Leg bone's connected to the hip bone....

l.mcbryar
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Leg bone's connected to the hip bone....

For all of you who believe that Jesus never even existed, wow do i have a question for you...
What is to be said about the recent "discovery" of the tomb and bones of Jesus?
So, doesnt this raise questions about what you hae been saying all along? If those are his bones, it would go to prove Christianity one step closer. If not, it just goes to show that what we have been saying all along, He truely is a God. So...i wanna know what is to be said.

(The bones of Christ....sorta makes you wonder how much faith you have to have to believe in atheism and Darwin huh?)

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm just a layman with no

I'm just a layman with no real expertise, but it seems to me that if the bones are Jesus' then he didn't resurrect. So he's just this guy who said a few things,walked around a lot, got in a bit of trouble and was killed. I see no need to worship some guy.

If they aren't Jesus' bones, so what? It doesn't prove Jesus ascended to heaven.

The bones probably aren't Jimmy Hoffa's? Does that mean Hoffa was the messiah?

Just saying...

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
If they are his bones, then

If they are his bones, then the bible is false, DISproving Christianity.

Conn_in_Brooklyn
Conn_in_Brooklyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
l.mcbryar wrote: For all of

l.mcbryar wrote:
For all of you who believe that Jesus never even existed, wow do i have a question for you...
What is to be said about the recent "discovery" of the tomb and bones of Jesus? So, doesnt this raise questions about what you hae been saying all along? If those are his bones, it would go to prove Christianity one step closer.

Actually, No. This 'discovery' is probably a hoax or urelated to a historical Jesus, but if it could somehow be confirmed that what was discovered was the tomb of the personage of Jesus of Nazareth, etc. it would actually spell the end of orthodox Christianity. Christians will tell you that the resurrection is the most important even in the history of Christianity. Even some liberals, like the Anglican pastor that Richard Dawkin's interview in "The Root of All Evil", state that the resurrection is fundamental and central to Christian belief.

l.mcbryar wrote:
If not, it just goes to show that what we have been saying all along, He truely is a God. So...i wanna know what is to be said.

Why? Why is lack of evidence some how evidence of Christ's divinity? Or even existence? Your reasoning is: We don't have Jesus' bones from a tomb that, according to most historians and apologists, isn't even in the proper geographic location, and that proves Jesus actually resurrected and sits at the right hand of an invisible God. That is both illogical and intellectually dishonest.

l.mcbryar wrote:
(The bones of Christ....sorta makes you wonder how much faith you have to have to believe in atheism and Darwin huh?)

Don't you get it? As a Christian, you DON'T want these bones to be Jesus' - that would prove that Jesus never resurrected, that he is not God and Christianity is, in fact, a myth ... how is it that you do not know the basic tenets of your faith?

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com

Conn_in_Brooklyn
User is offlineOffline
Awe ... you two beat me to

Awe ... you two beat me to it ...

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have to agree with the two

I have to agree with the two responses above.  But I'm a little confused about what you're saying.  If they are Jesus' bones, than Christianity is proven.  If they're not his bones, than Chrisitianity is proven.  Huh.  Doesn't really make sense, now does it.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Conn_in_Brooklyn
User is offlineOffline
I'm just replying to keep

I'm just replying to keep this on the top of the 'Active Discussions' list so more people can challenge this type of thinking ...

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: If they

pariahjane wrote:
If they are Jesus' bones, than Christianity is proven. If they're not his bones, than Chrisitianity is proven. Huh. Doesn't really make sense, now does it.

It makes perfect sense.  If you assume a priori that christianity is true, the facts have to accommodate christianity, no matter which way the evidence falls.

How does this not make sense to you, you silly rationalist. 

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
l.mcbryar wrote:

l.mcbryar wrote:
For all of you who believe that Jesus never even existed, wow do i have a question for you... What is to be said about the recent "discovery" of the tomb and bones of Jesus?

It's "Al Capone's Vault" all over again, sans Geraldo Rivera.

Quote:
So, doesnt this raise questions about what you hae been saying all along?

No more than that goof that "claims" he's found the remains of noah's ark.

Quote:
If those are his bones, it would go to prove Christianity one step closer.

If you mean, one step closer to being proven irrefutably bunk, then yes. If you mean otherwise, you need to go back to bible school.

Quote:
If not, it just goes to show that what we have been saying all along, He truely is a God.

Oh it does, does it? So, by your logic, anytime someone claims to have found evidence of the life of jesus, and is shown to be a fraud, that proves that jesus was a god? You're serious?

Quote:
So...i wanna know what is to be said. (The bones of Christ....sorta makes you wonder how much faith you have to have to believe in atheism and Darwin huh?)

This may be the stupidest post I've ever read on this site. Admittedly, however, I've only been here a few weeks.  Oh, this is the "Kill 'Em With Kindness" thread.  Sorry.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
See, none of you people

See, none of you people know how to think like a Christian. Luckily for you, I was an apologist when I knew everything (You know, when I was sixteen) so I can help you with this. Here's the right answer to any of the possible scenarios:

1) The bones really are Jesus. DNA tests prove conclusively (how that could happen, I don't know, but that's why I'm not a geneticist, right?) that this is a man who was named Jesus, and who was crucified by the Romans after preaching for three years, yada yada...

Christian Answer: Jesus was resurrected with his new, perfected, heaven body, and had no use for the earth one any more. When he appeared to Thomas, he used magic to bring back the wounds so that Thomas could poke him in the side.

2) It's not Jesus. Conclusively

Christian Answer: Well, duh. Nobody will ever find Jesus, because he's living in heaven with the heavenly boo-machine and Sky-Daddy, until he comes back to take me with him so I can praise him forever and ever.

3) No conclusive evidence whatsoever

Christian Answer: This is yet another example of why faith is necessary, and it proves how much God loves us, that he would give us this test to see if we really love him, so he can decide whether to burn us forever.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Conn_in_Brooklyn
User is offlineOffline
I sending this to fundies

I sending this to fundies say the darndest things DOT com (www.fstdt.com) right now.

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: (The bones of

Quote:

so if we find an average guy named Jesus, evolution is disproved? 

W  T  F  ?

MR. LEMUR, WHERE ARE YOU!?!

*Head asplode* 

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote: I

Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote:
I sending this to fundies say the darndest things DOT com (www.fstdt.com) right now.

Man, that's too cruel.

LOL! But funny! 

Angelic_Atheist
Angelic_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
how is this any different to

how is this any different to when they found the ark, or something about a line of Egyptian artifacts in some sea, proving the exodus? And then there are the multiple other graves of jesus......ohhh what else have they claimed as proof but never proved??...

We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
~ Richard Dawkins

Rev0lver
User is offlineOffline
haha, i had a good laugh

haha, i had a good laugh with this one. my friends in school wouldnt stop talking about that this newly found tomb shows i am wrong and they are right. i had to go as far to get their youth pastor to tell them it would have been disproving christianity if it were to be real(which unfortunately i expect it wont be, the guy who found it seems full of crap)

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I think a lot of the major

I think a lot of the major points were made but this is my list.

• How would do they prove it is jesus? WWJD test?
  • It isn't recent unless you mean in the geology sense.
  • If the man in the tomb is the jesus of the bible then that kinda put a damper on that whole, "he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God" thing.
  • Jesus has nothing to do with evolution let alone science.

The same topic. You'll find more responses to this 'revelation.'

Rook ways in. (its at the bottem of the page)

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote: I

Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote:

congrats! 

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I posted a comment on that

I posted a comment on that site.

My name is Mike on there.

l.mcbryar
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ohh

while this is all amusing, please show me scriptural refrences to where the Bible tells that Jesus did or did not leave his physical body. this is why my original statement is still true to this day.

Psalms 74:10

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
When he challenged Thomas to

When he challenged Thomas to put his fingers in his holes?  Maybe you can tell me whether that was or wasn't his body

πππ†
π†††

Juvenile Narcissist
Silver Member
Juvenile Narcissist's picture
User is offlineOffline
l.mcbryar wrote: while this

l.mcbryar wrote:
while this is all amusing, please show me scriptural refrences to where the Bible tells that Jesus did or did not leave his physical body. this is why my original statement is still true to this day.

on top of the scene with thomas, the tomb was also empty.

Luke 4: 2 and 3: 2They found the stone rolled away from the tomb, 3but when they entered, they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus.

then you've got verse 12: 12Peter, however, got up and ran to the tomb. Bending over, he saw the strips of linen lying by themselves, and he went away, wondering to himself what had happened.

so, what? did he come again later and put his bones back? did he keep his body in storage and then put it back in the tomb after the fuss had died down? or was the bible fibbing, and the body was there all along?

Rill

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Juvenile Narcissist

Juvenile Narcissist wrote:

so, what? did he come again later and put his bones back? did he keep his body in storage and then put it back in the tomb after the fuss had died down?

Sure he did!  Just to mix it up a bit.  I mean, after all, this is god we're talking about...

πππ†
π†††

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
(The bones of

Atheists are not necessarily Jesus mysticists. I for one, am not. And explain what you mean "believe in atheism" when atheism is merely a denial of someone else's idiotic assertion. And what do you mean faith in Darwin. Faith implies lack of evidence. As an evolutionary scientist who has seen the evidence under a microscope, I can tell you that is retarded.

If those are his bones, it would go to prove Christianity one step closer.

Not really. All it proves is that he was not resurrected. Christianity will be ripped asunder.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
I don't know why you guys

I don't know why you guys are thinking l.mcbryar is an idiot. The logic is really clear here. Rook is wrong about Jesus, therefore Christianity is true. If you think this contradicts what the Bible says, you just are reading it out of context.

It's so clear now l.mcbryar! If this Jesus's bones things pans out, I'm going to have to reconvert back to being a Christian!

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
l.mcbryar wrote: So,

l.mcbryar wrote:
So, doesnt this raise questions about what you hae been saying all along? If those are his bones, it would go to prove Christianity one step closer. If not, it just goes to show that what we have been saying all along, He truely is a God.

Ummmmmm,

False Dicotomy!! 

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
How does this prove

How does this prove anything about God. How does this prove he is the son of God?? It would just prove that this MAN Jesus existed about 2000 years ago. Let me go dig up my grandpa. Wow, God does exist. This line of reasong in so ridiculous.

"Those who think they know don't know. Those that know they don't know, know."