Nov. 13 Atlanta: Protest Governor's Prayer Service

EverLastingGodS...
User is offlineOffline
Nov. 13 Atlanta: Protest Governor's Prayer Service

The US government is not supposed to promote or endorse religious belief or practice, but Georgia Mayor Sonny Perdue does not care about the separation of church and state. He has called for a government-sponsored prayer service in Atlanta on the Capitol grounds, Washington Street side, at 11:45 am. on Tuesday, 13 November 2007 to pray for rain.

This state-led prayer is being protested by supporters of church-state separation from many groups, including Atlanta Freethought Society, the Freedom From Religion Foundation, and the Council for Secular Humanism.

My source says:

Quote:
[These groups] will engage in a polite and peaceful protest on next Tuesday, 13 November at the Georgia Capitol Building in downtown Atlanta (Washington Street near the intersection with Martin Luther King Drive SW--the north corner of the Capitol grounds), from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

This protest will be directed at the Governor's actions on the basis both of violations of religious liberty and on the basis of absurd religious ideas.

Endorsements by other organizations may be forthcoming.

EverLastingGodS...
User is offlineOffline
Here is a news story about

Here is a news story about the Governor's actions: http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2007/11/07/droughtpray_1108.html

Quote:
With no rain in sight, Gov. Sonny Perdue is looking for a little spiritual help to get North Georgia out of its drought.

Perdue's office has begun sending out invitations to a prayer service for rain at the Capitol next week.

It gets worse:
Quote:
"Georgia needs rain. The issue at the heart of our drought problems is a lack of rain," Teilhet said. "And there is nothing the government can do to make that happen.

"The governor recognizes that the request has got to be made to a higher power."

He can do that on his own time as much as he wants. He shouldn't be using the Governor's office to organize the event or send out invitations.

I sent the information about the protest to both the Georgia Chapter and the national headquarters of Americans United for Separation of Church and State.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I live in Georgia.  Sonny

I live in Georgia.  Sonny is well known for pandering to the religious.  This surprises me not, but it repulses me anyway.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism