Ok, enough fun and games. Time to save the world. (Moved from Freethinking Anonymous)

Limbo
User is offlineOffline
Ok, enough fun and games. Time to save the world. (Moved from Freethinking Anonymous)

Hello, RR community. I am the immanent incarnation of the supernatural realm Limbo. I have taken physical form to tell you science geeks how to save the world from religious fundamentalism and extremism before humanity blows itself to bits. You see, I have a plan.

But there's good news and bad news. The good news is it's something even you nerds can do, if you try. The bad news is it has nothing to do with your precious science, so most of you will be out of your element. Think you Einsteins can handle that?

We shall see. I bet the Dream Realm 20 souls that you guys are up for it. Don't let me down...I don't have 20 souls to spare.

So, anyway. My plan. See, it's just two words...two simple words that theists and atheists alike overlook. Theists are too busy looking up at heaven to see them, and atheists are too busy burying their noses in their science books to see them. Two simple words that, if you are wise, will point you bookworms in the right direction. And here they are.

Comparative Mysticism

Heard of it? Probably not. But by the time I'm done here, you will be familiar enough with it to know how it will solve all your religious problems.

Before I start...are there any questions?

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
rolat3 wrote: i understand

rolat3 wrote:
i understand most of what your saying (i think) and i agree in many ways, but i also think you should realize that what your talking about has been largly explored in the past

What *I'm* talking about has never been attempted before because we didn't have an understanding of memes until the last 20 years.

Listen to this short Daniel Dennett clip discussing memes. Listen especially near the end when he talks about how to combat virulent memes:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/daniel_dennett_at_ted_conference_must_see

Quote:
 and the best stuff usually isnt open knowledge, it is far too easy to manipulate people when one knows how and it is very temping to do so, if you think that you could control your self and that those involved could do the same and not use the ability to convince those around you of clear falsehoods, then i would support you looking into the matter and even supply some of the more crude "tricks" that im familiar with....

Open knowledge is the only long-term way to defend against something like this. The best encyption methods are publicly known, and because they are publicly known, anyone is free to try to crack them. And many people, especially cryptography researchers, can and do break such codes. The ones that survive the public onslaught are the ones that we use today. Security through obscurity does not work. It is better to have an open method that is so good that it can withstand the best attacks on the planet. Open source software uses a similar approach. If you are using Firefox, you can thank the openness of open-source for Firefox's robust security features and quick patching of known exploits.

Also, think of it more like a self-defense course than an assault training course. You explain how people are manipulated and teach them how to protect themselves from bad ideas. Learning Karate or Jujitsu is technically learning how to harm people, but most people use it for self-defense or sport, and there's nothing wrong with those uses. If I was concerned with being beat up, I would definitely learn some self-defense.

Quote:
"Absolute power corupts absolutly."

Nobody here is talking about giving anyone (or any dogma) absolute power. The corollary of that quote is that "Having no power is no defense against corruption."

Quote:
you should make a note that many magicians and illusionist use the same "tricks" as "mysticism" for simply entertaining others, you should also realize that hitler, stalin, and many other "charismatic leaders" who manipulated entire populations were often familiar with these "tricks"....

I agree. And I bet that the people they used these 'tricks' on didn't know these tricks, and had no psychological defenses against them. Watching Derren Brown is enough to prove that it is the wrong policy to leave these 'tricks' in the hands of politicians and corporations and hucksters and priests.

Quote:
 like most tools, what it acomplishes is dependent on what the person using the tool does with it....

I completely agree.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: It all boils down to

Quote:
It all boils down to flaws in human nature. THAT is why atheism will ultimately fail.

Atheism will never fail because atheism is not a thing, it is a lack of a thing.

But let's get this straight. This site is not about atheism per se, it is about rational thinking primarily. We are not advocating blind atheism, we are advocating a rational method which will eventually lead you to the realization that atheism is the position that makes the most sense.

Limbo wrote:
I was hoping that a tongue-in-cheek, school teacher approach might get atheists to listen long enough, but it didn't work.

Many atheists have problems with authority figures (or more specifically, with people who think they are the be-all end-all), which is how some of your posts came across.

Quote:
It's hard getting atheists to listen for many reasons, first and formost because of all the emotional knee-jerk reactions to the words mysticism, mythology, religion. Some atheists can't control their emotions long enough to learn.

I'll agree with that slightly. In our rejection of emotionalism, we sometimes also reject emotion. And when we reject emotion, we become blind to the fact that we cannot escape our own human emotions, and that we are in fact influenced by them. So, ironically, some atheists who reject emotion end up ruled by stunted emotions. I am myself recovering from crippling anti-emotion.

Quote:
And because of flaws in human nature, which of course atheists have, they aren't open to alternatives. It has to be science or nothing...and to hell with the consequences.

This is an oversimplification, and a case of you shooting yourself in the foot.

Atheists are human just like anyone else, and they have their biases and their modes of communication.

In your advocacy of comparative myth, you perhaps miss the most important tactic:

If you want to influence someone, you have to speak their language.

You came in here speaking not the language of us rational responders, but the language of some snooty know-it-all. (You more or less admit it yourself)

My point here is that when we *apply* the ideas of comparative myth for the purposes of influencing people, we should use their myths, their metaphors, their vocabulary.... but use these to teach them *our* concepts.

Before you can attempt this, you pretty much need to spend some time getting a grasp of their language so you can see things from their perspective. And from this perspective, you present a new perspective that will make them think and move more towards your own perspective.

Quote:
Yes, hypocritical. Atheists value rationality, yet here is a legitimate academic field of study (comparative mysticism) which they shun for petty personal reasons. Not rational reasons. That is hypocrisy in my book.

I agree it's irrational to reject a field just because of personal bias, but you are over-generalizing all atheists.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Are you

Susan wrote:
Are you advocating dope? 

Aside from being illegal in various countries, what's wrong with psilocybin mushrooms? And what's wrong with advocating them?

If dope means marijuana, mushrooms, or even LSD, I see no problems with advocacy. Of course, you have to be careful with the drugs and use them in a safe environment (esp. LSD), but aside from that caveat....

(Not that Limbo was advocating, I just thought it strange for you to jump on that point.)

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Limbo, you make some

Limbo, you make some interesting points, but you're also rather whiny, obnoxious and condescending. Just talk plainly instead of ending every paragraph with some jabbing indictment and maybe the conversation can begin in earnest.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote: Susan

natural wrote:

Susan wrote:
Are you advocating dope?

Aside from being illegal in various countries, what's wrong with psilocybin mushrooms? And what's wrong with advocating them?

If dope means marijuana, mushrooms, or even LSD, I see no problems with advocacy. Of course, you have to be careful with the drugs and use them in a safe environment (esp. LSD), but aside from that caveat....

(Not that Limbo was advocating, I just thought it strange for you to jump on that point.)

I guess I wasn't clear.  It sounded like Limbo was advocating dope in order to get closer to the supernatural. This insinuates that the supernatural is real and can be "contacted" or people can become "one" with it.

Apparently my post in this thread about my views on the legaiization of marajuana was missed.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Tomcat
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:  So,

natural wrote:

So, ironically, some atheists who reject emotion end up ruled by stunted emotions. I am myself recovering from crippling anti-emotion.

As am I.  Well said

I accuse many academic atheists of seeing themselves as trans-passionate: that they have trascended our "animal" passions to the higher plain of Reason.  In fact, they very much still are affected by them, to the point that it can get in the way of progress on advancing rational thought [read: atheist movement]

The Enlightenment wounded the beast, but the killing blow has yet to land...

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: I guess I

Susan wrote:

I guess I wasn't clear.  It sounded like Limbo was advocating dope in order to get closer to the supernatural. This insinuates that the supernatural is real and can be "contacted" or people can become "one" with it.

I don't think Limbo believes in the supernatural. 'Spiritual' experiences exist as a natural phenomenon of the human brain. They are misinterpreted by many people to be of supernatural origin, but there's no reason to believe that. The fact that a drug can enduce/enhance such experiences is proof enough to me that they are natural. And yes, if you want to experience that 'spiritual' feeling, drugs actually can help if used properly.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tomcat wrote: natural

Tomcat wrote:
natural wrote:

So, ironically, some atheists who reject emotion end up ruled by stunted emotions. I am myself recovering from crippling anti-emotion.

As am I.  Well said

I accuse many academic atheists of seeing themselves as trans-passionate: that they have trascended our "animal" passions to the higher plain of Reason.  In fact, they very much still are affected by them, to the point that it can get in the way of progress on advancing rational thought [read: atheist movement]

I know for me personally, it had to do with fears and pains from social clashes when I was young. I was a very sensitive kid and took a lot of stuff personally, especially unfair treatment. Eventually I just held it in and turned off my emotions, finding much less painful interest in math, science, and computers.

I was essentially living in fear of feeling my own emotions. But that fear built up over the years, and now it's seriously messing with my life. I finally see the practical need for emotion in a human's life. An unhappy life leads nowhere.

I think there's a possibility of balancing emotions and rationality. I think there are many people on this site who are able to achieve this balance.

But I also think there are many atheists who are in essence afraid of emotion due to past experiences, and who are so strongly biased against emotion that they forget that they too are at the root (literally, of the brain) driven by emotions.

Tomcat
User is offlineOffline
So, funny this thread got

So, funny this thread got moved from freethinking anonymous to atheist vs. theist.  Tell me, who is the theist here that we atheists are versus?

The Enlightenment wounded the beast, but the killing blow has yet to land...

magilum
User is offlineOffline
What the fuck was the point

What the fuck was the point here? I'm getting satire and whining and mushrooms and Southpark; and I'm about ready to give up on this. I was under the impression, possibly a mistaken one, that the reason comparative mythology was brought up wasn't to find and distill the 'good' of religion, but to break the last tenuous distinctions our culture holds between historical and practical myths.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tomcat wrote: I accuse

Tomcat wrote:

I accuse many academic atheists of seeing themselves as trans-passionate: that they have trascended our "animal" passions to the higher plain of Reason. In fact, they very much still are affected by them, to the point that it can get in the way of progress on advancing rational thought [read: atheist movement]

I do not claim to be unemotional, only that I do not feel an empty space left by religion and see no need to argue from emotion or fill someone elses 'empty space'. I do not long for fellowship, that comes with family and friends. I do not long for religious 'hope', my hope comes from analyzing the natural world and realizing the fraility yet durability of it all. I do not long to feel loved by the invisible, that comes from the loved ones I can see.

Atheism is not supposed to fill the emptiness left by faith in anyones heart, it is merely lack of belief. The missing 'parts' of one's emotional state when faith is gone can be filled with other secular activities but the individual needs to seek these things out and find what makes them happy. I am not here to provide these things for them, and certainly an internet forum is the last place to do this.

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's twice I've come

That's twice I've come across Joseph Campell.
His book is definately on my list of things to read.