Absolute Zero

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Absolute Zero

For those, that can receive BBC4 

Absolute Zero (Tue 9pm)
1/2. The Conquest of Cold: Part of the Science You Can't See season. Looking at how science harnessed the art of cooling. From 17th century inventor to Clarence Birdseye, king of frozen food.
     Absolute Zero  (Wen 9 pm)

2/2. The Race for Absolute Zero: Part of the Science You Can't See season. Scientists James Dewar and Heike Kammerlingh Onnes compete to reach within a few degrees of Absolute Zero.

This is a new science program, ? I'm not sure how dumbed down it will be but it may be of some interest for those with an interest in science, and the history of science

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Is there a way to get this

Is there a way to get this online? Most of the people on here are American. Sounds interesting, but last I heard the were within a fraction of a degree of absolute 0.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Is there

MattShizzle wrote:
Is there a way to get this online? Most of the people on here are American. Sounds interesting, but last I heard the were within a fraction of a degree of absolute 0.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/

Soz I'm unable to locate an online feed, although U-tube might have it post broadcast

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Is there

MattShizzle wrote:

Yeah. They are down to pico kelvins.

(wikipedia)

In September 2003, MIT announced a record cold temperature of 450 pK, or 4.5 × 10-10  K in a Bose-Einstein condensate of sodium atoms. This was performed by Wolfgang Ketterle and colleagues at MIT.[3]

for the mathematically dis-inclined, this is .00000000045 degrees above absolute zero.

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: for the

wavefreak wrote:
for the mathematically dis-inclined, this is .00000000045 degrees above absolute zero.

Simply amazing. I do, however, wonder what the consequence of achieving absolute zero would be, if any.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I wonder if it's possible.

I wonder if it's possible. This would mean the motion of the molecules absolutely stopping!

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Simply amazing. I

Quote:
Simply amazing. I do, however, wonder what the consequence of achieving absolute zero would be, if any.

The four horseman of the biblical apocalypse will ride.

..or perhaps nothing.  I'm sure it'll be either one or the other.

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote: The

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

..or perhaps nothing. I'm sure it'll be either one or the other.

I wonder if Plague is any good at poker...

One question that I've wondered and never bothered to look up (someone find it and copy and paste it for me please Laughing) is how these crazy cooks came up with absolute zero. I mean, how did they come about realizing that stuff just doesn't get any colder than 0 Kelvin (It was 0 Kelvin... right? It's been a few years since I've even heard the phrase absolute zero).

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
CrimsonEdge

CrimsonEdge wrote:
RhadTheGizmo wrote:

One question that I've wondered and never bothered to look up (someone find it and copy and paste it for me please Laughing) is how these crazy cooks came up with absolute zero. I mean, how did they come about realizing that stuff just doesn't get any colder than 0 Kelvin (It was 0 Kelvin... right? It's been a few years since I've even heard the phrase absolute zero).

The simple explanation is absolute zero is the absence of temperature. Temperature is loosely atoms vibrating and banging into each other. When they stop vibrating, it is absolute zero.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Absolute zero is pretty much

Absolute zero is pretty much impossible. Space is about 2.7K. Even at max entropy, it will still be slightly above 0K.

Froggy618157725
Theist
Froggy618157725's picture
User is offlineOffline
CrimsonEdge

CrimsonEdge wrote:
RhadTheGizmo wrote:

Kelvin got it by looking at the gas laws. By extrapolating out the data, at about -273ºC, gas has no volume.

Absolute zero cannot be reached. We can, however, get arbitrarily close. If you could reach absolute zero, you could create a machine with 100% efficiency. Of course, that probably wouldn't justify the energy consumption to keep the temperature that low...

The sentence below is false.
The sentence above is true.
This sentence doesn't care.

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: I wonder

MattShizzle wrote:
I wonder if it's possible. This would mean the motion of the molecules absolutely stopping!

According to quantum theory its not actually possible. Absolute 0 would mean that we had precicelly measured the energy of a particle. Exactly and absolutely its 0. This means that we would measure the mommentum AND position of the particle at the same time precisely. There would be no vibration (hence position is known) and the momentum would also be 0. The heisenburg uncertainty principle prevents this. As we get down to this level the minute quantum uncertainties actually come into play, there is an intrinsic "quantum" temperature due to the intrcinsic uncertainty in a say a partciles position, this is incredibly small but its will always prevent absoulte 0 from being reached. 0 is a precise and definite value and the properties of particles are fundamentally and ireducibly probalalistic in nature.