Practice: The "Do their work for them" challenge!

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
Practice: The "Do their work for them" challenge!

Just for fun I thought I'd put out a challenge to all takers to produce a strong, cogent argument in favor of cosmological creationism. It doesn't have to be within the christian context, anything will do. The arguments should be in the easiest to read format possible (premise a, premise b, . . . , premise z, conclusion). I'd like arguments against arguments to follow the same format. If you're familiar with logical notation I'd love to see things written that way, but not on its own.

The point here is to provide practice for those of us who do not spend a lot of time making or evaluating arguments.

The idea here is not to infer that the universe was created, but rather how it could have been created.

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
You mean like this? 1.

You mean like this?

1. Everything that exists has a cause.

2. The universe exists.

C: The universe has a cause. 

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
Textom wrote: You mean

Textom wrote:

You mean like this?

1. Everything that exists has a cause.

2. The universe exists.

C: The universe has a cause.

Yeah, like that. Now, ideally someone would take issue with premise 1, then we'd take that and run with it. However, it seems we've got our hands fully with the CSE copyvio spamming. Here's hopeing we can keep "business as usual" while fighting that off.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Since I believe the totality

Since I believe the totality of existence is uncaused I don't care for the cosmological argument. We can turn the dial backward to the big bang but then what was "before" that. Even a concepulization like A caused B caused C caused A begs the question "what caused the circular relationship?".