Rational Squad deleted from YouTube

OdwinOddball
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Rational Squad deleted from YouTube

Was browsing through the RRS videos on YouTube a bit ago, when I started getting " This account is suspended." messages when trying to views the video list. And it looks like all the Gisburne related clips have been removed...

Youtube on the assault again?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Wonder how many people are

Wonder how many people are going to flag the one where I violate every single one of the 10 Commandments (see General forum.)

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Ig
User is offlineOffline
Account has been

Account has been unsuspended.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=RationalResponse

Any updates on why? 

LovE-RicH
LovE-RicH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ig wrote: Account has been

Ig wrote:

Account has been unsuspended.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=RationalResponse

Any updates on why?

WOOOOO-HOOOOOOO! It was about time!Laughing out loud

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ig wrote: Any updates on

Ig wrote:

Any updates on why?

Becuase Youtube realized they got duped.

Oh, well. RRS has to places to upload videos now! 

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

tskaface
User is offlineOffline
Youtube videos

Would it be possible to make available videos not infringing copyright, as I’m assuming some were for the ban to occur, to be downloaded on the RRS website. So that they could then be posted up again on Youtube by RRS members. I for one would happily, given opportunity, post the Lynchburg lecture clips.

These videos need to put back on you tube as soon as possible due to the volume of people that might be able to see them.

tskaface
User is offlineOffline
Youtube

Would it be possible to make available videos not infringing copyright, as I’m assuming some were for the ban to occur, to be downloaded on the RRS website. So that they could then be posted up again on Youtube by RRS members. I for one would happily, given opportunity, post the Lynchburg lecture clips.

These videos need to put back on you tube as soon as possible due to the volume of people that might be able to see them.

I've reposted because ihope there was more chnace of a reply if i replied to a RRS staff (assuming you are).

Aplolagies for re-posting.

Tom

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
The RRS is back on

The RRS is back on YouTube!

Thank you for the offer, though.  That's very kind of you. 

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
And now that infamous

And now that infamous fraud, Uri Geller, is being sued, on behalf of the RRS team!

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9717464-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1001_3-0-5

Where else has this been published on the site?

May 9, 2007 12:57 AM PDT

"Psychic" Uri Geller sued after trying to remove critical YouTube clip

Posted by Declan McCullagh

Update on 3:40pm PT Wednesday: It turns out that Geller has filed his own lawsuit. Here's our followup story.

We've all heard about wacky attempts to misuse the Digital Millennium Copyright Act's "takedown" sections recently. There's been the Digg.com flap over a certain hex number beginning with "09 F9," the spat over a parody of the Colbert Report, and even one about a fake ID.

The latest attempt involves Uri Geller, the purported spoon-bending "psychic" who is trying to suppress a video on YouTube that claims Geller is a fraud and demonstrates sleight-of-hand tricks he could have used. The video was posted by the Rational Response Squad, a group of skeptics who take a scientific approach toward evaluating supernatural claims, and rely in part on YouTube to get the word out.

Caption: The offending video

Geller's U.K. company, Explorologist Ltd., sent a DMCA takedown notice to YouTube, claiming copyright in a video posted by the squad. It depicted magician James Randi, a prominent skeptic of the supernatural, showing how Geller could have performed "magic" tricks. (Some of his critics go farther, alleging that Geller is little more than a successful con artist.)

YouTube replied by suspending the relevant account.

There was one problem: Geller doesn't seem to own the video. It's nearly 14 minutes long, and Geller's company apparently can claim copyright in only three seconds of it, a brief excerpt that would likely be permitted by U.S. fair use laws.

That leads to a second problem. The DMCA requires anyone sending a takedown notice to state "under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed."

If it was in fact only a three-second excerpt, Geller is facing potential legal liability. The Electronic Frontier Foundation is taking advantage of this possible vulnerability -- and seizing a chance to make it a public lesson -- by filing a lawsuit in federal court in northern California on behalf of Brian Sapient. (That's the nom de plume of the fellow whose YouTube account was suspended.) The lawsuit, filed on Tuesday, asks for an injunction against Geller, damages, and attorneys fees.

The Skeptic's Dictionary says this of Geller: "He calls himself a psychic and has sued several people for millions of dollars for saying otherwise. His psychic powers were not sufficient to reveal to him, however, that he would lose all the lawsuits against his critics."

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just to give you a little

Just to give you a little idea how honest Geller is, there's a great post on Brian Flemming's weblog. I laughed my ass off!

http://www.slumdance.com/blogs/brian_flemming/archives/002660.html

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

SvZurich
SvZurich's picture
User is offlineOffline
Congratulations on making The Inquirer, RRS! :D Booyah!

I was pleased as punch when reading The Inquirer (a spinoff of The Register) this morning after work and coming across this:

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39498

It is an article regarding that fraud Uri Geller fraudulantly using the DMCA against our beloved friends the Ration Response Squad and how Uri got Brian Sapient's YouTube account suspended. The best part is the the EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) is backing Brian! Laughing out loud This is awesome to see on this famous British IT news site!

Congratulations RRS, may your fame and fortune continue to grow! Laughing out loud

Kimmie, originally posting this exact message at AF.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Yes yes I'm suing Uri

Yes yes I'm suing Uri Geller.  I'm very careful with what I say on the issue as it's an ongoing case.  I can only talk about what is public information, and all of that is linked above.