Free will Argument I heard from Brian today?

SarahA
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Free will Argument I heard from Brian today?

If I really have free will from God?

How come I can't jump as high as I want? Or does god Limit my free will? And if it is limited....is it really free will?

My explanation

Well

Free will means...you have free to Will what you choose. That doesn't mean 'God' is going to recreate the universe according to your own specifications every time you wanna wish for something. You're part of the grand design...not the composer. If  You have free will you can attempt to jump as high as you want. Gravity prevents you from going higher..

Free will means you have a choice to worship or serve him or not to.It does nothing to enpower a person with supernatural powers.

Care to respond?  

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think if the Christian

I think if the Christian god offered me power over gravitational pull, I'd probably start worshipping him.

Yeah, I can be bought. Big deal. 

Crossover
Theist
User is offlineOffline
You don't have a choice to

You don't have a choice to worship Him or not. He chose those whom he would save. Those whoom He chose to save, He gave a desire to worship Him.

Romans 8:28-29

Ephesians 1

My Master has no desire to be merely victor in a debate: he did not come into the world to fight a battle of logic just
for the sake of winning it. --Charles Spurgeon

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think the answer back in

I think the answer back in my catholic school days would have been that anything is possible and god gave us the necessary things to - in this case - build muscles up or machines that would enable us to jump higher.  apparently, all this stuff is here to keep us occupied for the time we are on this earth.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums,

Welcome to the forums, SarahA!

We'd like to get to know you a little better. When you get a minute, we'd love it if you'd hop over to the General Conversation, Introductions and Humor forum and introduce yourself.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
SarahA wrote:

SarahA wrote:
If I really have free will from God?

How come I can't jump as high as I want? Or does god Limit my free will? And if it is limited....is it really free will?

My explanation

Well

Free will means...you have free to Will what you choose.

Ok, I choose to jump 50 feet into the air.

<jumps> <jumps>

It didn't work.

Quote:
That doesn't mean 'God' is going to recreate the universe according to your own specifications every time you wanna wish for something.

Ok, so god limited my free will.

Quote:
You're part of the grand design...not the composer. If You have free will you can attempt to jump as high as you want. Gravity prevents you from going higher..

So god limited my free will by creating gravity. Why couldn't he limit murder by creating some anti weapon suction device, that instantly sucks weapons into hell? You know why? Because he is evil... or maybe... just maybe... he doesn't exist.

Quote:

Free will means you have a choice to worship or serve him or not to.

Ok, I choose not to, as it's an unintelligible incoherent illogical and retarded notion that the God of the bible exists.

Quote:
It does nothing to enpower a person with supernatural powers.

Funny how God could've prevented murder and because he didn't, we'd refer to the "ability to prevent murder" as supernatural.

For a second, I'll be ok without jumping 50 ft high...

Why can't I jump as high as Michael Jordan or play basketball as good as him. I want to, I supposedly have free will, yet in all of my practice I could never beat him. His skills are not supernatural... they are natural. So why can't I reproduce his non supernatural ability with my free will. And don't say practice... because no amount of practice will get me to be able to jump from the foul line to slam dunk a ball.

Speaking of the devil, no amount of practice will allow Michael Jordan himself to be as good as he once was at basketball. Why did God limit Michael Jordans free will... unless of course you want to argue that Michael Jordan is choosing to be a washed up superstar.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Crossover wrote: You don't

Crossover wrote:

You don't have a choice to worship Him or not. He chose those whom he would save. Those whoom He chose to save, He gave a desire to worship Him.

Ephesians 1

So you admit we don't have free will?  Or you admit the bible says wedon't have free will?  Or both? 

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Free Will

The christian idea of free will is completely superficial.

Picture Jules from Pulp Fiction holding a gun to your forehead, and he says, "Say 'what' again. I dare you."

It's totally within your free will whether you want to say it or not. But is that REALLY free will? Or is it just a scare tactic in a free will costume?

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Fateless7
User is offlineOffline
Exodus 4:21 And the LORD

Exodus

4:21 And the LORD said unto Moses, When thou goest to return into Egypt, see that thou do all those wonders before Pharaoh, which I have put in thine hand: but I will harden his heart, that he shall not let the people go.

----------

According to the Bible, you don't have free will! God can force you to make the decisions he wants you to make, and then punish you for it.

Any thoughts on this?

Fateless7
User is offlineOffline
Exodus

{Edit - triple post}

Fateless7
User is offlineOffline
Exodus

{Edit - triple post}

Fateless7
User is offlineOffline
=( Sorry, I didn't know it

=( Sorry, I didn't know it was posting three times! I got an error message instead of a confirmation. Can someone delete the extra posts please? I don't see the option to do it myself.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
I think free will is an ad

I think free will is an ad hoc invented to address the contradictions of omnipotence.

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline

Crossover wrote:

Ephesians 1

Sounds like a guy I wouldn't worship anyway. 

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline

Crossover wrote:

Ephesians 1

I like watching theists refute theists...

"freewill" and omnipotence cannot coexist, if there is an omnipotent creator that preordains the universe, there cannot be free will.

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

bzeurunkl
Theist
bzeurunkl's picture
User is offlineOffline
See my comment in

See my comment in "Omniscience and free will".

Sapeint's idiocy will be reavealed in all it's stupendous glory.

bzeurunkl
Theist
bzeurunkl's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: "freewill" and

Quote:
"freewill" and omnipotence cannot coexist, if there is an omnipotent creator that preordains the universe, there cannot be free will.

You, my friend, are nearer the Kingdom of Heaven than you may realize!

Eye-wink