darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline

munky99999
munky99999's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just keep finding this

I just keep finding this stuff happening just so crazy... isn't the maternal instinct or mother-child link supposed to be one of the very most strongest link in nature?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
munky99999 wrote: I just

munky99999 wrote:
I just keep finding this stuff happening just so crazy... isn't the maternal instinct or mother-child link supposed to be one of the very most strongest link in nature?

Any instict can be drowned out with frequent conditioning.

God-fear is a powerful conditioning tool.                 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

munky99999
munky99999's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: munky99999

jcgadfly wrote:

munky99999 wrote:

Any instict can be drowned out with frequent conditioning.

God-fear is a powerful conditioning tool.

Oh I understand that well. It just boggles my mind that they could get that much power despite the evolutionary effect of this. 

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
munky99999 wrote: I just

munky99999 wrote:

Yeah, but sometimes people are just crazy. Koo-koo! 

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

North00
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Just out of curiousity. Why

Just out of curiousity. Why blame her religion instead of her obvious mental illness?

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
North00 wrote: Just out of

North00 wrote:
Just out of curiousity. Why blame her religion instead of her obvious mental illness?

Her "obvious mental illness" could have been because she was a parnoid due to the dead children she was hiding.  Paranoia, fear.

Her delusion of demons and possession would likely be pinned on something form her faith.  Though until that determination is made, neither is really fair to postulate (illness or religion).

It's very easy to pin religion into these things because religion is often the cause of the delusion. 

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline

North00 wrote:

Do you mean why put a loaded weapon within reach of the mentally ill ?

Do you mean to ask why would the "indoctrinated" act out in ways that reflect this indoctrination ?

Were the 19 terrorists who killed thousands of innocent victims and themselves in the U.S. mentally ill ?

Were the multiple millions of people in history who have killed others simply because they held a different religious belief mentally ill ?

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

munky99999
munky99999's picture
User is offlineOffline

North00 wrote:

U speak as if they are exclusive...

do you think a buddhist would ever do this? Nope.

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
North00 wrote: Why blame

North00 wrote:
Why blame her religion instead of her obvious mental illness?

While it's possible that if she had had no theistic beliefs at all she may have still "seen" her children as deserving of death. You can't over look the fact that the bible is chock full of rediculous stories that totally mesh with what she did.

Her god delusion is merely stronger, harder to align with reality than your typical delusional theist.

R/

Lenny

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I used to watch Little

I used to watch Little House on the Prarie (don't ask) until the episode where Caroline was just about to cut her leg off when Charles rushed in.

The plot was this - she got a small cut, the family left for the weekend while she stayed home to bake pies for the church fundraiser, the cut became infected and she became septic.  During this period of sepsis she opened the bible on the 'if your arm causes you to sin, cut it off' part and so she started sterlizing the knife. 

I know it's just a show but I can't come up with another chain of events which would of had her going down this same path without the biblical reading. 

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline

North00 wrote:

"Banita Jacks was charged with four counts of first-degree murder after reportedly telling investigators that the children were possessed by demons and died in their sleep." - Article posted

Where else would someone(psychotic or not) get the idea of demon possession if not for religion? 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
munky99999 wrote: North00

munky99999 wrote:

North00 wrote:

Actually, Buddhists engaged in human sacrifice up until the 1850's and Buddhists and Tamils routinely attack each other even now in Sri Lanka.

What gets me about this case is no one entered the home to check the welfare of the children.  California law allows police or CPS workers to enter without a warrant even if they have to force entry.  Don't know if DC does or not.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

munky99999
munky99999's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bulldog wrote: munky99999

Bulldog wrote:
munky99999 wrote:

North00 wrote:

Actually, Buddhists engaged in human sacrifice up until the 1850's and Buddhists and Tamils routinely attack each other even now in Sri Lanka.

'

I'm sorry but that certainly doesn't have demons involved.

Furthermore... it's actually the pre-buddhist religions who did the human sacrifice(as this increases suffering not decrease). When buddhism swept through the area... the people didnt all stop doing the human sacrifice. Moreover... when these people were caught.... they were punished with lashings and such. 

As for the buddhists vs tamils or chogeye vs chogeye... this is all just alpha male fighting,  Nothing special here... we are discussing a single person doing something nuts.

FreeThoughtMake...
Superfan
FreeThoughtMakesMeTingle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah I'm from DC and

Yeah I'm from DC and people are still talking about this like crazy. The mother must've been mentally ill...still so sad. The oldest girl went to the HS right under where my old high school was located -_-.

Quote:
Religion at BEST - is like a lift in your shoe. If you need it for a while, and it makes you walk straight and feel better - fine. But you don't need it forever, or you can become permanently disabled.

---George Carlin---

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks,

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

FreeThoughtMake...
Superfan
FreeThoughtMakesMeTingle's picture
User is offlineOffline
They were such pretty little

They were such pretty little girls too.....smh...... CPS is worthless.