Christians, please answer this simple question

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christians, please answer this simple question

What has Christianity contributed to the world, that is unique to Christianity, would have been impossible without Christianity, and has made the world a better place?

(Note: I'm asking about things on earth.  Getting to go to heaven doesn't happen in this world.)

I'm probably not going to respond.  I'll leave that to our members.  I'm really just interested in collecting a list of answers.

Thanks.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Actually what most

Actually what most Christians believe about the Jesus character in the BuyBull is far from what's actually there:

http://www.ffrf.org/nontracts/jesus.php

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christos wrote: Actually I

Christos wrote:

Actually I am out there right now. I'm probably going to Africa after college.  

Oh Christos, thank you for the...the... elevation of my spirits.  I love the way that young people believe that they will change the "human world" after it has been the same from the birth of civilization.  

You must do as your ethic demands.  I have gone to the third world and seen what it looks like.  I have been on hunting trips in South Africa/Lesotho and gone to the gem/human bazaars of Mauritania.  I have seen the filth of the Ganges and smelled the corpses there.  You will be as the gnat pissing into the sea.  Will you also shout, "Every little bit helps"?

I know this is off topic, but the moral sanctimony of the comment was absolutely delicious, almost divine.  I will feast on it for days.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:
Will you also shout, "Every little bit helps"?

Yes.

"Those who are rationale try to fit themselves into their environment. Those who are irrationale try to fit their environments to themselves. Therefore, all change comes from the irrationale."

..I don't know what to say about the easy dismissal for the claim "every little bit helps."

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote: What I

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

What I was meaning to point out was that when you said this:

Quote:
Certainly not Christian woman, or women in general. Also, I don't see much equality for those who aren't Christians, or whose lifestyles go against what is taught in the bible.

I was felt that you were making the same sort of generalization for which you accused an earlier post of-- of being "condescending."

Granted.. I'm assuming you felt it was "condescending" because he was generalizing all "non-religious" people into one group with a negative characteristic.

In the same way.. I felt your comment may be construed as "condescending" because it generalizes all Christians into one group with a negative characteristic (that they can't treat or relate to woman (or people with different beliefs than them) as equals).

It may be true for some.. certainly not all.. even if one could establish that it is most.

Fair enough.  However, what I was actually thinking about when I made this comment was the Bible/Christian dogma and not actual Christians in general.  After all, it was men who wrote the bible and women certainly play a secondary role. I should have made that clarification.

As a general rule, I try not to make generalizations about groups of people, since I consider everyone to be an idividual.  However, I'm sure I do my fair share of generalizing.   

I also don't think my comment was condescending in the least. Most (not all) religious dogma does not look favorably upon those who live outside of it.  

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote: I don't

RhadTheGizmo wrote:
I don't know what to say about the easy dismissal for the claim "every little bit helps."

It speaks for itself, lad.  Every little bit does not mean a damn thing.  Mother Theresa worked for the suffering of the poor, and what do we have from her pissing in the sea?  More children that will starve!  Well, Thanks be unto God that she was there to assure their existence!

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:
It speaks for itself, lad. Every little bit does not mean a damn thing. Mother Theresa worked for the suffering of the poor, and what do we have from her pissing in the sea? More children that will starve! Well, Thanks be unto God that she was there to assure their existence!

Who is Mother Theresa? Just a person. If she failed in affecting great change, so be it.

Those who do great things do not always set out to do great things even as those who do small things don't always set out to do small things.

That's why.. its a good thing to have a philosphy of mere "to help." Whether small or large. No way to know what affect your "little thing" will have in the course of human history..

The problem with this statement:

Quote:
Every little bit does not mean a damn thing.

Is that it assumes the conclusion before the conclusion has been set. It begs the question.

If it is "little," then, by definition, it would seem to be of "small significance"-- yet, how can you conclude this before the action is done? More specifically, how can use it as some generally applicable philosphy?

If you meant to be merely tautological.. so be it.. but I took exception if, by chance, you did not mean to be.

And, I feel as if you did not mean to be.. because it SEEMED that you were meaning to belittle the significance of someone's help , or attempt to help, by suggesting it was "little."

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Fair enough. 

Quote:

Fair enough.  However, what I was actually thinking about when I made this comment was the Bible/Christian dogma and not actual Christians in general.  After all, it was men who wrote the bible and women certainly play a secondary role. I should have made that clarification.

As a general rule, I try not to make generalizations about groups of people, since I consider everyone to be an idividual.  However, I'm sure I do my fair share of generalizing.   

I also don't think my comment was condescending in the least. Most (not all) religious dogma does not look favorably upon those who live outside of it. 

Fair enough.   

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
No, I despise tautologies.

No, I despise tautologies. Time will prove a better pedagogue than I.  If you put forth anyone who has attempted to serve man, you will find their efforts lacking on the micro and macro levels.  Your little bit is of no value.  The expanse of humanity is in its natural, wretched state.  Neither you nor young Christos can stop that. 

Feel free to take exception.  I have seen too much of this pitiable, wonderous world to give much concern over the consternation of one man.

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:
Feel free to take exception. I have seen too much of this pitiable, wonderous world to give much concern over the consternation of one man.

I do feel free to take exception. That is why I did. Smiling

Quote:
If you put forth anyone who has attempted to serve man, you will find their efforts lacking on the micro and macro levels.

Sounds very Ecclesiastes-ical.

def. relating to the book of ecclesiastes, not a mispelling of ecclesiastical.Sticking out tongue

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Preservation,

Preservation, reconstruction and safeguarding of literature and science texts by western monks following the fall of the Empire.

"With its enduring appeal to the search for truth, philosophy has the great responsibility of forming thought and culture; and now it must strive resolutely to recover its original vocation." Pope John Paul II

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Patrician wrote: As

The Patrician wrote:

As for, Christianity, it is doubtful that we woud have the artistic, scientific and cultural heritage that we have without the church.

I would like to chime in on one little point here.

I cant speak for science and culture. But as far as art goes, I'm not sure christianity really helped the arts along. Most post-roman western art was  only church authorized, meaning you had to get a patron usually through the church to do church sponsored art work. Creativity and new techniques really weren't persued (with some exception, the most notably being development of perspective and chiaroscuro.)

By the 16th and 17th century, most art considered real art was done by academy artists following a rigid set of rules. It wasn't until you get impressionism in the 18th and 19th centuries that that breaks down.

There were probably great artistic genuises that we've never heard of because they didn't have the church patrons that Michaelangelo and the like had. 

Christos
Theist
Christos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: By the way,

Nero wrote:

By the way, part of this freedom allows me to completely ignore the problems of starving Ghana babies.  In fact, this freedom allows me to take pleasure in their difficulties while i dig in to a four course meal.  (I understand that society frowns on this, but society hates the freedom of the individual.)

I will not pay for their survival but will happily trade their government ways to sterilize their population in exchange for their natural resources.  That is the way the world actually goes round.  I prefer to swallow that bitter pill with the champagne of pleasure than the seawater of righteousness.

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." (CS Lewis)

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading." (CS Lewis)

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jarem Asyder wrote: There

Jarem Asyder wrote:

There were probably great artistic genuises that we've never heard of because they didn't have the church patrons that Michaelangelo and the like had.

And today there are likely artists of great genius living anonymously because they are not commercially viable and are unable to navigate te complexities of the contemporary art world.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why is a question like this

Why is a question like this so polemic? Could it be the christians cannot come up with a worthy answer? Why is anyone and everyone with a theist badge (deist, pantheist...etc.) offended when the request was for one thing UNIQUE that came from CHRISTIANITY? 

It seems like an honest question by Hamby and everyone but the christians seem to be answering. If christianity is truly unique, as is claimed in many churches every Sunday, the uniqueness should be evident to the believers.

Let's get this thread back on the original topic, I want to hear some answers to the OP regarding CHRISTIANITY!! 

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: Jarem

wavefreak wrote:
Jarem Asyder wrote:

And today there are likely artists of great genius living anonymously because they are not commercially viable and are unable to navigate te complexities of the contemporary art world.

True enough, but today I dont have to go to my local church to get a grant for an art project. (Which is probably a good thing, as I dont think they'd appreciate my work much.)
And there are a lot of oppurtunities available for non commercial artists  or less famous artists. Small galleries are always looking for unknowns and small time artists.
I could go more in depth, but I dont want to derail the topic. My original idea still stands that art is more varied without church patronage. 

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Why is a question

Quote:

Why is a question like this so polemic? Could it be the christians cannot come up with a worthy answer? Why is anyone and everyone with a theist badge (deist, pantheist...etc.) offended when the request was for one thing UNIQUE that came from CHRISTIANITY? 

It seems like an honest question by Hamby and everyone but the christians seem to be answering. If christianity is truly unique, as is claimed in many churches every Sunday, the uniqueness should be evident to the believers.

Let's get this thread back on the original topic, I want to hear some answers to the OP regarding CHRISTIANITY!!

I still contend the question is illy constructed. 

Until someone gives me a reason why this is not a valid argument, I will continue to state that.

The "unique" contribution that Christianity gives is a philosophy upon which some can base "peace" in one's lifetime, "purpose" in one's acts, and "principal" one's relationships.

I just wanted to go with the three p's. Smiling 

I quote myself.. again:

Quote:
I got into this argument before.. perhaps one of the firsts threads I started.  The problem is one of conflation. Smiling

If we mean "unique," as in, a general contribution which nothing else could have accomplished:

Then.. we should have the same response of "Huh?" to positing whether automobiles should stay around.

1.) Automobiles contribute nothing unique. (Bikes and Horses transport).

2.) Automobiles enable great harm. (by enable do we mean justify? or allow? eitherway.. it would still apply.  Whether one justifies X amount of deaths because of the "importance of automobiles" or one states that autombiles allow for X amount of deaths-- all the same to me)

3.) Therefore, we should allow automobiles to stay.

Huh? 

The other way of using unique in this sentence is to imply(that I found out after about 70 posts with this individual) a comparatively better contribution.

For instance, the fact that a car can get me to point A to point B faster than a horse can, is "unique."

If this is what we mean.. then I feel that the statement "Religion offers nothing unique" to be a lot harder position to support.

In essence what you are saying is "Religion offers nothing which is comparatively better in what it does then anything else."

To prove how difficult it would be to support, I would suggest that religion gives some "hope," "peace," or perhaps a sense of "communal responsibility."

How would you go about arguing this? I am not saying that people without religion do not have these things, or even that all people that have religion are better served by religion to get these things then they would have been without it-- but that just shows the difficulty of it.  To undercut the statement one would have to give evidence that:

1.) People can get these things without religion.

2.) All these people, irregardless of the person's attributes, would get to it faster and to the same degree without religion.

Difficult.. in my opinion.

p.s. Conflation.. Sticking out tongue I don't like the word.  Who knows even if I used it correctly.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: Why is a

BGH wrote:

Who's offended? Not me.

Hamby dissallowed "heavenly" consequences. That destroys the core of Christianity and creates a question that is really a useless excercise. Unless some Christian walks on water or some such thing, there is nothing they can do that is really unique. Server the poor? Atheists can do that. Spit in a barrel? Jump off a cliff? There is nothing unique. It is the heavenly aspects of Chritianity that define it not the actions of individuals in this world. Their actions are motivated by the heavenly. But nothing prevent the same actions via different motivations.

The question seems like asking me to explain chemistry without invoking atoms. 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote:

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

I still contend the question is illy constructed.

Until someone gives me a reason why this is not a valid argument, I will continue to state that.

This seems like a dodge, maybe I am misinterpreting.

RhadTheGizmo wrote:
The "unique" contribution that Christianity gives is a philosophy upon which some can base "peace" in one's lifetime, "purpose" in one's acts, and "principal" one's relationships.

This is not unique in any way to christianity. All of these things can be found elsewhere, and sometimes more so.

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

If we mean "unique," as in, a general contribution which nothing else could have accomplished:

I think that is general sense of the question, something earthly that could not be accomplished or achieved in any other manner. Something christianity claims to have solely to itself and it's believers.

RhadTheGizmo wrote:
Then.. we should have the same response of "Huh?" to positing whether automobiles should stay around.

I think you are conflating Hamby's question with a conclusion he has not stated he is trying to achieve. All he is doing now is asking a question, you are making an argument against a conclusion he has not stated.

RhadTheGizmo wrote:
For instance, the fact that a car can get me to point A to point B faster than a horse can, is "unique."

I think he is using the definition:

u·nique (y-nk)adj.

1. Being the only one of its kind: the unique existing example of Donne's handwriting.2. Without an equal or equivalent; unparalleled.  I am not going to get into ontology on this. Take the definition as the OP intended it, something christianity SOLELY offers. He is asking a question of CHRISTIANITY solely and not of all religion, the rest of your argument referred to 'religion' and I am not going to address that.  He asked a question to which not one christian has even responded to yet, rather we are arguing about a conclusion he has not made and whether 'unique' can mean 'faster'.  Just answer the OP, name one thing worldly that CHRISTIANITY has offered it's followers that is unique and could not be achieved in another manner.  Your three P's are not valid, they are not unique.

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:

I think he is using the definition:

u·nique (y-nk)adj.

1. Being the only one of its kind: the unique existing example of Donne's handwriting.2. Without an equal or equivalent; unparalleled.I am not going to get into ontology on this. Take the definition as the OP intended it, something christianity SOLELY offers. He is asking a question of CHRISTIANITY solely and not of all religion, the rest of your argument referred to 'religion' and I am not going to address that.He asked a question to which not one christian has even responded to yet, rather we are arguing about a conclusion he has not made and whether 'unique' can mean 'faster'.Just answer the OP, name one thing worldly that CHRISTIANITY has offered it's followers that is unique and could not be achieved in another manner.Your three P's are not valid, they are not unique.
If what you wrote above is what Hammy meant.. I addressed that in my last post aswell (Using Hammy's own rheotoric style):
Quote:

2.) Automobiles enable great harm. (by enable do we mean justify? or allow? eitherway.. it would still apply. Whether one justifies X amount of deaths because of the "importance of automobiles" or one states that autombiles allow for X amount of deaths-- all the same to me)

Huh?

So I still stick with my original position.

If we are using the definition you gave.. then what does it prove or establish? We still keep lots of things around which do not give "unique" benefits.. more so.. we find them "beneficial."

If we use the other definition.. then it becomes to difficult to prove anything (approx.). 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote: If we

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

2.) Automobiles enable great harm. (by enable do we mean justify? or allow? eitherway.. it would still apply. Whether one justifies X amount of deaths because of the "importance of automobiles" or one states that autombiles allow for X amount of deaths-- all the same to me)

Huh?

You are conflating the question with a conclusion he has not stated. You are creating your own conclusion, all he asked was your first point, is there anything unique. You filled in two and three yourself, he did not state an argument as such. You think you know where he is going with the question and have felt the need to rebut a statement he has not made. 

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:
You think you know where he is going with the question and have felt the need to rebut a statement he has not made.

See

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/sapient/atheist_vs_theist/9226

Quote:

When I have more time, I'll try to find a link to a post I made about what religion actually contributes.

Essentially, I've yet to see anyone suggest anything that religion does that couldn't be accomplished without religion.

1) Religion contributes nothing unique.

2) Religion enables those who would do harm.

3) Therefore, we should allow religion to stay.

Huh?

Something doesn't follow.

You're right. He didn't make the statement in this thread.. he made it in another thread contemporaneous to this one. I'm assuming that when said "link to a post" he was meaning this thread.

Hey.. I could be wrong. However. Sticking out tongue

If this is not the conclusion he is trying to make then I have no problems conceeding that objectively speaking Christianity, religion for that matter, has not contributed anything unique to society especially if we're considering "unique" in the sense that it could not have been hypothetically contributed through some other means.

Even as cars, airplanes, proton laser theorapy, democracy, republics, concrete, asphalt........(mumbles off)

Vessel
Vessel's picture
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo

RhadTheGizmo wrote:
Quote:

Huh?

So I still stick with my original position.

If we are using the definition you gave.. then what does it prove or establish? We still keep lots of things around which do not give "unique" benefits.. more so.. we find them "beneficial."

If we use the other definition.. then it becomes to difficult to prove anything (approx.). 

Not only are you arguing against an argument Hamby has not made, as has been pointed out, but even if he was making this argument (which I imagine he isn't as this argument is not an argument against Christianity, but is an argument against theism in general) you are arguing against a strawman of the position one who was actually making this argument normally takes. 

I don't think people normally making this argument are arguing for what should be "allowed". The argument merely points to why many think it a worthwhile pursuit to engage in discussions with the intent of employing reasoned argumentation to eradicate dangerous theistic beliefs. If I thought there was an alternative for an automobile that could provide one with what they needed, say getting to work twenty miles from their home each day, and did so in a manner that removed the dangerous nature of driving an automobile I would certainly attempt to discourage the use of automobiles. I would likely do so by pointing out that the automobile was offering no unique benefit that could possibly be worth the danger inherent in its use. If I could even further show that there was no evidence that the person even had a job that they actually needed to get to, well, driving that damn dangerous car is starting to look awfully silly.

“Philosophers have argued for centuries about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but materialists have always known it depends on whether they are jitterbugging or dancing cheek to cheek" -- Tom Robbins

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:
If I thought there was an alternative for an automobile that could provide one with what they needed, say getting to work twenty miles from their home each day, and did so in a manner that removed the dangerous nature of driving an automobile I would certainly attempt to discourage the use of automobiles. I would likely do so by pointing out that the automobile was offering no unique benefit that could possibly be worth the danger inherent in its use. If I could even further show that there was no evidence that the person even had a job that they actually needed to get to, well, driving that damn dangerous car is starting to look awfully silly.

Biking 20 miles to work wouldn't be so bad if everyone did it.. and, it would have the added benefit of adding in peoples health. Smiling

As for.. arguing something Hammy never stated. Sticking out tongue My inference was based off objective facts.. I still believe that what I have stated accurately demonstrates what Hammy was suggesting. As I showed in the post before your last one.

But I conceeded points.

If you want added reason for the position I was/am taking.  Here are Hammy's own words, in this thread, in response to the very post you guys are now responding to:

Quote:

Close.

I'm saying that Christianity and Islam specifically have brought tons of bad things to the world.  Specifically in the name of, and in accordance with the understanding of what the religion condoned and/or demanded.  Additionally, neither has contributed anything of positive value that could not have been done equally well or better without the religious dogma attached to it.

Quote:

Well, Rhad, if that's all it has to offer, then it's offering the same things you can get anywhere else, but it's buried under a giant pile of shitty rules and scare tactics.  I say that Christianity is the one under the microscope.  I don't need to justify why Christianity isn't worth keeping.  History documents that well enough.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rhad wrote: If this is not

Rhad wrote:
If this is not the conclusion he is trying to make then I have no problems conceeding that objectively speaking Christianity, religion for that matter, has not contributed anything unique to society especially if we're considering "unique" in the sense that it could not have been hypothetically contributed through some other means.

That is not the conclusion I am trying to make.

Highly qualified answer accepted.

Can we move on?

ANY CHRISTIANS??? Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?

(Rhad, I realize that you can find other posts where I make follow up arguments that could be based on this question.  My opinion of Christianity is hardly a secret.  I really am just interested in the answer to this question, and I am not trying to trick anyone into saying yes or no so I can say, "Gotcha!"  I just want to know if any Christians actually think their religion is unique in any earthly ways.)

So far, I'm not thrilled with the turnout of Christians, but who knows...

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:
Highly qualified answer accepted.

Thanks. Smiling

Quote:
(Rhad, I realize that you can find other posts where I make follow up arguments that could be based on this question. My opinion of Christianity is hardly a secret. I really am just interested in the answer to this question, and I am not trying to trick anyone into saying yes or no so I can say, "Gotcha!" I just want to know if any Christians actually think their religion is unique in any earthly ways.)

That's fine that you want an answer-- I, however, still find the question to as "why this question is relevant?" still is an interesting one to ask.

BTW, you reformulated your question in this post. "Christianity is unique in any earthly way" is not the same as "unique contribution."

Christianity is unique because it has 1.6 billion followers.

Or.. because of it's central figure. Idea of a trinity.

As for contribution. Hmm.. a unique contribution.. nope.. still don't got one that can't be responded to with the assertion:

"X has that." or "That could've easily come about through X." or "In fact, Christianity slowed down that, it would have been much better without X."

One unique contribution of Christianity are the countless cathedrals strewn across Europe. They make for nice eye candy. Sticking out tongue

(Hammy, you're not suppose to be here anymore.  You've given up on this thread already. Be gone.  I was having fun speaking for you.) :P 

Christos
Theist
Christos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Honestly Hamby, why don't

Honestly Hamby, why don't you read a book about Christian history to find out what its contributed. Or read a book about Christian experience to see the change it can make in a person. You aren't going to get the answers you want on this forum.

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." (CS Lewis)

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading." (CS Lewis)

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Honestly Hamby, why

Quote:
Honestly Hamby, why don't you read a book about Christian history to find out what its contributed. Or read a book about Christian experience to see the change it can make in a person. You aren't going to get the answers you want on this forum.

Why don't you stop assuming things about me?  You think I don't know about Christian history?  It's impossible for you to imagine that I have studied history and come to a vastly different conclusion than you?

You think I haven't read Christian "testimony" books?

Seriously, Christos, you have now made two completely wrong, and pretty damned insulting assumptions about me.  How about you stop doing that, ok?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: BTW, you

Quote:
BTW, you reformulated your question in this post. "Christianity is unique in any earthly way" is not the same as "unique contribution."

Rhad, you're splitting hairs because you don't like my question.  I'm sorry you don't like it, but you know what I'm asking.

Quote:
Christianity is unique because it has 1.6 billion followers.

And there are 24 people in Wyoming who believe the world is flat and 24,000 below the Mason Dixon line who think the Civil War never ended.  Stop being obtuse.

Quote:
Or.. because of it's central figure. Idea of a trinity.

This is not a unique concept.  The cult of Mythras had a two in one deity.

And you know this isn't even relevant to my question.  You're deflecting.

Rhad, it's ok.  you've answered.  I accept your highly qualified answer, which was exactly suited to the question I asked.  You don't need to keep demonstrating that you don't approve of the question.  I know.  We all know.

Quote:

One unique contribution of Christianity are the countless cathedrals strewn across Europe. They make for nice eye candy. Sticking out tongue

(Hammy, you're not suppose to be here anymore.  You've given up on this thread already. Be gone.  I was having fun speaking for you.) Sticking out tongue

PFFFFFTTTTTTTHHHHHHHH!!!

Books about atheism

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:
Stop being obtuse.

But being obtuse is what I do. Sad

Heh. Sorry. Yesyes. I will leave this thread alone.  A thousand apologies.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
It seems as though my

It seems as though my comment was overlooked: 

jmm wrote:
Well, discounting all of the perceived "supernatural hogwash" of the Gospel, the first thing that comes to my mind in terms of Jesus' earthly ministry is his unique place as a socio-political revolutionary in his day and time, apart from (or perhaps even instead of) his role as a spiritual leader.

http://www.marxists.org/history/usa/parties/spusa/1914/0300-debs-jesussupreme.pdf

That's a short but sweet little essay penned by 19th-20th century American Socialist Eugene V. Debs.

Speaking from a socio-political perspective, Jesus was way ahead of his time.

Vessel
Vessel's picture
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

Quote:
If I thought there was an alternative for an automobile that could provide one with what they needed, say getting to work twenty miles from their home each day, and did so in a manner that removed the dangerous nature of driving an automobile I would certainly attempt to discourage the use of automobiles. I would likely do so by pointing out that the automobile was offering no unique benefit that could possibly be worth the danger inherent in its use. If I could even further show that there was no evidence that the person even had a job that they actually needed to get to, well, driving that damn dangerous car is starting to look awfully silly.

Biking 20 miles to work wouldn't be so bad if everyone did it.. and, it would have the added benefit of adding in peoples health. Smiling

If I thought that people biking long distances to work was a reasonable alternative to driving their cars then I would certainly attempt to persuade people to employ this means of transportation, for more reasons than because automobiles have more inherent danger. I am sure you understand why many would not find this other method of travel sufficient however, and I tend to agree with them in most situations.

“Philosophers have argued for centuries about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but materialists have always known it depends on whether they are jitterbugging or dancing cheek to cheek" -- Tom Robbins

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm, I didn't overlook your

jmm, I didn't overlook your comment.  Sorry.

I'm not really thinking of debating your point, although I don't agree with it, nor do I think it answers my question.

I asked for things that Christianity has done.  Establishing Jesus' historicity and, subsequently, the accuracy of the acts and words he allegedly did and said, are beyond the scope of this question.  I want to know what the religion specifically has contributed.  In other words, what have the teachings of Christianity made possible that could not have been possible but for the uniqueness of the Christian theology?

Books about atheism

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: jmm, I

Hambydammit wrote:

jmm, I didn't overlook your comment. Sorry.

I'm not really thinking of debating your point, although I don't agree with it, nor do I think it answers my question.

I asked for things that Christianity has done. Establishing Jesus' historicity and, subsequently, the accuracy of the acts and words he allegedly did and said, are beyond the scope of this question. I want to know what the religion specifically has contributed. In other words, what have the teachings of Christianity made possible that could not have been possible but for the uniqueness of the Christian theology?

I'm not looking into starting a "historicity of Jesus" debate, as an entire thread already exists for those types of discussions.  Whether or not Jesus actually existed, nor whether or not the original manuscripts of the gospels are accurate has nothing to do with the fact that the gospels have been around for ~1900 years in some form or fashion, so therefore the "alleged" teachings of Christ had an impact on the world a long, long time ago whether he actually existed or not, or whether the texts were corrupt or not.  If you for whatever reason do not consider the gospels to be the cornerstone of Christianity as well as Christian theology, then I don't know what else to say to you.  

If you're just going to tweak the question when a Christian gives you a good answer when you weren't expecting one, then what's the point?  

Just to get things straight, now the question is:  "What has Christian theology uniquely contributed to the world?"  I want to know if this is the question now before I waste my time on another response.  

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Original

Original Question:

Quote:

What has Christianity contributed to the world, that is unique to Christianity, would have been impossible without Christianity, and has made the world a better place?

(Note: I'm asking about things on earth.  Getting to go to heaven doesn't happen in this world.)

I'm probably not going to respond.  I'll leave that to our members.  I'm really just interested in collecting a list of answers.

Thanks.

Christianity didn't exist until after Paul.  Paul lived after Jesus.  (assuming Jesus' historicity)  Therefore, anything Jesus did wasn't done by Christianity.  See?

I'm not changing my question.  You theists are the ones avoiding the answer and trying to find a way to answer it without addressing what I clearly mean.

If the answer is "nothing" just say "nothing."  I promise there's no "gotcha!" at the end of this.  

Books about atheism

Vessel
Vessel's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote: Hambydammit

jmm wrote:
Hambydammit wrote:

jmm, I didn't overlook your comment. Sorry.

I asked for things that Christianity has done. Establishing Jesus' historicity and, subsequently, the accuracy of the acts and words he allegedly did and said, are beyond the scope of this question. I want to know what the religion specifically has contributed. In other words, what have the teachings of Christianity made possible that could not have been possible but for the uniqueness of the Christian theology?

I'm not looking into starting a "historicity of Jesus" debate, as an entire thread already exists for those types of discussions.  Whether or not Jesus actually existed, nor whether or not the original manuscripts of the gospels are accurate has nothing to do with the fact that the gospels have been around for ~1900 years in some form or fashion, so therefore the "alleged" teachings of Christ had an impact on the world a long, long time ago whether he actually existed or not, or whether the texts were corrupt or not.  If you for whatever reason do not consider the gospels to be the cornerstone of Christianity as well as Christian theology, then I don't know what else to say to you.  

If you're just going to tweak the question when a Christian gives you a good answer when you weren't expecting one, then what's the point?  

Just to get things straight, now the question is:  "What has Christian theology uniquely contributed to the world?"  I want to know if this is the question now before I waste my time on another response.  

Yeah, I think this is where this question is going to run into problems. Just by nature of the fact that Christianity has been around for so long and that it has many followers it is going to have had effects on society. Whether those effects are good or bad, whether they are unique or not, whether they would have come about anyway, are merely extensions of already existing ideas or are completely original, it is all too subjective. I would contend that no matter if Christianity, or theism in general, has benefited mankind in the past or not, that it no longer does in any way that is worthy of accepting its inherent risk or that justifies holding to a flawed understanding of the nature of reality (as this is a risky endeavor as well) when we have the knowledge and the ability to form relevant, applicable moral understandings from secular understandings of the nature of societies and their parts. Of course, that is straying from the OP.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: what

Hambydammit wrote:

what have the teachings of Christianity made possible that could not have been possible but for the uniqueness of the Christian theology?

This makes no sense to me. How can you ask about what Christianity may or may not contribute without taking the whole package? It is the theology that defines Christianity. Without the theology you don't have Christianity. The core of Christianity is not about things in this world, but about things in the next life. Anything done by a Christian in this life, even if duplicatable by an atheist, only has meaning in the context of the afterlife. If you are not a Christian, then that meaing is void. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Yeah, I think this

Quote:
Yeah, I think this is where this question is going to run into problems. Just by nature of the fact that Christianity has been around for so long and that it has many followers it is going to have had effects on society. Whether those effects are good or bad, whether they are unique or not, whether they would have come about anyway, are merely extensions of already existing ideas or are completely original, it is all too subjective. I would contend that no matter if Christianity, or theism in general, has benefited mankind in the past or not, that it no longer does in any way that is worthy of accepting its inherent risk or that justifies holding to a flawed understanding of the nature of reality (as this is a risky endeavor as well) when we have the knowledge and the ability to form relevant, applicable moral understandings from secular understandings of the nature of societies and their parts. Of course, that is straying from the OP.

Yeah. It's way off course. Thanks, rhad!

(Yes, Rhad. I'm blaming it on you. You're convenient that way.)

I'm not trying to make a conclusion like this. I'm not interested in anyone's subjective opinion of whether or not Christianity on the whole has been good, bad, or neutral.

I'm interested in the objective facts:

Either there is something unique about Christianity's contributions, or there is not.

This is a yes or no question. Yes answers require a documented example.

It's that simple.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: This makes no sense

Quote:
This makes no sense to me. How can you ask about what Christianity may or may not contribute without taking the whole package? It is the theology that defines Christianity. Without the theology you don't have Christianity. The core of Christianity is not about things in this world, but about things in the next life. Anything done by a Christian in this life, even if duplicatable by an atheist, only has meaning in the context of the afterlife. If you are not a Christian, then that meaing is void.

WAVE!!!!

Stop it!

I promise, if you want to talk about this, we can make a whole new thread and talk about it.

I have every right to ask this question, whether you approve of it or not. It is a valid question with a real answer. Whether you think the question is relevant to any argument and/or conclusion you're reading into my question -- that's for you to ponder for the time being.

This is a very, very simple question.

Books about atheism

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

WAVE!!!!

Stop it!

I promise, if you want to talk about this, we can make a whole new thread and talk about it.

I have every right to ask this question, whether you approve of it or not. It is a valid question with a real answer. Whether you think the question is relevant to any argument and/or conclusion you're reading into my question -- that's for you to ponder for the time being.

This is a very, very simple question.

Gah!

I truly don't understand the question. I can usually form a response from a Christian perspective but I can't wrap my brain around this one. 

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Original Question:

Quote:

(Note: I'm asking about things on earth. Getting to go to heaven doesn't happen in this world.)

I'm probably not going to respond. I'll leave that to our members. I'm really just interested in collecting a list of answers.

Thanks.

Christianity didn't exist until after Paul. Paul lived after Jesus. (assuming Jesus' historicity) Therefore, anything Jesus did wasn't done by Christianity. See?

I'm not changing my question. You theists are the ones avoiding the answer and trying to find a way to answer it without addressing what I clearly mean.

If the answer is "nothing" just say "nothing." I promise there's no "gotcha!" at the end of this.

This thread has turned into dadaism.  To separate Christ from Christianity is...well...there's just no way to adequately respond to that, hamby, because it's the most absurd thing I've ever heard.  You keep tweaking and tweaking, adding caveat after caveat, then you blame us, the theists, for not being able to understand your post-modern collage of a question.

Of course Pauline Christianity has done nothing unique for the physical world.  Hasn't done a whole hell of a lot for the kingdom of God for that matter.  Have the criteria been adequately parsed down to suit you?  Is this answer adequate, or will there be another round of modifications?  Christian theology between Paul and Augustine, but only with theologians who were born on a leap year and whose middle names begin with Q, perhaps?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Of course Pauline

Quote:
Of course Pauline Christianity has done nothing unique for the physical world. Hasn't done a whole hell of a lot for the kingdom of God for that matter. Have the criteria been adequately parsed down to suit you?

If you're ok with me shortening Pauline Christianity to "Christianity." I mean, seriously... was there Christianity before Paul? Are you suggesting that all the denominations commonly accepted as "Christian" aren't based on the New Testament -- the story of Jesus, and then the story of the establishment of Christianity, by Paul, after Jesus supposedly lived?

This is such a simple question. Why is everyone making such a big deal out of it?

So, jmm. I've got you down for "nothing" as the answer to the question.

Thank you.

(I ought to have been a dentist, as many teeth as I'm having to pull.)

Books about atheism

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: (I

Hambydammit wrote:

So, Hambydammit, DDS how goes the afternoon extractions? I see you have had to re-state the question again. LOL

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: So, Hambydammit, DDS

Quote:
So, Hambydammit, DDS how goes the afternoon extractions? I see you have had to re-state the question again. LOL

Yeah, it's like... I have to define "is."

(What amazes me about this is that even after my solemn promise that there's not a hidden agenda, and that I am not planning a rebuttal based on this answer, I'm still having to defend literally every word in the question... and they knew what I meant the first time.)

Why is this question so scary?

(That's rhetorical.  Please, please, please, nobody answer that.  I'm having a hard enough time getting a few simple answers to my simple question.)

Books about atheism

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: This is

Hambydammit wrote:

This is such a simple question. Why is everyone making such a big deal out of it?

It's a simple question in the sense that Kent Hovind's challenge to prove evolution is a simple challenge. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: It's a simple

Quote:
It's a simple question in the sense that Kent Hovind's challenge to prove evolution is a simple challenge.

I'd get mad at you if this wasn't so ludicrous.

It's hard for me to be mad when i'm laughing.  I can't help it.

Books about atheism

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06 wrote: It's

LosingStreak06 wrote:

Okay..... you have presented a flawed analogy.

Kent Hovind's challenge is completely impossible according to everything we know about biology today. It is a ludicrous challenge and just plain asinine.

Hamby's question on the other hand is none of these things. Every Sunday in churches around the world christians are told they are unique and their religion is unique, therefore Hamby's question is very valid.

Hovind's Challenge = Absurd

Hamby's Challenge = Plausible 

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: LosingStreak06

BGH wrote:
LosingStreak06 wrote:

Okay..... you have presented a flawed analogy.

I disagree. Allow me to rephrase it. Hamby's challange is simple in the same sense that Hovind's is (namely, that it isn't). Hamby's challenge is worded in a very weaselly way, which I already pointed out.

Quote:

Hamby's question on the other hand is none of these things. Every Sunday in churches around the world christians are told they are unique and their religion is unique, therefore Hamby's question is very valid.

Hamby's question is the very definition of asinine. It's impossible to answer, because he has worded it as such. I'm guessing that he's perfectly aware of that. So let's examine the situation: Hamby is presenting a question, with complete knowledge that said question is impossible to answer, and demanding an answer to it, all the while playing dumb to the fact that the question cannot be answered as it is worded. How exactly is that (the aforementioned situation) different from what Hovind has done?

Quote:

Hovind's Challenge = Absurd

Hamby's Challenge = Plausible

I disagree (with the second assertion, not the first).

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
This thread is both funny

This thread is both funny and fascinating. I have no doubt that the question makes perfect sense to hamby. This is, for me at least, a classic example of the disconnect between theistic and athistic points of view. We are all smart  people but we can't find the common language to resolve what appears to be a simple question.

I say, lets have a beer, or glass of wine or whatever and enjoy the buzz. 

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Sure Sure Hammy.  Blame

Sure Sure Hammy.  Blame the Theist. Sticking out tongue

Quote:
This is, for me at least, a classic example of the disconnect between theistic and athistic points of view. We are all smart  people but we can't find the common language to resolve what appears to be a simple question.

As a good quote from a bad movie once said..

It doesn't really matter what you say.. it matters what you do, that's all that matters. Smiling 

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
Of course Pauline Christianity has done nothing unique for the physical world. Hasn't done a whole hell of a lot for the kingdom of God for that matter. Have the criteria been adequately parsed down to suit you?

If you're ok with me shortening Pauline Christianity to "Christianity." I mean, seriously... was there Christianity before Paul? Are you suggesting that all the denominations commonly accepted as "Christian" aren't based on the New Testament -- the story of Jesus, and then the story of the establishment of Christianity, by Paul, after Jesus supposedly lived?

So, jmm. I've got you down for "nothing" as the answer to the question.

Thank you.

Well at least give me some novocaine, because it HURTS.