Deism

Romsca
User is offlineOffline
Deism

Although I myself am not an Atheist, I was baptised Catholic and unfortunately went through with some of the sacraments. I was baptized at 6 (which is still too early in my opinion, a child of that age has no idea in which to choose to follow some faith blindly.) Anyways, I don't mean to ramble but this is leads up to my discussion/question. During high school we learned about Deism of old (the "belief that 'God' created the universe and let natural laws take over, not a revealed God, and basically one that disappeared" I suppose another answer to the question of the universe forming) and I took interest in it, being Agnostic by that time, never really having been a child of great blind faith either. Anyways, just wondering what you guys think about Deism, aside from it being the belief system of psychopaths and slavers. (A sully on the ideology I suppose but perhaps not as bad as the major revealed religions that have a much "worse" subsrciption base throughout history.)

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
My wife's a deist - whilst

My wife's a deist - whilst she believes that organised religion is a load of bollocks, she feels that there may be something out there which largely doesn't give a toss about us but just does stuff.

Who knows, she may be right?  I tend not to argue because it would mean no marital relations and that would be bad. Very, very bad.

Freedom of religious belief is an inalienable right. Stuffing that belief down other people's throats is not.

Romsca
User is offlineOffline
Haha excellent point.

Haha excellent point. Myself, I can't be sure either way. Although in my opinion it wouldn't make much a difference either way I suppose.

"And there's no God in heaven so get off your knees."
-MDC

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
let's say deism is right,

let's say deism is right, just for arguments sake. What difference woudl it make? Why would it matter it there was a deistic god at all? There might as well not be one.

Romsca
User is offlineOffline
that's exactly what I said

that's exactly what I said in my second post. Sticking out tongue

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Patrician wrote: My

The Patrician wrote:

My wife's a deist - whilst she believes that organised religion is a load of bollocks, she feels that there may be something out there which largely doesn't give a toss about us but just does stuff.

Who knows, she may be right? I tend not to argue because it would mean no marital relations and that would be bad. Very, very bad.

No idea if she's right or not, but I do have a lot of respect in her view as can be seen in my signature.  I lose no respect for deists, only theists. 

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Maragon
Maragon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have no problem with

I have no problem with deism, and if I weren't an atheist, that's the catagory I'd probably fall into.

I made a post on my blog about how I find it so silly, in light of an infinite universe that people actually believe that we are the center of everything; the epitome of a creation. That each person is marked as 'special' amongst billions.

So egotisitical.