Alan Chambers: Ex-Gay Extraordinaire

jackal
jackal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Alan Chambers: Ex-Gay Extraordinaire

Today NPR's "Day to Day" aired a short interview with Exodus International president Alan Chambers. Exodus International's mission is to convert homosexuals into heterosexuals. The organization's founder, Michael Bussey, fell in love with another male counselor and now condemns all de-gaying programs. Oops.

As for Alan Chambers, he's not only the president: he's also a member. He says he's a completely reformed "ex-gay." Does he still feel the occasional lust for members of the same sex? Yes, he says, but "that's just a being human being." No, that's just being gay. Being human covers having sexual urges, but if those urges are for members of the same sex, then you are at least partially gay. Similarly, adults who are not currently sexually active still have sexual orientations.

Chambers goes on to say that EI is there for people who "chose to decide something different than what the world says is best for their life." He "categorically" denies that "the world is anti-homosexual." I guess his world doesn't include countries like Algeria, Mozambique or Zimbabwe, where simply being homosexual is illegal. Rather, Chambers said that in this society, "homosexuality is celebrated, it's something that is taught in the schools as good." Where do you live? San Francisco? Only in the '60s or current times? In the middle of a Gay Pride parade? I guess that as an anti-gay activist he likes to pretend to be the bottom dog... I mean underdog.

[edit: typos]

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Champers is right. My entire

double post

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Champers is right. My entire

Champers is right. My entire secular education was aimed at making me gay. In the morning we would start class by talking about how great it is to be gay. During recess and lunch we were organized into gay parades and then in gym class they made us wear these tight short shorts. It was so pro-gay I'm lucky to get out of their without a serious sense of interior design.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

AReasonableLu
AReasonableLu's picture
User is offlineOffline
So incredibly sad...

So incredibly sad...

WolfgangSenff
WolfgangSenff's picture
User is offlineOffline
  stillmatic

stillmatic wrote:
Chambers is right. My entire secular education was aimed at making me gay. In the morning we would start class by talking about how great it is to be gay. During recess and lunch we were organized into gay parades and then in gym class they made us wear these tight short shorts. It was so pro-gay I'm lucky to get out of there without a serious sense of interior design.

I had a similar upbringing. My sex education class in third grade was nuts. Literally.

"Jesus -- the other white Moses" - Me.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I think that whole "curing

I think that whole "curing homosexuality" BS qualifies as an irrational precept.

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Chambers goes on to say

Chambers goes on to say that EI is there for people who "chose to decide something different than what the world says is best for their life."

How irarational is it? Let's reverse the scenario and make homsexual life the majority and heterosexual life the minority. Could you then make people homosexual? The only real world enviornment where I can think that this exist is in prison, do to a lack of heterosexual option by default homesexuality becomes the majority of sex taking place. Are there men/women who become homosexual in prison or are they that way going in?

Obviously I don't think the word "cure" is appropriate, it's more like forced conditioning.

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William S. Burroughs

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
{Rant ON} See, this kind of

{Rant ON}

See, this kind of shit is one of the biggest things that pisses me off about Christianity. How many people are there who were raised Christian, discovered gay feelings, immediately felt guilty, and now rant and rave about how evil homosexuality is? The sad thing is that it's a double whammy. I feel so sorry for these people because they are sad for themselves, and lonely, and living a lie -- AND they're trying to convince others that it's a good idea.

It's a disease that spreads... unlike homosexuality, which is genetic, and can't be "caught" by watching something on TV, or attending a gay pride rally.

Now, can people be talked into experimenting? Sure! That's what college is for, right? Will that make them gay? Nope. The gay ones will say, "Hey, this is better than that other thing," and the straight ones will go back to the opposite gender...

and a few lucky ones will discover that it's all fun.

And what's wrong with experimenting to find out??!

Nothing!

Just like there's nothing wrong with screwing like bunnies with your boyfriend/girlfriend to see if you're sexually compatible before you go off and do that other religious anachronism... marriage...

{Rant OFF}

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism