"We can't logically show that there is an outside word or that the sun will rise tomorrow..."

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
"We can't logically show that there is an outside word or that the sun will rise tomorrow..."

I came across this statement recently. What logical fallacy is it making? It seems to be arguing from inductive uncertainty, although for this fallacy to apply does it require the person to go on to reject the proposition, rather than simply saying it cannot be logically proven.

The same person also wrote the following:

Quote:
My skepticism is not of the outside world, but of the role of logic in finding truth. At the most fundamental level, the outside world existing is logically no more justifiable than God's existence. That doesn't mean that they are equally true, or that an intelligent person should conclude that they are equally true. In deciding which is true, however, we must rely on our intuition and instincts, although that is not to say we should not think carefully about the matter. Even if I say that Christians have "the burden of proof" and that "occam's razor disproves creation", I am not really pointing to something I know to be logically true, but really to something that I feel intuitively to be true.

There seems something wrong about that line of thinking. It seems to imply that we ultimatly rely on our intuitiion/instincts.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote: I think

BobSpence1 wrote:

I think the fallacy is to expect more from a particular tool of reasoning, basic binary logic, than it is capable of, and not realise that there is a whole box full of tools which have been developed since the glory days of Greek philosophy.

It is like ignoring all of mathematics beyond integer arithmetic.

So we can all agree together that atheism can't be defended only using logic, since atheism addresses a real-world question (is there a God?) and logic is insufficent for making statements about existence in the real world. So it's not that atheists are illogical or irrational in brushing aside the problem of induction: we are simply acknowledging the limits of logic and turning to other, more appropriate methods to arrive at our conclusions. 

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just realized there is

I just realized there is another level of potential confusion here, to do with two distinct uses of 'probability'.

One use is to describe the behaviour of random processes, like the decay of atoms, or processes so sensitive to small variations in various conditions that there behaviour in any one instance is essentially unpredictable, like coin tosses or throws of a dice.

The other is where a particular 'fact' about the universe may well have a quite well-defined value, but we do not have ways to measure or observe it directly enough to establish this value precisely. It may be historical, so we are left to forensically analyse whatever traces it may have left in currently observable data, or very far away, or only measurable thru very indirect means, or the observation is likely to be affected by other factors by an uncertain amount.

In the latter case, we have to evaluate from the limited data we do have what is the most likely value it may have, in our estimation. This requires us to think of what other factors would affect our observations, and what are the probabilities of various combinations of all the things affecting our measurement having just the particular values to give us the value we actually measure.

If we are measuring the intensity of light from a distant star we have to consider allow for the amount of dust and gas that may be between us and the star. We will use other information we may have which estimate the distribution of such dust and gas in that region of space, and our estimate of the distance of the star, to estimate the likely amount of absorption and scattering the light may have suffered on its way to us.

This piling of uncertainty on uncertainty may seem to lead us to total ignorance of the 'true' value of any such measurement. But in fact we are 'saved' by the fact that we have a multitude of measurements of many aspects of the stars and the stellar environment, some of which are relatively well nailed down, and by cross comparing related data we can usually keep the uncertainty within bounds.

Any uncertainty in the 'true' value of a physical measurement is unlikely to be infinite, so we can normally set some upper and lower limit from very crude observations. We were able to devise quite useful electrical equipment without knowing the precise value of the charge of an electron or the exact values of the conductivity of the wires used.

So absence of precise knowledge does not leave us in total ignorance. Call it a false dichotomy, perhaps.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: The same person

Quote:

My skepticism is not of the outside world, but of the role of logic in finding truth. 

Logic has nothing to do with 'finding truth' in the first place. Logic has to do with evaluating arguments for validity, it says nothing about the truth of the premises.

This is the key error in your friend's comments... logic has nothing to do with truth in the first place. We don't use 'logic' to know the world, we use empiricism.

In short, this is one more person commenting on logic without first bothering to learn what logic is.

Next.

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes! Lack of proof does not

Yes! Lack of proof does not equal lack of evidence. So we have two lines of attack on this notion that, because of the problem of induction, atheists have no more grounds for their position than theists.

1. The problem of induction is a problem in logic, but logic is not sufficient to make inquiries about the natural world. We can "trump" the problem of induction by invoking parsimony and noting that the logical problem never seems to become a real-world problem. The problem of induction would seem to point to a flaw in our thinking, not to any inherent uncertainty in the world.

2. The problem of induction presents a problem only for those seeking mathematical proofs and 100% correct answers. There still exist high levels of certainty (as high as our certainty that the sun will come up, and higher) that, while falling short of the Absolute, are more than convincing enough to motivate all our beliefs and actions. Atheists can claim a much higher level of certainty for the truth of their position than theists can for theirs.

- Dr. Joy Brown

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote: Yes! Lack

Tilberian wrote:

Yes! Lack of proof does not equal lack of evidence. So we have two lines of attack on this notion that, because of the problem of induction, atheists have no more grounds for their position than theists.

1. The problem of induction is a problem in logic, but logic is not sufficient to make inquiries about the natural world. We can "trump" the problem of induction by invoking parsimony and noting that the logical problem never seems to become a real-world problem. The problem of induction would seem to point to a flaw in our thinking, not to any inherent uncertainty in the world.

2. The problem of induction presents a problem only for those seeking mathematical proofs and 100% correct answers. There still exist high levels of certainty (as high as our certainty that the sun will come up, and higher) that, while falling short of the Absolute, are more than convincing enough to motivate all our beliefs and actions. Atheists can claim a much higher level of certainty for the truth of their position than theists can for theirs.

Yep, as I said, and Todangst also, logic by itself is not adequate to address questions like this. 

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote:   1. The

Tilberian wrote:

I'd add that 'uncertainty' about the world merely points to uncertainty, not chaos. And uncertainty simply does not open the door to fideism, or any unsubstantiated leap to a 'god', which is infinitely more problematic, to 'solve' the problem. In short, there's no real 'problem' in the sense TAGers think there is, and the existence of a problem in itself does not grant a justification for just assuming there's a magic pixie that mysteriously solves it.

Quote:

Tagers actually  have no solution at all to the problem...  TAG is an admission that there is no solution. Ask a TAGer how TAG actually provides justification for induction... they can't, because it doesn't. They merely assert that a black box somehow magically melts the problem away.

To deal with a TAGer, give them a logic textbook and ask them to read it. No one can be both a TAGer and informed in logic.

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

LJoll
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote: Since

Tilberian wrote:

Since when was it a rule that only mathematical laws can be introduced into this argument? Occam's Razor is a necessary pragmatic concession for life. If you want to operate in defiance of it, have fun chasing illusions.

The rule isn't that only mathematical laws can be introduces into the argument. The rule is that things you claim to be mathematical laws actually are. 

LJoll
User is offlineOffline
Topher wrote: Well tell me,

Topher wrote:
Well tell me, how else can we gain knowledge and be confident of the validity of that knowledge if not thought logical, rational thought?

They can only follow their instincts.

Topher wrote:
Elaborate on this please. Are you suggesting that logic is not part of our life?

We can use logic, but at a fundamental level our beliefs come from what we feels to be true, rather than what we deduce to be true.

Topher wrote:
Someone cannot jump from the good effects of believing in a god to asserting god therefore exists. That said, it is possible to hold an irrational belief for rational reasons.

And neither can you jump from the good effects of ignoring the problem of induction to asserting that you have rational grounds for assuming induction works. 

LJoll
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote: LJoll

Archeopteryx wrote:
LJoll wrote:
Archeopteryx wrote:

We can't prove there is an outside world and that the sun will rise tomorrow. Hm. Here is what I would say to that person.

We can't prove either one absolutely. This is true. Just because the sun has risen (or the Earth has revolved, however you want to look at it) billions of times before does not necessarily mean it will still do so 72 hours from now.

I can't prove that the outside world is real either. Perhaps everything is just a holographic image until the exact moment that it is observed. But perhaps those observations are lies. How do we know?

To that I would say, you're right, but who really gives a shit? If you tell me that there is no way to know at any moment that the sun will continue to behave the way I expect, I could just as easily ask you to tell me what the sun would then do.

If you tell me that the outside world may not even exist, I would then ask you to explain to me what the "perceived outside world" must be.

Whatever you try to substitute in its place would surely fall victim to the same flawed logic you are accusing me of. The result is a stalemate.

We come to these kinds of inductive conclusions because we must. If I am an animal in the wild and I make the observation that all the red berries I have ever encountered are good to eat, I continue to eat the red berries. Similarly, just because I have always had a mouth and a digestion system to eat and digest berries, doesn't mean that I certainly will tomorrow, but it would be stupid of me to automatically assume, based on that knowledge, that I don't have to eat any berries. Perhaps tomorrow I will wake up as an immortal that has no desire for food, but it would be stupid for me to count on it.

None of this means that my conclusions are right or that my reasoning is valid, but I am hungry, I want to live, and I need to make a decision. I know that I exist. I know that I don't want to cease to exist.

Just because the sun will not necessarily rise tomorrow does not automatically mean that I should stop believing that it will. Just because the outside world may not actually exist or may not be what I think it is (we could all be plugged into the Matrix, after all!), does not automatically mean that I should stop believing that the world is what it is.

We accept the reality of the world we are given (or maybe tomorrow we won't! Where does it end?!?!)

But what else are we going to do?

As for the suggestion that the outside world is no more justifiable than God's existence:

If you're arguing for an unrevealed god, I may let that slide. But if you're arguing for the god of a revealed religion that supposedly created then world, then are you saying that God created a world that we can't prove actually exists, and that's how we know God exists?

Hmm... something about that doesn't work. I'll let you figure that one out.

But if you're saying "some god that we just don't know about", then okay whatever. As long as we both acknowledge that you don't know anything about him and so it's probably pointless for us to even be talking about him, if he exists, which we can't really be sure of.

*sigh*

All you've done is accept the point and then apply the same point to arguments that no one has even made. Well done.

Actually, I've pointed out that our stance shouldn't be put on the same ground as a revealed religion with a creation story. If the god in question created the world that we are so uncertain about, then the uncertain world does not work to suggest that the creator god may exist.

I've conceded that some type of god that we are completely agnostic about may or may not exist, but we can't say anything about it. When anyone making a god claim makes any attempt to describe the god (to know anything about the god), then their stance becomes irrational.

This applies to your point that we are just as irrational as everyone who makes a god claim. I'm only pointing out that it depends on the god claim.

If someone says, "There might be a god." Okay. And there might not. Maybe there was one yesterday and there isn't one today. It may or may not be true. Whatever. No argument, and not even worth talking about.

If someone says, "There IS a god, and he doesn't like it when people masturbate," then I can object and ask them how they know.

I'm not sure I see any problem with that.

You can then get into the scientific points, such as whether the sun will rise tomorrow or not, and say that we are using the same fallacy. You can then say that our belief that the sun will rise tomorrow must be as irrational as their god belief, if you like. But, even if you are right, wouldn't the agnostic atheist position still be valid, despite whatever invalid claims the agnostic atheist might make thereafter?

I guess what I'm saying is, I wouldn't object to your saying that we are all as equally irrational as the god-believers as much as I would object to your saying that we are being equally irrational about the same thing (namely the existence of God).

As for all the arguments that no one ever made, I know that no one ever made them. I wasn't trying to present them as if someone had. I'm sorry if I made them sound that way. At least you were able to build them into a cool-sounding jab. Well done.

You're the one bringing God into this. Who here has claimed to  have any evidence for believing in a god.

LJoll
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote: The

BobSpence1 wrote:

The speculation that "the nature of physical reality", or "the Laws of Physics", which are what we call the regularities and consistent patterns of interaction we have uncovered by scientific investigation, may suddenly change in the future, is really in a similar category to other speculations such as the existence of some conscious higher being responsible for the physical universe.

We cannot logically disprove it, any more than we can currently disprove the existence of Russell's orbiting teapot.

Since we have no evidence whatever to say it is likely to happen, it is entirely rational to behave as if things which have persisted as far back as we can tell will continue to do so, in the total absence of contrary evidence. We can speculate about an indefinitely large number of scenarios which we currently have no evidence for, and there will be an infinite number of further scenarios which our finite minds cannot even imagine.

But what evidence do you have for anything? Nother other than that it feels that way for you. 

BobSpence1 wrote:
It is entirely rational to assume, on the basis of history,

Do you not actually understand the problem in question? 

LJoll
User is offlineOffline
evil religionI disagree.

evil religion wrote:
I disagree. The process of reasoning is grounded in logic as is mathematics. This process is logical and this process is what gives us pretty much all of our knowledge. The base input may well be inductive or empirical but observations do not make knowledge they need to be processed and that process is logical, well it is as long as one wants to remian rational.

So you admit none of your premises are rational in themselves, it's good enough for you to put them through a logical argument? Fine.

P1. God exists

P2. God is the God of the Bible

Conclusion. Fear him.

If you can't justify your premises, why should I care if your conclusions follow from them?

Quote:
We cant know for certain I agree but we are justfied in that belief. So strongly justfied in fact that I would say that we can make a legitimate claim to know this. PLease note at this stage that absilute certainty is not a prequistite for knowledge.

And what IS the justification?

Quote:

We do have reasons to believe this though. Working on this very principle allows you to operate in the world. Everysingle rational human being uses this process every day thousands of time to make judgemnets about the world. On the whole it works very well. It works a whole lot better than doubting evreything or giving every possability equal worth. If someone really acted as if the pinciple of induction didn't hold then they would do all sorts of silly and crazy things, they would make very poor judgementa nd would probably die fairly qucikly at the next road crossing. In short they would act in a way that we woudl describe as oh whats the word er um ohe yes that its IRATIONAL. Induction is just part of what it is to be rational.

That is the 'reason' why you do it, in the same way that the 'reason' why someone cries is because they're scared. You don't have a rational justification for it though. If you're arguing that the fact that it's worked before is justification in itself, look at the problem again.

Quote:
But doubting the validity of inducation as a method for justfication then you are doubting reason itself.

No. That's exactly what I'm denying. Induction does not follow from logical reasoning.

Quote:

From the premis that it alwasy has been a relaible guide.

It works thats all there is to it really.

Which I've shown is not a good enough justification. How do you know what has been a reliable guide in the past will continue to be a reliable guide in the future?

Quote:
Ok please define justfication completely without reference to any iductive process.

I can't give a precise definition of what it means for something to be justified, but that is precisely because what I'm saying is true.

Quote:

Yes it is. In order to doubt inducation you must first of all accept that there is a world out there for it to be an invalid process in. This is an empirical observation. You form this conclusion that there is an external universe by repeated observation. If you deny that this is valid then you simply can't use the necessary premis

- There is a uninverse

In your argumnet

You need to form the following

P1- There is a universe (inductive observation)

P2- Induction is the observation of past patterns in the universe and predicting future outcomes (definition of induction)

P3- There is no reason to supose that the universe will behave in the same way in the future

P4- If the rules change then patterns are irrelevant

C- Induction can not be reliable

You must observe the world and accept that it has been here for a while and you must also concieve that it could have been different in the past. You must concieve that there could have been changes and that these changes (in the laws of phsyics) could be observable in principle. This relies, in a very basic way, on an inductive reasoning. You require the premis 1 above to form this, or indeed any argument! But this is an iductivly gleamed premis which means that it is apparently an invalid premise. Which means that the whole argument tumbles down.

Utterly ridiculous. This argument is so wrong that I'm giving up on you.

LJoll
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote: All this

BobSpence1 wrote:

All this re-inforced the idea in my mind that the chief value of Logic is as a way of guarding against various basic errors in reasoning, rather than pointing to new knowledge.

I actually agree, but then the question is "what does point the way to new knowledge?". My answer is that we follow our instincts and intuitions, rather than any rational process. 

LJoll
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote: You

Tilberian wrote:

You nailed it. We can make the technical concession that logic can't defend induction, but we can still defend our use of induction on rational grounds by invoking the principle of parsimony...Occam's Razor. The simple fact is that we have never observed something changing for no reason. Therefore it would be irrational to assume that it might.

And how typical. When rationality fails us, lets add in a new principle that justifies what we're saying and call it rational. Can you give any rational justification to Occam's Razor. If not, we're back at square one. 

LJoll
User is offlineOffline
todangst

todangst wrote:
Quote:

My skepticism is not of the outside world, but of the role of logic in finding truth.

Logic has nothing to do with 'finding truth' in the first place. Logic has to do with evaluating arguments for validity, it says nothing about the truth of the premises.

This is the key error in your friend's comments... logic has nothing to do with truth in the first place. We don't use 'logic' to know the world, we use empiricism.

In short, this is one more person commenting on logic without first bothering to learn what logic is.

Next.

And why is it me that needs to learn what logic is in the first place? I seem to be the only one that is saying that we don't use logic  know the world. In fact Topher directed me here because he claimed that you had shown that induction could be logically justified by simply invoking Bayes' Theorem (which would, if it were true, give us a way of knowing the word through logic), which turned out not to be true, as it obviously never was going to be. Now unless you can show that empiricism has some rational justification, you have no right to call yourselves rational, nor can you dismiss others arguments on the basis of not being rational (and the same follows for Christians).

LJoll
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote: Yes! Lack

Tilberian wrote:

This isn't pokemon. You can't just "invoke" the law of parsimony and claim your belief is rational, unless you have a rational justification for the law of parsimony in the first place.

Now I'd agree that lack of proof doesn't equate to lack of evidence. I just do not believe that anyof our evidence has any rational foundation. We work out what is true through our intuitions.

Tilberian wrote:

Yes, but none of this has anything to do with reason. 

LJoll
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote:

todangst wrote:
Tilberian wrote:

I'd add that 'uncertainty' about the world merely points to uncertainty, not chaos. And uncertainty simply does not open the door to fideism, or any unsubstantiated leap to a 'god', which is infinitely more problematic, to 'solve' the problem. In short, there's no real 'problem' in the sense TAGers think there is, and the existence of a problem in itself does not grant a justification for just assuming there's a magic pixie that mysteriously solves it.

Quote:

Tagers actually have no solution at all to the problem... TAG is an admission that there is no solution. Ask a TAGer how TAG actually provides justification for induction... they can't, because it doesn't. They merely assert that a black box somehow magically melts the problem away.

To deal with a TAGer, give them a logic textbook and ask them to read it. No one can be both a TAGer and informed in logic.

And who is a TAGer? You're so rehearsed in giving your anti-Christian, rational worldview that you're incapable of seeing arguments or opinions for what they are.

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
LJoll wrote: Tilberian

LJoll wrote:
Tilberian wrote:

Since when was it a rule that only mathematical laws can be introduced into this argument? Occam's Razor is a necessary pragmatic concession for life. If you want to operate in defiance of it, have fun chasing illusions.

The rule isn't that only mathematical laws can be introduces into the argument. The rule is that things you claim to be mathematical laws actually are.

Point to where I claimed Occam's Razor is a mathematical law. 

- Dr. Joy Brown

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
LJoll wrote: And how

LJoll wrote:

And how typical. When rationality fails us, lets add in a new principle that justifies what we're saying and call it rational. Can you give any rational justification to Occam's Razor. If not, we're back at square one.

I'm adding in a principle that you have mistakenly left out of your inquiries. Don't thank me, just send money.

By rejecting Occam's Razor you ignore the fact that there are many more erroneous conclusions to be drawn from a given set of data than correct conclusions. This is a mathematical principle, in fact, and the Razor is there to deal with it. Ignoring this principle seems to me to be quite irrational. 

- Dr. Joy Brown

LJoll
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote: LJoll

Tilberian wrote:
LJoll wrote:
Tilberian wrote:

I interpeted this:

Tilberian wrote:
I'll also throw good old Occam at you. Nothing has ever been observed to change the way it works without some force acting on it. Yet your theory is that tomorrow, 2+2=?. You are implying some force acting to change the universal laws of mathematics over night. But I have a theory that doesn't require your mysterious force: tomorrow, 2+2=4. Parsimony requires that we prefer the theory that things will not change the way they work without a reason.

in particular "you are implying some force acting to change the universal laws of mathematics" as a response to me denying the rationality of Occam's, by claiming that there were mathematical ground for it. As it appears that you don't believe there are any mathematical grounds for it, how can you justify any claim that involves it as being rational? Is it not something that simply "seems" to be true?

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
LJoll wrote: This isn't

LJoll wrote:

This isn't pokemon. You can't just "invoke" the law of parsimony and claim your belief is rational, unless you have a rational justification for the law of parsimony in the first place.

I also thought that this wasn't Philosophy 101 where I'd have to present rational justifications for every well-known and accepted concept I mention. I'd say the onus is on you to tell us why we should throw the idea of parsimony out the window, then explain how you would deal with the fact that there are multiple incorrect answers for every correct one in a condition of incomplete data.

LJoll wrote:

Now I'd agree that lack of proof doesn't equate to lack of evidence. I just do not believe that anyof our evidence has any rational foundation. We work out what is true through our intuitions.

No, we worked out the basic fundamentals of what is true billions of years ago when the earliest life forms found out through trial and error what kept them alive and what killed them. Basic truth, such as the fact that you can safely ignore the problem of induction, has been drummed into us by the very phenomenon we are trying to investigate: the natural world.

LJoll wrote:

Tilberian wrote:

Yes, but none of this has anything to do with reason.

You are simply asserting that only logical and mathematical proofs can be associated with reason, and that anything not reducible to them fails the test of rationality. Your definitions of reason and rationality are too narrow and don't reflect how most people use the words.

rational 1. Able to reason. 2. Not foolish or absurd, sensible, reasonable. 

- Dr. Joy Brown

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
LJoll wrote: in particular

LJoll wrote:

in particular "you are implying some force acting to change the universal laws of mathematics" as a response to me denying the rationality of Occam's, by claiming that there were mathematical ground for it. As it appears that you don't believe there are any mathematical grounds for it, how can you justify any claim that involves it as being rational? Is it not something that simply "seems" to be true?

No, Occam's Razor is necessary for any organized thought to occur. And, while I do think that there is a mathematical ground for it involving the number of incorrect interpretations versus the correct interpretations for a given data set, the question is beside the point. 

You seem to think that if you can show that some point we make is not reducible to math that you have succeeded in proving that we are relying only on intuition. I don't think this is true. I don't know if you can reduce the statement "my shirt is blue" to math, but it is certainly true and has nothing to do with intuition.

- Dr. Joy Brown

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I and many others keep

I and many others keep pointing to the other things, like induction, and ways of assessing balance of probabilities, including ways of refining and rendering somewhat more rigorous our somewhat subjective estimates of likelihood of various proposed explanations.

LJoll seems trapped in this very narrow idea of 'rational', and unable to grasp that we have developed new tools of thought in addition to basic logic, which do not contradict that logic, but have greater analytic power.

How is it not 'rational' to act on the probabilistic predictions of these tools, when they continue to power the massive advances in scientific understanding and technological progress we have experienced? 

It would appear that LJoll is only listening to his (uninformed) instincts and intuitions rather than his 'reason'. 

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Plus he threw a dart at

Plus he threw a dart at Todangst, which basically means he's about 100 keystrokes away from becoming a crater.

- Dr. Joy Brown

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
LJoll wrote: evil religion

LJoll wrote:

evil religion wrote:
I disagree. The process of reasoning is grounded in logic as is mathematics. This process is logical and this process is what gives us pretty much all of our knowledge. The base input may well be inductive or empirical but observations do not make knowledge they need to be processed and that process is logical, well it is as long as one wants to remian rational.

So you admit none of your premises are rational in themselves, it's good enough for you to put them through a logical argument? Fine.

Nice strawman - I never said any such thing 

Quote:
P1. God exists

P2. God is the God of the Bible

Conclusion. Fear him.

If you can't justify your premises, why should I care if your conclusions follow from them?

I can justify my premises by observation. You just dont seem to understand what the word "justfication" actually means. You seem to be confusing it with absolute certainty or logical proof. 

Quote:
Quote:
We cant know for certain I agree but we are justfied in that belief. So strongly justfied in fact that I would say that we can make a legitimate claim to know this. PLease note at this stage that absilute certainty is not a prequistite for knowledge.

And what IS the justification?

Observation of patterns within the universe and the meta observation that the universe does indeed have order. You observer this and you accept this premis even if you dont wnat to admit it. To even have concepts such as

Object, self, univere, time or pretty much anything an order is implicit. If you deny that there is any order, or suggest that it is irrational to think so then ANYTHING that relies on any of these concepts is also irrational. As everything we cna concvieve of will rest on these then EVERYTHING turns out to be irrational. This renders the term (ir)rational completely meaningless. 

Quote:
Quote:

We do have reasons to believe this though. Working on this very principle allows you to operate in the world. Everysingle rational human being uses this process every day thousands of time to make judgemnets about the world. On the whole it works very well. It works a whole lot better than doubting evreything or giving every possability equal worth. If someone really acted as if the pinciple of induction didn't hold then they would do all sorts of silly and crazy things, they would make very poor judgementa nd would probably die fairly qucikly at the next road crossing. In short they would act in a way that we woudl describe as oh whats the word er um ohe yes that its IRATIONAL. Induction is just part of what it is to be rational.

That is the 'reason' why you do it, in the same way that the 'reason' why someone cries is because they're scared. You don't have a rational justification for it though. If you're arguing that the fact that it's worked before is justification in itself, look at the problem again.

I think you need to have little ponder about what it is to be rational. You seem to be stuck on this idea that rationality can only stem from deductive logic. You are wrong. Most philsophers woudl agree that you are wrong. You need to educate yourself.

Quote:
Quote:
But doubting the validity of inducation as a method for justfication then you are doubting reason itself.

No. That's exactly what I'm denying. Induction does not follow from logical reasoning.

Indeed well done thats right. Induction does not follow from logical deduction (I'm not going to say reasoning because there is more to reasoning than just deduction). But so what? You are making the claim that induction is irrational you are not making the claim that deduction is a process not logically deducable.  

Quote:
Quote:

From the premis that it alwasy has been a relaible guide.

It works thats all there is to it really.

Which I've shown is not a good enough justification. How do you know what has been a reliable guide in the past will continue to be a reliable guide in the future?

Again you are mixing up terms. Now you bringing "knowledge" into it. This is a confusion on your part. I don't know for certain that it will be BUT it is a reasonable assumption based on the evidence from the past. The laws of physics have not changed ever as far as we know. Now they might change - it possible I suppose and your right there is no way of knowing for certain but now we have two possabilities

1- The laws of phsyics will be the same tomorrow (as they have alwasy been)

2- The laws of phsyics will change tomorrow

I have agreed we can not know for certain which of these is true. But which is more likely?  Which is it rational to believe? If you genuinly believe that 2 is just as likely as 1 then you are insane.

Quote:
Quote:
Ok please define justfication completely without reference to any iductive process.

I can't give a precise definition of what it means for something to be justified, but that is precisely because what I'm saying is true.

So you cant. Right what does this tell you? 

Quote:
Quote:

Yes it is. In order to doubt inducation you must first of all accept that there is a world out there for it to be an invalid process in. This is an empirical observation. You form this conclusion that there is an external universe by repeated observation. If you deny that this is valid then you simply can't use the necessary premis

- There is a uninverse

In your argumnet

You need to form the following

P1- There is a universe (inductive observation)

P2- Induction is the observation of past patterns in the universe and predicting future outcomes (definition of induction)

P3- There is no reason to supose that the universe will behave in the same way in the future

P4- If the rules change then patterns are irrelevant

C- Induction can not be reliable

You must observe the world and accept that it has been here for a while and you must also concieve that it could have been different in the past. You must concieve that there could have been changes and that these changes (in the laws of phsyics) could be observable in principle. This relies, in a very basic way, on an inductive reasoning. You require the premis 1 above to form this, or indeed any argument! But this is an iductivly gleamed premis which means that it is apparently an invalid premise. Which means that the whole argument tumbles down.

Utterly ridiculous. This argument is so wrong that I'm giving up on you.

I see so in other words you cant think of a counter argument so you are throwing your toys out of your pram and refusing to play. 

Grow up. Then perhaps we can have a sensible discusion I have no time for children.

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
LJoll, We know you don't

LJoll,

We know you don't think induction is rational, but WHY don't you think it is rational. You have really not explained this. It seems to be simply due to the fact we cannot be certain of induction. This seems to be your requirement. You ask: "how do you know what has been a reliable guide in the past will continue to be a reliable guide in the future?" yet you seen to want a deductive certainty, a mathematical proof. Every justification given you simply pat away as irrational... well, this leads to another problem of your argument: even if we accept the problem of induction, there is still nothing irrational about holding to induction for pragmatic reasons, because it works, and it does Simply stating we cannot be certain of it is not an justification. work. There is NO justification for holding that induction is invalid. Care to give one?

Reall LJoll, your whole position is untenable.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

LJoll
User is offlineOffline
I can't be bothered

I can't be bothered replying to every single post, so how about this. Can anyone explain iin detail how we may obtain knowledge of the future (probabilistic or certain), without making any unjustified assumptions?
 If you can, I'll admit that I'm wrong. All I am arguing is that no objective method follows rationally from something that we can know with certainty.

Another quite point that a few people (or at least one person repeatedly) haave got wrong. Occam's razor does NOT follow mathematically from the fact that there are many more incorrect conclusions than corect ones. Why would it? It is just an intuitive way of viewing data.

LJoll
User is offlineOffline
Topher wrote: LJoll, We

Topher wrote:

LJoll,

We know you don't think induction is rational, but WHY don't you think it is rational. You have really not explained this. It seems to be simply due to the fact we cannot be certain of induction. This seems to be your requirement. You ask: "how do you know what has been a reliable guide in the past will continue to be a reliable guide in the future?" yet you seen to want a deductive certainty, a mathematical proof. Every justification given you simply pat away as irrational... well, this leads to another problem of your argument: even if we accept the problem of induction, there is still nothing irrational about holding to induction for pragmatic reasons, because it works, and it does Simply stating we cannot be certain of it is not an justification. work. There is NO justification for holding that induction is invalid. Care to give one?

Reall LJoll, your whole position is untenable.

The reason why I don't think induction is rational is because no one can give a rational justification for it. Every single justification has been either circular or uses Occam's Razor, which has no justification itself.
The argument that induction has worked before is circular is it assumes that things that were useful in the past will be useful in the future, which relies on the exact principle in question. Can you give any rational justification for using induction? I can't and neither has anyone else. That is why I consider induction be be irrational.

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
LJoll wrote: The reason

LJoll wrote:

The reason why I don't think induction is rational is because no one can give a rational justification for it. Every single justification has been either circular or uses Occam's Razor, which has no justification itself.
The argument that induction has worked before is circular is it assumes that things that were useful in the past will be useful in the future, which relies on the exact principle in question. Can you give any rational justification for using induction? I can't and neither has anyone else. That is why I consider induction be be irrational.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you will agree that modes of thought which allow us to think and react to our environment, and thereby preserve our lives, are "justified" along rational lines. I hope you will agree that modes of thought which, if followed, would result in mental paralysis and death are absurd and nonsensical. I want to clear this up, because we are having a tough time pinning you down to exactly what you mean by "rational" and "justified."

If you are talking only about justification through pure logical deduction, the point has been made several times that you are applying logic inappropriately, and brushing aside other methods of reasoning that are equally valid.

You say it is invalid to assume that things that were true in the past will be true in the future. What if we look at ourselves in the past and examine what would have happened if we employed that mode of thought? For instance, instead of sticking your keys into your car to start it in the morning, assuming that it would work as it had before, you instead did a complete check of the engine to make sure it wasn't going to explode on ignition. We can see that the consequence of that would be that you would have lost your job by now, having never arrived before noon each day. Today, this morning, you are faced with the same problem. Check the engine, or just try to start the car? In light of what you know the consequence of checking the engine will be, does it make more sense to focus on the fact that you have no logical proof that the engine will work, or does it make sense to make a pragmatic concession that your action is logically flawed but you are going to try it anyway? At one level, yes, you are acting without regard for logic. At the larger, and I would say more relevant level, you are taking the more rational approach in light of the big picture. Your action is justified, because it results in the outcome you want. 

Occam's Razor is justified the same way. You walk into your house and see the newspaper that you left on the kitchen table is now lying on the floor. There is one correct explanation for it, and myriad incorrect ones that still fit the available data. But if you stand there examining and eliminating all the alternative theories rather than choosing the simplest one and going forward, you will be dead of starvation before you decide that the cat probably knocked it off. Embracing a mode of thought that allows you to think and act is much more rational than insisting on a logical purity that leaves you paralyzed.

- Dr. Joy Brown

LJoll
User is offlineOffline

Tilberian wrote:
LJoll wrote:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you will agree that modes of thought which allow us to think and react to our environment, and thereby preserve our lives, are "justified" along rational lines. I hope you will agree that modes of thought which, if followed, would result in mental paralysis and death are absurd and nonsensical. I want to clear this up, because we are having a tough time pinning you down to exactly what you mean by "rational" and "justified."

If you are talking only about justification through pure logical deduction, the point has been made several times that you are applying logic inappropriately, and brushing aside other methods of reasoning that are equally valid.

You say it is invalid to assume that things that were true in the past will be true in the future. What if we look at ourselves in the past and examine what would have happened if we employed that mode of thought? For instance, instead of sticking your keys into your car to start it in the morning, assuming that it would work as it had before, you instead did a complete check of the engine to make sure it wasn't going to explode on ignition. We can see that the consequence of that would be that you would have lost your job by now, having never arrived before noon each day. Today, this morning, you are faced with the same problem. Check the engine, or just try to start the car? In light of what you know the consequence of checking the engine will be, does it make more sense to focus on the fact that you have no logical proof that the engine will work, or does it make sense to make a pragmatic concession that your action is logically flawed but you are going to try it anyway? At one level, yes, you are acting without regard for logic. At the larger, and I would say more relevant level, you are taking the more rational approach in light of the big picture. Your action is justified, because it results in the outcome you want.

Occam's Razor is justified the same way. You walk into your house and see the newspaper that you left on the kitchen table is now lying on the floor. There is one correct explanation for it, and myriad incorrect ones that still fit the available data. But if you stand there examining and eliminating all the alternative theories rather than choosing the simplest one and going forward, you will be dead of starvation before you decide that the cat probably knocked it off. Embracing a mode of thought that allows you to think and act is much more rational than insisting on a logical purity that leaves you paralyzed.

By a belief being 'justified', I do not simply mean that holdng the belief is in your benefit. I mean that there it can be shown that it's true.

You actually seem to agree that it's absurd to try to come to a completely rational explanation of the world around us. We have to make instinctive choices. For instance, we can have no rational reason for expecting that our car will not explode on ignition, yet we instinctive believe that it won't. We must follow the instinctive decision rather than try to justify ourselves rationally.

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
LJoll wrote: By a belief

LJoll wrote:

By a belief being 'justified', I do not simply mean that holdng the belief is in your benefit. I mean that there it can be shown that it's true.

And I'm not talking about specific beliefs, but rather about rules for creating beliefs. What we all need is a functioning belief-creating system that delivers the results we need to stay alive. Logic is very much a second-order aspect of that system, one that is invented only after the fact to help us conduct discourse.  

LJoll wrote:

You actually seem to agree that it's absurd to try to come to a completely rational explanation of the world around us. We have to make instinctive choices. For instance, we can have no rational reason for expecting that our car will not explode on ignition, yet we instinctive believe that it won't. We must follow the instinctive decision rather than try to justify ourselves rationally.

You are being sloppy with your terms again. I am saying that only rational explanations have a hope of being valid. I am also saying that we do not necessarily need to discard our rational conclusions if we are unable to defend them using deductive logic. There are other ways to be rational than deductive logic alone, including inductive logic.

The contingent belief that the engine won't explode is not arrived at "instinctively." It is arrived at by analyzing past data, comparing it to present data, identifying similar patterns and assigning a probability that a pattern of events will be repeated based on the observation that certain events do tend to repeat under certain similar conditions. This is a highly rational process. In fact, if one used only logic to arrive at the conclusion that you aren't sure that the engine is safe, you would be acting irrationally.

I think this is what is getting you into trouble here: you keep swapping "logic," "rationality" and "justification" around as if they are interchangeable. Open the dictionary. These words all have distinct meanings.   

- Dr. Joy Brown

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I give up - he won't shift

I give up - he won't shift an inch.

Total (expletive deleted) waste of time and space...

EDIT: Yeah, 'ad hominem', might as well fall back to that, when a mountain of serious detailed argument has no perceptiblel effect...

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
LJoll wrote: I can't be

LJoll wrote:

I can't be bothered replying to every single post, so how about this. Can anyone explain iin detail how we may obtain knowledge of the future (probabilistic or certain), without making any unjustified assumptions?

Ok you need to understand what it means to justify something.

Justfication basically comes from observation of the world. That is what we mean when we say something is justified. Think about it for a momment. Think about how you use the word "justify".

If we see that some thing (B) always happens when another thing happens (A)then when we observe A we are justfied in believing that B will also happen. So looking at the world around us we observe that the past resembles the present and hence we can inductivly deduce that the future will continue to obey the same laws. The premises that THIS observation relies upon is that our observations of the universe are actually a reflection of the universe itself AND that there is an external universe indapendant of our mind.

So in order to make the inductive argument that the past will resemble the future we need to "assume" the following two beleifs

1) Our observations of the universe reflect the actual universe.

2) There is a mind indapendant universe "out there"

If these two things are true then our inductive reasoning is a valid and justfied. So the discusion now actually shifts to an arguemnet between transendental idealism and the varous forms of realism.

Lets take 1 to begin with.

Do our observations reflect the actual universe (if it exists)? Well this is a somewhat tricky subject but I think the most likely explanation is that they do. I need you to note at this stage that our obseravtions do not need to be entirely accurate only that they do generally reflect what is really going on "out there". The reason I say that it is the most likely explanation is as follows.

If we compare the idealist position with the realist positon which is actually consistent with what we experiance? If our observations and experiances are not linked or do not reflect the real world then how is this explained? The realist position is simply explained in that there is phsyical link between our brains and the world our there. Some complex kind of "mapping" of reality is going on which means that our experiances more or less correspond to reality. They may be distorted or twisted in various ways but the will be an imperfect reflection none the less. But how do we explain the idealist position? If our obseravtions really do not tell us anything about what is really happening out there then what is it that we observe? Why do we have such a remarkable correlation between the observations of different minds? Why do our obseravtion more often than not concur with each other? How is this possible? I can't think of any suitable answers to these questions. Hence on the balance of reason I would reject idealism as far less likely than realism.

Next lets take 2. 2 is vital for 1 in fact as well as for the inductivly gleamed notion that the furure resembles the past. So is there a mind indapendant uninverse? Again we need to look at what is more likely given our observations. We have two competing ideas.

1) That the universe is entirely a creation of our minds. That there is no physical reality merely a mental construct.

2) That there is a real mind indapentdant phsyical universe.

Again I would say that 2 is far more likely given the availbale evidence. If we want to accept 1 we need to explain

a) Why the universe appears to be indpaendant of our minds?

b) How is this mental construct created?

c) Why is there correlation between different minds as to the nature of reality?

d) How do we account for that fact that we sometimes get things wrong about the universe and managed to acknowledge this error?

There are other problems but these should be enough I think to indicate that the most likely explanation of the observed phenomona is that there is a mind indapendant universe.

Soooooo

If we accept (for the reasons above)that 

Then our observations tell us that the past resembles the future and alwasy has done. This being the case then the principle of induction is a valid method of reasoning.

Quote:
If you can, I'll admit that I'm wrong. All I am arguing is that no objective method follows rationally from something that we can know with certainty.

You need to get away from this obsesion with "certainty". The rational man will deal with the most likely explanations. If we limit ourselves to only certain things then there aint a lot we can discuss about anything really. 

LJoll
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

I give up - he won't shift an inch.

Total (expletive deleted) waste of time and space...

EDIT: Yeah, 'ad hominem', might as well fall back to that, when a mountain of serious detailed argument has no perceptiblel effect...

A mountain of detailed argument that doesn't actually deal with the fundamental issue. Someone on here called Todangst actually has an artice where he tries to overcome the problem, but his justification is flawed. Your arguments have simply been circular or simply ignoring the problem.

How do YOU distinguish between rational and irrational beliefs? To you have a criteria by which you can categorize them?

LJoll
User is offlineOffline
evil religion wrote:

evil religion wrote:

Justfication basically comes from observation of the world. That is what we mean when we say something is justified. Think about it for a momment. Think about how you use the word "justify".

If we see that some thing (B) always happens when another thing happens (A)then when we observe A we are justfied in believing that B will also happen. So looking at the world around us we observe that the past resembles the present and hence we can inductivly deduce that the future will continue to obey the same laws. The premises that THIS observation relies upon is that our observations of the universe are actually a reflection of the universe itself AND that there is an external universe indapendant of our mind.

So in order to make the inductive argument that the past will resemble the future we need to "assume" the following two beleifs

If these two things are true then our inductive reasoning is a valid and justfied. So the discusion now actually shifts to an arguemnet between transendental idealism and the varous forms of realism.

Do our observations reflect the actual universe (if it exists)? Well this is a somewhat tricky subject but I think the most likely explanation is that they do. I need you to note at this stage that our obseravtions do not need to be entirely accurate only that they do generally reflect what is really going on "out there". The reason I say that it is the most likely explanation is as follows.

If we compare the idealist position with the realist positon which is actually consistent with what we experiance? If our observations and experiances are not linked or do not reflect the real world then how is this explained? The realist position is simply explained in that there is phsyical link between our brains and the world our there. Some complex kind of "mapping" of reality is going on which means that our experiances more or less correspond to reality. They may be distorted or twisted in various ways but the will be an imperfect reflection none the less. But how do we explain the idealist position? If our obseravtions really do not tell us anything about what is really happening out there then what is it that we observe? Why do we have such a remarkable correlation between the observations of different minds? Why do our obseravtion more often than not concur with each other? How is this possible? I can't think of any suitable answers to these questions. Hence on the balance of reason I would reject idealism as far less likely than realism.

Next lets take 2. 2 is vital for 1 in fact as well as for the inductivly gleamed notion that the furure resembles the past. So is there a mind indapendant uninverse? Again we need to look at what is more likely given our observations. We have two competing ideas.

1) That the universe is entirely a creation of our minds. That there is no physical reality merely a mental construct.

Again I would say that 2 is far more likely given the availbale evidence. If we want to accept 1 we need to explain

c) Why is there correlation between different minds as to the nature of reality?

d) How do we account for that fact that we sometimes get things wrong about the universe and managed to acknowledge this error?

There are other problems but these should be enough I think to indicate that the most likely explanation of the observed phenomona is that there is a mind indapendant universe.

Soooooo

Then our observations tell us that the past resembles the future and alwasy has done. This being the case then the principle of induction is a valid method of reasoning.

This is a reasonable start, at least it actually attempts to show that we can have reason for believing that induction works, rather that just saying "you'd be dead if you didn't believe in induction", which would be true, but doesn't really show why induction must be (or probably is true).

I have no problem with accepting that the outside world exist or that it is mind independent. I'm not sure that you actually have shown these things to be true, but lets just assume they are for the time being.

So now your argument is that the the laws that govern the universe at a given time have always been the same as the laws governing the universe at a time preceding it. From that you conclude that the same will probably be true in the future. Without assuming induction to be true in the first place, I can only assume you used reasoning similar to this: every observation we have made is evidence of the underlying principle that the laws of nature are uniform. I briefly thought similar reasoning may be some sort of answer, but I quickly realized that it wasn't satisfactory. The same observations are also what you'd expect to see if the laws of nature were uniform until next thursday. In fact the observations support an infinite number of theories, so how do you determine which is correct. Occam's razor? Yet the value Occam's razor is not a mathematical law, it must be justified itself. Now how can Occam's razor be justified without alreaqdy assuming it to be true or for induction to hold?

evil religion wrote:
You need to get away from this obsesion with "certainty". The rational man will deal with the most likely explanations. If we limit ourselves to only certain things then there aint a lot we can discuss about anything really.

Sorry. I did not mean certainty. I just meant something that we do not instinctively feel to be true.

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline

LJoll wrote:
evil religion wrote:

Soooooo

This is a reasonable start, at least it actually attempts to show that we can have reason for believing that induction works, rather that just saying "you'd be dead if you didn't believe in induction", which would be true, but doesn't really show why induction must be (or probably is true).

I have no problem with accepting that the outside world exist or that it is mind independent.

Ok good

Quote:
I'm not sure that you actually have shown these things to be true, but lets just assume they are for the time being.

I dont purport to show their truth only that they are more likely than the alternatives and hence a rational person will accept them. 

Quote:
So now your argument is that the the laws that govern the universe at a given time have always been the same as the laws governing the universe at a time preceding it. From that you conclude that the same will probably be true in the future.

We observe that the laws of the universe have not changed and are constant. From this observation we infer that this will continue to be the case. 

Quote:
Without assuming induction to be true in the first place, I can only assume you used reasoning similar to this: every observation we have made is evidence of the underlying principle that the laws of nature are uniform.

If there is any order in the universe and the univere is indapendent of mind then this conclusion does follow. Otherwiese you need to explain why the universe appears to have order and constant laws when in fact it s does not.

Its quite clear that the universe does appear to have constant laws that don't change. If this is not the case and all of our appearances are incorrect you need to explain why. The simplest, and hence most rational explanation, is that there is indeed an underlying order to the universe. 

Quote:
I briefly thought similar reasoning may be some sort of answer, but I quickly realized that it wasn't satisfactory. The same observations are also what you'd expect to see if the laws of nature were uniform until next thursday.

Correct. 

Quote:
In fact the observations support an infinite number of theories, so how do you determine which is correct.

Occam's razor?

Basically yes.

Which is the most likely explanation?

The observations indicate that the universe has had constant laws up to the present time. You can say that these will change at any point (there are indeed infintly many of them) in the future but you then need to explain why? This makes any such theories less likely and hence the rational position based on the evidence is on of a constant universe with an underlying order.

Quote:
Yet the value Occam's razor is not a mathematical law, it must be justified itself. Now how can Occam's razor be justified without alreaqdy assuming it to be true or for induction to hold?

Without Occams razor every single wild explanation is equally valid. Any crazy explanation that fits the observations would have equal worth and be equally justfied. So we could say that pink pixies  sprinkle magic dust in our minds to make us forget that universe behaved differently in the past - this would fit the observations and without a razor to hand we would have to cocede that this is equally valid as the realist positoon. The elimination of the razor basically would render the term justfication meaningless. 

LJoll
User is offlineOffline
evil religion

evil religion wrote:

Without Occams razor every single wild explanation is equally valid. Any crazy explanation that fits the observations would have equal worth and be equally justfied. So we could say that pink pixies sprinkle magic dust in our minds to make us forget that universe behaved differently in the past - this would fit the observations and without a razor to hand we would have to cocede that this is equally valid as the realist positoon. The elimination of the razor basically would render the term justfication meaningless.

We seem to agree on the most part, except from whether Occam's razor can be rationally justified. Occam's razor feels like it should be true. It is aesthetically pleasing. It appears to have worked in the past (although we can't use this without begging the question0. But how can we use rational methods to show that it must be true. What you've done is show the unpleasing consquences for rational methods that arise if we cannot shoe that occam's razor is true. I do not believe that we can show that rationally, so I have given up trying to have beliefs that are truly rational. Try to show why occam's razor is true if you wish.

What criteria do you think a belief must fulfill to be considered rational? 

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
LJoll wrote: A mountain

LJoll wrote:

A mountain of detailed argument that doesn't actually deal with the fundamental issue. Someone on here called Todangst actually has an artice where he tries to overcome the problem, but his justification is flawed. Your arguments have simply been circular or simply ignoring the problem.

So you're going to wave away the many valid points made against you position by simply reiterating that you don't think they are on topic and that they are circular. Sorry, but if you want to be taken seriously, you have to support those claims with something more than a naked assertion that they are wrong. As far as I'm concerned, you haven't responded to any of my arguments, or the arguments from BobSpence or Todangst. 

BTW, Todangst was completely right in talking about TAG because that's where your arguments about the problem of induction lead.

LJoll wrote:

How do YOU distinguish between rational and irrational beliefs? To you have a criteria by which you can categorize them?

I think that beliefs which are held on deductive, inductive or empirical grounds are rational. Beliefs which are held on faith or without grounds are irrational.  

- Dr. Joy Brown

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline

LJoll wrote:
evil religion wrote:

Without Occams razor every single wild explanation is equally valid. Any crazy explanation that fits the observations would have equal worth and be equally justfied. So we could say that pink pixies sprinkle magic dust in our minds to make us forget that universe behaved differently in the past - this would fit the observations and without a razor to hand we would have to cocede that this is equally valid as the realist positoon. The elimination of the razor basically would render the term justfication meaningless.

We seem to agree on the most part, except from whether Occam's razor can be rationally justified. Occam's razor feels like it should be true.

Indeed 

Quote:
It is aesthetically pleasing.

I supose so 

Quote:
It appears to have worked in the past

Indeed 

Quote:
(although we can't use this without begging the question0.

I think we can we can look at what it would mean if it where not a valid method fro determining which competing beliefs we shoudl hold. If occams razor is denied as a valid deciding method then we are left with some crazy and indeed absurd conclusions.

The pink pixie theory of the universe is as valid as the relasit one. As is the blue unicorn distupting our minds with its magic horn, the evil scientist with his brain in a vat and any other crazy far feteched scenario that would fit in with the observations. If reasoning or justfication is to mean anything then occams razor must stay.

Quote:
But how can we use rational methods to show that it must be true. What you've done is show the unpleasing consquences for rational methods that arise if we cannot shoe that occam's razor is true.

Indeed rationality and reason itslef crumbles away BUT, and heres the rub, you are using reason to form the agrument against occams razor's validity. 

Quote:
I do not believe that we can show that rationally, so I have given up trying to have beliefs that are truly rational. Try to show why occam's razor is true if you wish.

Again we must not get caught up "tuth" or "certanties". Occams razor is a vital part of rational thought. Without it any explanation we care to imagine no matter how contrived has equal worth. Ponder this scenario

The univers is actually ordered with constant laws

But there are manevolant pixies that muddle the mindss of people and put doubts in there minds that make them doubt sound principles like occams razor.

This scenario is equally likely if we do indeed reject occams razor.  

Quote:
What criteria do you think a belief must fulfill to be considered rational?

It must be justfied and be the most likely explanation.

In order to bejustfied it must fit with the observations.

In order to be the most likely it must utlise the least number of assumptions.

The realist position is almost always the winner in this contest. The notion that the laws of the uinverse change makes many additional assumptions over and above the realist position (as outlined above) hence it is less likely and hence in a straight fight it losses. 

LJoll
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote: So you're

Tilberian wrote:

So you're going to wave away the many valid points made against you position by simply reiterating that you don't think they are on topic and that they are circular. Sorry, but if you want to be taken seriously, you have to support those claims with something more than a naked assertion that they are wrong. As far as I'm concerned, you haven't responded to any of my arguments, or the arguments from BobSpence or Todangst.

I've made many replies. Your posts repeat eachother and also points that I've already replied to. If you concisely present and original, or at least interesting, point I will be happy to reply to it. 

Tilberian wrote:
BTW, Todangst was completely right in talking about TAG because that's where your arguments about the problem of induction lead.

No they don't. You're wrong about that and, if he agrees, so is he.

Tilberian wrote:
I think that beliefs which are held on deductive, inductive or empirical grounds are rational. Beliefs which are held on faith or without grounds are irrational.

So you automatically define induction as rational. How do you then show that a "rational" belief is more likely to be true than an irrational one. Or, if you don't see induction as part of the definition of rationality but as one of the signs of rationality, how can you show that induction is rational?

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
LJoll wrote:

LJoll wrote:

Try to show why occam's razor is true if you wish.

Occam's Razor is not true or false. It is not a logical proposition. It is a pragmatic concession to the fact that we never have all the data. THAT DOES NOT MAKE IT LESS NECESSARY OR FUNDAMENTAL TO REASON.

We do not embrace Occam's Razor because we want to, or out of instinct. We embrace Occam's Razor because we have to in order to think. If you wish to assault Occam's Razor, the onus immediately shifts to you to defeat all the possible theories that would support Occam's Razor.

You: I don't think Occam's Razor is valid.

Me: Yes it is, because a purple martian who knows everything told me it is.

You: Come on, that's ridiculous.

Me: OK, tell me why it's ridiculous without using Occam's Razor.

You: I have here a complete history of every millisecond of your life. As you can see, at no time did you talk to a purple martian.

Me: Oh, I forgot to mention that the martian communicates telepathically.

You: Ok, here's a complete history of all the activity in your language centres along with a translation of that activity into thoughts. Still no record of the communication.

Me: Silly me. I neglected to mention that the martian teleported me into a timeless extradimensional space to give me the message, then sent me back to within one Planck-instant of the time I left so that the interval won't show up on your scans.

You: OK, I want the Razor back.

You see? No argument, no theory, no matter how well supported, can survive without the Razor. That includes your own theory that the Razor is unnecessary.

The Razor is a fundamental principle of reason.

- Dr. Joy Brown

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline

Tilberian wrote:
LJoll wrote:

Try to show why occam's razor is true if you wish.

Occam's Razor is not true or false. It is not a logical proposition. It is a pragmatic concession to the fact that we never have all the data. THAT DOES NOT MAKE IT LESS NECESSARY OR FUNDAMENTAL TO REASON.

We do not embrace Occam's Razor because we want to, or out of instinct. We embrace Occam's Razor because we have to in order to think. If you wish to assault Occam's Razor, the onus immediately shifts to you to defeat all the possible theories that would support Occam's Razor.

You: I have here a complete history of every millisecond of your life. As you can see, at no time did you talk to a purple martian.

You: Ok, here's a complete history of all the activity in your language centres along with a translation of that activity into thoughts. Still no record of the communication.

Me: Silly me. I neglected to mention that the martian teleported me into a timeless extradimensional space to give me the message, then sent me back to within one Planck-instant of the time I left so that the interval won't show up on your scans.

You see? No argument, no theory, no matter how well supported, can survive without the Razor. That includes your own theory that the Razor is unnecessary.

Very nicely put!

Occams razor is essential to the process of reasoning without all reasoning becomes pointless INCLUDING the very reasoning against occams razor! Its a self defeating argument.

LJoll
User is offlineOffline
evil religion wrote:

evil religion wrote:

I think we can we can look at what it would mean if it where not a valid method fro determining which competing beliefs we shoudl hold. If occams razor is denied as a valid deciding method then we are left with some crazy and indeed absurd conclusions.

The pink pixie theory of the universe is as valid as the relasit one. As is the blue unicorn distupting our minds with its magic horn, the evil scientist with his brain in a vat and any other crazy far feteched scenario that would fit in with the observations. If reasoning or justfication is to mean anything then occams razor must stay.

Ok. Now this is at least interesting. You seem to be justifying the use of Occam's razor on the grounds that rejecting it would give us no rational grounds for rejecting clearly ridiculous beliefs, such as that there are no pixies that disappear whenever someone looks in their direction. What, then, do you use to show that the belief in pixies is ridiculous? You cannot use Occam's razor, as that is what you're trying to justify in the first place. We can just know intuitively that pixies don't exist. It is this same intuitive sense that gives us the conclusions that Occam's razor formalises and that also tells us that god doesn't exist and that the laws governing the universe tomorrow will be the same as today.

Quote:
Indeed rationality and reason itslef crumbles away BUT, and heres the rub, you are using reason to form the agrument against occams razor's validity.

I do not deny all reason. I just deny that most of are conclusions are fundamentally rational.

Quote:
Again we must not get caught up "tuth" or "certanties". Occams razor is a vital part of rational thought. Without it any explanation we care to imagine no matter how contrived has equal worth. Ponder this scenario

The univers is actually ordered with constant laws

But there are manevolant pixies that muddle the mindss of people and put doubts in there minds that make them doubt sound principles like occams razor.

This scenario is equally likely if we do indeed reject occams razor.

Not necessarily. The fact that we cannot rationally show one conclusion to be more probable than another does not make both conclusions equally valid. In fact, that seems to be the mistake of many post-modern philosophers.

Quote:
It must be justfied and be the most likely explanation.

In order to bejustfied it must fit with the observations.

In order to be the most likely it must utlise the least number of assumptions.

I don't think this is a very good explanation of what it means for something to be rational. As I mentioned before, there are an infinite amount of explanations that fit the same observations. You cannot judge a theory simply in terms of the amount of assumptions it makes. It is easy to put forward a simple argument such as the malign demon or brain in a vat, which make hardly any assumptions, yet would not be considered likely.

I don't think this is really an explanation of what it means to be rational at all. You're just giving some examples of what you think it's rational to believe.

LJoll
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote:

Tilberian wrote:

Firstly. Even if Occam's razor isn't true, that would not mean that I would have to accept all proposition that could hypothetically be true as equally probable.

Secondly. The fact that it is difficult to make a rational argument witthout Occam's razor does not show that Occam's razor must be right. It shows that there is a problem with rational argument.

Thirdly. Did you use Occam's razor to decide that the argument in your example was ridiculous or...could you just instinctively tell?

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
LJoll wrote: Firstly. Even

LJoll wrote:

Firstly. Even if Occam's razor isn't true, that would not mean that I would have to accept all proposition that could hypothetically be true as equally probable.

That's exactly what the Razor does. The principle is that the theory with the fewest unobserved elements is more likely to be true, given competing theories that explain the data equally well. If you discard the Razor, you cannot even defend the theory that the Razor isn't valid without actually collecting data and assigning mathematical probabilities to each hypothetical alternate theory.

But you have a bigger problem. I said that Occam's Razor can be used to support the validity of induction. You said that Occam's Razor itself isn't valid. I pointed out that you can't say that without using Occam's Razor. You have come back and said that you can, because Occam's Razor can be replaced with...induction (assigning probabilities). So now your point that Occam's Razor is not a valid support for induction is supported by induction. So I guess induction wins either way. But you have said that induction amounts to nothing more than wishful thinking. So I guess your whole point rests only on wishful thinking. In other words, we are expected to accept your point that induction is not supported by Occam's Razor only because you want us to and you feel very strongly that this is the case. Sorry, but I need a better rationale than that. Once again, you've sawn off the branch you are sitting on.  

On the other hand, if you, like me, would accept that logical induction is a valid tool for making conclusions, you would also support Occam's Razor because we can observe that it is certainly more probable that a theory with fewer unobserved elements is true. Or, if you, like me, agreed that Occam's Razor is a valid tool for making conclusions, you would support induction because the theory that things that have always been the same will not change requires fewer unobserved elements than the theory that they will change. It's only when you insist that only deduction can tell us anything valid that you are stuck in this quagmire of making statement after statement that is, by your own measure, invalid.

LJoll wrote:

Secondly. The fact that it is difficult to make a rational argument witthout Occam's razor does not show that Occam's razor must be right. It shows that there is a problem with rational argument.

Not difficult...impossible. Every single one of your arguments on this board depends on the use of Occam's Razor as a fundamental assumption. These include any deductive arguments. 

Yes, Occam's Razor does point to a problem with rational argument, namely, that it always occurs in a condition of incomplete information. But this problem exists and must be dealt with. Even basic logical axioms can be refuted by the proposition that you are really a brain in a vat in a universe that works quite differently, but are being fed information that makes the universe seem to work the way it does.

Everything starts with empirical sensation, and the Razor is a basic tool of our consciousness that makes sensation digestible. It is before logic, and logic is contingent upon it. 

- Dr. Joy Brown

LJoll
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote: That's

Tilberian wrote:
That's exactly what the Razor does. The principle is that the theory with the fewest unobserved elements is more likely to be true, given competing theories that explain the data equally well. If you discard the Razor, you cannot even defend the theory that the Razor isn't valid without actually collecting data and assigning mathematical probabilities to each hypothetical alternate theory.

I KNOW what Occam's razor does. The fact that you don't acknowledge a rational basis for occam's razor doesn't mean that you a) cannot use an alternative principle, b) that you cannot use occam's razor and admit that your reasoning does not have a rational foundation or c) follow what instinctively makes sense. When you were a child, did you treat every single proposition that was underdetermined by the evidence as though they were equally probable? No. And you didn't invoke occam's razor either. You simply used your common sense.

Tilberian wrote:
But you have a bigger problem. I said that Occam's Razor can be used to support the validity of induction. You said that Occam's Razor itself isn't valid. I pointed out that you can't say that without using Occam's Razor. You have come back and said that you can, because Occam's Razor can be replaced with...induction (assigning probabilities). So now your point that Occam's Razor is not a valid support for induction is supported by induction. So I guess induction wins either way. But you have said that induction amounts to nothing more than wishful thinking. So I guess your whole point rests only on wishful thinking. In other words, we are expected to accept your point that induction is not supported by Occam's Razor only because you want us to and you feel very strongly that this is the case. Sorry, but I need a better rationale than that. Once again, you've sawn off the branch you are sitting on.

I never used induction to dismiss occam's razor. Even if I did it wouldn't matter, because I believe in induction. I havn't said that induction isn't supported by occam's razor. You have grossly misunderstood everything I have said.

Tilberian wrote:
Not difficult...impossible. Every single one of your arguments on this board depends on the use of Occam's Razor as a fundamental assumption. These include any deductive arguments.

Yes, Occam's Razor does point to a problem with rational argument, namely, that it always occurs in a condition of incomplete information. But this problem exists and must be dealt with. Even basic logical axioms can be refuted by the proposition that you are really a brain in a vat in a universe that works quite differently, but are being fed information that makes the universe seem to work the way it does.

Then how can you show that these axioms are true? In what way is this arguing your point? 

My arguments do not rely on occam's razor.

Can you answer my question about how you know that certain propositions, that you use to support occam's razor,are aburd? Do you know that they are true because Occam's razor tells you, or do you know occam's razor is true because they are absurd?

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
LJoll wrote: When you were

LJoll wrote:
When you were a child, did you treat every single proposition that was underdetermined by the evidence as though they were equally probable? No. And you didn't invoke occam's razor either. You simply used your common sense.

Occam's razor is not something you invoke. You are always applying it.  Yes, you can explicitly make reference to the principle but this does not mean it is not being applied when it isn't being directly referred too.

LJoll wrote:
Can you answer my question about how you know that certain propositions, that you use to support occam's razor,are aburd? Do you know that they are true because Occam's razor tells you, or do you know occam's razor is true because they are absurd?

You've misunderstood the Razor. It doesn't tell us whether something is true or false, it only tells us what is more probable out of a selection of explanations for a given phenomena.

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
LJoll wrote: I KNOW what

LJoll wrote:

I KNOW what Occam's razor does. The fact that you don't acknowledge a rational basis for occam's razor doesn't mean that you a) cannot use an alternative principle, b) that you cannot use occam's razor and admit that your reasoning does not have a rational foundation or c) follow what instinctively makes sense.

a) Using an alternative principle is fine. But in your case, you've already disparaged that alternative principle as being without rational basis.

b) If you admit that your reasoning is without reason, then there is no longer any reason for anyone to listen to you and even less reason for them to attempt discourse with you. Buh bye.

c) Following what instinctively makes sense is fine, but we do understand our instincts well enough to use them as guides in our discourse. Instinctive behaviour is no substitute for reason in a civilized society.

LJoll wrote:

When you were a child, did you treat every single proposition that was underdetermined by the evidence as though they were equally probable? No. And you didn't invoke occam's razor either. You simply used your common sense.

Common sense IS Occam's Razor at work in many cases and you don't need to be congniscent of the formal principle in order to apply it. Yes, as children we used inductive reasoning to assign probabilities to competing theories. This is something we learn to do, BTW, and is far from instinctive. Babies have no ability to use logic of any kind, inductive or deductive. 

LJoll wrote:

I never used induction to dismiss occam's razor.

You didn't use it to dismiss it, you said it could be used instead of Occam's Razor to assign probabilities to competing theories.

LJoll wrote:

Even if I did it wouldn't matter, because I believe in induction.

No you don't! This entire thread has been about you claiming that induction is not a rational basis for making truth claims. You've said over and over that induction is only supported by instinct.

LJoll wrote:

I havn't said that induction isn't supported by occam's razor.

I know, you've been trying to attack Occam's Razor itself. Which is doomed because all such attempts are self-refuting.

LJoll wrote:

You have grossly misunderstood everything I have said.

I don't think so.

LJoll wrote:

Then how can you show that these axioms are true? In what way is this arguing your point?

Because, unlike you, I acknowledge that what we use as truth is not Truth. You think you are revealing a higher order of truth by using deductive reasoning. I'm saying that everything starts with mindless empiricism and that rules of logic, deductive and inductive, are only arbitrary guidelines established later. They are justified in the fact that they keep us alive and don't commit the ultimate self-refutation by annihilating the holder. In this, deductive and inductive reasoning are equally valid and invalid. 

LJoll wrote:

My arguments do not rely on occam's razor.

My invisible friend tells me that they do. 

LJoll wrote:

Of course I instinctively feel that that they are absurd. But I only know that they are absurd because I apply Occam's Razor. Of course, this is more important when I'm confronted with a less absurd proposition. Even more importantly, I can only discuss with you whether they are absurd or not by pointing to Occam's Razor, since we both understand that principle. There may not be a basis for understanding in what we find absurd...certainly theists believe many things that I find to be obviously, ridiculously absurd.

Using absurdities to defend Occam's Razor is only an illustrative trick. There are many times when the Razor is nearly useless, for instance, when you are trying to decide between theories that are very much alike. The point is, the Razor is an important element of reason and cannot be discarded as irrational as you would like to do.

- Dr. Joy Brown

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
LJoll wrote:

LJoll wrote:
Tilberian wrote:

Thirdly. Did you use Occam's razor to decide that the argument in your example was ridiculous or...could you just instinctively tell?

You missed the point that Occam's Razor is neither 'true' or 'false'. The proper question is whether it is a useful principle to decide between various theories or propositions which are all 'logically' consistent with other relevant, accepted data.

So the theory that minimises the number of additional assumed entities, attributes, otherwise unsupported ideas appeals to us, of course. This approach minimises the complexity of the total set of explanations we need to provide useful explanations of 'reality'.

By useful, I mean they allow us to design stuff which works, predict the way various things, processes, etc will change over time to an adequate degree of precision, as confirmed by repeated tests and/or observations. So we can design and construct ever more complex artefacts, and explore the Universe in ever more detail.

Of course, in principle, some alternative, vastly more complex, set of theories may prove to be equally 'accurate' and useful, and may even conceivably more accurately reflect 'ultimate reality', but that is really academic. Until a more complex idea can be devised which actually provides better more useful descriptions and predictions, it is eminently rational to run with the simpler set, if only because it is easier to manage and reason with.

There are rational reasons to reject theories that introduce more independent entities and properties that are not otherwise observable, because we have no independent way investigate those extra items.

If we assume intelligent agents like pixies or gods, then we have destroyed, in principle, any useful predictive power of the 'theory' until we come with an exhaustive psychological profile of such agents, IOW yet another theory is required, leading to a version of the 'infinite regress' problem. So in the absence of evidence pro or con these entities we are rationally justified in discarding theories with such elements, really because they are actually more complicated because 'agents' introduce a whole new layer of extra properties, ie those of the agents themselves. It is tempting foe Theists to see God as a 'simpler' explanation, but all they have done is wrap all the complexities inside a convenient label without actually explaining any of them, so it superficially looks like they are proposing 'one' entity.

So we don't actually require our theories to accurately describe ultimate reality, just that they reflect those aspects of Truth that affect us sufficiently well, even if only by analogy, to be 'useful' to us, in manipulating and exploring the world, and also to suggest ways to further refine the theories themselves. And of course not explicitly contradict some well-established observation.

So the 'problem' of whether a theory is ultimately 'true' we can safely leave to the philosophers. The simpler one, with equal explanatory power, is the one which will be more productive because it is easier to work with, why make it harder than necessary to make practical progress?

WTF is 'irrational' about this approach?

LJoll
User is offlineOffline
Topher wrote: You've

Topher wrote:
You've misunderstood the Razor. It doesn't tell us whether something is true or false, it only tells us what is more probable out of a selection of explanations for a given phenomena.

Why make such an utterly pointless post? You can clearly see that your objection is simply to a typing mistake on my behalf and doesn't really effect the argument at all. I meant 'absurd' not 'true'.

LJoll
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote: a) Using

Tilberian wrote:
a) Using an alternative principle is fine. But in your case, you've already disparaged that alternative principle as being without rational basis.

b) If you admit that your reasoning is without reason, then there is no longer any reason for anyone to listen to you and even less reason for them to attempt discourse with you. Buh bye.

c) Following what instinctively makes sense is fine, but we do understand our instincts well enough to use them as guides in our discourse. Instinctive behaviour is no substitute for reason in a civilized society.

Your arguments do not have a rational basis either. I'm just admitting that mine don't. Your most important beliefs were formed instinctively and you've just tried to give it a rational structure to justify it.

Instinct is far better than reason in a civilized society. If we lose our instincts and have to rely on reason we'd be blind. Every direction would look the same. 

Tilberian wrote:
Common sense IS Occam's Razor at work in many cases and you don't need to be congniscent of the formal principle in order to apply it. Yes, as children we used inductive reasoning to assign probabilities to competing theories. This is something we learn to do, BTW, and is far from instinctive. Babies have no ability to use logic of any kind, inductive or deductive.

The fact that babies don't diffrentiate between opposing theories doesn't stop it being instinctive. Our instincts develop.

Common sense is not Occam's razor. They just happen to give similar results. 

Tilberian wrote:
You didn't use it to dismiss it, you said it could be used instead of Occam's Razor to assign probabilities to competing theories.

Well I didn't say that exactly, but the point is that I don't need an algorithm to asign probabilities. 

Tilberian wrote:
No you don't! This entire thread has been about you claiming that induction is not a rational basis for making truth claims. You've said over and over that induction is only supported by instinct.

Yes. I trust my instincts.

Tilberian wrote:
I know, you've been trying to attack Occam's Razor itself. Which is doomed because all such attempts are self-refuting.

You've misunderstood me. I'm not trying to put forward a rational argument showing that occam's razor is untrue. I'm trying to show that occam's razor cannot be shown to be true (or probable) from a rational argument. 

Tilberian wrote:
LJoll wrote:

You have grossly misunderstood everything I have said.

I don't think so.

You really have. I simply don't hold the views you are presenting as my own.

Tilberian wrote:
Because, unlike you, I acknowledge that what we use as truth is not Truth. You think you are revealing a higher order of truth by using deductive reasoning. I'm saying that everything starts with mindless empiricism and that rules of logic, deductive and inductive, are only arbitrary guidelines established later. They are justified in the fact that they keep us alive and don't commit the ultimate self-refutation by annihilating the holder. In this, deductive and inductive reasoning are equally valid and invalid.

Now distinguish between 'truth' and 'Truth'. This is quite important, because if your 'truth' isn't reallt 'True', why should we care about it?

Tilberian wrote:
My invisible friend tells me that they do.

Well you're both wrong. 

Tilberian wrote:
Of course I instinctively feel that that they are absurd. But I only know that they are absurd because I apply Occam's Razor.

Then your argument is clearly circular. You used examples of absurd things to show that occam's razor is untrue and you used occam's razor to show that the same things are absurd. 

Tilberian wrote:
Using absurdities to defend Occam's Razor is only an illustrative trick. There are many times when the Razor is nearly useless, for instance, when you are trying to decide between theories that are very much alike. The point is, the Razor is an important element of reason and cannot be discarded as irrational as you would like to do.

I can agree that it's usually useful. I can't agree that you have any way of showing that arguments that make less assumptions are more likely to be true than similarly supported arguments that make more assumptions. That, you just feel to be true.