Majority of Americans believe in angels

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Majority of Americans believe in angels

WTF?!?!??! Are we really this fucking stupid as a nation??  Yell

WASHINGTON - A bluebird in the garden, a spirit in a house, a kind man on the side of the road. Americans are big believers in angels, although not necessarily the ones with halos and wings.

An overwhelming majority, almost regardless of backgrounds and religious convictions, think angels are real, according to an AP-AOL News poll exploring attitudes about Santa Claus, angels and more.

Belief in angels, however people define them, is highest _ almost universal _ among white evangelical Christians, 97 percent of whom trust in their existence, the poll indicates. But even among people with no religious affiliation, well more than half said angels are for real.

Among the findings about angels and Santa:

_Protestants, women, Southerners, Midwesterners and Republicans were the most likely to believe in angels, although strong majorities in other groups also shared that faith. Belief in angels declined slightly with advanced education, from 87 percent of those with high school education or less to 73 percent of those with college degrees. Overall, 81 percent believed in angels.

_86 percent believed in Santa as a child. And despite the multiethnic nature of the country, more than 60 percent of those with children at home consider Santa important in their holiday celebrations now.

_Nearly half, 47 percent, said Santa detracts from the religious significance of Christmas; over one-third, 36 percent, said he enhances the religious nature of the holiday.

_91 percent of whites believed in Santa as a child; 72 percent of minorities did. One quarter of those now living in households with incomes under $25,000 did not believe in Santa.

The poll of 1,000 adults was conducted by telephone Dec. 12 to 14 by Ipsos, an international public opinion research company. The margin of sampling error for all adults was plus or minus 3 percentage points.

If it's one thing to believe in angels, it's something else to explain exactly what an angel is.

"A presence that you feel around you, is my opinion," said Elizabeth Daves, 63, of Flemington, N.J. "I accept them _ to come whenever they want to." And she said they came, and have comforted her, since her mother-in-law died in their house.

Edward Pelz, 80, of Grabill, Ind., said he believes that angels are guiding him, even though it's impossible to explain to anyone else.

"Have I ever seen one? Nope. We depict an angel as a person that's white, has a robe on, has wings on back. I'm not sure that's the way they look. So for me, I think sometimes there's angels that aren't that way."

Pelz recounted a story about a man who showed up to change his tire when he had a flat in Ohio five years ago.

"I look at life _ I say, well maybe I had an angel with me here today. It could have been just another man doing a good deed."

Although Santa took knocks in the poll for diminishing the religious nature of the holiday, some grown-ups who considered him a benefit to the season cited the spirit of selfless giving that he represents.

"Now, if you are using Santa Claus to push a $100 robotic dinosaur, then that's a problem," said Ron Montgomery of Louisville, Ky. But the 64-year-old grandfather counts himself as a Santa believer to this day.

"It's the whole atmosphere," he said. "Santa Claus is the spirit. The trees, the church, the whole works. You actually see more of your neighbors.

"It's a feeling. It's not like a ghost. It's an attitude."

Pelz felt another spirit when he walked into his backyard on a winter's day _ that of the wife he lost over two years ago. He called her Mom.

"She loved bluebirds," he said. "In the wintertime, we don't have bluebirds. I was out in the back, thinking, 'Mom I'd like to see you,' and this little bluebird comes by.

"I don't know, maybe that's an angel. It was just something I wanted to see. Maybe I imagined it. Next thing you know, it flew off. What is an angel? Is an angel something that has a heartbeat like us? Or is it ...?"

The thought trailed off.

___

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's another question

Here's another question I've been pondering -- what is all this shit about angels? Have you heard this? Three out of four people belive in angels. Are you fucking stupid? Has everybody lost their mind? You know what I think it is? I think it's a massive, collective, psychotic chemical flashback for all the drugs smoked, swallowed, shot, and obsorbed rectally by all Americans from 1960 to 1990. Thirty years of street drugs will get you some fucking angels, my friend!
- George Carlin

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Heh heh. Thanks I remembered

Heh heh. Thanks I remembered he said something about this when a similar story came out a while back, but couldn't remember what.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle

MattShizzle wrote:

WTF?!?!??! Are we really this fucking stupid as a nation?? Yell

Yes.

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: "It's a

MattShizzle wrote:

"It's a feeling. It's not like a ghost. It's an attitude."

Why can't people accept their own emotions as just that? And the kindness of others as simply THE KINDNESS OF OTHERS. Man, if  I stopped to help someone change a tire, I bloody well hope they remember, "What a nice girl," and not, "It must've been a supernatural being sent by god helping me." 

Quote:

"I don't know, maybe that's an angel. It was just something I wanted to see. Maybe I imagined it. Next thing you know, it flew off. What is an angel? Is an angel something that has a heartbeat like us? Or is it ...?"
The thought trailed off.

There's your fucking reliable witness testimony....
"I don't know, maybe that's an angel. It was just something I wanted to see. Maybe I imagined it."

Yeah, maybe. You imagined it because you were grieving and it would make you feel better to pretend.

*shakes head* 

Angelic_Atheist
Angelic_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Pelz

MattShizzle wrote:

Pelz recounted a story about a man who showed up to change his tire when he had a flat in Ohio five years ago.

"I look at life _ I say, well maybe I had an angel with me here today. It could have been just another man doing a good deed."

It was "just another man doing a good deed."

These good deeds aren't hard to do. Just whenever you have some spare time or see someone who could use some help.....

We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
~ Richard Dawkins

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That's actually kind of

That's actually kind of insulting to the person who actually helped them. The person actually helped. God, if he exists, did Jack Squat!

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle, How

MattShizzle,

How insensitive of you! You must be ignorant of the ways of God. You see, with out God, we'd all be raping, stealing and murdering each other. If a person does a kind act it's only because God caused them to do it. -lol 

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
How true. God gets all the

How true. God gets all the credit and none of the blame. OK boys and girls, can you say "selection bias?"

megara
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, my mom (who is blind)

Yeah, my mom (who is blind) is a part of a blind Christian community called "Guided by Angels." It seems that one thing they really like to talk about is how "angels" help them out through the day.

For example, my mom told me about this one woman from the community who fell down while crossing the street and an "angel" picked her up and helped her walk across the street. The woman is convinced the person who helped her was an angel because once she crossed the street, the person was gone. ... I'm pretty convinced the compassionate human that helped her just walked away.

-shrugs- 

SilkyShrew
Rational VIP!
SilkyShrew's picture
User is offlineOffline
My supervisor for DVS calls

My supervisor for DVS calls all the volunteers her "angels" - she claims that her version of angels speak more of people's behaviors than of their actual state of being. She says when someone does something angel-like in her view, then they are an angel ... its rather odd, but I don't argue with her over it or anything.