More State / Church blurring in Missouri.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
More State / Church blurring in Missouri.

In the last few years I have been really embarassed to say I am from Missouri. We have got to turn this trend around.

Bill aimed at increasing cooperation between church, state passes

By The Associated Press

'); aCampaigns = new Array(); aCampaigns[224] = 100; aAds = new Array(); nAdsysTime = new Date().getTime()/1000; if ((nAdsysTime >= 1174712400) && (nAdsysTime <= 1209358799)) { aAd = new Array('news_state+middle', '76938', 'js'); aAd[7] = 10; aAd[8] = 0; aAd[9] = 224; aAd[10] = 0; aAd[11] = 0; aAds[aAds.length] = aAd; } if ((nAdsysTime >= 1175576400) && (nAdsysTime <= 1491281999)) { aAd = new Array('news_state+middle', '78245', 'js'); aAd[7] = 10; aAd[8] = 0; aAd[9] = 224; aAd[10] = 0; aAd[11] = 0; aAds[aAds.length] = aAd; } adsys_displayAd('http://adsys.townnews.com', 'newstribune.com', aAds, aCampaigns); // -->

The Missouri House gave final legislative approval Tuesday to a bill that requires state employees to coordinate with faith-based organizations.
The measure, which cleared the House on a 122-27 vote, orders the Department of Social Services to designate liaisons to work with the faith-based groups to help people in need of state assistance.

House sponsor Rep. Jeff Grisamore said there are many such groups throughout the state that could help make state assistance programs more effective and save money - including more than 100 faith-based groups that run drug and alcohol treatment programs.

The Senate passed the bill in late February, so it now goes to Gov. Matt Blunt.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sugarfree is going to be

Sugarfree is going to be soooo happy!!!  lol.  Out of curiosity, when they say 'faith-based' do they really mean 'Christian'?  Can a Muslim based program get the same funding as a Christian program?

If god takes life he's an indian giver

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am doing some digging now

I am doing some digging now to see if "other" religions have gotten any funds. If so, it is still a blending of church/state.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree that it is certainly

I agree that it is certainly a blending of church and state regardless which religious denomination.  I was thinking that perhaps if it was only Christian religion then that would really open themselves up to a discrimination issue.  (After all, no one cares if the non-religious get discriminated against!)

If god takes life he's an indian giver

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
If so, I say we start our

If so, I say we start our own religion and see if we get funding. 

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote: If so,

zarathustra wrote:

Actually, I thought about that...not so much as starting a religion but to see if funding is available to secular groups (which it should be).  I just do not understand why there is such a big push for faith-based initiative programs.  Obviously, if there is a need for services then funding should be made available, but why "faith-based"?

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
HERE is a list of recipients

HERE is a list of recipients as of 2003, I am still trying to find something more current.

kmisho
kmisho's picture
User is offlineOffline
Faith-based is a euphemism

Faith-based is a euphemism for christian in the same way that intelligent design is a euphemism for creationism.

The problem with any faith-based program, in America, is that it is a de facto endorsement and promotion of christianity given how greatly christianity outnumbers all other American religions. Don't kid yourself; the designers of the faith-based initiative knew this. The government could give out money to some Buddhist or Muslim groups but they would by sheer numbers be no more than tokens of the 'fairness' of the system. And some people would be fooled by this patina of fairness.

kmisho
kmisho's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote:zarathustra

jce wrote:
zarathustra wrote:

Actually, I thought about that...not so much as starting a religion but to see if funding is available to secular groups (which it should be).  I just do not understand why there is such a big push for faith-based initiative programs.  Obviously, if there is a need for services then funding should be made available, but why "faith-based"?

There is no REAL answer to this question. But the answer they give is that people of "faith" are so darn nice and charitable that it only makes sense to support the cornerstone of American charitability.

Didn't you know? Religion is the most helpful thing there is.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
*Bump* (for Susan)

*Bump* (for Susan)

DoubtingThomas
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: In the last few

BGH wrote:
In the last few years I have been really embarassed to say I am from Missouri. We have got to turn this trend around.

I hear ya!! The reason I did not want to move back here. Glad you caught this one.

Strange the city governments and Mo. State U. are in the "faith-based" money list. Must be due to what specific projects are supported.

The Mo. Legislature website has a screen to find what the voting was on individual bills. Still trying to find a list of who voted which way for all bills. Want to see how the local yokels voted.

The only way this can be turned around is to get free-thinking inteligent people to run for office, State and Federal (an impossible task, it seems). Until then, all we can do is keep sending nasty-grams via e-mail and post office expressing our feelings.

All we, as individuals, can do is try to get more people to vote. Going to the local political debates and asking them pointed questions on how their religious beliefs are going to affect their voting would give the issue more public exposure. By joining the local political party organization, more pressure could be brought on potential candidates. This is easier done in the bigger cites than in my area. I suspect I will be run out of town on a rail when I do it during the next election.

** I have been having problems getting connected and staying connected more than a couple minutes to RRS since Sunday afternoon. Takes up to 3 minutes to change screens. Anybody else having a problem?? Is RRS getting overloaded??

"What the world needs is an enema." Jack Nicholson, "Batman"

DoubtingThomas
User is offlineOffline
Just read the thread on the

Just read the thread on the Pennsylvania legislature prayer breakfast. More scary stuff. Even more so that a California based fundie group is pushing for all states to jump on the band wagon. So, Missouri is not alone in moving down the wrong path.

Only a few of these type articles ever reach the newspapers. The news magizines (Time, Newsweek, etc.) are printing a higher number of articles that support religion. One of them (forgot which) had an article recently on Einstein with a brief comment that tried to make him out as a theist. They used his comment about Spinoza's god.

The average working stiff, the bulk of the population, has no idea what is occurring. The debates between atheists and theists are good, but like the Nightline show tonight, the people who need to see them will be in bed.

Oh, what to do. What to do. . .

"What the world needs is an enema." Jack Nicholson, "Batman"

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: *Bump* (for

BGH wrote:
*Bump* (for Susan)

Thanks.  The site got locked up last night about 10 PM and I still had 25 or 30 posts to go.

Today - well, happily we're LOADED with posts.

However, I am now completely bald from reading your original post and pulling my hair out.

Yes, I think "faith based" around here does, in fact, mean xian.

This one is a double-whammy, though.  Not only are state workers going to be forced to send folks for religious counseling, OUR TAX DOLLARS are going to pay for it. Yup, the next thing you know, state money is going to be funding those "faith based" initiatives.

'Scuse me now.  I'm going to be sick. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.