If this proof has been shown already I apologise . . .

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
If this proof has been shown already I apologise . . .

Here is logical proof that the (Born Again) Christian Faith is totally illogical

1) Jesus is perfect

2) Man is imperfect

3) Jesus saved man

a) Was moved to action by imperfection    

4) A perfect being is moved to action by imperfection 1), 2), 3)a)

5) Before there was the universe and time there was God

6) God created the Universe and time

a) God was moved to action

7) There must have been an imperfection before there was time and the universe

8 ) There was only God before time and the universe  5)

9) The imperfection must have been in God

10) Jesus is God

11) 9) is true only if 1) is true

12) 10) makes 1) false

13) total logical breakdown

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

qbg
User is offlineOffline
How do you arrive at 7?

How do you arrive at 7?

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
qbg wrote: How do you

qbg wrote:
How do you arrive at 7?

Premise 4).  My bad Smiling

gsaman
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Misconceptions

I think you are not well informed on the Christian faith.  You assume that because man's current state is "imperfection" that that is also his natural state (how he was created).  This is false, our imperfection is a result of our choices not how we were meant to be origianlly. Jesus' perfection is an example of how man was meant to be.

gsaman
Theist
User is offlineOffline
God is imperfect

The other misunderstanding you have is that since man is imperfect that means God is imperfect. This again is not true; if a parent allows a child the freedom to choose right and wrong is the parent a liar if the child chooses to lie? No. God gave us the freedom to choose: we chose poorly. This poor choice was due to a true freedom to decide between right and wrong. Would you have preferred God made us as robots with no ability to choose?

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, gsaman. When you

Welcome, gsaman.

When you get a chance, we'd appreciate it if you'd hop over to the General Conversation, Introductions and Humor forum and introduce yourself.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

gsaman
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Making our own way

"What right have you to condemn a murderer if you assume him necessary to "God's plan"? What logic can command the return of stolen property, or the branding of a thief, if the Almighty decreed it?"

Why would you assume a murderer is necessary to God's plan?

How can you condemn a murderer if there is not moral basis on which to claim murder is wrong? 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
gsaman wrote:   The other

gsaman wrote:

The other misunderstanding you have is that since man is imperfect that niceties God being imperfect. This again is not true; if a parent allows a child the freedom to choose right and wrong is the parent a liar if the child chooses to lie? No. God gave us the freedom to choose: we chose poorly. This poor choice was due to a true freedom to decide between right and wrong. Would you have preferred God made us as robots with no ability to choose?

This doesn't present a problem for you? If this god you believe in is all knowing there is no 'free choice'. Everything is predetermined and knowable therefore omniscience is possible and this negates this free will you think the 'lord' has bestowed upon us. 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
gsaman wrote: How can you

gsaman wrote:

How can you condemn a murderer if there is not moral basis on which to claim murder is wrong?

Gsaman.  Please read through the forums a bit before asking that question and assuming non-theists have no morals.  You might start by clicking on the link on the left side of the page called "Rational Content".  

One essay in particular you should read can be found here.  

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Define perfect. To me, this

Define perfect. To me, this is a meaningless idea. It is some strange , inaccesible abstraction. It is as ill-defined and incomprehensible as omnicient and omnipotent. Applying such an absolute attribute to anything will result iin contradictions and paradoxes.

Fish
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog wrote: qbg

illeatyourdog wrote:

qbg wrote:
How do you arrive at 7?

Premise 4). My bad Smiling

Wouldn't you need to show that a perfect being can ONLY be moved to action by imperfection?

If a perfect being could also be moved to action by perfection, then god could have moved itself, so to speak.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fish wrote: illeatyourdog

Fish wrote:
illeatyourdog wrote:

qbg wrote:
How do you arrive at 7?

Premise 4). My bad Smiling

Wouldn't you need to show that a perfect being can ONLY be moved to action by imperfection?

If a perfect being could also be moved to action by perfection, then god could have moved itself, so to speak.

Very true.  I did kinda skip a step there.  The best I can do is reference aquinas for how I am using the term "perfect".  One of his examples to explain perfection is that one who has poor health (imperfect health) needs "help" (through various means like anti0biotics or even basic excercise) to be healthy.  One with perfect health needs no such "help" to be healthy.  From this (i concede to stretch a bit here), it can be said that for something to be moved to action there must be an imperfection since one with "imperfect" health is moved to excersise and take anti-biotics (hence action) becuase of an imperfection.  One with perfect health however (assuming that one with perfect health does not have to maintain one's health; which, might be what Aquinas was hinting at) is not moved to exercise or take anti0biotics becuase there is no need to do so.

Of course, that it but just one area of perfection.  When (Born Again) Christians say God or Jesus is perfect, they mean he is perfect in everyway possible, thus, going with Aquinas example of perfection, there would be no need to do anything if one is perfect in every way possible. 

Going back to Jesus, he is a possible counter arguement to the claim that one who is perfect in everyway need not do anything since Christians hold that he too is perfect in everyway yet was moved to action (with his various miracles and being crucified).  The reason why he did these things though was to save mankind (mankind, christians hold being imperfect).  So while Jesus was not neccessarily imperfect himself, there was and imperfection elsewhere i.e. mankind that he tried to bring (back) to perfection.  Essentially, what is moving this perfect being, Jesus, is an imperfection of some sort.  This is the only clear example of a basis, within the BIble text, for a perfect being being moved to action.  The genesis story just states God create everything and does not give a reason as to why (if I am incorrect with this statement I apologise), in fact, after creation, the one thing that moved God into action, banishing Adam and Eve from Eden, was man's imperfection again.

So unless a Christian can provide an explanation as to why a perfect being would be moved to action without some sort of imperfection being present, it seems that a perfect being can only be moved to action if there is an imperfection present somewhere.

I tried to be clear and succint but I understand if its hard to follow Smiling 

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: Define

wavefreak wrote:
Define perfect. To me, this is a meaningless idea. It is some strange , inaccesible abstraction. It is as ill-defined and incomprehensible as omnicient and omnipotent. Applying such an absolute attribute to anything will result iin contradictions and paradoxes.

What type of deity do you beleive in if you don't mind me asking?

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
gsaman wrote: I think you

gsaman wrote:
I think you are not well informed on the Christian faith.  You assume that because man's current state is "imperfection" that that is also his natural state (how he was created).  This is false, our imperfection is a result of our choices not how we were meant to be origianlly. Jesus' perfection is an example of how man was meant to be.

I didn't say it was our natural state.  I meant that state of mankind at the time of Jesus was imperfect.  I'm sorry for being unclear about that.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
gsaman wrote:   The other

gsaman wrote:

The other misunderstanding you have is that since man is imperfect that means God is imperfect. This again is not true; if a parent allows a child the freedom to choose right and wrong is the parent a liar if the child chooses to lie? No. God gave us the freedom to choose: we chose poorly. This poor choice was due to a true freedom to decide between right and wrong. Would you have preferred God made us as robots with no ability to choose?

That is not what I am saying at all.  I merely tried to make the case that perfection is only moved to action if there is an imperfection.  If you disagree with that premise feel free to explain how it is in error. 

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Forgive me if someone

Forgive me if someone already pointed this out, but I'm feeling very little patience right now, so I didn't read all the replies.

There are multiple errors in your proof.

Quote:

1) Jesus is perfect

2) Man is imperfect

3) Jesus saved man

a) Was moved to action by imperfection

You're fine through here.

Quote:
4) A perfect being is moved to action by imperfection 1), 2), 3)a)

This proves only that a perfect being can be moved by imperfection. It does not prove that only imperfection can move a perfect being. Unless you demonstrate that perfection cannot move a perfect being, 4 is not a valid conclusion.

Quote:
7) There must have been an imperfection before there was time and the universe

Therefore, this is an invalid conclusion.

Quote:
8 ) There was only God before time and the universe 5)

This doesn't follow from 5.

5 says there was god. It does not imply that there was only god.

The whole thing's pretty much shot after that.

Sorry to bust your balls on it, but you know those damned theists are sticklers for detail in other people's arguments.

(Only in other people's arguments, of course... but they are sticklers!)

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Forgive me if

Quote:
Forgive me if someone already pointed this out, but I'm feeling very little patience right now, so I didn't read all the replies.

There are multiple errors in your proof.

I figured there was.  The arguement came together too quickly for it to be fool proof. 

Quote:
This proves only that a perfect being can be moved by imperfection. It does not prove that only imperfection can move a perfect being. Unless you demonstrate that perfection cannot move a perfect being, 4 is not a valid conclusion.

That seems to be the consensus.  I am trying to firgure out how to make it the case that perfection can only be moved by perfection.

Quote:
5 says there was god. It does not imply that there was only god.

Born Agains make it clear that there was only God before the universe was created.  Which is why I have Born Again in parenthesis in the introduction to the arguement. 

Quote:
Sorry to bust your balls on it, but you know those damned theists are sticklers for detail in other people's arguments.

(Only in other people's arguments, of course... but they are sticklers!)

No problem man.  This is exactly what I wanted.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog

illeatyourdog wrote:

wavefreak wrote:

What type of deity do you beleive in if you don't mind me asking?

LOL. The million dollar question. Sort of a pantheistic thingy. I'm content to disallow the existence of the supernatural. Absolute concepts like perfection, omniscient and omnipotent are either incoherent or beyond the capacity of our language to adequately grasp. I am also content with my irrationality. It is part of the human condition and rather than deny its influence on my perceptions of reality, I prefer a more balanced approach. Any deity I conceive of is not necessarily bound by my conceptualizations of right and wrong. For instance, if god decided that the world would be better off without humans, then it is within his/her prerogative to eliminate us. Heaven is simply where god resides. Hell? Maybe where god can cannot be? It's a little zen like - anti-rational if you will.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Born Agains make it

Quote:
Born Agains make it clear that there was only God before the universe was created.  Which is why I have Born Again in parenthesis in the introduction to the arguement.

Oddly enough, the bible itself isn't clear.

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

This doesn't rule out something else existing with god.

26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, [b] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

In fact, despite the insistence of Christians, this verse does not specifically mention Jesus or the Holy Spirit.  There is clearly the possibility of some other being which was not god.

Furthermore, the fact that god speaks to this other entity gives credence to the theory that they are not the same.  I know, Jesus talks to god while he's on earth, but that only proves that while on earth, Jesus felt the need to do so.  It says nothing of his state before creation, and cannot strictly be used as evidence.

In fact.... check this out:

29 Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

God said... I GIVE.  Not, WE GIVE.

Hmmmm....

Further distinction between this We and I.  Why would Jesus and the Holy spirit be uninterested in participating in this giving process?  How is it possible for one part of God to give something while another withholds?

So, if you're going to go this route, I'd say you have a long row to hoe.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
NOTE TO THEISTS: Please

NOTE TO THEISTS:

Please don't argue with what I just wrote.  I don't believe in your silly little book, and I don't argue biblical errancy.  I don't care to argue it.  I loathe arguing it.  I am of the opinion that if you think the bible is inerrant, the only thing that will help you is some lithium -- definitely not arguing with me about whether or not the bible is errant.

I wrote the above post to help the OP understand the flaws in his argument so that next time he runs into one of you theists, he can whomp all over your silly theories.

Clear?

Books about atheism

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: LOL. The million

Quote:
LOL. The million dollar question. Sort of a pantheistic thingy. I'm content to disallow the existence of the supernatural. Absolute concepts like perfection, omniscient and omnipotent are either incoherent or beyond the capacity of our language to adequately grasp. I am also content with my irrationality. It is part of the human condition and rather than deny its influence on my perceptions of reality, I prefer a more balanced approach. Any deity I conceive of is not necessarily bound by my conceptualizations of right and wrong. For instance, if god decided that the world would be better off without humans, then it is within his/her prerogative to eliminate us. Heaven is simply where god resides. Hell? Maybe where god can cannot be? It's a little zen like - anti-rational if you will.

Ahh, k.  Then this proof does not neccessarily apply to your beleif Smiling 

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Quote: Oddly enough,

Quote:
Oddly enough, the bible itself isn't clear.

Which is why I am going off Christian, mainly Born Agains, interepretations of the Bible.  That is where the majority of my premises come from.  Every Born agian I have talked to agree that Jesus is perfect, man is imperfect (or at least man in the time of Jesus was imperfect), and that before there was the universe and time (i admit that saying God was before time is a little weird to me as is saying he was there when there was nothing) there was God and God created the world.  Of course, the only explanation they give as to what they mean by "perfect" is that God/Jesus is "sinless" which is not really applicable to anything since sin itself is a cloudy issue, which is probably why I should specify that when I use "perfect" I am referring to Aquinas' conception of what perfect is which is simplicity.  Since you don't have the patience to read previous posts I will explain his conception of perfection.  Aquinas uses the example of health.  One with imperfect health needs "help" in order to get healthy.  For example, if someone has a broken leg, first they need pain killers (unless they are really tough bastards), but they also need to make sure their bones will heal correctly with the use of a cast and then they need to take anti-biotics in order to keep inffection from occuring.  Clearly, this complicates dramtically in order to regain health (heal the leg).  ONe who does not have a broken leg does not need any of those things since, the leg is in perfect health, thus no complication.  If want to apply this notion of perfection as simplicity, an all-perfect being creating an entire universe would needlessly complicate things menaing it would make mroe sense for an all-perfect being to not create anything at all since that is not only simpler but maintian the simplicity.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOL... My patience is much

LOL...

My patience is much thicker than it was last night.  I was just tired of dealing with piss pots, and felt like your post deserved an answer.  I just didn't want to read any more pissy responses.

I understand Aquinas pretty well, and I don't particularly disagree with your assessment of fundy beliefs.

Unfortunately, what I've been dealing with for at least 10 years is the "ever-shifting double-standard shell-game."  In other words, when you argue with a theist, they will hold you to different standards than they hold themselves.

Your argument is pretty good rhetoric, and if you fix a couple of obvious non-sequiturs, it will be a good verbal argument.  It's not going to go far as a logical proof since all the premises are fluid, and unprovable.

My suggestion is to give up the idea of a logical proof and work on a short essay showing the necessary conclusion of a specific set of beliefs.  If you do that, the theists will either have to disprove your point while adhering to their beliefs, or admit that their beliefs aren't what they say they are.

Books about atheism

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Quote: I understand

Quote:
I understand Aquinas pretty well

So did I paraphrase him pretty well or kinda got the idea but what was a little off? 

Quote:
Unfortunately, what I've been dealing with for at least 10 years is the "ever-shifting double-standard shell-game."  In other words, when you argue with a theist, they will hold you to different standards than they hold themselves.

Yeah.  Thats why I am trying to use premises they adhere to so they can't say "No, that is not what I am saying."

Quote:
Your argument is pretty good rhetoric, and if you fix a couple of obvious non-sequiturs, it will be a good verbal argument.

Like skipping to perfection is only moved to action by imperfection? 

Quote:
My suggestion is to give up the idea of a logical proof and work on a short essay showing the necessary conclusion of a specific set of beliefs.  If you do that, the theists will either have to disprove your point while adhering to their beliefs, or admit that their beliefs aren't what they say they are.

If it can get them to explain what the hell they mean by an "All-perfect" being, I would be happy.

lpetrich
lpetrich's picture
User is offlineOffline
A common counterargument to

A common counterargument to the OP is that Jesus Christ had been sinless.

Except that he is depicted as having done several things that are often considered sins, as I have described in detail in:

I evaluated him by:

• The Medieval Catholic Seven Deadly Sins
  • The Exod 20 / Deut 5 version of the 10 Commandments
  • The Exod 23 version of the 10 Commandments
  • The Buddha's Five Moral Rules 
  • The ancient Athenian leader Solon's 10 Commandments
  • The Negative Confessions of the Papyrus of Ani

finding him guilty of numerous violations of them, and I noted what Bertrand Russell had said about him in Why I Am Not a Christian. I also noticed that he did not quite practice what he preached, like forbidding anger and then foaming at the mouth, and that he wanted to have it both ways about the Old Testament Law, claiming to believe in all of it while revoking some of it. 

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
lpetrich wrote: A common

lpetrich wrote:

A common counterargument to the OP is that Jesus Christ had been sinless.

Except that he is depicted as having done several things that are often considered sins, as I have described in detail in:

I evaluated him by:

• The Medieval Catholic Seven Deadly Sins
  • The Exod 20 / Deut 5 version of the 10 Commandments
  • The Exod 23 version of the 10 Commandments
  • The Buddha's Five Moral Rules 
  • The ancient Athenian leader Solon's 10 Commandments
  • The Negative Confessions of the Papyrus of Ani

finding him guilty of numerous violations of them, and I noted what Bertrand Russell had said about him in Why I Am Not a Christian. I also noticed that he did not quite practice what he preached, like forbidding anger and then foaming at the mouth, and that he wanted to have it both ways about the Old Testament Law, claiming to believe in all of it while revoking some of it. 

The type of Christian THiests this arguement applies to also hold that Catholics are not Christians, that the more commonly used Commandments (from the movie Ten COmmandments) are the true commandments, and that Jesus "reinterpretated" the jewish law rather than changed it.  They also hold that the original Ten COmmandments, and possibly the other commandments, were only to be applied to the Jewish Tribes and are not to be applied to Modern Day Christians.  As far as BUddhists go, they hold that they are going to hell becuase they do not worship God, thus, they do not put much value in what BUddha has to say.  Also,

in terms of Jesus' "sinless nature", they will also argue that since Jesus is God, he can go against the commandments since they are his and since he is all-good, he can break them out of goodness whereas a man cannot becuase man are imperfect

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
OMG Illeatyourdog! If

OMG Illeatyourdog!

If something seemed weird about your last repost, or you did something repeatedly, don't do it again!

I just erased 47 reposts that were exactly the same, except for adding one word to each one.

I have never seen that before.  If you just posted, and hit submit once, I have no idea what happened.  If you did something repeatedly, well, be chill!

LOL, that was not fun!

Anyway, yes... the nonsequitur you mentioned is the main one I was talking about.

Books about atheism

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
[quote]OMG Illeatyourdog!If

Quote:

If something seemed weird about your last repost, or you did something repeatedly, don't do it again!

I so have no idea what you are talking about man.  HOnestly.  I only clicked "post comment" once.    

Quote:
Anyway, yes... the nonsequitur you mentioned is the main one I was talking about.

Any suggestions on making it prosequitur? Sticking out tongue

Tankalish
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I think the breakdown in

I think the breakdown in your arguement is in 3a, perrdy much cause it's fallacious to claim that Jesus was moved to action by imperfection. Instead his motivation for action is his love for humanity, and his love for his father in heaven. These two things hardly equate imperction. Instead 3a would have to state "was moved to act by love", in which case God, before time and the universe, chose to act from love in creating the world.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
tankalish wrote: Instead 3a

tankalish wrote:
Instead 3a would have to state "was moved to act by love", in which case God, before time and the universe, chose to act from love in creating the world.

So let me ask you this then.  If Adam maintained his sinlessness by not eating from the tree would Jesus even be neccessary?

Tankalish
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I'm gonna say no,

I'm gonna say no, especially with Paul's treatment of that in Romans. He says that the sin of one man is rectified by the death of one just man, namely Jesus. If man was never alienated from God, if there was no fall, then there would be nothing necessitating redemption.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Exactly.  Perfection would

Exactly.  Perfection would have remained, thus no need to fix what was not broken.  So the example you give of Perfection "acting out of love" also relies on there being an imperfection i.e. "sin of one man".  And, feel free to correct me, this is the only part of the Bible that actually gives a full explanation of the motives of God's actions and what led to God's actions in regards to what moves God, a perfect being, into action.  TO my reccolection, no such thoroughness of motives was presented in Genesis as to why God created the world (or universe).  It just stated that God did and "all was good".  Now, if the best example, within the text, that explains how and why God acts involves both love and an imperfection, it strongly suggests that perfection, even when acting out of love, is also acting to eliminate an imperfection or at least provide a way for that imperfection to dissappear.  Now how can this not apply to God before creation?

Tankalish
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I don't think that holds

I don't think that holds up. I don't make a sandwich because I have sandwich making supplies. I make a sandwich because I'm hungry. While I have sandwich making supplies I could also go to the pool. Just because creation was fallen in no way means God only acts to fix imperfection. It simply displays how love reacts to imperfection, by trying to fix it. You can't equate the two scenarios.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
1) Comparing sandwich making

1) Comparing sandwich making to creating the universe from nothing is a really poor anology.  There are two reasons why someone would make a sandiwch: a) one is hungry b) one is bored.  a) cannot be applied to God since he does not have human drives such as hunger that would guide his action.  b) would imply that God really had nothing better to do than to create the universe which makes the creation event less meaningful. 2) Creation was not always fallen.  The time between the creation of life and the eating of the apple, creation was in perfect harmony.  As many Christians like saying "God did not create sin, man chose sin".  Furthermore, to maintain that creation was always fallen would mean that God intentionally created an imperfect universe which would make one wonder if the act was out of love.