Warren Jeffs gets 5 to life

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Warren Jeffs gets 5 to life

ST. GEORGE, Utah — 

A judge sentenced a polygamous-sect leader Tuesday to five years to life in prison for his role in the arranged marriage of teenage cousins.

Warren Jeffs, 51, was convicted of two counts of rape as an accomplice for his role in the marriage of a 14-year-old follower and her 19-year-old cousin in 2001. The sentences are to be served consecutively.

It will be up to the Utah parole board to decide just how long he stays behind bars. The average for Utahns convicted of such offenses is seven years, said Jim Hatch, a spokesman for the state parole board.

Jeffs is head of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, whose members practice polygamy in arranged marriages that have often involved placing young girls with older men. Most FLDS members live in the twin communities of Hildale, Utah, and Colorado City, Ariz., about 350 miles southeast of Salt Lake City.

Washington County prosecutors said Jeffs enticed Elissa Wall into marriage and sex against her will by telling her that the relationship was commanded by God and that any refusal would place her salvation at risk.

Jurors said Wall's age was a major factor in their decision. Under Utah law, a 14-year-old can consent to sex in some circumstances. But it is not considered consensual if a person younger than 18 is enticed by someone at least three years older.

Wall, now 21, testified that Jeffs failed to help her when she protested the marriage and when she later asked for a divorce because she was uncomfortable having sex with Allen Steed.

Steed, now 26, told a different version of events. He said Wall initiated sex and denied that she had cried during their wedding ceremony.

Weeks after the Sept. 25 verdict, the judge unsealed court documents that disclosed a suicide attempt by Jeffs in jail. He apparently attempted to hang himself in January, months before trial. Authorities have declined to discuss the events, although Jeffs was taken to a hospital for just a few hours.

The documents also included selected jail transcripts of phone calls and visits between Jeffs and members of his church. Although he has been president, or prophet, since 2002, following the death of his father, Rulon, Jeffs said in jail that he had not been worthy of the "priesthood" for decades.

"I was immoral with a sister and a daughter when I was younger, so the Lord showed me I'm one of the most wicked men on the face of the Earth since father Adam's time," Jeffs said.

He never elaborated on the immoral acts.

The Associated Press does not typically identify people who allege sexual abuse, but Wall has made several public statements about the case using her maiden name. Citing safety concerns, she and her attorneys have declined to disclose her current legal name. Wall was granted an FLDS divorce by Jeffs after she became pregnant with another man's child; she left the faith and is married.

Steed was charged with rape the day after Jeffs' conviction. His case is pending.

Jeffs faces similar criminal charges in Arizona.

The mainstream Mormon church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, renounced polygamy more than a century ago, excommunicates members who engage in the practice and disavows any connection with the FLDS church.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wanna take bets on wether or

Wanna take bets on wether or not he turns out to be a "model inamte" and gets out in 5 years?

Morte alla tyrannus et dei

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
i hope they kill him in

i hope they kill him in prison. I fucking hate pedos like him.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Maybe he'll come out with a

Maybe he'll come out with a size-15 asshole.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zombie wrote: Wanna take

Zombie wrote:
Wanna take bets on wether or not he turns out to be a "model inamte" and gets out in 5 years?

Ya, I am sure he will be nice as pie. AND since the Mormon Church will drop him like a bad habit he can start saying he is a JW ...   Smiling 

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is a very, VERY rare

This is a very, VERY rare case of Hammurabic justice in action. His crime was having multiple wives for several years, and his punishment is to have multiple husbands for several years.

And I'm aware of how ironic it is for someone with an avatar of Bridget to say something like "he'll have multiple husbands," so don't bother mentioning it.

Good night, funny man, and thanks for the laughter.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Little Roller Up First

Little Roller Up First wrote:

And I'm aware of how ironic it is for someone with an avatar of Bridget to say something like "he'll have multiple husbands," so don't bother mentioning it.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Maybe

MattShizzle wrote:
Maybe he'll come out with a size-15 asshole.

hahaha