Sally Cramer, FSGP President-Elect
610-430-7719
[email protected]

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
ERG! ERG! Trying NOT to

ERG! ERG! Trying NOT to post, but fingers must paste links. Emotions under control. Rational thought concerning the presentation of relevant facts struggling through dorso lateral prefrontal cortex into cerebral cortex. Damned temporal lobe too large for its own good. ERG!

I've been relatively out of it for a little bit. Please inform me of changes that I have missed.

Sapient pwning Shermer's letter and good debate reading

Ahhh. Fingers relaxing. Brain firing normally.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

EverLastingGodS...
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote: I've

darth_josh wrote:

I've been relatively out of it for a little bit. Please inform me of changes that I have missed.

Michael Shermer is a talented writer and an excellent speaker.  He has written four books on science and religion in which he has refuted all theological and quasi-scientific arguments for the existence of a god.  He founded and edits a magazine that focuses on science and on countering religious claims.  His website cataloguse all of Richard Dawkins' books and DVDs.  Any person who is interested in promoting science and refuting religion would throroughly enjoy reading his books and hearing him talk.  I heard him speak in Philadelphia a few years ago; he packed the house, and was just the most kind, casual, friendly, intelligent person I've met in a long time.

If you're in the Philadelphia area and can make it to this event, you'll definitely be glad you got to see Shermer in action. 

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm fully aware that he is

I'm fully aware that he is as 'nontheistic' as the rest of us. I haven't read the latest "Why Darwin matters...", but plan to very soon. I'm also aware of 'Skeptic'. However, I am not sure if you are aware that people like me are relegated to a position of 'part of the problem' rather than as a fellow ideologue in some of those writings. Forgive me my intolerant stance toward the 'rebranding' effort. I see no need for adjectives the likes of which have been thrown in my (and others like me) direction.

I suppose I just want a little verbal/written support to go toward the people who are 'pushing back' at religion by some of the people who are doing the same thing. It seems(to maybe just me) as though we are hugged in private and shunned in public. It gives me new insight to at least one ex-girlfriend's situation.

Please don't consider my posting and questioning as 'attacks'. If I were not as genuinely concerned about 'unification' as I feel you are then I wouldn't even consider voicing an opinion.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

george1001
User is offlineOffline
Stopper wrote: If you're in

Stopper wrote:
If you're in the Philadelphia area and can make it to this event, you'll definitely be glad you got to see Shermer in action.
I'm glad I went because I got to see first-hand how full of crap Shermer is.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
george1001 wrote: Stopper

george1001 wrote:

Stopper wrote:
I'm glad I went because I got to see first-hand how full of crap Shermer is.

George, tell me more.  I confess I processed the video, but I promise I didn't watch more than a minute of it.  Now tell me what I missed!  :P  Nice to see you posting here (your acct works here and at the upcoming FSGP site).

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Here is the page with the

Here is the page with the videos if anyone else wants to write up a summary...

http://www.margaretdowney.com/michael_shermer_visits_fsgp_video_is_in

Feel free to post the summary here or there with your user account.

george1001
User is offlineOffline
Issues with Michael Shermer and 9/11

As I said on the meetup website, I was disappointed in his dismissiveness towards anyone who questions the official 9/11 story.

What bothers me is his choice of targets. Of all things to be critical of, why is he attacking the 9/11 Truth movement?   Has Shermer ever seriously criticized the Bush administration?  So far, they have lied to get us into a war, obstructed investigation into 9/11, allowed tremendous war profliteering. Why doesn't Shermer apply his analytical skills to these issues?

What I found most outragous was the comparison of 9/11 Truth to Holocaust deniers.  This is a blatant ad-hominem attack. 

This coming from a person who had the gall to quote Martin Luther King in his letter lecturing atheists. Shermer wrote, "If atheists do not want theists to prejudge them in a negative light, then they must not do unto theists the same."