept of physics

You've yet to put forward a valid argument for this and even dodged the extremely obvious arguments against it. You've contradicted yourselves by claiming that the use is based on everyday language when trying to justify it's usage, but then denying the same thing when they are difficult to reconcile.

Quote:
The relationship between mind and brain is clearly physical, hence we must go beyond intuition and into objective and empirical investigation, i.e. science.

Naked assertion or begging the question?
Either way it's invalid.

[quote[When discussing how words are USED in effective communication, our intuitive ideas are fine. But when discussing and studying WHAT these words pointing to/referring to/describing

It's the discussion of how these words are used that determines whether they even point or reference anything at all!
This seems to be a major concept of language that you are misunderstanding!

Quote:
What DG is saying is the same as what I am saying. He is saying that the terms are the same in that our intuitive use of a term is attempting to describe the same things that science/neuroscience does describe.

Yes. I know.
It's the same false assumption you've both been nakedly asserting throughout the entire thread.

Strafio wrote:
You have to understand what your opponent is saying before you can call them right or wrong,

Topher wrote:
Yes. You should put that into practice! Eye-wink

Lol! This one wasn't a dig at you.
I perhaps should have said "One has to understand what their opponent..."
So you agree that for your arguments to stand, people have to be using mental concepts to try and reference physical things. How are you going to justify your premise?

What's more, I've put forward an argument that, by our use of language, mathematical concepts are immaterial. (It's higher up on the page.)
Would you like to challenge it?

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Strafio wrote: Yes, but

Strafio wrote:
Yes, but the statement "both (a) and (b) are true" presupposes that we have established what we are talking about. To establish what we are talking about requires us to dig into how we intuitively use words, yes?

What are you talking about? Please explain youself!

The example is very simple:

George Orwell DID write Animal Farm.
Eric Arthur Blair DID write Animal Farm

Why? Because they are the same person.

So BOTH statements are true!

So technically, there is not difference between them.

Strafio wrote:
You both start with the pressuposition that we are talking about science.

But when discussing HOW the mind functions, how it is produced, how it emerges, we turn to the brain, and in doing so we’ve entered empiricism!

Furthermore, in order to study whether mind is in fact empirical, guess what, we have to enter empiricism!!

Strafio wrote:
The thing is, when we put that assumption into question, you would either nakedly assert it or argue from science, as if meaning was established by science rather than vice versa.

If I asked you HOW it works, would you head to the science section of the library, or the poetry section!?

Strafio wrote:

I just told you in the post you’ve replied to!
For instance, the notion of “time” in our social context is correct for that context; however that use of the term is an error/based on ignorance of the empirical/scientific description of time, which is how time actually is in reality.

Strafio wrote:
THe thing is, the systems of 'objectivity' were designed to serve the same purpose as the 'everyday' uses they were built on, only serve that purpose better.

Scientific language has clearly evolved the descriptive language forward, preserving the purpose of scientific premises.

The scientific description is a more technical explanation of our intuitive notion.

Strafio wrote:
However, if we want to question whether X is a scientific premise, we have to investigate the purpose of our application of X and see if that purpose is fullfilled by scientific language.

It depends on the context.

For instance, the likes of time and love have a specific purpose in our social context: effective communication. Outside that context, in our empirical/scientific context, they have a different purpose: understanding how they work/function. Bu they are the same, just on different levels.

Topher wrote:

Strafio wrote:
No it hasn't.

It's been nakedly asserted or argued for using premises that already assume that words are already point some way to physical processes.

This categorically PROVES you misunderstand our point!

We have acknowledged there are two contexts which relate to this matter: social and scientific. You on the other hand just dismiss the scientific context here outright. This shows that you think the concepts we are discussing ONLY lie in our social context, but the fact of the matter is that there are TWO contexts in which they can be looked at. We can look at love from a social perspective, or a scientific perspective. We can look at time from a social perspective, or a scientific perspective. Now read this next part twice to make sure you comprehend it: when looking at something from a scientific perspective, we NECCESARILY MUST turn to empiricism.

When studying HOW time works, do you turn to science and empiricism, or poetry and philosophy!

Strafio wrote:
You've yet to put forward a valid argument for this and even dodged the extremely obvious arguments against it. You've contradicted yourselves by claiming that the use is based on everyday language when trying to justify it's usage, but then denying the same thing when they are difficult to reconcile.

You are very very lost.

Topher wrote:

Strafio wrote:
Naked assertion or begging the question?

Either way it's invalid.

So you would deny that shooting someone in the head would damage or wipe out some or all of their mental capacity?

The fact this happens alone proves the physical relationship between them.

Strafio wrote:
It's the discussion of how these words are used that determines whether they even point or reference anything at all!

This seems to be a major concept of language that you are misunderstanding!

And you’re failing to comprehend that there is a reference whether we like it or not, whether we even are aware of it, and whether we even intend to make reference to it. The link being made is indirect, implicit, and unconscious.

Strafio wrote:
So you agree that for your arguments to stand, people have to be using mental concepts to try and reference physical things. How are you going to justify your premise?

No, this isn’t what I am saying, and this is why you are lost.

Strafio wrote:
What's more, I've put forward an argument that, by our use of language, mathematical concepts are immaterial. (It's higher up on the page.)

Would you like to challenge it?

Which shows you think abstractions implies immateriality. It does not. Todangst already more than adequately dealt with this matter. The fact that an abstraction may not refer to concrete things doesn’t not render it immaterial, since the abstraction is still produced by a material framework and thus still has a material basis.

Two aside questions:

You a materialist monist, right? So you hold that, eventually, at time point, everything can be reduced to physicality.

Also, out of interest, do you hold '€œmental states'€ and '€œthe mind'€ to be distinct?

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Topher wrote: The example

Topher wrote:
The example is very simple:

George Orwell DID write Animal Farm.
Eric Arthur Blair DID write Animal Farm

Why? Because they are the same person.

So BOTH statements are true!

Yes. But we can only come to this conclusion once we have established what both statements mean.
I don't disagree that George Orwell and Eric Arthur Blair both refer to people. This example is uncontroversial.

Quote:
And you’re failing to comprehend that there is a reference whether we like it or not, whether we even are aware of it, and whether we even intend to make reference to it. The link being made is indirect, implicit, and unconscious.

Haha! I go into a thread with two haters of linguistic philosophy and come out presented with some of the most original linguistic theories I've ever come across! To the meaning of our language is indirect, implict and unconscious? Maybe that's why my arguments haven't worked because while I thought they meant something when I was writing them, their real meaning was unconsciously beyond my grasp.

It also makes for a great counter to the "I didn't mean that" as we can say "yes you did. You meant it whether you unconsciously did or not."

However, I must raise one objection here.
If I was to claim that although you didn't consciously realise it but you'd actually spend the entire thread coming out of the closet, how would you go about disputing that?

Quote:
But when discussing HOW the mind functions, how it is produced, how it emerges, we turn to the brain, and in doing so we’ve entered empiricism!

Your question of "HOW the mind functions" reminds me of the theist question "WHY are we here". It's question begging language that pre-supposes that the mind has a functional mechanism.

Strafio wrote:

Topher wrote:
For instance, the notion of “time” in our social context is correct for that context; however that use of the term is an error/based on ignorance of the empirical/scientific description of time, which is how time actually is in reality.

Um... you didn't answer the question at all.
Rather than give a method for establishing the difference between correct usage and incorrect usage, you merely threw another naked assertion on what we mean by 'time'. Btw, Hume would disagree with you on that one. He defined the notion of time purely in terms of perceptual experience and wasn't even sure that the 'outside world' was a coherent notion. (He was famous for being skeptical about a lot of philosophical concepts.)

Quote:
It depends on the context.

For instance, the likes of time and love have a specific purpose in our social context: effective communication. Outside that context, in our empirical/scientific context, they have a different purpose: understanding how they work/function.

The thing is, 'work' and 'function' are concepts that apply to physical concepts. To apply them to 'love' requires love to already be physical. So talking about 'work' and 'function' cannot justify a leap from 'everyday' context to a 'physical context'.

You say the purpose of the physical conceptions of 'love' etc is to explain the social ones, but that doesn't really explain anything as it just creates a new, unrelated concept.

Quote:
We have acknowledged there are two contexts which relate to this matter: social and scientific. You on the other hand just dismiss the scientific context here outright. This shows that you think the concepts we are discussing ONLY lie in our social context, but the fact of the matter is that there are TWO contexts in which they can be looked at.

You've yet to justify them having a coherent use in the physical concept. You've tried to make links between the physical concept and the social one but nothing coherent. Just vague meaningless notions like "they are the same thing on different levels" which doesn't really mean anything.

If the 'social' and 'scientific' conceptions of mind are related then give a coherent relation between them. Stop using vague terms like 'produces' or 'originates' and state the issue clearly. You've not yet presented a clear relation at all.

Quote:
Now read this next part twice to make sure you comprehend it: when looking at something from a scientific perspective, we NECCESARILY MUST turn to empiricism.

Obviously! It's your premise that "we can look at mind from a scientific perspective" is where your presuppositions lie. Once you've justified that presupposition linguistically, your scientific explanations will suddenly become relevent. Until then, trying to use scientific explanations to justify using scientific explanations is circular, see?

Topher wrote:

1) I've offered an alternative relationship between mind and body that no one has refuted.
2) You've not even given a coherent account of the relationship between the mind and body. Fair enough, reductionists have done this, but in doing so they've denied the social purpose of mental states. (Interestingly enough, you've accepted the only premise of mine that contemporary reductionists would resist - from there they'd recognise that only one coherent conclusion follows!)

Quote:
So you would deny that shooting someone in the head would damage or wipe out some or all of their mental capacity?

Ofcourse not. I've given you a relationship between mental concepts and physical states. It's only your insistence that this relationship must be physical is what I deny.

Quote:
Which shows you think abstractions implies immateriality. It does not.

My premises didn't mention 'abstractions'.
It started with the obvious premises based on meaning, ontology and material and showed that language doesn't always need to refer to the material.

Quote:
Todangst already more than adequately dealt with this matter.

Todangst made the weird claim that "meaning requires ontology" and and hasn't returned to justify this.

Quote:
The fact that an abstraction may not refer to concrete things doesn’t not render it immaterial, since the abstraction is still produced by a material framework and thus still has a material basis.

Um... then I guess that God has material existence too, as does Jesus, and my laptop has double existence - once as itself and once as my idea of it...

Quote:
You a materialist monist, right? So you hold that, eventually, at time point, everything can be reduced to physicality.

Nope. Everything that 'exists' can be reduced to physicality.
That is the metaphysical position of materialism.
To say that every concept refers to something material is not metaphysics, it is philosophy of language. It should be quite obviously false to anyone who has the most basic understanding of the subject, or the most basic common sense.

All the premises I have used are ones that none of you would have objected to had I used them against a theist. Todangst, when I used my concept of ontology to explain something to a theist, you quoted it to highlight it's clarity. Now I use it in an argument against you you reject it out of hand. Nevertheless, this is all irrelvent if you justify your linguistic claim that "meaning requires ontology".

Topher. I have one last challenge for you as well.
If you are against using intuition as the backbone of your beliefs, but also have little interest in the philosophy of language, where do your premises come from? You have not read up the contemporary ideas on language so where else could your claims be coming from other than your intuition?
Before you say that I have said intuition is alright, bear in mind 2 things:
1) I said that intuition is necessary to get an explicit working out of one's implicit mastery of language. I never said it could justify random premises for the philosophy of language.
2) My position allowed, and even encouraged intuitive notions to be used as 'evidence' towards a claim. You, on the other hand, almost disallowed it's validity without question.

Another point is that it seems that you have admitted how much of your philosophy and reason depends on your linguistic premises. Seeing as your linguistic premises clash with everyone who's actually looked into the subject a little, doesn't that worry you? Should the foundations of your reason depend on presuppositions that you have no really questioned? Understandably there was no need to look at them before now - you had no reason to recognise their importance. However, in this entire argument you have been making very strong claims about language.
Many of your notions like 'abstractions' depend on your particular view of language. Don't you think it's time you took a look at the subject properly?

As always, I can recommend a book. Smiling

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Strafio wrote: Yes. But we

Strafio wrote:
Yes. But we can only come to this conclusion once we have established what both statements mean.

The statements themselves are quite clear.

Anyway, the point I am making is the conclusion is true, whether or not we know what the statements mean. So what they intuitively mean is irrelevant to the reality of the conclusion.

Strafio wrote:
To the meaning of our language is indirect, implict and unconscious? Maybe that's why my arguments haven't worked because while I thought they meant something when I was writing them, their real meaning was unconsciously beyond my grasp

Well unsurprisingly you’ve not understood what I was saying. (Your point is also a strawman since I never said is was beyond our grasp, just that we don’t intentionally or consciously make a reference, even though it is there)

I was talking about to the reference, NOT the meaning. The same reference (or object) can have multiple meanings depending on the context. For example, when we refer to time we are always making a reference of some kind to spacetime (such as direct or indirect, implicit or explicit, etc), however the meaning depends on the context. If it is communication the meaning will be intuitive based, whereas if it is scientific the meaning will be empirically based. So we have two different meanings, for the same reference. It is the reference which can be made indirectly/unconsciously.

Do you comprehend my point yet?

Strafio wrote:
Your question of "HOW the mind functions" reminds me of the theist question "WHY are we here". It's question begging language that pre-supposes that the mind has a functional mechanism.

You are just presupposing from the outset that there is not functional mechanism.

However the argument that we have been making is a posteriori. It is not an assumption, it is a conclusion.

Strafio wrote:
Um... you didn't answer the question at all.

Err…. yes, I did!

Strafio wrote:
Rather than give a method for establishing the differencebetween correct usage and incorrect usage, you merely threw another nakedassertion on what we mean by 'time'.

Firstly, it is a fact that time is spacetime. There is nosuch thing as just time.

That’s aside, I already told you how we decide whether a term is correct, youjust ignored it. The correct use of the term time depends on the context inwhich it is defined. However, objectively, our intuitive notion of time isfalse, and using this intuitive notion of time outside of communication, say,in an empirical discussion, is an error. Likewise, it would also be an error touse time in the technical scientific context in a social use of the term.

Strafio wrote:
The thing is, 'work' and 'function' areconcepts that apply to physical concepts. To apply them to 'love' requires loveto already be physical. So talking about 'work' and 'function' cannot justify aleap from 'everyday' context to a 'physical context'.

Time IS physical.
The emotion of love is physical. It is produced by physicality.

Studying HOW an emotion such as love relates to, and is produced by, the brain(clearly the brain is necessary), requires that we turn to the brain and empiricalmeans… neuroscience! That fact that this is news to you is astounding.

Strafio wrote:
You say the purpose of the physical conceptions of 'love' etc isto explain the social ones,

I’ve not said this.

Strafio wrote:
You've yet to justify them having a coherentuse in the physical concept.

Then you have a reading comprehension problem!
Deludedgod has been the only personhere to actually provide a coherent description of the concepts we have beendiscussing here and he did thisempirically! You have just begged the question that they are immaterial(due to a misunderstanding of abstractions) and then asserted this beggedquestion as evidence for immateriality.

Strafio wrote:
You've tried to make links between the physical concept and thesocial one but nothing coherent.

This is the height of irony here.

The ONLY person to provide a coherent description was deludedgod.

Not only have you failed to coherentlydescribe the concepts immaterially, you’ve failed to even describe them period!!

Strafio wrote:
Just vague meaningless notions like"they are the same thing on different levels" which doesn't reallymean anything.

Please stop. You’re embarrassing yourself!

Deludedgod’s coherent description was anything but vague or meaningless.

Meanwhile, your ASSERTION of immateriality (I say assertion since we’ve noteven seen a description from you, letalone coherent one!) cannot be more vagueor meaningless. It is simply negative, without a positive basis, i.e. apositive coherent description that does not steal from materialism.

Here is precisely your problem:
If you define it positively you steal from materialism.
If you define it solely negatively then you render it meaningless.

The solution is to say they are not immaterial, but ratherthat they are abstractions.

Strafio wrote:
Obviously! It's your premise that "wecan look at mind from a scientific perspective" is where yourpresuppositions lie.

No. This is the result of an observation, the result ofevidence.

We know the brain is necessary for mental processes, experiences, sensations,etc. This suggests the brain is paramount, thus from here we study how the brain is relevant, and exactlywhat it does vis-à-vis the mental. Doing so necessarily entails empiricism. Soit is not merely “a presupposition”.

Strafio wrote:
1) I've offered an alternative relationship between mind andbody that no one has refuted.

No. You. Haven’t.
a) You just begged the question and then asserted this begged question asevidence!
b) You’ve not even provided any positive explanation for your immaterial mind!

Here is precisely your problem:
If you define it positively you steal from materialism.
If you define it solely negatively then you render it meaningless.

The solution is to say they are not immaterial, but ratherthat they are abstractions.

Strafio wrote:
2) You've not even given a coherent accountof the relationship between the mind and body.

Yes, we have!
You just ignore it, or just whinge about our evidence being empirical, which ismust be. Deluedgod has already outlined how and why you’re completely lost.

Strafio wrote:
Fair enough, reductionists have done this, but in doing sothey've denied the social purpose of mental states. (Interestingly enough,you've accepted the only premise of mine that contemporary reductionists wouldresist - from there they'd recognise that only one coherent conclusionfollows!)

No, this is eliminitivism.

Reductionists do not reject social uses of terms; they just hold them asabstraction, with a lower ontological status.

Strafio wrote:
If you are against using intuition as thebackbone of your beliefs,

I never said this. I think intuition is needed in our social situations and foreffective communication.

Strafio wrote:
but also have little interest in the philosophy of language,

I never said I wasn’t interest in philosophy of language. I think it isincredibly important. What I actually said what that I disagree withWittgenstein’s main premise regarding language – that there were no such thingas philosophical problems, only misuses in language.

Strafio wrote:
where do your premises come from?

It depends on the situation.

For instance, I think the mind-body problem is ultimately anempirical issue. This is not an assumption; this is what the evidence has ledme to.

Strafio wrote:
You have not read up the contemporary ideas on language

Well this is baseless accusation.
While I’ve not read many books on the philosophy of language, I have read a lotof stuff on it elsewhere.

Strafio wrote:
2) My position allowed, and even encouraged intuitive notions tobe used as 'evidence' towards a claim. You, on the other hand, almostdisallowed it's validity without question.

Because intuition is unreliable, and almost always can bedemonstrated to be dead wrong. It is fine for effective social communicationand interpersonal interaction, but it isn’t outside this context. At best, it may in some cases be a starting point,but never evidence.

Strafio wrote:
Should the foundations of your reason depend on presuppositionsthat you have no really questioned?

Ad hominem strawman!
What you think are presuppositions onmy part, are actually a posteriori!

My premise is that the brain is fundamental and necessary to the mind (and you agree to this).

In order to understand and discover HOW the brain works, and HOW the mind relates to the brain, we must, obviously, study the brain.

The arguments that I have been making are the results of such studies and evidence.

Socrastein
Socrastein's picture
User is offlineOffline
Topher

Topher

Answer me this. How would you account for the fact that the word love has been used meaningfully for hundreds of years, long before neuroscience was around, and even before people knew what the brain was for?

Obviously people weren't defining the word with regard to brain states and oxytocin levels. You agree?

Would you say rather that they were indirectly referencing brain states, even though they didn't know it? If so, then wouldn't it follow that people wouldn't be able to coherently understand a word that was somehow referencing things they weren't yet aware of? Would you argue the absurd conclusion that the word only truly made sense when neuroscience came around and we all said "So that's what we meant the whole time!"

You said that you've read up on your philosophy of language, I imagine through articles and the like since you said you don't read a lot of books on the subject.

So, tell me Topher, under what theory of language can words be defined outside of what people mean by them? That seems to be what you're doing here. For a long time, love was used to describe a certain type of behavior between people or things. Would you argue that love "really" referred to physical states in our brain? This of course would contradict your vehemont denial that there is any objective standard of language.

So you're either forced to admit that there is an objective standard of language, and love has always had a "true" meaning that we just weren't yet aware of until neuroscience came along, OR you're forced to argue that neuroscience changed our definition of love.

To which I would ask, why would we need to change the meaning of a word that we have already been using meaningfully for thousands of years? You surely won't say "Because we were using the word wrong" because you would again be forced to contradict your earlier admission that language is not defined objectively.

I think that if you read, and reread, and then read once more for good measure, these questions I've asked, you'll quickly see the absurdity your position is reduced to.

You can only reconcile your current arguments for how love, and mind, and desire, and other related words are used with the fact that they were used a different way, meaningfully, long before neuroscience, by drawing ridiculous conclusions or resorting to ridiculous explanations.

Please do me a favor. Don't cut and paste my post one sentence at a time. Read the whole thing, think about it a bit, read it again and try to understand it as a whole. Then, without even quoting me once, simply explain to me how you reconcile the differences between the way these words were always used, and how you say they should be used now.

If you can do that without making an ass of yourself, I'll be thoroughly impressed Eye-wink

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Socrastein wrote: Answer

Socrastein wrote:
Answer me this. How would you account for the fact that the word love has been used meaningfully for hundreds of years, long before neuroscience was around, and even before people knew what the brain was for?

I do not say one is making a DIRECT, EXPLICIT or CONSCIOUS reference or description.

If, in reality, X is the same as Y, then talking of X will imply Y. So for instance, “time” is the same as “spacetime”, hence talking of time also means we are talking of spacetime. Thus the reference exists whether we like it or not, whether we even are aware of it, and whether we even intend to make reference to it.

The term love is used in many ways in everyday life... love for a partner, love for a child, a pet, a film or book, etc, but, objectively, in reality, all these emotions originate in the brain itself, they require the brain, hence there is a link between them. When someone talks of love they are not talking about a banana, they are trying to express an emotion, an emotion which originates in the brain. They are describing a feeling which is being produced by their brain, even if they are not explicitly intending to do or, or even if they are not even aware this is the case.

Socrastein wrote:
Obviously people weren't defining the word with regard to brain states and oxytocin levels. You agree?

Obviously, people also never defined the likes of consciousness, identity, personality or intellect as being from the brain, they defined it as being in a soul, housed by the heart. But this doesn’t change the fact that in reality, whenever someone talked about intellect they were creating a link to the brain (again, whether they were even aware of it)

Socrastein wrote:
Would you say rather that they were indirectly referencing brain states, even though they didn't know it? If so, then wouldn't it follow that people wouldn't be able to coherently understand a word that was somehow referencing things they weren't yet aware of? Would you argue the absurd conclusion that the word only truly made sense when neuroscience came around and we all said "So that's what we meant the whole time!"

This is a strawman. NOWHERE have I argued that a word only makes sense once it has been explained scientifically. Of course, something will only make sense in a scientific context once it has been explained scientifically, but in a social context, in effective communication, the meaning and coherence is down to use, intersubjectivity.

You’re also conflating meaning and reference in your post.

The meaning does NOT require that we are aware of the reference or relationship between the idea and the object as it is in reality. In fact, one reference (or object) can have multiple meanings because the meaning is down to use in a culture and intersubjectivity, intuition, etc. For example, when we refer to time we are always making a reference of some kind to spacetime (direct or indirect, implicit or explicit, etc), however the meaning depends on the context. If it is communication the meaning will be intuitive based, whereas if it is scientific the meaning will be empirically based. So we have two different meanings, for the same reference/object.

Now socially, we will have intersubjective, intuitive, and commonsense ideas and definitions which we have become accustomed to. These may be due to ignorance or error for instance, but since they work socially, in effective communication, they have a purpose (although they might not directly/explicitly conform to reality). They may be “leftovers” from previous uses of language, which is to say, we had a previous intuitive/naive idea, which have largely done away with, such as a soul, but the meaning of it has stayed albeit metaphorically, or, to used deludedgod’s example, people used to intuitively think the sun revolved around the earth, and we would say the “the run rises” but know we all know the sun doesn’t revolve around the earth, but the phrase “the run rises” has remained, metaphorically.

Deludedgod – “Anyway, the point I am trying to make is that our everday use of language is riddled with inaccuracies due to our intuitive bias. These remain uncorrected even when we subconsciously acknowledge their falsehood. For example, nobody believes the sun rotates around the earth, yet the phrase "the sun rises" is still common.”

So, the meaning and the reality of what we as describing is different. Something can be technically false in reality, but still have meaning social, such as the above example of the “sun rising”.

The rest of your post just continued to conflate these two issues (along with adding in some strawmen) – just because I mention objective reality, such as love being brain states, or time being spacetime, or the soul not being the seat of intellect, or whatever, it does not mean I am talking about an objective language. The language, the ideas, the meaning, these are all down to intersubjective use, etc. What the language may be describing is what is objective. So, the term love can have multiple meanings, but the object of love (the brain activity) is objective. And understanding the object of love (how it is produced/works in the brain) does not negate the social meaning, nor, as it has been shown, does it necessarily cause us to change our terms or phrases, so your saying that we would be forced to change our thousand year old meanings is therefore a strawman, since no one is arguing this. And as I said on the first or second page, even if we could eliminate terms (as eliminativists propose) I don’t think we should since our terms are important in socially, for effective communication.

Please understand my point. Your latest post was filled with misunderstandings and strawmen of my point.

Oh, and as for quoting you, I actually like to capture the comment/claim being made in order to directly respond to it and show you exactly what the error is.

Socrastein
Socrastein's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, and as for quoting you,

Oh, and as for quoting you, I actually like to capture the comment/claim being made in order to directly respond to it and show you exactly what the error is.

Of course you do. Which is why, once again, you missed the point of my post, you sniped little bits of it and called them strawmen, which is confusing, since I didn't once tell you what you were saying, I simply said IF you were saying X, then you would have to conclude Y, which is clearly false.

The meaning does NOT require that we are aware of the reference or relationship between the idea and the object as it is in reality. --You

I do not say one is making a DIRECT, EXPLICIT or CONSCIOUS reference or description. --You

And here we are at last. You say that we can define and understand words that refer to things that we are not aware of.  

So, before I proceed and before you accuse me of straw manning your argument, let me clarify.

You are indeed saying that before neuroscience, love was a word that indirectly and unconciously referred to something that nobody was yet aware of?