This Christian's disappointment with Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron in Nightline debate.

Via Crucis
Theist
Via Crucis's picture
User is offlineOffline
This Christian's disappointment with Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron in Nightline debate.

I watched some of the debate between the RRS and Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron.  I love and respect their ministry immensely, but I was disappointed in Ray and Kirk for not knocking the granny toss out of the park!  I’m referring to the idea that the 1st Law of Thermodynamics (a.k.a. the Law of Conservation of Energy) somehow “proves” that the universe is eternal and therefore needs no Creator.  It does no such thing.  When one takes into account the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics (a.k.a. the Law of Entropy), this notion crumbles.  To avoid debates about my definitions of each law, I’ve provided the definitions from www.physicalgeography.net:

CHAPTER 6: Energy and Matter

(e). Laws of Thermodynamics

The field of thermodynamics studies the behavior of energy flow in natural systems. From this study, a number of physical laws have been established. The laws of thermodynamics describe some of the fundamental truths of thermodynamics observed in our Universe. Understanding these laws is important to students of Physical Geography because many of the processes studied involve the flow of energy.

First Law of ThermodynamicsThe first law of thermodynamics is often called the Law of Conservation of Energy. This law suggests that energy can be transferred from one system to another in many forms. Also, it can not be created or destroyed. Thus, the total amount of energy available in the Universe is constant. Einstein's famous equation (written below) describes the relationship between energy and matter:

E = mc2

In the equation above, energy (E) is equal to matter (m) times the square of a constant (c). Einstein suggested that energy and matter are interchangeable. His equation also suggests that the quantity of energy and matter in the Universe is fixed.

Second Law of ThermodynamicsHeat cannot be transfer from a colder to a hotter body. As a result of this fact of thermodynamics, natural processes that involve energy transfer must have one direction, and all natural processes are irreversible. This law also predicts that the entropy of an isolated system always increases with time. Entropy is the measure of the disorder or randomness of energy and matter in a system. Because of the second law of thermodynamics both energy and matter in the Universe are becoming less useful as time goes on. Perfect order in the Universe occurred the instance after the Big Bang when energy and matter and all of the forces of the Universe were unified. 

Third Law of ThermodynamicsThe third law of thermodynamics states that if all the thermal motion of molecules (kinetic energy) could be removed, a state called absolute zero would occur. Absolute zero results in a temperature of 0 Kelvins or -273.15° Celsius.

Absolute Zero = 0 Kelvins = -273.15° Celsius

The Universe will attain absolute zero when all energy and matter is randomly distributed across space. The current temperature of empty space in the Universe is about 2.7 Kelvins.

http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/6e.html

This suggests that the universe had a beginning and, therefore, is not eternal.  Here’s an illustration.  When you’re playing pool, kinetic energy is transferred from your arm, to the stick, to the cue ball, to the rack.  For a few seconds, balls scatter all over the table until finally they come to a rest.  Why don’t they scramble across the table for all eternity?  Well, with each transfer of energy, some usable, or kinetic, energy is lost until it is all gone.  No ball rolls as fast as the ball that hit it until no balls roll at all.  That’s exactly what’s happening with the universe on the atomic level. 

Notice I didn’t say that energy is destroyed.  I only pointed out that it is gradually being transferred into an unusable form.  An eternal universe would require a constant supply of usable energy.  However, according to the 2nd law, the universe is LOSING this supply and is headed toward Absolute Zero (see 3rd law), and because of the 1st law, it’s not creating anymore.  Bottom line, the cosmic gas tank is headed toward “E” with no filling station in sight.  Therefore, there had to be a point in time in which the universe began.  Nothing with an end is eternal.  Since the universe has an end, it HAD to have a beginning, and since it had a beginning, it had to have a beginner. 

I wish Ray or Kirk would have explained this briefly, but they didn’t.  Shame. They should have dominated that debate since RRS admitted they would have to call Leonardo da Vinci to prove the Mona Lisa was actually painted. *shaking head*  I don’t fault Ray and Kirk’s position, just their lack of preparedness.

Let me get this straight. The roofing nail is "design," but the bat's sonar capability is an "accident." Hmm... Do you also believe tornadoes build trailor parks?

richard955
User is offlineOffline
I think is lame to quote

I think is lame to quote myself. But as the discussion goes in circles I guess the arguments have to go to...

richard955 wrote:

Hi Via Crucis,

I think there are 2 arguments against your position.

If time and space begins at the Big Bang (the beginning of the universe) then to talk about "What caused the Big Bang?" or "What was before the Big Bang?" is nonsensical as "caused" and "before" are concepts that require time. So, unless we find evidence and expand our language into some form of "time" or "universe" outside the reality we know, talking about what was before the beginning of time is inherently nonsense. (Personally I don't like this argument, but I have to accept it because it looks valid)

If we discount the above argument and start talking about a reality outside our universe everyone starts making assumptions (because there is no evidence to go on). Most theist and atheist assume something eternal and uncaused.

The theist assumes a personal creator (extremely complex entity) which plans and starts the universe.

The atheist assumes a 'meta-universe' with some fundamental laws which lead to the creation of universes. One theory states that universes appear out of nothing due to some form of "uncertainty principle" and most collapse back to nothing, but sometimes they get to grow as large as the universe we are in.

If I am to choose between these stances I find the 'atheist' version more compelling because it resembles the vast impersonal universe we are in.

A side note, the theist position I presented is called "deism" and I don't think most atheist have a problem with that. When the theist makes claims (and tries to impose them on others) about the creator intervening in this universe (writing certain books, impregnating certain women, listening to prayers, etc.) we start having problems because the evidence always is weak or nonexistent.

Cheers,

Richard

P.S. Via Crucis if your signature is you opinion on evolution, please read more biology to understand it better.

A mystic is someone who wants to understand the universe, but is too lazy to study physics.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just on a side note, if you

Just on a side note, if you even bothered to open science book in regards to bats and sonar you would understand that it is no "accident" but a survival tool, perfected over millions and millions (roughly 35 million) years, thanks to evolution. Not some creator, and almost all bats can see, but use sonar in complete darkness or near complete darkness. However the degree of sonar capability varies from species to species, new world (american) bats use a high pitch (ultrasonic) sonar, while old world bats (australia and some found in africa) use a much more cruder form of sonar that uses audiable clicks. Yeah, even your signature shows your lack of understanding of basic scientific principles, theories and probably laws as well.

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline
askseekknock wrote:

askseekknock wrote:

1) the universe exists in space and time
2) time did not always exist
3)the universe had to have started because we know that it has not existed forever for reasons stated above
3) space did not always exist because space cannot exist without time.

4)matter did not always exist because matter exists within time

Ok so far Smiling talking about our space and our time, time and space may exist in other possible universes

askseekknock wrote:

5) before the universe there was not time nor space therefore something had to cause time and space

Not necessarily, theoretically nothing can cause time and space

http://www.csicop.org/sb/2006-06/reality-check.html

askseekknock wrote:

6) the cause of this can exist forever because techniquely forever isnt even a factor when time is not present therefore the mechanism that creates time needs no cause

If you follow the theory, that nothing caused the universe to pop into existence then this is correct

askseekknock wrote:

7) An Ultimate creator needs no cause but must exist!!!

Nothing needs to exist, if nothing caused this universes creation

That which may exists outside our time is not necessarily infinite

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rev_Devilin wrote: Not

Rev_Devilin wrote:

Not necessarily, theoretically nothing can cause time and space

http://www.csicop.org/sb/2006-06/reality-check.html

6) the cause of this can exist forever because techniquely forever isnt even a factor when time is not present therefore the mechanism that creates time needs no cause

Sorry Rev I did not have a chance to read your link yet but wouldn't the creation of something require at least two points in time? A point before the thig was created and a point when it was created. I don't understand how people can postulate a creation event while denying that time existed.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:

Gauche wrote:

Sorry Rev I did not have a chance to read your link yet but wouldn't the creation of something require at least two points in time? A point before the thig was created and a point when it was created. I don't understand how people can postulate a creation event while denying that time existed.

Smiling

This is our universe thus our time, the beginning of our universe was the beginning of our-time single point bang off we go , time may or may not exist outside our universe, so one could speculate about the possibility of two ponits in time, but as far as we are concerned there only needs to be one point

There may have been time before this universe, but as this is outside our universe, then this would be outside our understanding at present

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rev_Devilin wrote: This is

Rev_Devilin wrote:

This is our universe thus our time, the beginning of our universe was the beginning of our-time single point bang off we go , time may or may not exist outside our universe, so one could speculate about the possibility of two ponits in time, but as far as we are concerned there only needs to be one point

There may have been time before this universe, but as this is outside our universe, then this would be outside our understanding at present

I have heard of theories that the univers will expand at increasing speeds until parts of it rupture and split from ours creating universes that are are completely separate.

here is an except from such an article:

"In their model, dark energy becomes very dense and sets the universe expanding at such a rate that it approaches the big rip. The universe tears into small patches that rush away from each other faster than the speed of light. But the destruction is then halted, as the density of dark energy becomes equal to the density of the universe. At this point, each patch crunches in on itself. "All the patches, of which there are a huge number, will separately contract into disparate universes," says Frampton. Each patch will then bounce outwards again, creating a new universe."

NewScientist

is this what you are referring to?

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Let me put it this way; it

Let me put it this way;

it is impossible for time and the universe to have a beginning. I hope that is simple enough for everyone to grasp.

If you think this is wrong it is because you do not know what either is.

Let me illustrate. If time began, what started time?

I'm asking you this, not because time had a beginning (it did not), but to get you to think. Many of you don't seem to be able to wrap your mind around this. You are unknowingly contradicting yourself if you say time had a beginning. Saying time had a beginning will result in an infinite regression. An infinite regress in a series of propositions arises if the truth of proposition P1 requires the support of proposition P2, and for any proposition in the series Pn, the truth of Pn requires the support of the truth of Pn+1. There would never be adequate support for P1, because the infinite series needed to provide such support could not be completed. Why? In saying time was caused, that which caused time also would have needed to  have existed in TIME! It's impossible for a cause not to have time ITSELF!

Time existed before the bigbang.

The universe existed before the bigbang.

The concept that there was NOTHING is absurd! There was always stuff (and it wasn't a god. If anyone says this you simply pulled it out of your ass).

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote: Let me put it

AiiA wrote:
Let me put it this way;

it is impossible for time and the universe to have a beginning. I hope that is simple enough for everyone to grasp.

I'm asking you this, not because time had a beginning (it did not), but to get you to think. Many of you don't seem to be able to wrap your mind around this. You are unknowingly contradicting yourself if you say time had a beginning. Saying time had a beginning will result in an infinite regression. An infinite regress in a series of propositions arises if the truth of proposition P1 requires the support of proposition P2, and for any proposition in the series Pn, the truth of Pn requires the support of the truth of Pn+1. There would never be adequate support for P1, because the infinite series needed to provide such support could not be completed. Why? In saying time was caused, that which caused time also would have needed to have existed in TIME! It's impossible for a cause not to have time ITSELF!

The concept that there was NOTHING is absurd! There was always stuff (and it wasn't a god. If anyone says this you simply pulled it out of your ass).

The Big Bang timed the universe to be 14.5 billion years old. Time is interlinked with space, no space, no time. Our universe did have a beginning. 

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:   I have

Gauche wrote:

I have heard of theories that the univers will expand at increasing speeds until parts of it rupture and split from ours creating universes that are are completely separate.

here is an except from such an article:

"In their model, dark energy becomes very dense and sets the universe expanding at such a rate that it approaches the big rip. The universe tears into small patches that rush away from each other faster than the speed of light. But the destruction is then halted, as the density of dark energy becomes equal to the density of the universe. At this point, each patch crunches in on itself. "All the patches, of which there are a huge number, will separately contract into disparate universes," says Frampton. Each patch will then bounce outwards again, creating a new universe."

NewScientist

is this what you are referring to? 

It's an interesting hypothesis, Smiling I was thinking along these lines

Time for us started at the creation of our matter, no matter no gravity no time, gravity/matter and time are linked

That which may or may not exist without gravity has no time, as we perceive it

Think of it this way, once matter is created you can start a stopwatch, for that matter in that universe

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote: Let me put it

AiiA wrote:
Let me put it this way;

Matter = gravity = time, as we understand it

AiiA wrote:

I'm asking you this, not because time had a beginning (it did not), but to get you to think. Many of you don't seem to be able to wrap your mind around this. You are unknowingly contradicting yourself if you say time had a beginning. Saying time had a beginning will result in an infinite regression. An infinite regress in a series of propositions arises if the truth of proposition P1 requires the support of proposition P2, and for any proposition in the series Pn, the truth of Pn requires the support of the truth of Pn+1. There would never be adequate support for P1, because the infinite series needed to provide such support could not be completed. Why? In saying time was caused, that which caused time also would have needed to have existed in TIME! It's impossible for a cause not to have time ITSELF!

Energy was accelerated, creating matter, at this point our time as we perceive it began

AiiA wrote:

Possibly but not within our understanding of time

AiiA wrote:

Possibly

AiiA wrote:

The concept that there was NOTHING is absurd!

True Smiling but once one starts talking about before our universe, any hypothesis is as good as another until we determine the truth

AiiA wrote:

There was always stuff 

Stuff that doesn't exert a gravitational field does not exist within our understanding of time

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rev_Devilin wrote:

Rev_Devilin wrote:

They equal how? Matter/energy is stuff, but time is not stuff. Time is a measure of the activity of stuff.

Quote:

Energy was accelerated, creating matter, at this point our time as we perceive it began
Acceleration is defined as the rate of change of velocity. Velocity can only be measured in terms of time. Therefore, time existed before matter was produced. Also, energy cannot be expressed without using a reference to time.

Quote:
AiiA wrote:

This does not evince that time did not exist.

Quote:
AiiA wrote:

Possibly
The conditions that initiated the bigbang existed Somewhere and that somewhere was (there's that word again, it refers to time) in a universe.

Quote:
AiiA wrote:

True Smiling but once one starts talking about before our universe, any hypothesis is as good as another until we determine the truth
Are you saying someone famous and acknowledge has to say it before it is deemed true?

Quote:
AiiA wrote:

There was always stuff

Stuff that doesn't exert a gravitational field does not exist within our understanding of time

This does not magically eliminate that stuff had to have existed. Follow the logic even if it is difficult to accept where it goes.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:  They equal how?

Quote:

They equal how? Matter/energy is stuff, but time is not stuff. Time is a measure of the activity of stuff.

Time can be manpulated. Time is physical. Time cannot exist without space. 

This topic is speculation of what happened before the Big Bang. It could be a multiverse or a singularty. Nobody knows for sure, and we may never know.  

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Quote:

Time is not a physical thing.

Quote:
This topic is speculation of what happened before the Big Bang. It could be a multiverse or a singularty. Nobody knows for sure, and we may never know.

You who believes there's/was a 'god' is saying this topic is speculation!? LOL

The reasoning bears out.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote: Cpt_pineapple

AiiA wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Quote:

Then explain why time can be manipulated. 

Quote:

Quote:

The reasoning bears out.

Fine. Prove the multiverse exists, I'll buy you a ticket to Sweden to collect your noble prize. 

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote:

AiiA wrote:

Indeed without stuff, there is no measurement, thus no time as we understand it

AiiA wrote:

Acceleration is defined as the rate of change of velocity. Velocity can only be measured in terms of time. Therefore, time existed before matter was produced. Also, energy cannot be expressed without using a reference to time.

But velocity cannot be measured without stuff, with our understanding of time, we assume acceleration cause-and-effect, but this acceleration velocity cannot be measured until the creation of matter, ie there's nothing to measure it against, until gravity is created thus space-time as we understand it, ie no gravity no space-time no time, because we are lacking a dimension to measure time against

Energy that exist without exerting a gravitational field exists outside are understanding of time, without all 4 dimensions, are understanding of time is nonsensical

Unless you care demonstrate, how time can be measured in less than 4 dimensions

AiiA wrote:

This does not evince that time did not exist.

Smiling would you like me to disprove a negative

AiiA wrote:

Possibly

The conditions that initiated the bigbang existed Somewhere and that somewhere was (there's that word again, it refers to time) in a universe.

Possibly Smiling

AiiA wrote:

Are you saying someone famous and acknowledge has to say it before it is deemed true?

Nope I'm saying that it is beyond our understanding at the moment, it is plausible that mankind may reach a point where science can give a explanation

AiiA wrote:

There was always stuff

This does not magically eliminate that stuff had to have existed. Follow the logic even if it is difficult to accept where it goes.

"stuff had to have existed" without evidence, this is hypothetical speculation, one could speculate anything without evidence, hypothetical speculation how-ever plausible to an individual, does not make it necessarily true

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: AiiA

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
AiiA wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Quote:

It can be "manipulated" by changing speed. It does not need to be a material thing; it is not a material thing.
Temperature is not a material thing and is a measure, it can be "manipulated" by increasing or decreasing heat or cold.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

The reasoning bears out.

Fine. Prove the multiverse exists, I'll buy you a ticket to Sweden to collect your noble prize.
There's no prize for reasoning.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline

AiiA wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:
AiiA wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Quote:

It can be "manipulated" by changing speed. It does not need to be a material thing; it is not a material thing.
Temperature is not a material thing and is a measure, it can be "manipulated" by increasing or decreasing heat or cold.

No, time is a physical thing. Time slows as things move faster. If time wasn't physical, there would be no time dilation.

Temperature is a measure of heat (a form of energy).

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

The reasoning bears out.

There's no prize for reasoning.

Translation: 'I have no proof of the multiverse but I believe it anyway, and I laugh at Theists because they believe without proof.' 

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: No,

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

No, time is a physical thing.
Prove it

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline

AiiA wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Prove it

I thought you'd never ask

(delta)t=t/(1-v^2/c^2)

Throw in Lorentz transformations and you get time as the fourth dimension.

Need more?

Black holes and time dilation. Black holes warp space(and hence time) such that any object caught in it's pull, will have infinite dilation.

Time can be manipulated and hence is physical. 

Q.E.D 

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: AiiA

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

AiiA wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Prove it

(delta)t=t/(1-v^2/c^2)

Need more?

Black holes and time dilation. Black holes warp space(and hence time) such that any object caught in it's pull, will have infinite dilation.

Q.E.D
You're full of shit. Space time is not a material object; its an abstract concept to demonstrate the inseparable relationship of matter/energy, space, and time. This garbage you posted does nothing to prove time is physical. The fourth dimension is no more material than your warped imagination. Stop your fucking lying and don't waste any more of my time.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline

AiiA wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

AiiA wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Prove it

(delta)t=t/(1-v^2/c^2)

Need more?

Q.E.D
You're full of shit. Space time is not a material object; its an abstract concept to demonstrate the inseparable relationship of matter/energy, space, and time. This garbage you posted does nothing to prove time is physical. The fourth dimension is no more material than your warped imagination. Stop your fucking lying and don't waste any more of my time.

Translation: 'I don't understand the physics so I am going to resort to insults!'

Did you just honestly say space-time is not physical???

Explain gravity lenses and Einstien rings!  Gravity lenses is when a material object bends space-time!

How can and object bend space-time if space-time is not physical?!!. This is how we detect Dark-Matter!

If you have an actual argument bring it forth. Other wise don't resort to insults. 

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 Illustration of bending

Illustration of bending space-time

Apology plz.

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

(delta)t=t/(1-v^2/c^2)

? did you mean ? (<delta>d) Smiling

Via Crucis
Theist
Via Crucis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vessel wrote: No offense

Vessel wrote:

No offense Via but you are apparently having a serious problem understanding the responses you are receiving. It might be in your best interest if you read some on this subject from a source that is not only attempting to support their theistic beliefs and then, when you have a better grasp of the arguments and concepts you are going to encounter, the discussion might prove much more productive.

I assume you mean that I don't understand the assertion that it is nonsensical to say something existed before time because, as the arguement goes, since time and space co-exist with the universe, there is literally no time or space for a cause of the universe to exist.  Is that pretty much it?  No, I got it loud and clear, and I thought I responded clearly.  It's as unbelievable as Darwinism.  As I said, one would have to believe NO THING (what rocks dream of) exploded into everything.  I just don't have that much faith.

Let me get this straight. The roofing nail is "design," but the bat's sonar capability is an "accident." Hmm... Do you also believe tornadoes build trailor parks?

Vessel
Vessel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Via Crucis wrote:Vessel

Via Crucis wrote:
Vessel wrote:

No offense Via but you are apparently having a serious problem understanding the responses you are receiving. It might be in your best interest if you read some on this subject from a source that is not only attempting to support their theistic beliefs and then, when you have a better grasp of the arguments and concepts you are going to encounter, the discussion might prove much more productive.

I assume you mean that I don't understand the assertion that it is nonsensical to say something existed before time because, as the arguement goes, since time and space co-exist with the universe, there is literally no time or space for a cause of the universe to exist.  Is that pretty much it?  No, I got it loud and clear, and I thought I responded clearly.  It's as unbelievable as Darwinism.  As I said, one would have to believe NO THING (what rocks dream of) exploded into everything.  I just don't have that much faith.

First, no one is saying nothing exploded into everything or anything. In order to say this you would have to consider nothing a state of existence which is clearly non-sensical. Second there is no pre-universe time through or during which everything could have come to be. Third you keep bringing up infinite time which has nothing to do with anything I've referenced as a possibility. It is because of things like the wildly inaccurate phrasing of "nothing exploded into everything", which clearly demonstrate a lack of understanding of what I am saying, that I come to the conclusion that you are not understanding the scenario presented to you.

I would also like to add that it is not necessary to believe in the truth of any scenario as the way in which the universe is, or came to be, until there is ample evidence to consider a particular scenario true. There is absolutely no reason to have faith one way or the other so to claimone scenario takes less faith and one more is unimportant. A belief should not be formed either way if faith is required as support for that belief as faith can not make any differentiation between truth and fiction.

The only honest response to such questions is "I don't know until more evidence is gathered". I am simply presenting to you possibilities, not my personal beliefs. There is not enough evidence for me to presently hold a belief on the subject. But, as long as there are other possibilities to envoke some undefined 'god' concept creator token is not an option. In fact, it is never an option until it is supported by evidence of its own and not simply a lack of evidence for some other scenario.

I realize that you weren't yet envoking your god as an explanation but even your vague claim that the universe had to have been caused and that the cause must be beyond the universe (what you label supernatural and others might still consider natural) is not a necessary conclsion as you seem to think it to be. Until there is a necessary, or highly evidenced, conclusion why not just drop all the faith based beliefs and await accurate information?

“Philosophers have argued for centuries about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but materialists have always known it depends on whether they are jitterbugging or dancing cheek to cheek" -- Tom Robbins

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Rev_Devilin

Rev_Devilin wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

(delta)t=t/(1-v^2/c^2)

? did you mean ? (<delta>d) Smiling

Smiling 

Via Crucis
Theist
Via Crucis's picture
User is offlineOffline
So would you consider

So would you consider yourself more agnostic than atheistic?

I was also presenting a possibility... one that I happen to believe Cool  It seems many people automatically dismiss it primarily because of the other conclusions that would be drawn from it.  As Julian Huxley said, "I suppose the reason we all lept toward Origin is because the idea of God interfered with our sexual mores."

I would argue that the fact we are here in the first place is ample evidence of a cause.

Vessel
Vessel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Via Crucis wrote:So would

Via Crucis wrote:

So would you consider yourself more agnostic than atheistic?

I was also presenting a possibility... one that I happen to believe Cool  It seems many people automatically dismiss it primarily because of the other conclusions that would be drawn from it.  As Julian Huxley said, "I suppose the reason we all lept toward Origin is because the idea of God interfered with our sexual mores."

I would argue that the fact we are here in the first place is ample evidence of a cause.

I consider myself an atheist as I have no god beliefs. I have never believed in a god, am unsure what most people think they are refering to when referencing a 'god', see no evidence of any existence that might be what people are referring to when using the term 'god' and therefor see no reason to consider such an existence a possibility.

Until the point that one can show me what a god is (not what one is not) and evidence (not simply unanswered mysteries) that leads to the existence of a god, I could not form a belief in such an existence. I don't even understand what it is theists think they believe in. To speak of a god is simply to speak of an answer all token for those things which are not understood. The term seems to carry no meaning of its own.

So, call me atheist or agnostic, it makes no difference to me as I lack any definable understanding of what a god is supposed to be and therefor lack both belief (atheist) and knowledge (agnostic) of any god or gods. 

I am unfamiliar with the quote you present and am therefor unsure whether or not the statement is taken out of context. it seems likely it is. With all due respect to Julian Huxley, if you can show me a single atheist on these boards who holds no god belief simply because they find that holding a god belief is undesirable or restricts their freedoms, sexual, moral, or otherwise, I would be amazed. I find it hard to believe that this is what Huxley was saying. Is this what you are presenting the quote as saying?

Such a claim is nothing but anti-atheistic propoganda that many theists use to attempt to paint atheists as immoral or degenerate. It seems to be nothing more than the theist projecting their own emotion based reason-be-damned belief system onto the atheist to make them seem as if they are on intellectually equal footing.

So any atheists here atheist simply because a god belief would restrict you from living your willy-nilly life of sexual pleasure? Bueller?

“Philosophers have argued for centuries about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but materialists have always known it depends on whether they are jitterbugging or dancing cheek to cheek" -- Tom Robbins

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I would like a response to

I would like a response to my evidence plz.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: I

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I thought it was an adroit use of visual aids. Is that the kind of response you want? 

H.P. Lovecraft

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Gauche

Gauche wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I thought it was an adroit use of visual aids. Is that the kind of response you want?

Thank you.

Actually I was talking to AiiA.

Via Crucis
Theist
Via Crucis's picture
User is offlineOffline
I said "many people," not

I said "many people," not "all people."  I've mentioned before that I too used to be an atheist.  I can honestly say that it had nothing to do with lifestyle.  I had outgrown Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, and God was just the next invisible thing to disgard.  However, I couldn't go on with the just-so claims of Darwinism.  Pardon the pun, but there was too much god-of-the-gaps reasoning involved.  I did my own research and came to the conclusion that this world could not possibly have come about any other way than design.

richard955
User is offlineOffline
So you agree that the

So you agree that the argument from origin of the universe can go to an atheist and a deist equally, as it's speculation to talk about what was "before" the Big Bang.

And you are left with the argument from design. My limited understanding of biology conviced me that Darwin was right and the argument from design for living things fails or in other words, evolutionary biology has a very good picture with lots of evidence about the origin of the apparent design in living organisms.

That leaves the argument from design for the constants and laws of nature. Even if this argument is correct it only supports a deist god, one that set things up and then left. Of course this is still an argument from  lack of understanding, so given the history of such arguments it is very likely to fall when more evidence comes to light. On the other hand, we are very biased in trying to understand the origin of this design because whatever the laws of the universe, as long as we exist to think about them, they will be perfectly adjusted for our existance (I think this is the weak anthropic principle). 

So in the end, I think both the atheist and the deist position are consistent with the evidence we have. Occam razzor would suggest that the simplest, atheist position should be adopted, but everyone is free to choose.

Cheers,

richard

P.S. Your signature shows a lack of understanding of evolutionary biology. I suggest you change it if you want to be taken seriously when debating such topics.

A mystic is someone who wants to understand the universe, but is too lazy to study physics.