Duke prosicutor disbard. OP/ED

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Duke prosicutor disbard. OP/ED

Before the left wing feminists and minority supporters jump all over this, I want to positively assert that this is not about justifying any crime or harm to anyone. This is strictly about media creating a culture of fear and people taking advantage of that fear.

Nifong the now disbard prosicutor is a perfect example of the culture of fear that media sells in all it's armchair quarterbacking when someone is accused of a crime. Certainly it is legal to report news, but our media has fostered in society a presumption of guilt which allows over zealous media and goverment officials to take advantage of that fear.

Even if these Duke players had done something, because of the unethical actions of the prosicutor, who cheated to make a name for himself, those players rights were violated. What people have to remember, is that it is NOT about them when stuff like this happens. It is about the system. When such things like this happen, eventually a coorupt and broken system will end up effecting everyone.

Do not compartmentalize this issue as being about just this case. This is about protecting the core concept of rights for all people. In your personaly life, outside of being accused of crime, everyone at some point has been falsely accused of something, by a co-worker, or family member or friend. Maybe money was missing from a desk, or a sandwich was missing from the frig, and you were accused of taking it when you know you didnt. Now take that feeling and apply it to actually being accused of a serious crime.

Unfortunatly I think our media leans toward spinning stories about the accused before they are even put on trial, as emplied guilt. Weither the girl lied or the players are hiding something is not the issue.The real issue consists of cases not being decided on emotional appeal either way, for the victim or the accused. The cases should be based on provable fact, nothing more nothing less.

This prosicutor played on the fears of the public and as a result felt he could get away with cheating because "nobody likes a rapist". It is true that society doesnt want rapists on the street. But what we should value even more, is a goverment that is willing to take a step back and us objectivity when dealing with accusations.

Our atmosphere of fear is creating a society that would rather use dragnets that scoop up the innocent, than protect the rights of all. It is easy to say, "Lock em up" based on the nature of the charge. It is much harder to look for facts. But protecting rights is not easy but certainly is well worth it.

It is not about one person, or one event, or one crime. It is about what kind of society and goverment we want to live under. A goverment that can simply drag you off the street because they think you did something, might placate the emotions of some. But it will not protect the freedom of all.

Nifong is a perfect example of what kind of goverment we do not want to live under. Not because of the players or the victim. But because emotions ruled insted of reason. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I agree.

I agree.

IzzyPop
IzzyPop's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am not really sure that

I am not really sure that this case is a good example. I live in the area, so I can tell you a few things that are not common knowledge on the national front that helped make this a huge travisty.

1. Durham is extremely sensitive to racial issues. If a dispute arises anywhere that involves a white person and a minority, the causasian is invariably refered to as a racist on Letters to the Editors page.

2. The reporter that broke the story for the Durham newspaper has a history of creating stories instead of reporting them. See this story (I could not find the actual Herald article) The same reporter also broke the Duke story. When she called the hotel's AGM (a black man) about the truth of this, her first question was, "What is it like to be an Uncle Tom?" My wife worked at the hotel during this 'controversy'.

3. Dook University is located in a not really nice part of Durham. There is a pretty big socioecomonic gap between the college students and the surrounding community. Even small disputes have a tendency to blow up, this was no small issue.

4. Mr. Nifong was a appointed DA by the governor. Mr. Nifong has been a goverment employee for decades, but had never been a criminal prosecutor. By accepting the appointment to DA and getting re-elected, he stood to over double his pension.

Given the above, the timeline of the events, and my general beliefs on human decency, I see Nifong as more of a tragic character than an evil one.

In the beginning, his lack of experience led him to say somethings to the Herald reporter that he should not have and were unsupported by the evidence, but were supported by his own assuptions and/or hopes. The local public outcry and national attention that followed these statements effectivly painted him into a corner.

You know how hard it is to admit that you were wrong, now try picturing admitting you were wrong to everyone in the country. And that admission would probably cost you your job of almost 30 years and your pension. It was a very hard thing to do and Mr. Nifong lacked the moral fortitude to admit his mistake(s).

I am not in any way, shape, or form defending or condoning Mr. Nifong's actions, just positing a different motivation then the evils of government gone wrong.

"When you hit your thumb with a hammer it's nice to be able to blaspheme. It takes a special kind of atheist to jump up and down shout, 'Oh, random fluctuations-in-the-space-time-continuum!'"-Terry Pratchett

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
"He stood to double his

"He stood to double his pension". There you have it. He DID let his emotions and greed rule him. You jump at any carrot dangled in front of you and never consider weither you are qualified. Every job I have ever had, when I tell a boss I cant do something, I mean it. I dont put myself in positions I cant handle or am not qualified to handle. That is still no excuse for what he did. Once he was in he tried to "Prove himself".

It makes me wonder how many other cases he fudged on and cut corners with. 

Ethics should say that you go where the facts lead you, not where you want them to go. Not only would I sue him, I'd sue the Governor as well for appointing someone that inexperianced. This same type of "buddy system" is what Bush has done and know what a mess that can be.

What scares me the most about all this, is that these players had financial support and family support. If it had been a group of poor people (trailer parks or urban streets) accused of the same thing, The trial would be over and  innocent people would be in jail.

Most people dont understand that in most municipalities the prosicution has seemingly limitless funds compaired to  the defense lawyer provided by the state, is limited and most of the time juggling multiple cases. If there is any enequity that needs to be fixed, this should be one of them. 

I love capitalism, but there are some things that should be based on human rights and not ability to pay. When you are accused of something that could take your freedom away, why should your ability to defend yourself be limited because you are not rich?

I think unfortunatly what is lost in all this is that the race card was played, when the reality is that the only reason these guys were able to defend themseves was because they had the monitary means. If they had been poor white people they'd be in jail and Nifong would still be a DA.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

IzzyPop
IzzyPop's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with you almost

I agree with you almost 100%.  I was pointing out that I do not believe that he started out with bad or greedy intentions.  The situation passed his experience and judgment levels pretty early on.  And a lawsuit will most likely be on its way.  Dook settled with the lacross coach that got fired over this a few days ago.  More money will be on its way, I'm sure.

"When you hit your thumb with a hammer it's nice to be able to blaspheme. It takes a special kind of atheist to jump up and down shout, 'Oh, random fluctuations-in-the-space-time-continuum!'"-Terry Pratchett