Hitchens' challenge

el.kundo
User is offlineOffline
Hitchens' challenge

Hi!

I just read this topic: http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/sapient/atheist_vs_theist/9262 and

Hambydammit's question reminded me of a challenge Christopher Hitchens often offers to theists in debate: "Name one moral statement or action made by a theist, that couldn't have been made by a nonbeliever"

This addresses something, that always annoys me about theist, xtians in particular: They claim to be the moral authority and that without the bible and a godbelief there could be no moral behavior.

Theists argue, that there are so many good things done for religious reasons. No doubt, that's correct. But to think, that the necessary morality comes from the scriptures etc. isn't. Actually, the opposite is correct, I think: the basic morals of religions, e.g. some of the ten commandments, reflect the natural rules of behavior that have existed _before_ a certain religion developed and that are innate to social animals like we are and can be explained in the evolutional context

So i'd really like to see, what your suggestions to Hitchens' challenge are ^^

"And the only people I fear are those who never have doubts."
Billy Joel, 1993

And God spoke: You can stand under my umberella -ella -ella -eh -eh -eh ...

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
A Christian would say that

A Christian would say that through their actions they have brought people to Christ and saved their immortal souls. This is, to them at least, a moral action that has no peer. Anybody can help the poor. Only Christians can help people get to heaven.

Froggy618157725
Theist
Froggy618157725's picture
User is offlineOffline
How 'bout some of the kosher

How 'bout some of the kosher laws? Would that count? That's a sort of morality that's only relevant within the religion.

The sentence below is false.
The sentence above is true.
This sentence doesn't care.

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: A

wavefreak wrote:
A Christian would say that through their actions they have brought people to Christ and saved their immortal souls. This is, to them at least, a moral action that has no peer. Anybody can help the poor. Only Christians can help people get to heaven.

That is unless that Allah is the one true God. In which case this is the most immoral act possible as you've condemned these people to eternal suffering.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hitchens has done almost as

Hitchens has done almost as much good for atheism as Jerry Falwell, Ted Haggard, and Jim Bakker have done for Christianity. 

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote: Hitchens has

jmm wrote:
Hitchens has done almost as much good for atheism as Jerry Falwell, Ted Haggard, and Jim Bakker have done for Christianity.

Really? May i ask you to provide evidence for such an assertion? 

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Hitchens has done

Quote:

Yeah, I'm really curious about this, too.  I'm not a big follower of Hitchens, but only because I have 24 hours in the day, and I am not a speed reader.  Even so, all I've seen from Hitchens is a basic "in your face" approach to what he believes with regard to atheism, the middle east, etc.

Where exactly has Hitchens lied to extract money from his followers?  That's a Fallwell, Haggard, and Bakker trademark.  Fallwell encouraged parents to confiscate and burn all of their children's records.  Has Hitchens done something similar?  Fallwell said that 9/11 was because of gays.  Haggart used church money to pay for blow jobs from prostitutes.  Bakker went to jail for being a thief and an embezzler.

Where's the connection?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
stillmatic

stillmatic wrote:

wavefreak wrote:

That is unless that Allah is the one true God. In which case this is the most immoral act possible as you've condemned these people to eternal suffering.

True. Either way one of those groups is performing a moral act the nature of which is impossible for an atheist. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Hambydammit's

Quote:
Hambydammit's question reminded me of a challenge Christopher Hitchens often offers to theists in debate: "Name one moral statement or action made by a theist, that couldn't have been made by a nonbeliever"

Did you notice how many teeth I had to pull just to get a straight answer to the question? They were mad at me because they said my question was irrelevant, slanted towards the answer I was looking for... they said I kept changing it, even though I quoted myself repeatedly, demonstrating that it had always been the same question. They argued with me about what I was trying to "prove." They accused me of asking impossible questions. They claimed I was being too restrictive.

And only one or two liberal theists had the guts to go on record and answer my question as worded.

Yours, of course, is going a slightly different direction, and todangst has covered this a time or two, without ever receiving a satisfactory response.

Theism must steal from secular morality in order to have any morality at all.

If morality really were a supernatural, unalterable constant, we would not recognize it as morality! It would be more akin to a shopping list. Because we can make sense of morality, even when we disagree with it, it is materialist in origin.

I won't hog your thread by detailing the objections to what I just said. I'm sure someone will make them for me, and then you can have a crack at them.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: True. Either way one

Quote:
True. Either way one of those groups is performing a moral act the nature of which is impossible for an atheist.

Not quite.  The third possibility is that neither is performing a moral act, and it is quite impossible for anyone, not just for atheists.

Books about atheism

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
zntneo wrote: jmm

zntneo wrote:

jmm wrote:

Really? May i ask you to provide evidence for such an assertion?

I'm speaking solely on image.  Let's face it:  Hitchens is the guy that every Christian looks at when O'Reilly has him on, and feels justified in saying "Look!  See?  I told you they were all like that."  He's just a total and complete insufferable asshole about everything.  He exudes an unrivalled bitterness and hatred towards everything that isn't his brand of kamikazi atheism.  It's just ironic that his only arguments are ad hominem, yet he represents this unsavory caricature of atheism for the entire world, and just to be honest, it's not like you guys have a huge arsenal of figureheads to take up the slack.  Other than Hitchens, you've got Dawkins (who isn't much better), Sam Harris (whose bombastic sensationalism is paper thin), and most recently Sapient (who is probably the most respectable and even tempered of the bunch).  I'm sure there are a few minor figures that I've missed, but those are the ones that are the most prominent on a national/world level in pop culture.  

Needless to say, I take everything that Hitchens says with a grain of salt.  He's like a bad B-movie character from the early 60's.   

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

[...]They were mad at me because they said my question was irrelevant, slanted towards the answer I was looking for... they said I kept changing it, even though I quoted myself repeatedly, demonstrating that it had always been the same question. They argued with me about what I was trying to "prove." They accused me of asking impossible questions. They claimed I was being too restrictive.[...]

That's untrue, and you know it.  I gave you a perfectly legitimate answer, then you had to scramble, split some hairs, and add a few caveats in order to render my answer null and void.  The earliest and most obvious unique contribution of Christianity to the world was Christ's revolutionary sociopolitical message.  I mean, it almost goes without saying.  But of course that knocked the bottom right out of your agenda-filled thread, so you tweaked it in order to get the 1-up on a technicality.  Of course no member of the RRS is going to call you out on it though, because you're a high-level donor.  That would be silly of them.  

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm, I'm sorry, but you

jmm, I'm sorry, but you have a very slanted view of some of these guys. Like I said, I'm not here to take up Hitchens' cause. But, have you seriously watched Dawkins? He never raises his voice. He smiles constantly. He is polite. When he says something is ridiculous, he apologizes, for pete's sake! "I'm sorry to have to say this. Really I am, but that's just poppycock." That's a standard Dawkins style reply!

Harris, well, I have written him a few letters, actually. I disagree with some of his editorials, as I feel they are resorting to scare tactics the Rethuglican Party would be proud of. I don't think the world's going to end if we don't eradicate Christianity. I'll just leave America, because it's already almost too fucked up for me to want to stay, and I couldn't stand much more theocracy.

No offense to Sapient, I think he's one of the best spokesman we've got, but to categorize Dawkins as anything other than polite is just plain wrong. Sapient will get angry and has had some head to head arguments. I've never heard Dawkins do that.

Surely you have noticed that many of the atheists here are upset with Dawkins because they don't feel he's "in your face" enough.

Dennet, I've never really seen, so I can't say, but I've never heard anything about him being bombastic or rude.

Out of curiosity, jmm, assuming that you had been involved with the media for a few decades, and everybody... literally, everybody but you had drank the koolaid, do you think you could keep from being bitter for long?

I'm not saying that it's a great public image. It's not. But, is it fair to demonize the guy for being pissed off that nobody has listened to him or anybody with his opinions for the last 30 years?

Have you noticed that nobody gets any face time on FOX unless they're angry?

Would you rather he just disappear from the scene?

We've already seen that religion will exploit the media. What do you propose that we do if we can't get on TV? Just let the theists say what they want, without rebuttal?

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: That's untrue, and

Quote:
That's untrue, and you know it.  I gave you a perfectly legitimate answer, then you had to scramble, split some hairs, and add a few caveats in order to render my answer null and void.

Don't go here, jmm.  Would you like me to quote from the thread?

Take that back.  Admit that my question remained the same and you didn't answer it correctly the first time.

Books about atheism

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
el.kundo

el.kundo wrote:

Well there's a problem, many theists just aren't moral in the sense that level headed people would understand.  Suicide bombings, terrorism, theft, murder, all moral acts to the fundamentalist.  Christians thought it was moral to keep slaves because they were too stupid and lazy to live on their own, the slaves I mean.

When a theist does something good with the expectation of a reward he isn't doing a moral act.  He is doing a job.  A theist who does something without the expectation of a reward is being moral, but that's what Atheists do all the time.  So the only time a theist is moral is when he behaves like an Atheist.

So the challenge cannot be met. 

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Not quite. The third possibility is that neither is performing a moral act, and it is quite impossible for anyone, not just for atheists.

True from an atheist viewpoint. But the religious define their morality as a result of their faith.  THEY believe they are saving somebody. This is something an atheist cannot do for they hold that there is nothing to even save. The real problem here is that the definitions of morality used by atheists and fundamentalists are so completely different that it really becomes an impossible question. "Common" acts are not limited to either camp. Helping the poor, not stealing, etc. - anyone can, and does, do these things. But the core purpose of fundamentalism is not to first be moral, but to first believe in salvation. The moral actions then follow the act of faith. This is the problem with the question. There is no moral action performable by theist that cannot be performed by an atheist ACCEPT those which are strictly related to the beliefs themselves.  While an athiest considers "saving someone" an impossiblity, the fundamentalist considers that fully real. In fact, the difference between fundamentalist morality and athit morality is no more starkly illustrated as when you consider that athiests consider the act of "saving" someone IMMORAL because it creates a false reality for that person.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: jmm,

Hambydammit wrote:

jmm, I'm sorry, but you have a very slanted view of some of these guys. Like I said, I'm not here to take up Hitchens' cause. But, have you seriously watched Dawkins? He never raises his voice. He smiles constantly. He is polite. When he says something is ridiculous, he apologizes, for pete's sake! "I'm sorry to have to say this. Really I am, but that's just poppycock." That's a standard Dawkins style reply!

Harris, well, I have written him a few letters, actually. I disagree with some of his editorials, as I feel they are resorting to scare tactics the Rethuglican Party would be proud of. I don't think the world's going to end if we don't eradicate Christianity. I'll just leave America, because it's already almost too fucked up for me to want to stay, and I couldn't stand much more theocracy.

No offense to Sapient, I think he's one of the best spokesman we've got, but to categorize Dawkins as anything other than polite is just plain wrong. Sapient will get angry and has had some head to head arguments. I've never heard Dawkins do that.

Surely you have noticed that many of the atheists here are upset with Dawkins because they don't feel he's "in your face" enough.

Dennet, I've never really seen, so I can't say, but I've never heard anything about him being bombastic or rude.

Out of curiosity, jmm, assuming that you had been involved with the media for a few decades, and everybody... literally, everybody but you had drank the koolaid, do you think you could keep from being bitter for long?

I'm not saying that it's a great public image. It's not. But, is it fair to demonize the guy for being pissed off that nobody has listened to him or anybody with his opinions for the last 30 years?

Have you noticed that nobody gets any face time on FOX unless they're angry?

Would you rather he just disappear from the scene?

We've already seen that religion will exploit the media. What do you propose that we do if we can't get on TV? Just let the theists say what they want, without rebuttal?

Yeah, I'd say I jumped the gun a bit on Dawkins.  I've seen quite a bit of him.  I watched the 6-part special that was posted here a few months ago.  I do enjoy Dawkins quite a bit, but I think more than anything it just frustrates me when scientists feel the need to assume authority over theological matters.  I know we could take that last statement for 100 pages, but let me just say this:  Dawkins is clearly a very special man.  He's one of if not the most gifted evolutionary biologists living today.  I just think he oversteps the intellectual boundary with his conclusions, that's my main gripe with him.  

Oh, I've seen video of Sapient getting angry, and the time I'm remembering he was totally in the right.  Todd Friel was being a douchebag (as usual), and they got into it.  I think it was after the televised debate with Ray and Kirk.  I think that Sapient is actually quite a good spokesman for the atheist cause.  

As for being able to hold back bitterness after decades of media dismissal...I don't really know.  I haven't even been alive for 3 decades yet, so it wouldn't be fair of me to comment on something like that.  I'm very low-key with my spiritual beliefs.  I do get angry when rights are infringed upon from either side, but I've never been an activist of any sort, so it would be hard for me to say.

I totally understand that FOX News is a sensationalist spin machine of the highest order.  I mean, it's entertainment above everything else, whether it means to be or not.  They're not going to have guys on there with even tempers.  Shouting keeps people from changing the channel, at that's the bottom line.  

I don't think that Hitchens or anyone else should just disappear.  I think we live in an exciting time for the age-old God question.  It's certainly on the collective mind of the populus, and it's really exciting for me to be able to turn on the television and see intense, passionate debates on the question that has burned my mind the most.  It's just that sometimes the networks opt for the loudest or most shocking figurehead of each side of the debate, rather than the most qualified, and while this may do a great deal for ratings, it leaves a little to be desired in the actual debate itself.  I'd really like to see both sides gradually steer away from the ad hominem attacks and focus more on the meat of the issue itself.  I think we're getting there.  

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: True from an atheist

Quote:
True from an atheist viewpoint. But the religious define their morality as a result of their faith. THEY believe they are saving somebody.

What are we talking about here? They believe they're doing a moral thing because of reasoning it out according to their beliefs, right? So they're stealing from materialism to form their own morality, based on a belief without evidence.

To be fair, I should have corrected you further. I should have been more of a stickler for the definition of moral. If it's moral because heaven's good, then there's no evidence, because heaven is completely unfalsifiable, so there's no way to really call it moral. If it's moral because they believe it to be so, then we're talking about subjective individual morality, and there's no point in mentioning the rest of society. If it's moral because it's objectively good in some quantifiable way, then I'd like to see the published findings.

Quote:
The real problem here is that the definitions of morality used by atheists and fundamentalists are so completely different that it really becomes an impossible question.

That's the point exactly. Fundamentalists' "morality" is simply a bastard child of materialism. There is no difference in the way the morality is conceived. They think it's right. They reason that it's correct. This is simply materialist morality based on the invalid conclusions of faith.

They are not different.

It's another broken concept. Morality cannot exist without materialism, and morality cannot be described in supernatural terms -- in ANY way.

If you'd like to argue against that, please do so by arguing for something in completely supernatural terms.

Quote:
But the core purpose of fundamentalism is not to first be moral, but to first believe in salvation.

I can't think of a better refutation of fundamentalism than this.

Quote:
The moral actions then follow the act of faith.

Except that you just admitted that they don't follow the act of faith. They happen anyway.

Quote:
This is the problem with the question.

There is no problem. Only a misunderstanding by those who don't understand the answer.

Quote:
There is no moral action performable by theist that cannot be performed by an atheist ACCEPT those which are strictly related to the beliefs themselves.

And these acts cannot be demonstrated as moral, except through an appeal to the supernatural, which has to steal from materialism, which leads us back to where we started.

Quote:
In fact, the difference between fundamentalist morality and athit morality is no more starkly illustrated as when you consider that athiests consider the act of "saving" someone IMMORAL because it creates a false reality for that person.

Well stated. I would say that it is not a given that atheists consider this immoral. It is possible for an act to be neither moral nor immoral, and I'd guess that lots of atheists feel this way. You are among the most militant atheists here, so the views here will be weighted heavily.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm, that was a much more

jmm, that was a much more reasonable answer as to the atheist "spokesman."  Now, we have one more bit of business.

jmm wrote:
I'd really like to see both sides gradually steer away from the ad hominem attacks and focus more on the meat of the issue itself.

Good.  So, admit that you lied, or misrepresented, or misspoke, or whatever makes you happy.  I did not change my question.  You misunderstood it.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, hell.

Well, hell.

I've got to go, but I'm actually pretty upset about being misrepresented. I had this composed and ready in case jmm disagreed. I'm going to post it anyway, and hope that it doesn't cross paths with a thoughtful apology.

If it does, I'm sorry.

Jmm, if you haven't apologized yet, understand that I'm not mad at you, but I will not stand for being lied about, whether the intention is to lie, or whether you simply didn't read the posts correctly.

I tried to get everything relevant without reposting all of the text between us in my thread. If you feel I missed something important, please quote it in context. If it turns out that I did change the question, I will apologize. If I didn't, I expect the same from you.

Original Post:

Quote:
What has Christianity contributed to the world, that is unique to Christianity, would have been impossible without Christianity, and has made the world a better place?

Answer by jmm:

Quote:
Well, discounting all of the perceived "supernatural hogwash" of the Gospel, the first thing that comes to my mind in terms of Jesus' earthly ministry is his unique place as a socio-political revolutionary in his day and time, apart from (or perhaps even instead of) his role as a spiritual leader.

Response by Hambydammit:

Quote:

jmm, I didn't overlook your comment. Sorry.

I'm not really thinking of debating your point, although I don't agree with it, nor do I think it answers my question.

I asked for things that Christianity has done. Establishing Jesus' historicity and, subsequently, the accuracy of the acts and words he allegedly did and said, are beyond the scope of this question. I want to know what the religion specifically has contributed. In other words, what have the teachings of Christianity made possible that could not have been possible but for the uniqueness of the Christian theology?

JMM:

Quote:
If you're just going to tweak the question when a Christian gives you a good answer when you weren't expecting one, then what's the point?

HD:

Quote:
Christianity didn't exist until after Paul. Paul lived after Jesus. (assuming Jesus' historicity) Therefore, anything Jesus did wasn't done by Christianity. See?

JMM:

Quote:
This thread has turned into dadaism. To separate Christ from Christianity is...well...there's just no way to adequately respond to that, hamby, because it's the most absurd thing I've ever heard. You keep tweaking and tweaking, adding caveat after caveat, then you blame us, the theists, for not being able to understand your post-modern collage of a question.

Note that you bristled at this, but did not rebut it. Christianity existed AFTER Jesus death, and so is EXPLICIT in my originial question. Go back and read it again. I've quoted every response so far. Where is "caveat after caveat"?

After a bit about Pauline Christianity, which you never differentiated from this mysterious other Christianity that wasn't founded on Paul, you admitted the answer to my original, unchanged question.

You weren't content with this, and posted the following:

Quote:

Quote:

Hamby, please stop, I beg of you. This is patent absurdity.

The caveats just keep coming - now I somehow don't count as a "Christian", simply because I've had my doubts and have been leaning towards deism for a few years now. I don't know how much more explicit I can be about this: I am a Christian. But you see, the problem is that I'm one of those educated Christians, not one of those caricatures that's so easily pummelled.

ATTN ATHEISTS:

one of you, for the love of science and logic, please call hamby out on these ridiculous claims. I know that RRS members don't make a habit of disagreeing with any of their own, but this is just beyond belief.

To which I challenged you:

Quote:
What's so hard about this?

I have made no caveats. I have asked a very specific question, which has remained the same throughout the thread. If you assert that this is not so, you should quote me and demonstrate where my question has changed.

Are you objecting to the validity of the question? It's perfectly valid. I have stated the parameters clearly.

Are you objecting to the answer? If so, then please provide an alternate answer.

What other objection could you have?

Who's pummelling anybody? Have I done anything except correct you when you misunderstood the question?

Please, for the love of science, back up your statements or stop making them!

The only other post you made was in response to me calling you a quasi-Christian -- something you have essentially done yourself. You've often expressed skepticism at fundamentalist, and even liberal Christianity, and admitted that the whole thing sounds contrived. Yet, when I call you a quasi Christian, you respond with:

Quote:
Seriously dude, what the hell?

So, jmm, would you like to actually respond to criticism, or is it time to run away when you've been soundly refuted?

Admit that you didn't answer the question I asked, and then accused me of changing the question.

[edit:  Oh, and one other thing has me bristling.

Quote:
Of course no member of the RRS is going to call you out on it though, because you're a high-level donor.  That would be silly of them.

Take this back.  If I can be called out, you do it.  The whole thread's there.  Show me where I changed the question.  Don't just whine and say that I have immunity.  Everything is in print.  You don't need anyone to speak for you.  You have your own brain and your own keyboard.  Do it yourself, and stop insinuating special treatment.  Shame on you!

Books about atheism

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Well

Hambydammit wrote:

Well stated. I would say that it is not a given that atheists consider this immoral. It is possible for an act to be neither moral nor immoral, and I'd guess that lots of atheists feel this way. You are among the most militant atheists here, so the views here will be weighted heavily.

LOL. I sometimes forget this site is a more "militant" place than some. I guess I don't find it that intimidating. Stimulating? Absolutely. But Ah ain't skeered.

I can't disagree with anything you said. The morality of fundamentalism is definately a "supernatural" thing for which there can be no emperical evaluation of its veracity.  As soon as supernatural is invoked, any damn thing can be claimed.  

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: LOL. I sometimes

Quote:
LOL. I sometimes forget this site is a more "militant" place than some. I guess I don't find it that intimidating. Stimulating? Absolutely. But Ah ain't skeered.

It's only scary to those who are threatened by it. That's almost a tautology, wouldn't you say?

Quote:
I can't disagree with anything you said. The morality of fundamentalism is definately a "supernatural" thing for which there can be no emperical evaluation of its veracity. As soon as supernatural is invoked, any damn thing can be claimed.

And yet, it's interesting that you chose to say you can't disagree with me, as opposed to voicing explicit agreement. It's not exactly the same, after all. You could be neutral on the matter, but I know you're not.

Funny how being on opposite sides of the fence encourages us to hedge our bets even when we agree, isn't it?

Books about atheism

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: And

Hambydammit wrote:

And yet, it's interesting that you chose to say you can't disagree with me, as opposed to voicing explicit agreement. It's not exactly the same, after all. You could be neutral on the matter, but I know you're not.

Funny how being on opposite sides of the fence encourages us to hedge our bets even when we agree, isn't it?

Curious way of putting it. I guess I tend to hedge my bets about a lot of things. I'm pretty certain that much of what I think of reality is either woefully inadequate or just plain wrong. So even things that seem accurate on the face of it (such as your statements) get filed in the section "worth deeper evaluation". I'm relatively patient. I don't have to have all the answers TODAY. I'm quite content to let the stew cook for awhile.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
That's untrue, and you know it. I gave you a perfectly legitimate answer, then you had to scramble, split some hairs, and add a few caveats in order to render my answer null and void.

Don't go here, jmm. Would you like me to quote from the thread?

Take that back. Admit that my question remained the same and you didn't answer it correctly the first time. 

I'll quote from the thread.  Here's the original question:

Hambydammit wrote:

What has Christianity contributed to the world, that is unique to Christianity, would have been impossible without Christianity, and has made the world a better place?

(Note: I'm asking about things on earth. Getting to go to heaven doesn't happen in this world.)

I'm probably not going to respond. I'll leave that to our members. I'm really just interested in collecting a list of answers.

Thanks.

To which I responded:

jmm wrote:
Well, discounting all of the perceived "supernatural hogwash" of the Gospel, the first thing that comes to my mind in terms of Jesus' earthly ministry is his unique place as a socio-political revolutionary in his day and time, apart from (or perhaps even instead of) his role as a spiritual leader.

http://www.marxists.org/history/usa/parties/spusa/1914/0300-debs-jesussupreme.pdf

That's a short but sweet little essay penned by 19th-20th century American Socialist Eugene V. Debs.

Speaking from a socio-political perspective, Jesus was way ahead of his time.

My response suspiciously went totally ignored for a few pages, then after a friendly reminder, you replied:

Hambydammit wrote:

jmm, I didn't overlook your comment. Sorry.

I'm not really thinking of debating your point, although I don't agree with it, nor do I think it answers my question.

I asked for things that Christianity has done. Establishing Jesus' historicity and, subsequently, the accuracy of the acts and words he allegedly did and said, are beyond the scope of this question. I want to know what the religion specifically has contributed. In other words, what have the teachings of Christianity made possible that could not have been possible but for the uniqueness of the Christian theology?

I've bolded the first caveat.  Notice how the question went from "What unique contribution has Christianity made to the world" to "What unique contribution has Christian Theology made to the world"? 

My reply:

jmm wrote:
I'm not looking into starting a "historicity of Jesus" debate, as an entire thread already exists for those types of discussions. Whether or not Jesus actually existed, nor whether or not the original manuscripts of the gospels are accurate has nothing to do with the fact that the gospels have been around for ~1900 years in some form or fashion, so therefore the "alleged" teachings of Christ had an impact on the world a long, long time ago whether he actually existed or not, or whether the texts were corrupt or not. If you for whatever reason do not consider the gospels to be the cornerstone of Christianity as well as Christian theology, then I don't know what else to say to you.

If you're just going to tweak the question when a Christian gives you a good answer when you weren't expecting one, then what's the point?

Just to get things straight, now the question is: "What has Christian theology uniquely contributed to the world?" I want to know if this is the question now before I waste my time on another response.

To which you replied:

Hambydammit wrote:

Original Question:

Quote:

(Note: I'm asking about things on earth. Getting to go to heaven doesn't happen in this world.)

I'm probably not going to respond. I'll leave that to our members. I'm really just interested in collecting a list of answers.

Thanks.

Christianity didn't exist until after Paul. Paul lived after Jesus. (assuming Jesus' historicity) Therefore, anything Jesus did wasn't done by Christianity. See?

I'm not changing my question. You theists are the ones avoiding the answer and trying to find a way to answer it without addressing what I clearly mean.

If the answer is "nothing" just say "nothing." I promise there's no "gotcha!" at the end of this.

Here I've bolded the second caveat.  Sure, from the perspective of the history of Christianity, as we practice it today, it didn't exist until after Paul.  This is just semantics, however.  To say that what Christ did and taught has nothing to do with Christianity is like saying that Barry Bonds hitting the 756th home run really had nothing to do with the home run record until journalists reported it, until it was officially on the record book, until they released the limited edition baseball card, etc.  Without Bonds actually hitting the home run, journalists wouldn't be writing about it, and likewise, without Christ's actions (whatever they were), the authors of the new testament certainly wouldn't have been writing anything about him. 

So not only is this the second alteration to the original question, it's also patently absurd.  

My reply:

jmm wrote:

This thread has turned into dadaism. To separate Christ from Christianity is...well...there's just no way to adequately respond to that, hamby, because it's the most absurd thing I've ever heard. You keep tweaking and tweaking, adding caveat after caveat, then you blame us, the theists, for not being able to understand your post-modern collage of a question.

Of course Pauline Christianity has done nothing unique for the physical world. Hasn't done a whole hell of a lot for the kingdom of God for that matter. Have the criteria been adequately parsed down to suit you? Is this answer adequate, or will there be another round of modifications? Christian theology between Paul and Augustine, but only with theologians who were born on a leap year and whose middle names begin with Q, perhaps?

A bit emotionally driven and sarcastic, but I believe I made my point.  To which you replied:

Hambydammit wrote:

If you're ok with me shortening Pauline Christianity to "Christianity." I mean, seriously... was there Christianity before Paul? Are you suggesting that all the denominations commonly accepted as "Christian" aren't based on the New Testament -- the story of Jesus, and then the story of the establishment of Christianity, by Paul, after Jesus supposedly lived?

This is such a simple question. Why is everyone making such a big deal out of it?

So, jmm. I've got you down for "nothing" as the answer to the question.

Thank you.

(I ought to have been a dentist, as many teeth as I'm having to pull.)

Again, note the bolded portion.  Much like Sapient proclaimed victory before the televised debate even began, here you've twisted my words and claimed false victory.  I may have to consult Todangst on this, but I'm sure there's a logical fallacy that applies to this.  

Then you added insult to injury by questioning the integrity of my faith:

Hambydammit wrote:

So, despite the protests of some non-Christian theists, I've got one "leaning towards deism" Christian and one "There's something, dammit! There Just Has to Be!" Quasi-Theist who have been brave enough to answer.

"Nothing" seems to be the going theory.

Any Christians care to weigh in with something?

Has your religion contributed ANYTHING unique and good to the world?

I only made B's in logic courses, but something tells me that this is an ad hominem attack.  

At which point I pretty much bowed out of the debate.  So here we have it, physical proof of 

1)  one major restatement of the original question

2)  one huge, absurd caveat

3)  an early victory lap

4)  an ad hominem attack

Really, this is indefensible on your part.   

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Not quite.  The third possibility is that neither is performing a moral act, and it is quite impossible for anyone, not just for atheists.

There are more possibilities than that.

- God might only let atheists into heaven. The world is Gods test to see if people will think rationally

- God may only let those who chose the correct God and those who abstain from chosing into heaven.

- God might only let those who live good lives get into heaven regardless of their religious belief.

- God may be evil and reward those who lives out their lives commiting immoral acts.

Etc, etc, etc.

That all being said, just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean I couldn't convince someone to become a Christian either. But more importantly, you haven't established that becoming a Christian is a moral act in the first place.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
stillmatic wrote: But more

stillmatic wrote:

But more importantly, you haven't established that becoming a Christian is a moral act in the first place.

But that's exactly the point. Who get's to decide whether or not an act is moral? If it is a Christian, then they will say that "saving " someone is a moral act. If it is an atheist, then such an act is morally neutral at best and immoral at worst.  The argument that a Christian morality steals from materialism is completely irrelevant to the Christian. They believe it comes from the supernatural.

I guess I am often surprised that atheists expect Christians to just accept what arre perfectly good arguments about things like the origins of their morality or the impossibility of the supernatural. To a Christian, the existence of the supernatural is axiomatic. If logic and  science cannot find the supernatural it is because that logic and science are flawed. The atheist considers the fact that logic and science cannot find the supernatural as evidence that the supernatural does not exist. These are such fundamentally different starting points for constucting ones fewof reality that it is no wonder real communication between atheists and Christians is practically non-existence.

Note that this is NOT a defense of Christian ideas or the supernatural. It is ONLY an observation on the profound differences between atheism and Christianity. Unless you can find a way to get past those differences, you may as well go smack your head up against a brick wall.  Why do Christians "not get it"? Because they BELIEVE something so alien to atheism that they CAN'T get it.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I've bolded the

Quote:
I've bolded the first caveat. Notice how the question went from "What unique contribution has Christianity made to the world" to "What unique contribution has Christian Theology made to the world"?

Christianity is Christian theology. A religion is its teachings. The actions taken by the adherents to the religion are the result of them believing the theology. Therefore, the theology and the actions are the same, assuming the actions are consistent with the theology.

Notice that this leaves open the objection that Christians acting badly are not following the theology correctly. I did not attempt to define a "true" Christian, instead leaving open any interpretation that a theist wished to pursue. How, other than theology, would you communicate the teachings of Christianity?  You can't, because the theology IS the communication of the teachings of Christianity.  They are one in the same. 

This is sort of like what you said about Paul later. You're not even splitting hairs. You're pointing out that I used a different word that means the same thing. That's not a caveat.

Quote:
Here I've bolded the second caveat. Sure, from the perspective of the history of Christianity, as we practice it today, it didn't exist until after Paul. This is just semantics, however.

Bullshit.

Christianity was the word I used in the question. Christianity didn't exist until after Jesus. End of story.

Quote:
Much like Sapient proclaimed victory before the televised debate even began, here you've twisted my words and claimed false victory.

But your answer IS nothing. You answered a question I didn't ask, so it doesn't matter that you would like for your answer to be relevant. It isn't. After I explained what I was asking, you said, nothing. You never liked the question, and that's not my problem. Would you like to correct me? Is there something that CHRISTIANITY did? Or, is the answer to my question nothing?

Quote:
Without Bonds actually hitting the home run, journalists wouldn't be writing about it, and likewise, without Christ's actions (whatever they were), the authors of the new testament certainly wouldn't have been writing anything about him.

What are we debating? Jesus historicity? No. The impact of Christianity? Yes.

Again, YOU are the one twisting my question to suit the answer you'd like to give.

Quote:
I only made B's in logic courses, but something tells me that this is an ad hominem attack.

You'd have done better if you learned what ad hominems are, I suspect.

Quote:
1) one major restatement of the original question

False. Again, only one of us read "Christianity" and gave an answer from before the religion even existed.

Quote:
2) one huge, absurd caveat

You don't have to like the question. It's valid.

Quote:
3) an early victory lap

What?

Quote:
4) an ad hominem attack

Bullshit. Find a definition of ad hominem, and plug in the parts of my paragraph that fit the definition. Otherwise, take this back.

Quote:
Really, this is indefensible on your part.

Really, you have not demonstrated anything.

1) I said "Christianity." You answered before Christianity.

2) You didn't like it when I pointed this out to you, even though it's PART OF THE DEFINITION.

3) You still have not provided any evidence that I changed the question. Theology is what defines a religion. I left a door as wide as the Vatican for anyone to define the theology any way they want. Christianity post-dates Jesus. Theology is the religion.

4) Nothing I wrote was an ad hominem. Learn what it is before you accuse me of it.

5) Victory lap? You said, "Of course Pauline Christianity has done nothing unique for the physical world." So, your answer to my question was, "nothing." I used the exact word you did. "Nothing." I didn't misquote you. I even addressed your statement about Pauline Christianity, and received no rebuttal.

JMM, you've lost this. You didn't like the question, and you didn't like the fact that you couldn't answer it the way you wanted because it wasn't part of the question. This is not my concern. My concern is that you continue to misrepresent me because you don't want to admit that you were wrong. I did not change the question, nor did I commit an ad hominem, nor did I misquote you.

Feel free to write your own post about Jesus' unique contribution to the world. It's not my business, and I don't care to argue it. But for my thread, admit that the answer you gave is "nothing" and that I did not change the question. You were the one twisting it so that you could give the answer you wanted.

Books about atheism

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Geez you two. Get a room.

Geez you two. Get a room. The way you two argue the make up sex should be a thing of beauty.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Curious way of

Quote:
Curious way of putting it. I guess I tend to hedge my bets about a lot of things. I'm pretty certain that much of what I think of reality is either woefully inadequate or just plain wrong. So even things that seem accurate on the face of it (such as your statements) get filed in the section "worth deeper evaluation". I'm relatively patient. I don't have to have all the answers TODAY. I'm quite content to let the stew cook for awhile.

It's a wise position to take, if you ask me.

Quote:
But that's exactly the point. Who get's to decide whether or not an act is moral? If it is a Christian, then they will say that "saving " someone is a moral act. If it is an atheist, then such an act is morally neutral at best and immoral at worst. The argument that a Christian morality steals from materialism is completely irrelevant to the Christian. They believe it comes from the supernatural.

Are we talking about what's real, or what's perceived to be real? A person who believed that killing newborn babies so that they could go to heaven would be decried by everybody because there's a rational reason for not killing babies, and we can agree that it's immoral from a survival of the species point of view, from a parental point of view (assuming the baby was wanted) and from a legal point of view (after they are born, it's legally murder to kill them.)

This person would believe that he was committing a moral act. The argument that this person was stealing from materialism is completely irrelevant to EVERYONE who disagrees with him.

The fact is, morality is the description of human behavior towards other humans and to a lesser extent to the world/environment/etc. "Individual morality" is meaningless until another person is involved. So, the question of whether or not a Christian thinks he is being moral is irrelevant until another person is involved. At that time, we can examine whether or not it is in this person's best interest to become "saved." Without a supernatural point of reference, it's awfully difficult to assign it any value.

Quote:
To a Christian, the existence of the supernatural is axiomatic.

I don't see how their misunderstanding of the definition of "axiom" gives them a free pass.

Quote:
If logic and science cannot find the supernatural it is because that logic and science are flawed. The atheist considers the fact that logic and science cannot find the supernatural as evidence that the supernatural does not exist.

No. An atheist takes the fact that logic and science cannot define the supernatural for exactly what it is. A total lack of evidence. Since there is no other evidence other than logic or science which can be quantified, the atheist reverts to the default position -- lack of belief in the claim.

It is not positive evidence. It is a lack of evidence. Once again, the default position in a debate is negative. Without evidence, the answer is "no."

Quote:
These are such fundamentally different starting points for constucting ones fewof reality that it is no wonder real communication between atheists and Christians is practically non-existence.

Again, the theist's misunderstanding of the burden of proof and the foundations of critical thought are not good reasons for giving them a free pass.

Quote:
Note that this is NOT a defense of Christian ideas or the supernatural.

Always so noted with you.

Quote:
It is ONLY an observation on the profound differences between atheism and Christianity.

But, you fail to take the last step and just say that the theist view is inherently flawed. This is provable by at least three or four separate paths, most notably reductio ad absurdium.

Until it can be demonstrated that there is an alternative to logic, logic stands as the only way humans think. This IS axiomatic, because logic is the description and codification of human thought. To say we think without it is contradictory. To ask the question of logic's validity is to use logic.

(Remember, invalid logic is still logic, and is still part of the description and codification!)

Quote:
Unless you can find a way to get past those differences, you may as well go smack your head up against a brick wall.

I have many bruises.

Quote:
Why do Christians "not get it"? Because they BELIEVE something so alien to atheism that they CAN'T get it.

"Can't" is such a strong word. Some do. I was a Christian. Sapient was. Rook was. Kelly was. To change the belief system takes a level of intellectual honesty that is not often seen. It's much easier to believe than not to, so long as logic is not properly used or understood.

Oh... one last thing.  I don't want to get into neurology.  I know there are actions taken by humans that happen with a lower level of brain activity than "thought."  Reflexes, instinctual, and automatic responses don't concern me here.  I mean to say that when someone "thinks" about something, they are using logic, whether it is valid or invalid.  They are using either induction or deduction to move from one idea to the next.  That is logic.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Geez you two. Get a

Quote:
Geez you two. Get a room. The way you two argue the make up sex should be a thing of beauty.

LOL

What, are you wanting video or something?  You're weird.

I so seldom get completely lied about, I have to bow up a bit when it happens.  I'm actually not mad.  It hurts me when someone says something false about me because I work so hard to be clearly understood and to always speak honestly.  There are  few times when it's as clear cut as this, so there are very few times when I'll officially get my panties in a wad.

Books about atheism

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:   ...I

Hambydammit wrote:

...I work so hard to be clearly understood and to always speak honestly.  T...

Lies! Atheists can't tell the truth!  

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Lies! Atheists can't

Quote:

But...

you're an atheist...

so this must be a lie...

except that would mean that atheists tell the truth...

but then this would be a lie...

owwwwww....

my hair hurts.

Books about atheism

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:   Are

Hambydammit wrote:

Are we talking about what's real, or what's perceived to be real?

What is perceived.

Quote:

Quote:
To a Christian, the existence of the supernatural is axiomatic.

I don't see how their misunderstanding of the definition of "axiom" gives them a free pass.

No free pass given. I am pointing out the nature of that misunderstanding.

Quote:

Quote:
If logic and science cannot find the supernatural it is because that logic and science are flawed. The atheist considers the fact that logic and science cannot find the supernatural as evidence that the supernatural does not exist.

No. An atheist takes the fact that logic and science cannot define the supernatural for exactly what it is. A total lack of evidence. Since there is no other evidence other than logic or science which can be quantified, the atheist reverts to the default position -- lack of belief in the claim.

This is a distinction of theological non-cognitivism, if I understand it correctly. It a distinction not held by all atheists and most assuredly lost on most Christians.

Quote:

Quote:
These are such fundamentally different starting points for constucting ones fewof reality that it is no wonder real communication between atheists and Christians is practically non-existence.

Again, the theist's misunderstanding of the burden of proof and the foundations of critical thought are not good reasons for giving them a free pass.

Again, no free pass given. I am only pointing out the magnitude of the differences.

Quote:

Quote:
It is ONLY an observation on the profound differences between atheism and Christianity.

But, you fail to take the last step and just say that the theist view is inherently flawed. This is provable by at least three or four separate paths, most notably reductio ad absurdium.

Until it can be demonstrated that there is an alternative to logic, logic stands as the only way humans think. This IS axiomatic, because logic is the description and codification of human thought. To say we think without it is contradictory. To ask the question of logic's validity is to use logic.

(Remember, invalid logic is still logic, and is still part of the description and codification!)

I personally fail to take the last step? I have no use for supernatural constructs. I'm not sure what you mean.

Quote:

Quote:
Why do Christians "not get it"? Because they BELIEVE something so alien to atheism that they CAN'T get it.

"Can't" is such a strong word. Some do. I was a Christian. Sapient was. Rook was. Kelly was. To change the belief system takes a level of intellectual honesty that is not often seen. It's much easier to believe than not to, so long as logic is not properly used or understood.

Can't may be a bit strong. But I think ther are those like yourself that never stop asking questions. Then there are those that never really ask any. It is the second group that can't.

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

But...

you're an atheist...

so this must be a lie...

except that would mean that atheists tell the truth...

but then this would be a lie...

owwwwww....

my hair hurts.

hehe gotta love the Liar's paradox Smiling 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: What is

Quote:
What is perceived.

Ok, then a connection needs to be made.  As I pointed out, individual perception of morality only gains value when other people become involved.

Quote:
No free pass given. I am pointing out the nature of that misunderstanding.

Fair to say.

Quote:
This is a distinction of theological non-cognitivism, if I understand it correctly. It a distinction not held by all atheists and most assuredly lost on most Christians.

Not exactly.

I used the word "atheist" a little too broadly.  True, all atheists are not theological non-cognitivists.  However, the most logically sound defense of atheism is essentially non-cognitivist.  If a thing has no meaning, talking about it is meaningless.  Atheism goes one step farther and says that the logical belief is that god does not exist.  If I understand the common t.n.c. position correctly, it does not necessarily lead to atheism.  In fact, there are theologians who blithely prattle on about the existence of god despite the fact that they admit freely that any discussion of god is meaningless.

My primary meaning originally was essentially this: The default position for the brain is "off."  In other words, without evidence for something, we don't believe it.  Therefore, atheists are correct in assuming god's non-existence until and unless someone provides proof.  Faith defies logic.  Logic is the definition of the way we think.  Therefore, anything that employs faith can be tossed aside without a second thought.

Quote:
I personally fail to take the last step?

In this case, yes.  Maybe I missed it?  Did you ever say that the supernatural constructs necessary for faith are invalid in this thread?

I know you believe it personally. I was just pointing out that your posts seem to be neutral regarding the objective quality of the two approaches.  I see now that you weren't trying to make a value judgment.  I forget that sometimes you preach to the choir.

Quote:
Can't may be a bit strong. But I think ther are those like yourself that never stop asking questions. Then there are those that never really ask any. It is the second group that can't.

I still prefer "don't" or "won't" to "can't."

You've read all those studies on teaching methods, haven't you?  Where teachers who speak as if their students already know things, or can easily grasp them have better students than those who speak as if things are terribly difficult, or unlikely to be understood.

Books about atheism

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: In this

Hambydammit wrote:

In this case, yes. Maybe I missed it? Did you ever say that the supernatural constructs necessary for faith are invalid in this thread?

I know you believe it personally. I was just pointing out that your posts seem to be neutral regarding the objective quality of the two approaches. I see now that you weren't trying to make a value judgment. I forget that sometimes you preach to the choir.

Never explicity said it. I forget to make that clear sometimes. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Quote: What is

Quote:
Quote:
What is perceived.

Ok, then a connection needs to be made.  As I pointed out, individual perception of morality only gains value when other people become involved.

Wave, what do you think of this?

Books about atheism

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
What is perceived.

Ok, then a connection needs to be made. As I pointed out, individual perception of morality only gains value when other people become involved.

Wave, what do you think of this?

I think you are making a valid observation but I'm not entirely clear on your meaning. Are you saying that some action deemed moral by an individual only becomes moral in the context of a group's validation of that action? 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I think you are

Quote:
I think you are making a valid observation but I'm not entirely clear on your meaning. Are you saying that some action deemed moral by an individual only becomes moral in the context of a group's validation of that action?

Essentially.  In a hypothetical world with only one human, every action that human did would be morally neutral, regardless of what he believed.   While he might harbor beliefs about the inherent goodness or badness of his individual actions, his beliefs would hold no external validity.

Of course, in this hypothetical world, the human would not have invented the idea of morality on his own.  He would have invented practicality and utilitarianism.  If this thing keeps me alive and comfortable, it is good.  Doing things that keep me alive is good.

We could call this morality, but it's not.

The extension of this mental exercise is the realization that since morality cannot exist in a vacuum, there is no "ultimate morality."  It's kind of a back door to the statement that theism must steal from naturalism.

Books about atheism

Tankalish
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Very interesting statement

Very interesting statement Hamby, I thinks it's definitely true except for the bit about theism stealing from naturalism and previously from secularity. To claim the "secular" realm, meaning some area completely devoid of the transcendental, existed before theism is quite a stretch, especially considering the fact that we can point to it's emergence with theologians like Scotus and to a degree Aquinas. Interesting that your "sacred" (if I may) secular, emerged from the theistic, and specifically Christian, tradition.

And we, meaning Christians, escape your paradigm because we believe in an analogical understanding of creation. While it is true that in the void nothing can be known because everything is completely other, and so you're right that no universal morality could exist, this isn't the case when the claim that God inhabits all things is brought forward. Instead things can be percieved as they truly are in so far as we recognize Go in them.

As for the initial challenge, I think you need to read some more radical Christianity. Hauerwas for one rejects the purpose of the Church to "make the world a better place", but instead affirms it as a body centered around the worship and witnessing to Christ.  I have a book on the evolution of morals, I'll be reading it in the next few weeks, but initially I have to think that the claim that death is irrelevent and broken, that procreation within the Church isn't necessary, these things don't seem to be indicative of evolution, but instead revelation.

Apotheon
Theist
Apotheon's picture
User is offlineOffline
 One moral action a theist

One moral action a theist would do that an atheist wont: pray for a sick or dying person.

Atheists can be moral. No one denies that. The only problem is that when an atheist excerizes morality (I have yet to see a moral atheist), they are leaving the atheist worldview and stepping into the Christian worldview. Atheists can count, but they can't ACCOUNT for morality.

As for Hitchens, he's just a Christ hating Jew and probably a secret Freemason. I don't give a damn what he thinks. He's nothing.

The more I study nature, the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator -- Louis Pasteur

Apotheon
Theist
Apotheon's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Atheists have the

Atheists have the potential to be moral because they are made in God's image, though they deny this. The only morality anyone has at all, comes from God. Left on his own, man is rotten to the core.

The more I study nature, the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator -- Louis Pasteur

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Apotheon wrote: Atheists

Apotheon wrote:
Atheists have the potential to be moral because they are made in God's image, though they deny this. The only morality anyone has at all, comes from God. Left on his own, man is rotten to the core.

Can you prove this? I highly doubt it. To say humans are rotten at birth has no basis in any kind of evidence we have.  Yes there are rotton people, but its a matter of both their genes and their environment.  

I dispise any belief system that says that humans are rotten to the core.  This is a horrible way to look at humanity, and my only conclusion i can think of is that they people who believe this are either a) projecting or b) its just a purely learned thign. This thinking leadswould typically, imo, lead to a state of low-self esteem, very depressed mood.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: To claim the

Quote:
To claim the "secular" realm, meaning some area completely devoid of the transcendental, existed before theism is quite a stretch,

You're getting the chicken before the egg. Would you care to 1) define "the transcendental" and 2) demonstrate it empirically?

If you review your critical thinking skills, you'll find that you have introduced a concept. The burden is on you to prove the concept, otherwise, the presumption is that your concept is false.

Quote:
especially considering the fact that we can point to it's emergence with theologians like Scotus and to a degree Aquinas.

So, you mean to say that there was no morality before Aquinas and Scotus? Please prove this, because it's hard for me not to consider it the most stupid thing I've heard today.

Quote:
And we, meaning Christians, escape your paradigm because we believe in an analogical understanding of creation.

Escaping the boundaries of reality, more like.

This has nothing to do with anything. Could we stay on topic? Until you've proved your analogical understanding has validity, you're just moving your fingers, and symbols are forming on the screen.

Quote:
While it is true that in the void nothing can be known because everything is completely other, and so you're right that no universal morality could exist, this isn't the case when the claim that God inhabits all things is brought forward. Instead things can be percieved as they truly are in so far as we recognize Go in them.

So, I'm right, except not, because you're right, because...

um...

Oh, yeah. you haven't demonstrated that anything you believe is valid. You've just made claims with no evidence. Therefore you're correct because you believe it. Thanks for setting me straight.

Quote:
As for the initial challenge, I think you need to read some more radical Christianity.

As for your assumption of my ignorance, you need to stop assuming you're the only person here who knows about your religion.

Quote:
Hauerwas for one rejects the purpose of the Church to "make the world a better place", but instead affirms it as a body centered around the worship and witnessing to Christ. I have a book on the evolution of morals, I'll be reading it in the next few weeks, but initially I have to think that the claim that death is irrelevent and broken, that procreation within the Church isn't necessary, these things don't seem to be indicative of evolution, but instead revelation.

Please, come back and do a book report. I'd enjoy showing you that your authors do exactly the same things that you do. They beg the question at every turn. They ignore the burden of proof. They make baseless assertions. They ignore science.

Just like you.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Atheists have the

Quote:

Prove this please.

Books about atheism

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Apotheon wrote: One moral

Apotheon wrote:

One moral action a theist would do that an atheist wont: pray for a sick or dying person.

Atheists can be moral. No one denies that. The only problem is that when an atheist excerizes morality (I have yet to see a moral atheist), they are leaving the atheist worldview and stepping into the Christian worldview. Atheists can count, but they can't ACCOUNT for morality.

As for Hitchens, he's just a Christ hating Jew and probably a secret Freemason. I don't give a damn what he thinks. He's nothing.

1. Prayer - doing nothing while claiming you're helping.

2. As the bible was written by men and cobbled together from societies that were old when the Hebrews were young, that argument tends to go away.

3. I don't think you give a damn what anyone besides yourself or your Christian indoctrinators think. whatever 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: As for Hitchens,

Quote:

Have you checked your racist ego lately?  It seems to be causing you some issues with your asshole.

Books about atheism

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Apotheon wrote:   As for

Apotheon wrote:

Does this mean you are a Jew hating christian? Christ would be so pleased. 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Apotheon wrote: One moral

Apotheon wrote:

That is not an action that is inaction.   

Eight Foot Manchild
Eight Foot Manchild's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:Hitchens has

jmm wrote:

The one, tiny, insignificant leeeeeeetle minute difference being that the stuff Hitchens says is true.

el.kundo
User is offlineOffline
so, Apotheon, your doing

so, Apotheon, your doing exactly what I criticized in my initial post. you claim that the only basis for morality is christianity:

Quote:
 Atheists can be moral. No one denies that. The only problem is that when an atheist excerizes morality (I have yet to see a moral atheist), they are leaving the atheist worldview and stepping into the Christian worldview. Atheists can count, but they can't ACCOUNT for morality.

That's just so arrogant. Just because you think you couldn't be moral or even keep yourself from murdering and stealing without being observed by a supernatural authority you project this on everybody else. I don't have to switch off reason, borrow your fairy tale belief for a minute and switch reason back on to act moraly.

And one question: following your statement, what does an atheist in the islamic world do when acting maroly? believing in Allah for a second? or do greeks tend to flirt with the ideaof reinstalling Zeus when they help the poor? see what I mean?

By the way: thanks everyone in this thread for your posts and discussion! 

"And the only people I fear are those who never have doubts."
Billy Joel, 1993

And God spoke: You can stand under my umberella -ella -ella -eh -eh -eh ...