"We can't logically show that there is an outside word or that the sun will rise tomorrow..."

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
"We can't logically show that there is an outside word or that the sun will rise tomorrow..."

I came across this statement recently. What logical fallacy is it making? It seems to be arguing from inductive uncertainty, although for this fallacy to apply does it require the person to go on to reject the proposition, rather than simply saying it cannot be logically proven.

The same person also wrote the following:

Quote:
My skepticism is not of the outside world, but of the role of logic in finding truth. At the most fundamental level, the outside world existing is logically no more justifiable than God's existence. That doesn't mean that they are equally true, or that an intelligent person should conclude that they are equally true. In deciding which is true, however, we must rely on our intuition and instincts, although that is not to say we should not think carefully about the matter. Even if I say that Christians have "the burden of proof" and that "occam's razor disproves creation", I am not really pointing to something I know to be logically true, but really to something that I feel intuitively to be true.

There seems something wrong about that line of thinking. It seems to imply that we ultimatly rely on our intuitiion/instincts.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
yeah k, I think? We are

yeah k,"He commits the crime he imputes."  .... I think? 

We are all Equivocation-ists!    Geezzz, one must be a language scientist to even read the babel these days ....    Don't be confusing the kids and us old fart tree huggers and drunks .... Playing the smart card ain't always smart. Ummm Get Smart ....   This will be tough   L O L    

kmisho
kmisho's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote: 

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

yeah k,"He commits the crime he imputes."  .... I think? 

We are all Equivocation-ists!    Geezzz, one must be a language scientist to even read the babel these days ....    Don't be confusing the kids and us old fart tree huggers and drunks .... Playing the smart card ain't always smart. Ummm Get Smart ....   This will be tough   L O L    

I wasn't going to say anything, but since you brought it up...

I haven't been around here in a while. The thing that struck me was that around here the "argumentation" from theists is ridiculously obtuse. God is real...because of Godel's Theorem. God is real...because logic cannot be used to break down solipsism.

The impression I get is of people REALLY REACHING to believe in a god they don't really believe in, striking examples of Mark Twain's comment that faith is believing what you know ain't true.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
LJoll wrote: So far off the

LJoll wrote:
 So far off the mark.  I'm not assuming that induction is false, I'm just asking how we can know that it is true.

Talk about being 'off the mark" - induction is a method, methods are not 'true' or 'false'.

Quote:

I've already said that I think that nature is uniform, although it was not the result of reasoning. 

You came to hold to an idea without reasoning?

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
kmisho wrote: I haven't

kmisho wrote:

I haven't been around here in a while. The thing that struck me was that around here the "argumentation" from theists is ridiculously obtuse. God is real...because of Godel's Theorem. God is real...because logic cannot be used to break down solipsism.

The wonderful thing about not knowing what you are talking about is that it frees you to say whatever you want.

Quote:

The impression I get is of people REALLY REACHING to believe in a god they don't really believe in, striking examples of Mark Twain's comment that faith is believing what you know ain't true.

You really can't blame theists... they were inculcated into theism before they were entrusted to take a shit for themselves; they're trying to rationalize the unrationizable...

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote:LJoll

todangst wrote:

LJoll wrote:
 So far off the mark.  I'm not assuming that induction is false, I'm just asking how we can know that it is true.

Talk about being 'off the mark" - induction is a method, methods are not 'true' or 'false'.

Quote:

I've already said that I think that nature is uniform, although it was not the result of reasoning. 

That's the beauty of (divine?) revelation. No thought required - in fact, it gets in the way.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote:LJoll

todangst wrote:

LJoll wrote:

Quote:

Good to see you around todangst.

How did the doctorate go?

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Its far to late, and i am

Its far to late, and i am far to lazy to read every ones posts like usual... so i hope im not doubling up when i say...

"The sun will not rise tommorrow, it didnt rise today, and never has risen!"

because the sun doesnt rise by any means >.>

so hah! take that, 8+ pages of stuff i didnt look at... which probably holds the answer to slapping me with a trout...

ya, im far to tired to be typing what my mind is thinking...

What Would Kharn Do?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Doomed is another

Doomed is another

Equivocation-ists!

who ain't ?

No lies !

I AM

what I AM !

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Echo ((( kimsho , "The

Echo ((( kimsho ,

"The impression I get is of people REALLY REACHING to believe in a god they don't really believe in, striking examples of Mark Twain's comment that faith is believing what you know ain't true."