A View Point

HunterRose
User is offlineOffline
A View Point

(before I get started I apologize if this is in the wrong section, if it is, please move it to the right one, I thought this one would be the best forum)

Ok my view point, my view point about Atheism and Theism: any -ism can lead to the down fall.  To be in an -ism is to claim that you are dominant over any other -ism.  I do not want to be an -ist, I don't want to be on one side of the wall (Although I freely admit I do not believe in the supernatural, I do not plan on joining under the atheist mantra).  I have read many wars, and I have seen that its not only the religions of the world that cause the wars, its also -isms.

I think a quote from the South Park episode "Go God Go XII" (And really both episodes) is pretty accurate of what I believe

Shvek:    Atheism? No. We've learned to get rid of all the isms in our time.
Medic:    Yes. Long ago we realized isms are great for those who are rational, but in the hands of irrational people, isms always lead to violence.
Blavius: Of course there's war.

We humans are irrational beings, while we are also rational, we will always lead ourselves to violence, I am not an athiest, I am not a theist, I am a single person.

Thanks for reading.

Mordagar
RRS local affiliateSuperfan
Mordagar's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ah....so you are an

Ah....so you are an individualist? Seriously though, I admire your opinion. I was getting South Park vibes before I ever got to the conclusion. Thanks for posting it.

"The idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I am unable to take seriously." [Albert Einstein, letter to Hoffman and Dukas, 1946]

HunterRose
User is offlineOffline
I had this opinion for a

I had this opinion for a long time, I just saw the south park episodes today, but yeah essentially I am an individualist, but then again its kind of a paradox to call me an individualist, if I do not agree with the -ism, but if I were to label myself I guess I would consider myself anti-ism (Cause I am against isms I guess)

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
HunterRose wrote: (before I

HunterRose wrote:
(before I get started I apologize if this is in the wrong section, if it is, please move it to the right one, I thought this one would be the best forum)

Ok my view point, my view point about Atheism and Theism: any -ism can lead to the down fall. To be in an -ism is to claim that you are dominant over any other -ism. I do not want to be an -ist, I don't want to be on one side of the wall (Although I freely admit I do not believe in the supernatural, I do not plan on joining under the atheist mantra).

You may not WANT to be on one side of the wall or the other, but you are (we all are), and you realize it as such.

It's not a big deal, really. 

Quote:
I have read many wars, and I have seen that its not only the religions of the world that cause the wars, its also -isms.

I think a quote from the South Park episode "Go God Go XII" (And really both episodes) is pretty accurate of what I believe

Shvek: Atheism? No. We've learned to get rid of all the isms in our time.
Medic: Yes. Long ago we realized isms are great for those who are rational, but in the hands of irrational people, isms always lead to violence.

We humans are irrational beings, while we are also rational, we will always lead ourselves to violence, I am not an athiest, I am not a theist, I am a single person.

Thanks for reading.

I understand the sentiment, but I don't think it is so cut and dried. Being honest about your beliefs does not mean you are being an asshole or intolerant about the beliefs of others - let alone violent. In fact, it's when people STOP talking and arguing that they pick up weapons.

If one wishes to not participate in the conversation, they can simply bow out. Others are more vocal, and believe conflicts are resolved by disagreement and dialouge, rather that pretending we have nothing to argue about.

Personally, I think the more heated the debate is, the more progress we stand to make. 

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

HunterRose
User is offlineOffline
Yellow_Number_Five

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:

HunterRose wrote:

Ok my view point, my view point about Atheism and Theism: any -ism can lead to the down fall. To be in an -ism is to claim that you are dominant over any other -ism. I do not want to be an -ist, I don't want to be on one side of the wall (Although I freely admit I do not believe in the supernatural, I do not plan on joining under the atheist mantra).

You may not WANT to be on one side of the wall or the other, but you are (we all are), and you realize it as such.

It's not a big deal, really

To me it is, because when you do go onto one side or the other you are gonna end up calling the other side wrong, I am not gonna say who is wrong or right, so I am continuing to sit happily on the wall. 

Quote:
I have read many wars, and I have seen that its not only the religions of the world that cause the wars, its also -isms.

Shvek: Atheism? No. We've learned to get rid of all the isms in our time.
Medic: Yes. Long ago we realized isms are great for those who are rational, but in the hands of irrational people, isms always lead to violence.

Thanks for reading.

I understand the sentiment, but I don't think it is so cut and dried. Being honest about your beliefs does not mean you are being an asshole or intolerant about the beliefs of others - let alone violent. In fact, it's when people STOP talking and arguing that they pick up weapons.

Or when people disagree to the point that they get angry and fists are thrown

Quote:
If one wishes to not participate in the conversation, they can simply bow out. Others are more vocal, and believe conflicts are resolved by disagreement and dialouge, rather that pretending we have nothing to argue about.
  This would be all well and good if we were rational beings, but since we are irrational beings, humans as irrational beings, seem to strive most on conflict, why add -isms to the list of conflicts we humans seem to love?

Quote:
Personally, I think the more heated the debate is, the more progress we stand to make
Except of course when either side is not willing to give in.

But my point is this: As Irrational beings, we are always going to fight, to kill each other, -isms, in of themselves, are just a fuel to the fire of our need for conflict.  -isms, whether Theism, or Atheism, its gonna be another form of -ism conflict.  If we were to remove the -isms from our lifes there would be less conflict (Though there would still be wars, because, we humans are also blood-thirsty animals)