Ongoing discussion on Amazon - need reinforcements!

Frode
Frode's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ongoing discussion on Amazon - need reinforcements!

Hi all,

I've been involved in an ongoing discussion thread on Amazon, and would like to invite you to join in, as I'm a little burnt out in addressing the same issues many times.

The latest post is here and if you'd pop in and give some clear arguments, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,

Frode

(Ronin on the Amazon discussion)

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
WTF? Since when did Amazon

WTF? Since when did Amazon have message boards?

Thandarr
User is offlineOffline
You don't need much help

You don't seem to need much help. You seem to be handling yourself pretty well. You're clearly outnumbered, but you're handling them nicely.

I don't understand the reason for the title of the discussion, "you are all lunatics." Historically, the argumentum ex "stultus es"* has been remarkably unconvincing. If true, the adversary lacks the ability to recognize the validity of the argument.

Thandarr

* Argument from "you're a fool"

Frode
Frode's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, the title of the

Yeah, the title of the thread isn't the nicest one, but at 100+ comments now, it's been an interesting ride.. Smiling

I'm asking for reinforcements as I just feel like (and I'm sure anyone involved in these type of discussions feel it sometimes too) it's all just the same stuff, and even though people claim to have read all the posts, they still make arguments which have been dealt with several times.  So I'm hoping for some fresh views to liven it up a bit. Smiling

Frode
Frode's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: WTF?

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
WTF? Since when did Amazon have message boards?

I don't know how long, but these are 'discussions about products', in this case a book. 

Thandarr
User is offlineOffline
This discussion seems to

This discussion seems to have self-destructed. The participants seem to have moved over to the "There is no hell, you idiots" thread, which has degenerated into a discussion of whether you can see the American flag on the moon with a $3,000 telescope from earth. Unfortunately, it was the non-theist who made the claim that you could.

Amazon really needs to redo their discussion board. First, you can't reply to a particular post. Whatever you say just goes to the end. Second, there's no easy way reference books like, say on MySpace. Since the purpose of Amazon's board should be to sell books, you would think they'd make it easy to link to books.

Oh well, that's the way it goes sometimes.

Thandarr

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
I especially liked the bit

I especially liked the bit where somebody said they didn't need proof/evidence, they had faith!

Thandarr
User is offlineOffline
After weeks of degeneration

After weeks of degeneration, the discussion in the topic "There is no Hell, You Idiots," has at least returned to the general topic of whether there is a god.  I can't say the level of discourse has improved much, though.