Canadian Chapter of RRS?

Ruttled
User is offlineOffline
Canadian Chapter of RRS?

Hi everyone,

I have just joined this forum but I have become familiar with RRS through Myspace connections made initially through David Mill's space.  I have been thoroughly enjoying familiarizing myself with RRS.  I think you are all performing an incredibly important service for humanity.  As we seem to be drifting back into 13th century (or 12th or 14th, you get the idea) an organized, informed repsonse to religion is more important than ever.

I am in Toronto, Canada, and while we may not have the same number of religious fundamentalists per capita as in the US, membership in pentecostal, fundamentalist, and charismatic churches are on the rise here. I think it was Jefferson who said, "the price of freedom is eternal vigilence," and those of us to the north act smug and incredulous at the rise of religion in the US and at home at our own peril.  I sometimes feel like my language is a little over the top, then I read some of the hate mail direceted at atheists and realize that like it or not, we are in a fight.  The fight is global.  And a very important difference between the atheists I have met and spoken with and the fundamenatlists (of any religion that I can think of) is that we want to fight armed with reason, education and open minds, while they simply want us dead or deported.

So, I finally come to my point.  I have looked but not found any Canadian chapter of RRS and I was wondering if such a group exists? 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! I am not aware of

Welcome!

I am not aware of a Canadian chapter, but there are a few canadian mods so they may know of one. Glad to have you here. 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Ruttled! As BGH

Welcome Ruttled!

As BGH said, we've got several Canadians here in the forums.  Hopefully they'll post something there.

Meanwhile, we'd love for you to hop over to General Conversation, Introductions, and Humor and tell us a little about yourself.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Booclay
Booclay's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey ruttled, i'm from st.

Hey ruttled, i'm from st. catharines, Ontario.  Are u a member of any local humanist groups?

Ruttled
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the response

Thanks for the response everyone.

I hope to here from some of the Canadians here about the possibility of starting a chapter in Ontario.

Ah, St. Catherine's.  I'll be there in a couple of weeks to meet some internet friends on my way to Niagara Falls with my gf.  She has never been there before, so I'm looking forward to seeing her face when she looks at them for the first time.  

I have not joined any humanist groups in TO yet, but that is a good idea.  I found a local skeptics group - on Broadview ave in TO,  but when i rode my bike over to find them, it seems it was a just a P.O. box. I'll be emailing them today.  Do you have any suggestions of groups I might investigate?

Thanks again! 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
If there's a Canadian

If there's a Canadian chapter, I'm not aware of it.

Welcome Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Booclay
Booclay's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Here's some links for ya

Here's some links for ya ruttled.  The Toronto Secular Alliance and Society of Ontario Freethinkers both put on events with good speakers. 

http://www.secularalliance.ca/

http://secular.sa.utoronto.ca/blog/index.html  (i know the president quite well)

http://humanist.toronto.on.ca/contact.html

http://kwcg.humanists.net/CMS/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1/

“We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the depth of our answers.” – Carl Sagan

Ruttled
User is offlineOffline
Hey Thanks for the links. 

Hey Thanks for the links.  I have been down at the Center for Inquiry on Beverly St. the last few days.  I finally found a Darwin fish button! The Free thought group has a BBQ on the 24th I think so Ill head over to that as well.

On a technical note, I can only very rarely access this site.  It constantly times out.  I'm not sure what the problem is Sad  Maybe Jesus is doing it. I wish he'd leave my hard drive alone too.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ruttled wrote: On a

Ruttled wrote:

On a technical note, I can only very rarely access this site. It constantly times out. I'm not sure what the problem is Sad Maybe Jesus is doing it. I wish he'd leave my hard drive alone too.

A lot of the "slowness" the past few days is due to the increased traffic from Kelly and Sapient's NightLine appearance.  Of course, we hope it never decreases, but I'll bet you will find response time is a lot better during "off" hours (e.g. the middle of the night on a weekend).

Keep trying because we're glad you're here!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.