Me vs Everyone

athos
athos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Me vs Everyone

Alright so, yesterday (sept 12) I was invited to a...debate(?) at a local church by a friend, it will basically be me versus everyone at the church.  I accepted.  But I want to bring as many atheists who are willing to come. I live in Plano Texas and any help I can get would be really appreciated.  If anyone could help I would really appreciate it.

God is as qualified to preach morality as Charles Manson, Hell, he could give Hitler a run for his money!

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh wow... I can't really

Oh wow... I can't really help you because I live veeery far from there, but I just wanted to wish you good luck.

I mean, arguing with one theist who is at least somewhat open-minded is one thing. But arguing with an entire crowd that probably includes some people who are just going to show up to call you "the devil" over and over again... that takes some guts.

Let us know if it goes well. =) 

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
They eat people like us in

They eat people like us in TX.  Good luck.

ispeakmetal
ispeakmetal's picture
User is offlineOffline
When is the debate, and how

When is the debate, and how many non-christians do you know? I live in Garland, so I might could help you out. Unfortunately, I don't know many other atheists that would help out.

athos
athos's picture
User is offlineOffline
I know 1 other atheist, and

I know 1 other atheist, and one guy...who wont call himself an atheist (or agnostic) but doesnt belive in god. Turns out the christians are going to be talking about how to defend their faith from atheism. And its on the 19th, Im going to get the address and time ASAP.

BTW Archeo, the debate wont even be withh full blown adults, not even college kids, no somthing far, far worse.  Senior High Students!!!! 

God is as qualified to preach morality as Charles Manson, Hell, he could give Hitler a run for his money!

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
athos wrote:   BTW

athos wrote:

BTW Archeo, the debate wont even be withh full blown adults, not even college kids, no somthing far, far worse. Senior High Students!!!!

Oh, well I can see that being both good and bad. Easy but frustrating.

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

athos
athos's picture
User is offlineOffline
if by easy you mean being

if by easy you mean being totally ignored and called a sinner who will burn/rot in hell. yup easy as pie!

I went there once before and when I told a kid i was atheist he looked like he wanted to beat me into spam.

ispeakmetal
ispeakmetal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, fuck, if the thing was

Well, fuck, if the thing was on a saturday I'd be able to help you out, but if it's on a wednesday night, I'm gonna be working. What format is the debate in? Are they just replacing a wednesday night service with a debate against atheists? How many kids are you debating?

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
athos wrote: BTW Archeo,

athos wrote:

BTW Archeo, the debate wont even be withh full blown adults, not even college kids, no somthing far, far worse.  Senior High Students!!!! 

It's a well known fact that high school seniors know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING.  Good luck!  You might get more intelligent response from a stone than from a bunch of indoctrinated high schoolers.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: athos

pariahjane wrote:
athos wrote:

BTW Archeo, the debate wont even be withh full blown adults, not even college kids, no somthing far, far worse. Senior High Students!!!!

It's a well known fact that high school seniors know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING. Good luck! You might get more intelligent response from a stone than from a bunch of indoctrinated high schoolers.

Them. "Like, you know, like you know, um ah....like Jesus died for your sins you know... "

You, "No, someone made up an old story based on a mix of greek, cannanite, Sumarian and Egyptian cultures prior to the hebrews. Ever read the Epic of Gelgemish? It has first person mythology as well as a flood story."

Them, "Like you know, I like dont like, you know, epics. I like movies staring Reec Witherspoon, you know?"

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

athos
athos's picture
User is offlineOffline
so they are going to be

so they are going to be talking about how about atheism, so I was invited (being the local atheist) to correct any misconceptions about atheism.  this will inevitably end up in a debate.

waldteufel
High Level DonorRational VIP!Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Good luck.  I live too far

Good luck.  I live too far from Plano, so I can't help you other than to wish you well. 

"Illegitimi non Carborundum"  Don't let the bastards wear you down.

athos
athos's picture
User is offlineOffline
and semper ubi sub ubi to

and semper ubi sub ubi to you too! lol

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
How did this go?

How did this go?