Religion as Toothpaste

Paul Robinson
Paul Robinson's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religion as Toothpaste

I had the following thought when I posted a response about Satanists in response to a Yahoo Answers question, in which I said as long as they don't proselytize I don't consider Satanists any worse than Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Jehovah's Witnesses or any other religious group.

"All religions are the same, and are like soap and toothpaste manufacturers: they consider their brand to be the only one you should buy; don't like the other brands and want you to only pay attention to their advertising.  They want you to feel guilty if you don't use their brand and tell you all the bad consequences of using another brand."

"Above all else... We shall go on..."
"...And continue!"
The lessons of history teach us - if they teach us anything - that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
   yeah, and so then why,

yeah, and so then why,  and what is the cure ?

Fixing the tv for sure, .... to get the the moderates pissed ... we need to fix the tv.  

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yep, that about sums it

Yep, that about sums it up.

Humans dont want to face that religion is an artificial construct. It is a side effect or missfire due to our evolutionary disire for "safty in numbers". You create a club and that club supports itself insuring a greater chance of survival. The superstitious aspect of it is our ego projecting human qualities on a fictional super hero we wish would protect us(as a species), even though no such thing exists.

Religion spreads just like marketing Coke and Pepsi. One product comes out, another company looks at it and trys to mimic it and market it's own version. "Imam is the same as messiah is the same as savior". It is "the one" who will swoop down to save the chosen people.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rodney Stark and Roger

Rodney Stark and Roger Finke's book "Acts of Faith" outlines a systematic economic model of religion, including details about competition and what makes one religion a better "value" than another for believers.

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do you mean LaVey's

Do you mean LaVey's Satanism?  Or the people who are Christian, but root for the villain?

Suriel
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Yep, that

Brian37 wrote:

Humans dont want to face that religion is an artificial construct. It is a side effect or missfire due to our evolutionary disire for "safty in numbers". You create a club and that club supports itself insuring a greater chance of survival. The superstitious aspect of it is our ego projecting human qualities on a fictional super hero we wish would protect us(as a species), even though no such thing exists. 

How do you account for theists who don't seek "safety in numbers"? Or for theists who don't believe a god has human qualities? Or those who don't believe in an interventionist god? 

"Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose." (Kris Kristofferson)

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
Suriel wrote: Brian37

Suriel wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

How do you account for theists who don't seek "safety in numbers"? Or for theists who don't believe a god has human qualities? Or those who don't believe in an interventionist god?

Scott Atran's book "Darwin's God" accounts for solitary theists, non-anthropomorphic theists and pantheists by explaining the evolution of religion in terms that don't include references to safety in numbers.  Atran explains the evolution of supernatural/religious belief tendencies as a side-effect of features of intelligence that evolved for unrelated, adaptive reasons.  Religion itself is not necessarily adaptive. 

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

zennotes
User is offlineOffline
God

I have noticed on several places on this site people are dissing the idea of God. I personally do not go along with the idea of a God. But that's my problem. Before you knock something, you have to define it. What is God? Or What is a God?

Seems to me that many Atheist have no idea what they are denying.

Can all you Atheists out there please define "God" or a "God" for me?

Thanks.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
zennotes wrote: I have

zennotes wrote:

I have noticed on several places on this site people are dissing the idea of God. I personally do not go along with the idea of a God. But that's my problem. Before you knock something, you have to define it. What is God? Or What is a God?

Thanks.

I'm not an atheist, but let me give it a shot. First atheism includes a range of ideas. Included among those is that the very concept of god is invalid. There is no coherent definition for 'god'. This form of atheism isn't a belief that god does not exist but rather a belief that there is not even a valid god concept and you can't even discuss the existence of something until you have a valid concept.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: zennotes

wavefreak wrote:
zennotes wrote:

Thanks.

I'm not an atheist, but let me give it a shot. First atheism includes a range of ideas. Included among those is that the very concept of god is invalid. There is no coherent definition for 'god'. This form of atheism isn't a belief that god does not exist but rather a belief that there is not even a valid god concept and you can't even discuss the existence of something until you have a valid concept.

I think that would be the ignostic or theological non-cognitivist view, to be pedantic. Atheism doesn't answer any whys in itself.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
zennotes wrote: I have

zennotes wrote:

Thanks.

You keep saying "you atheists." You said you don't believe in a god, so what is your position? 

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: I'm not

wavefreak wrote:

I'm not an atheist, but let me give it a shot. First atheism includes a range of ideas. Included among those is that the very concept of god is invalid.

What else is included in this range? 

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paul Robinson wrote: "All

Paul Robinson wrote:

"All religions are the same, and are like soap and toothpaste manufacturers: they consider their brand to be the only one you should buy; don't like the other brands and want you to only pay attention to their advertising. They want you to feel guilty if you don't use their brand and tell you all the bad consequences of using another brand."

Well written.  The only problem is that toothpaste actually is beneficial unlike religion.  Perhaps something like soda would be a better analogy. 

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy

shelleymtjoy wrote:
wavefreak wrote:

I'm not an atheist, but let me give it a shot. First atheism includes a range of ideas. Included among those is that the very concept of god is invalid.

What else is included in this range?

Surely you jest? Not all atheists are theological non-positivists. I'm flattered that you would have a theist teach you aboout atheism, but I doubt my qualifications. 

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
sarcasm.   

sarcasm.   

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy

shelleymtjoy wrote:

sarcasm.

Ya caught meYell

zennotes
User is offlineOffline
All religions are not the

All religions are not the same. This is evident by the outer forms. Some require animal sacrifice, some human sacrifice, others no sacrifice.

Religions have many differing outer forms.

Some require submission to a greater being. Others require submission to a way of life. Others require inquiry.

Religions differ greatly.

Unfortunetely, western religions have been so diluted over the last 400-500 years they have lost their power and are mere shells.

For a truly religious life, few beliefs are required, but much trust, great effort, and great pain and suffering.

Pain and suffering?

Well going to church on sunday and singing a few hymns are not suffering. Well maybe they are but not in the traditional sense of real suffering.

Suffering is a necessary part of the religious experience.

Forget about the 3 western religions, christianity, judaism, islam.

Instead look at the aboriginal and tribal religions. Frequently called "Nature Religions".

The religion of the American Indians, Australian Aborigines, etc.

These primitive religions give us a flavour of the true religions of man and the part they play in his life.

zennotes
User is offlineOffline
All religions are not the

Errh. Yeah.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Before you knock

Quote:
Before you knock something, you have to define it. What is God? Or What is a God?

Ss'Karfjjl created you, and controls your existence. Ss'Karfjjl demands that you spend your life savings on oatmeal and raisin cookies, then rob a bank, then spend your spoils on Stewie Griffin t-shirts and cans of Mountain Dew.

If you do not do things by sundown tomorrow, Ss'Karfjjl will banish you to Trrrk'Yyar, where you will wallow in vomit and drink cobra saliva for all eternity.

By your rational, you cannot 'knock' the ludicrous claims I just made. You have no idea who or what Ss'Karfjjl or Trrrk'Yyar could be (or, likely, how to even pronounce them 'correctly&#39Eye-wink, so is it reasonable that I demand you somehow define those things before you can dismiss them? I mean, arguably, you could try to define them, but you'd never be correct in your definition (because, well, there isn't a correct defintion for either absurd entity). So, no - it's not reasonable.

On that same token, it's unreasonable to ask me to define 'God', a fantastical deity that literally has no definition.

I have a perfectly good 'idea' of what I'm denying myself here. Absolutely nothing.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
    yeah buddha ! god of

yeah buddha !

god of no known definition .....

"no definition"

now what ?

RELAX .... get a grip .... then die laughing ! 

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would say that the

I would say that the analogy can be taken even a step farther:

While the marketing staff of the companies behind the toothpaste products try to get people to believe that their particular brand is the best and all others fall short, most of the consumers don't actually believe it. Most of the consumers of toothpaste use the same toothpaste that they did when they were growing up. And indeed, most of the consumers don't care what toothpaste other consumers use, but would be very disturbed to find out that their neighbor doesn't brush his teeth at all.