Kirk Cameron and Ray Comforting Banana talk about an infinite universe

Switch89
User is offlineOffline
Kirk Cameron and Ray Comforting Banana talk about an infinite universe

Has anyone seen the video where Kirk and Ray talk about the infinite universe? They claim that one could not exist because of the 2nd law of thermodynamics (increasing entropy). I wanted to ask Sapient what his response to this is?

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
But the universe is not an

But the universe is not an infinite entity. Comfort the douchebag is strawmanning cosmology. My positions on the matter can be found here:

The Absurdity of the Cosmological Argument

Entropy and Life- The Functions of Thermodynamics and their implications for biological systems

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Switch89 wrote: Has anyone

Switch89 wrote:
Has anyone seen the video where Kirk and Ray talk about the infinite universe? They claim that one could not exist because of the 2nd law of thermodynamics (increasing entropy). I wanted to ask Sapient what his response to this is?

That depends on what he is refering to as 'infinite'.

If he means that it always existed in this form (Steady state), then yes, it does break the second Law.

If he means that it always existed in one form or another (multiverse for example), then no, it doesn't. 

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Switch89 wrote:

If he means that it always existed in this form (Steady state), then yes, it does break the second Law.

If he means that it always existed in one form or another (multiverse for example), then no, it doesn't.

Is the 2nd law valid in other universes? I was under the impression that this was not necessarily the case. 

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak

wavefreak wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Switch89 wrote:

Is the 2nd law valid in other universes? I was under the impression that this was not necessarily the case.

The laws could be rather different, but I'm pretty sure that the 2nd law will still apply. 

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
cpt. pineapple wrote: That

cpt. pineapple wrote:

In all honesty, I highly doubt the man has an inkling to the complexity of infinite, thus, his use of the word is meaningless.  Furthermore, he has said on multiple occasions that the universe is finite which is why he beleives it has a cuase, which he beleives is God so him arguing for an infinite universe is just being contradictory to his overall stance.

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog wrote: cpt.

illeatyourdog wrote:

cpt. pineapple wrote:

In all honesty, I highly doubt the man has an inkling to the complexity of infinite, thus, his use of the word is meaningless. Furthermore, he has said on multiple occasions that the universe is finite which is why he beleives it has a cuase, which he beleives is God so him arguing for an infinite universe is just being contradictory to his overall stance.

Ray Comfortdidn't argue for an infinite universe, Sapeint did. Comfort is arguing against an infinite universe. 

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
cpt. pineapple wrote: Ray

cpt. pineapple wrote:
Ray Comfortdidn't argue for an infinite universe, Sapeint did. Comfort is arguing against an infinite universe.

Either way, my initial point stands.  The man does not believe is using common accepted definitions for his points.  He pefers to use his own made up definitions for things without telling anyone.  Anyone who has seen him debate evolution knows what I'm talking about. 

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff