Why is there a university subject 'Theology'?

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Why is there a university subject 'Theology'?

I can understand a degree in the history of religion, a history of how the bible developed, a degree in the study of religious literature but how on earth can there be a degree in 'what a supernatural being means'

It makes about as much sense as a degree in 'The construction techniques and project management of the death star, successes and failure'

This is probably more aimed at UK/European members where public money goes to Universities to study this crap

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Because there is a demand

Because there is a demand for such a degree.

Did you not pay attention in Business 101? 

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
My University does most of

My University does most of the usual academic subjects as well as other ones but thankfully it doesn't do Theology. I guess the reason some do it is tradition, the older Universities generally do theology. Oxford for example has a lot of its roots in Medieval Christianity. Lancaster, where I study dates back only to the 1960s. It does not have any religious institution attached to it besides a multi-faith Chaplaincy Centre. There is a Religious Studies dept which from what I know from people who take RS is based on learning about religion (and also atheism) and not how to be religious.  

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
It ought to be part of

It ought to be part of "Mythology."

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Generally, Theology covers

Generally, Theology covers a wide range of subject matters.  For example, the university where I received my SJD had courses on the history of religion, the nature of philosophy and how it effects theological thought, pagan mythology, and a wide variety of other topics. 

Would you feel better if they said religious studies instead of theology?  If it would, then quit being such a hippie.  I believe this thread to be crafted for the purpose of a Star Wars reference.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Religious studies is

Religious studies is definitely a sensible as religion itself is a fact, it exists it greatly effects the world (mainly for the worse but not totally). I would consider this to be a valuable subject in fact to study

Theology to me is the study of god itself and a just a joke subject

As for the reference to business demand I did mention I was thinking in terms of Europe where most universities are state funded

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fine. Don't take the

Fine. Don't take the course. 

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote: As for the

mrjonno wrote:

As for the reference to business demand I did mention I was thinking in terms of Europe where most universities are state funded

The state is still subject to the demands of the public. If we want more theologists, then the state will either provide training and education in such a field, or we will elect a new state to do so. So I guess I was wrong; it would have been during Poli-Sci 101 that you weren't paying attention.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06

LosingStreak06 wrote:

Another theist who is at home with logic! Good answer.  

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
We theists need to validate

We theists need to validate ourselves somehow.  Regular old dignity went out the window long ago, so we just fill the empty void with college degrees.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Empty voids, as opposed to

Empty voids, as opposed to all of those voids that are full of things. 

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote: Empty voids, as

jmm wrote:

Empty voids, as opposed to all of those voids that are full of things.

heheheh... well, grant yourself poetic license, saying it is 'empty' is akin to giving an emotional reaction to the void, and thus not necessarily a redunancy.... 

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst

todangst wrote:
LosingStreak06 wrote:

Another theist who is at home with logic! Good answer.

At home with logic? I think not. Logic lives in an apartment downtown, and I sometimes help her out a bit with the rent in exchange for the privelege of occasionally showing up for sex. A nefarious affair for certain, but I never hear her complain. Mostly because the first thing I say when I waltz through the door is "Baby, don't talk." (Body language!)

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Because, at the end of the

Because, at the end of the day, when the phycisist, or the historian, or the cosmologist presses the question as far as he possibly can, after he has pushed his discipline to the point where all he has left is givens, the question "why" still exists.  His discipline is unable to answer it.

Yet we are entitled to ask that question.  Asking why a given exists is just as valid as asking "if a photon can be in two places at the same time, why can't I?  It is aas valid a question as "Why did the king go to war in this instance?" It is then that many of us turn to philosophy and theology to answer questions which have no satisfactory answers from the sciences.

"With its enduring appeal to the search for truth, philosophy has the great responsibility of forming thought and culture; and now it must strive resolutely to recover its original vocation." Pope John Paul II

iranu
User is offlineOffline
I don't think that theology

I don't think that theology is constrained to the meaning of a god or gods.  Infact I would look upon it as a study of religion and that opens up a whole number of subjects of study upon which one can formulate.

ofgreatherheights
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I'm  not sure, but I think

I'm  not sure, but I think it depends on the school that you go to. if you're studying in a privately owned school, which is most likely ran by priests and ministers, then it is very likely that you will have a theology subject.

Most of the times, it's just basic theology, and basic facts about God. So if for example you belong to another religion you can inform your professors and maybe they can give you an alternative assignment.

http://www.jerusalemexport.com is a great resource for handcrafted nativity and manger sets, and rosaries. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
How can there be "facts"

How can there be "facts" about something that doesn't exist?

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
ofgreatherheights

ofgreatherheights wrote:

http://www.jerusalemexport.com is a great resource for handcrafted nativity and manger sets, and rosaries. 

What does this link have to do with the topic at hand?  Please don't post links that don't pertain to the subject.  Thank you.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: How can

MattShizzle wrote:
How can there be "facts" about something that doesn't exist?

Very easily. The TIE Fighter has a maximum velocity of 100 MGLT. The TIE Interceptor, on the other hand, can reach much faster speeds (138 MGLTwith weapon systems powered into engines), and also has more carrying capacity (75 kg vs 65 kg).

Cernunnos
Cernunnos's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would expect one of the

I would expect one of the best ways to reduce the convictions of any overtly immoderate devotee is to allow them to study theology.

LosingStreak you made me |o| ... need to lose some weight though, 65kg sheesh!

I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind.