Religion as Stockholm syndrome

ackbar
ackbar's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religion as Stockholm syndrome

Reading some of the theists posts on here i just made a connection with Stockholm syndrome ....

Has this been discussed here before?

thoughts? 

inspectormustard
atheist
inspectormustard's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can see the similarity.

I can see the similarity. For those dropping by, that's the term for the behavior exhibited by Patty Hearst - the woman who was kidnapped and brainwashed into helping rob a bank.

I think Stockholm syndrome is more adequately attributed to victems of conscious abusers, while most religious powers are only unwitting frauds.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
My quote line below

My quote line below addresses this...

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hesitate to apply the

I hesitate to apply the concept of Stockholm Syndrome to all religions, but I definitely think it applies to a lot of the more fundamentalist kinds. I think it takes a lot of brainwashing to make a suicide bomber, for example.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Kathleen (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Stockholm syndrome as it

Stockholm syndrome as it relates to people of faith, and members of the military.

Wikipedia definition: a term used to describe a paradoxical psychological phenomenon wherein hostages express adulation and have positive feelings towards their captors that appear irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, essentially mistaking a lack of abuse from their captors as an act of kindness

In the case of Military recruits at boot camp. Physical, mental, emotional abuse by the drill sergeant to break down any sense of individuality and develop loyalty to the Brother/Sisterhood.

In the case of Religion; prostrating yourself on the mercy of a savior because you do not have the strength to meet the requirements of the church, which the church has made unrealistically stringent. i.e. the prisoner of sin is freed by a savior.

Both eventually allow the prisoner to be free of something, and in response the recipient of the freedom express adulation and positive feelings toward 1. A savior who made the stringent rules that require a lifetime (+) to conform to, and 2. A soldier who is prepared to give his/her life for the organization to meet the requirements of the corps.

mnmaria20
User is offlineOffline
 i like to this site which

i like to this site which is giving the source of impressive and entertaining web site like readings of the stories is one of the best and easy source through same like the web sites.