Atheists Needed . . . September 21 . . . Lynchburg, VA

utopian
utopian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheists Needed . . . September 21 . . . Lynchburg, VA

On Friday, September 21, John Rankin will be speaking at Liberty University in response to the "The New Atheism".

The topic is: "Christianity and 'The New Atheism'": Answers for Today's Skeptics including Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, The Rational Response Squad, and The Blasphemy Challenge.

The organizers are interested in inviting the RRS (or a RRS sanctioned representative) to take the stage with Rankin and defend/debate their views and challenge the students.

This is a unique audience in that there will be fence-sitters there -- the demographic that politicians and religious proselytizers drool over. It'd be a shame to let Rankin speak unchecked..

This event is open to all. Afterwards, we'll claim a pub as a freethinker safety zone and unwind/debrief with some cold brew. : ) For those considering taking the stage, I can put you up. I have a big loft downtown.

- - - - -

Time: Friday, Sept. 21 at 7 p.m.

Place: Liberty University, Demoss Hall, Room 1113. (Very easy to find. Liberty is right off the highway. Demoss is the main building on campus. It's in the picture above. 1113 is our largest classroom. There will be signs..)

MapQuest: 1971 University Boulevard, Lynchburg, Virginia 24502

nullusdeus
SuperfanBronze Member
nullusdeus's picture
User is offlineOffline
utopian wrote: On Friday,

utopian wrote:

On Friday, Would anyone either from RRS or as a reprisentative of the RRS like to take the stage and defend the cause?

Hi utopian, I live in the area and would like to attend, however, I don't think I could be of much help as a "defender."

Miracles don't exist. "Miracle" is a word given to a preposterous event that a theist considers dogmatically advantageous. Def. - Ecclesiastical sensationalism.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
SOB, damn, I used to live

SOB, damn, I used to live there. I am taking my mom up to visit a friend in DC and will be attending the AAI conference as well at the end of the month.

I'd love to see RRS take on those guys. Anyone who is outside that comic book empire who has lived there for any length of time knows what a pain in the patoot Jerry's college and family have been to Lynchburg. 

It really should be no reflection on ALL the students. I used to work with quite a few of them. Not all of them subscribe to everything Jerry said.

I've even run into students who thought the college was a joke and were only going there for the free scholorships.

But if I still lived there I would definately go. I'd love to see them squerm on their home turf. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
You should be damn proud

You should be damn proud that the RRS is being mentioned alongside  Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris,

They are professional scientists/philosophers/journalists with many years experience in their fields while the RRS are amateurs (in the non-derogatory meaning of the word).

They will be comparing Sapient to Plato next Smiling

Well done all